• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

http://www.destructoid.com/why-xenoblade-chronicles-had-to-look-like-shit-226518.phtml#ext

A little interesting side thing to think about with all this discussion about Wii U having "inferior" graphics to MS/Sony's next systems. The cost goes up and the scale goes down.

Makes me glad to see them supporting smaller indie games and making comments specifically about budgets related to graphical output.

What do you guys think? is he HD generation a large reason the JRPG is dying?

Good game design trumps everything. It doesn't matter how much better technology gets.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Deguello

Just say no to "edgy" link. Almost as bad as Sonic in a low rider with a gat. Maybe worse.

Nintendo needs an edgy Link like they need to go iOS exclusive. In other words not at all.

Aren't you in danger of suggesting Nintendo be artistically stifled, inert if you will? Are you denying the artistic merits of a realistic depiction of elves and those weird dog-pig things?

Nintendo should be artistically free to make whatever they want, dammit!
So long as what they want falls in line with contemporary ideas of edginess.

Holy crap, I just found a video of Nintendo's E3 speech from 2001...where Iwata said one of the biggest problems with gaming was "almost every hit game playing on every console". He actually didn't want multiplatform games on the Gamecube, he said Nintendo was going to fight the trend. I guess they succeeded :)

ffdgh

Holy crap, I just found a video of Nintendo's E3 speech from 2001...where Iwata said one of the biggest problems with gaming was "almost every hit game playing on every console". He actually didn't want multiplatform games on the Gamecube, he said Nintendo was going to fight the trend. I guess they succeeded :)

....its amazing how history can really bite one in the butt.

They also lost support from third parties too.

HylianTom

Banned
Good game design trumps everything. It doesn't matter how much better technology gets.
That's what I've been arguing. We're getting to that point where art style matters most, and technical power differences make leaps from hardware less and less noticeable. We'll see Gamespot characters putting Wii U version screenshots next to PS4 version screenshots, pointing to much more subtle differences than seen this generation, and they'll look ridiculous when they deem the Wii U version crap whilst doing so.

They'll stretch and stretch in trying to knock hardware. It's going to get very silly in the next few years. Or should I say.. sillier?

I capped a pic from that video where they were talking about MegaGames. I guess I deleted it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nintendo's far from perfect, but they'd be the one console manufacturer to best understand it.

I think it has more to do with nintendo not wanting to go into the death spiral of increasing develepment costs that the rest of the industry seems to be going into rather then a 'design over technology' philosophy. if the tech and dev costs were not as expensive as they are now, nintendo would surely go for the tech.

antonz

Its an interesting video because Iwata totally didnt see the future where multiplatform is the standard. The days of exclusives are over except for 1st party basically.

Already began the Wii talk in 2001 too.

HylianTom

Banned
I think it has more to do with nintendo not wanting to go into the death spiral of increasing develepment costs that the rest of the industry seems to be going into rather then a 'design over technology' philosophy. if the tech and dev costs were not as expensive as they are now, nintendo would surely go for the tech.
I'm wondering just how far down this rabbit hole we'll see things go. It might be even worse this time around: third parties who were financing their AAA games on the Unsustainable Twins with crap Wii games sales might not find casual gamer money on the U with the same success that they had on the Wii. This could spell biiiig trouble.

Also: 611 hours remain.

I'm wondering just how far down this rabbit hole we'll see things go. It might be even worse this time around: third parties who were financing their AAA games on the Unsustainable Twins with crap Wii games sales might not find casual gamer money on the U with the same success that they had on the Wii. This could spell biiiig trouble.

For example, didn't some/Ubisoft say that AC/one of their franchises was basically funded by the profits from Just Dance games?

ffdgh

....I can't see the moon.

What he said was the truth, it is happening now the same games on every system with a small list of games getting a lot of sequels that's what he wanted to fight not multiplatform games but the over saturation of one game and its clones (See Call Of Duty)
That was only part of it, he also said that one of the big troubling trends was hit games being released on all platforms, which increases the fact of all games looking the same. Nintendo was going to fight all of those trends.

HylianTom

Banned
For example, didn't some/Ubisoft say that AC/one of their franchises was basically funded by the profits from Just Dance games?
I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.
(this is the Ubi that apologized to Wii owners for crap games in 2007 and pledged to bring better games in the future)(ha. ha. ha.)

Funny thing though, isn't it? I can hear it now..

"We would be making more AAA PS720 games, but we don't have enough suckers buying crap games on Nintendo's console anymore. So we can't afford to spend X million making and marketing Game Y for those consoles. Sorry about that. Anyone interested in a single-A game?"

Aren't you in danger of suggesting Nintendo be artistically stifled, inert if you will? Are you denying the artistic merits of a realistic depiction of elves and those weird dog-pig things?

