• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

On another matter, it will be interesting to follow the in-process implementation of the Mario Kart 3DS patch, to anticipate what we'll have in this department on Wii U.

Obviously, they need to ditch the one or two unnecessary windows that display 0$ prices and consider patchs as such and not eShop downloadable content.

Awwww yeah. Gonna play MK7 now, I know everyone will be picking Wuhu Mountain now, but for the right reasons, because it's a great track.

I hope Wii U is just like the Xbox 360, just press A and get a quick 5 second update.

KageMaru

:) actually i m curios to know what you didn't see?here