Nintendo should be artistically free to make whatever they want, dammit!
So long as what they want falls in line with contemporary ideas of edginess.

Absolutely not. In fact, quite the opposite. I'm saying that they don't need to be edgy the same way a studio Ghibli movie doesn't. I don't want some marketing department retard stuffing unmitigated garbage into games that don't need it just because they think it might sell better.

Does Princess Mononoke need a wisecracking hero with a Bieber 'do? Nope. Does Princess Mononoke have a great story with some fairly serious themes in it? Yep.

If they wanted to they could easily go in a more serious direction both story and presentation wise and it'd work just fine in the context of the series. However, they need to do it in a way that makes sense, not because it makes a few gamers that don't care about the series happy.

magash

(this is the Ubi that apologized to Wii owners for crap games in 2007 and pledged to bring better games in the future)(ha. ha. ha.)

"We would be making more AAA PS720 games, but we don't have enough suckers buying crap games on Nintendo's console anymore. So we can't afford to spend X million making and marketing Game Y for those consoles. Sorry about that. Anyone interested in a single-A game?"

I think you might be referring to what the CEO of Ubisoft said about them basically taking the profits of Wii games and funding HD game development.

I remember I was in high school, and I was at summer football practice, but all I could think about was getting home and checking Space World coverage. All I could think about was how that awesome Link vs Ganondorf sword fight from a year earlier would be fully fleshed out into a game.

And then I went to IGN, and there was a picture of toon Link, and I think the headline was something like "Take a deep breath and click."

I did end up really enjoying Wind Waker and can definitely appreciate the art style now, but back then it was so damaging.

Something that bothered me about this switch and still does (despite really loving an appreciating Wind Waker) is...why is Zelda the series that got cel-shaded? How come there is (to this day) not a SINGLE cel-shaded MARIO game? Why make Zelda, the semi-serious adventure franchise, the cartoony one and not Mario, the already cartoony franchise?! Yeah, I know the developers just wanted to make an Animal Treasure Island video game, but still...

Something that bothered me about this switch and still does (despite really loving an appreciating Wind Waker) is...why is Zelda the series that got cel-shaded? How come there is (to this day) not a SINGLE cel-shaded MARIO game? Why make Zelda, the semi-serious adventure franchise, the cartoony one and not Mario, the already cartoony franchise?! Yeah, I know the developers just wanted to make an Animal Treasure Island video game, but still...
Pretty sure I remember some interview with Miyamoto from the time, where he basically said it was he that made the decision to go with the cel-shaded look. They were working on a Zelda to match the art style of the Spaceworld video, and he had character designers asking him things like whether Link should wear ear-rings. And Miyamoto didn't even want to think about that, to him Link was this young, energetic, pure kid, he didn't want to think about a teenage Link. So he decided to make the game look like a cartoon, where they could get away with having a young Link without looking like a rehash of Ocarina of Time.

Yka

What does this mean?

I think it means that Platinum Games is developing an exclusive Wii U title for Nintendo!

Kamiya and Star Fox confirmed?

Yes, I think that rumors about a Star Fox game are right but this ”Retro Studios is developing Star Fox!” just doesn't feel right to me because:

1. Retro Studios has hired people who have worked on Darksiders and Uncharted series.

Good resume for working on a Zelda game? I think so. Star Fox? Not so much.

Link to source

2. Retro Studios is working on "a project everyone wants us to do".

So is it Star Fox? I don't think so. Could it be Zelda? Yes, many people, if not everyone wants Retro Studios to do a Zelda game.

Link to source

3. Shigeru Miyamoto's statement/hint:

Wired said:
"As you know, we have already collaborated with Retro for the Metroid Prime series in the past," Miyamoto told Wired. "And I think when we talk about any other franchise, Zelda might be a possible franchise for that collaboration."

I think that Retro Studios did the last years Zelda tech demo and has been working on a Zelda game ever since.

Link to source

Miyaomoto was asked about Star Fox two years ago:

MCVUK said:
When GamesTM told Miyamoto that they’d love to see a new Starfox game for Wii, he replied: “Me too.”

He also previously said to Japanese games magazine Famitsu that the Wiimote could be used to control the Arwing in Starfox.

Link to source

Hideki Kamiya tweeted soon after that about a new Star Fox game (@PG_kamiya):

Hideki Kamiya said:
”If they had the team that made Star Fox 64 make it...”

and

"I want Nintendo's staff to come to Platinum, stick guns at us and tell us 'You guys make a new Star Fox.'"

Link to source

Link to source

Platinum Games is busy with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Anarchy Reigns (both 2012 releases) but we don't know what Kamiya is working on. His latest game Bayonetta was released over two and half years ago. Maybe he is designing/directing Wii U Star Fox in collaboration with Dylan Cuthbert's Q-Games (Star Fox Command and Star Fox 64 3D).

Star Fox (Platinum Games/Q-Games, 2012/Launch) and The Legend of Zelda (Retro Studios/EAD, 2013)!

What do you guys think? Is my reasoning sound? Am I missing something?

Here is my revised Nintendo press conference prediction:

Nintendo games at E3 2012

Wii U

- Pikmin 3 (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- Wii U Play (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- F-Zero (Monster Games, 2012/Launch)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- Star Fox (Platinum Games/Q-Games, 2012/Launch)
- The Legend of Zelda (Retro Studios/EAD, 2013)
- Eternal Darkness 2 (Silicon Knights, 2013)
- Yoshi's Island (Good-Feel, 2013)
- Endless Ocean 3 (Arika, 2013)
- New Miyamoto/Koizumi IP (EAD Tokyo 2., 2013)
- New Takahashi RPG (Monolith Soft, 2013)
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD (EAD Tokyo 1., 2013)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Grezzo, 2013)

3DS

- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (EAD, 2012)
- Luigi's Mansion 2 (Next Level Games, 2012)
- Animal Crossing (EAD, 2012)
- Paper Mario (Intelligent Systems, 2012)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 (Retro Studios, 2012)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 3D (EAD, 2012)
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong (NST, 2013)
- Kirby's Adventure 2 (HAL, 2013)
- Metroid Dread (EAD, 2013)

Exclusive third-party Wii U games

- Killer Freaks (Ubisoft, 2012/Launch)
- Dragon Quest X HD (Square Enix, 2012/Japanese launch)
- Sonic Universe (Sonic Team/EAD Tokyo 1., 2013)
- Kingdom Hearts 3 (Square Enix, 2013)
- Monster Hunter 4 HD (Capcom, 2013)

Believe! Hmm... okay, maybe half of those new games will be announced.

In production but no presence at E3 2012

Wii U

- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2013)

3DS

- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2013)
- Advance Wars (Intelligent Systems, 2013)
- Mario Party (Nd Cube, 2013)

Why are people so convinced Retro is working on Zelda? They aren't! Aonuma already said he's working on it again. At most some of Retro might be helping but they aren't creating a Zelda game themselves and it wouldn't even make sense for one to come out this early

Why are people so convinced Retro is working on Zelda? They aren't! Aonuma already said he's working on it again. At most some of Retro might be helping but they aren't creating a Zelda game themselves and it wouldn't even make sense for one to come out this early

But...but...but...

Uncharted people working for Retro means they must be doing Zelda. Duh.

Ooo, predictions. Lemme see if I can extrapolate from the list.

Here is my revised Nintendo press conference prediction:

Nintendo games at E3 2012

Wii U

- Pikmin 3 (EAD, 2012/Launch) Yes.
- Wii U Play (EAD, 2012/Launch) Yes. Pack-in software most likely.
- F-Zero (Monster Games, 2012/Launch) No. Smaller game from Monster possible.
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (EAD, 2012/Launch) Yes.
- Star Fox (Platinum Games/Q-Games, 2012/Launch) Not happening. Star Fox 64 3D came out last year and did okay, but Q-Games is too busy elsewhere to work with Platinum. Seems too dreamy.
- The Legend of Zelda (Retro Studios, 2013) Possible, but what would Aonuma be doing then? Collaboration?
- Eternal Darkness 2 (Silicon Knights, 2013) Only vague comments, so no.
- Yoshi's Island (Good-Feel, 2013) Only a rumor, but another GF game can be expected.
- Endless Ocean 3 (Arika, 2013) Doubtful. 2nd Game tanked.
- New Miyamoto/Koizumi IP (EAD Tokyo 2., 2013) Always said. Never true D:
- New Takahashi RPG (Monolith Soft, 2013) Teaser video, but no gameplay
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD (EAD Tokyo 1., 2013) Sure hope not.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Grezzo, 2013) Definitely not showing alongside a new Zelda game. Too soon for Grezzo project to debut.

3DS

- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (EAD, 2012) Yes.
- Luigi's Mansion 2 (Next Level Games, 2012) Yes.
- Animal Crossing (EAD, 2012) Yes.
- Paper Mario (Intelligent Systems, 2012) Hope to God, Yes.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 (Retro Studios, 2012) Plausible, but NST could do it, instead.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 3D (EAD, 2012) Never going to happen.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong (NST, 2013) Either this or DKCR2, not both
- Kirby's Adventure 2 (HAL, 2013) Not going to happen this year. Wii collection is it.
- Metroid Dread (EAD, 2013) Metroid is in a slumber.

Exclusive third-party Wii U games

- Killer Freaks (Ubisoft, 2012/Launch) Yes.
- Dragon Quest X HD (Square Enix, 2012/Japanese launch) Too soon. 2013.
- Sonic Universe (Sonic Team/EAD Tokyo 1., 2013) Wishful thinking. :/
- Kingdom Hearts 3 (Square Enix, 2013) No KH other than 3D.
- Monster Hunter 4 HD (Capcom, 2013) Not for E3.

Believe! Hmm... okay, maybe half of those new games will be announced.

In production but no presence at E3 2012

Wii U

- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2013) I disagree. Expect logo or teaser.

3DS

- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2013) See above.
- Advance Wars (Intelligent Systems, 2013) Series is dead/hibernating.
- Mario Party (Nd Cube, 2013)Certainly being worked on, and yes, not shown until next E3.

By the way, I suspect Wii U Play will be similar to what happened with Wii Play Motion - A collection of games made by many developers. Weren't those tech demos made by a number of developers?

Terrell

Star Fox was always kind of Half baked. I find it funny that with what Rare did with SFA the Star Fox universe now draws huge parallels to Star Wars. I would love to see a Star Fox game that draws from all of those elements to make a huge space opera type game.

The Star Wars parallels come from SF64, actually. The dog fights, the giant ships of doom spitting out smaller ships, the crazy bad guy with the crazy-ass mind powers, etc.
All established in SF64.

Not having Achievements/Trophies might be a plus for me :p

I hated them in Smash Bros. too, and they weren't even part of a gamer profile system

If they were that important as a player goal list, they could be incorporated within the game itself. For example, all the Dead Rising achievements still appeared in the Wii version. The real goal should be to get the full, original game. :)

Well, achievements aren't BAD, but I find the implementation currently in use to be a little annoying. The topic has been discussed before, but I think publishers should incorporate achievements into their games in newer ways, like Mii accessories that tie back to the game. Get an achievement in No More Heroes 3? Get Travis Touchdown sunglasses and hair options for Mii creations. Get a harder achievement and you can give your Mii a beam katana. Things like that... make them WORTH GETTING other than to increase an e-peen.
Nintendo will set the tone for how to incorporate them, but I think that they'll figure out a way to make them fun outside the game experience.

It's possible.
Though, at the same time, MS making you pay doubly just to use their online and Sony suddenly charging to use theirs might change that as well.

The "network shackles" thing really doesn't work as a means to keep people. MySpace crumbled, ICQ crumbled, every social platform up til now fell apart when a better option became available. If people see their friends own a WiiU, XBL and PSN aren't going to be enough to make them stay.

Deguello

Absolutely not. In fact, quite the opposite. I'm saying that they don't need to be edgy the same way a studio Ghibli movie doesn't. I don't want some marketing department retard stuffing unmitigated garbage into games that don't need it just because they think it might sell better.

Does Princess Mononoke need a wisecracking hero with a Bieber 'do? Nope. Does Princess Mononoke have a great story with some fairly serious themes in it? Yep.

If they wanted to they could easily go in a more serious direction both story and presentation wise and it'd work just fine in the context of the series. However, they need to do it in a way that makes sense, not because it makes a few gamers that don't care about the series happy.

Sometimes I have to remember that just because it reads sarcastically to me doesn't mean it read sarcastically to everyone. I agree with you. Of course I don't think Nintendo needs to "edge up" anything. That way Shadow the Hedgehog lies. The sentiment that "Nintendo needs to let their balls drop so I can pretend mine have" is a pretty tiresome one.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Someone earlier this thread predicted that Retro was working on Star Wars. I think that's an astute guess. Universally people wished for at light saber game built around the wiimote, so something "everyone wants us to do" would fit that description.

Sometimes I have to remember that just because it reads sarcastically to me doesn't mean it read sarcastically to everyone. I agree with you. Of course I don't think Nintendo needs to "edge up" anything. That way Shadow the Hedgehog lies. The sentiment that "Nintendo needs to let their balls drop so I can pretend mine have" is a pretty tiresome one.

I definitely know that feel, bro. Shit's completely ridiculous.

I generally don't do sarcasm on message boards this big, too many peeps to keep track of and it doesn't come across well in text.

I am wishing the WiiU was still Project Cafe at this point and we knew nothing about the controller or name

nothing at all but a code name coming into this E3

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I actually lol'd : )

Gahiggidy

I am wishing the WiiU was still Project Cafe at this point and we knew nothing about the controller or name

nothing at all but a code name coming into this E3

Even better, you could be about to come out of a 6 year coma and you could celebrate by watching two generations of Nintendo system reveals back to back!

the fact that Nintendo is keeping these big secrets just to give me may 50% more power over PS360 is something I should be pissed about seriously

all of the secrecy deserves a better payoff than that, I know 50% more is not the exact range but when people say 2-3X more than 360 it feels like a minor step to all

so much NDAs for just that little bit :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom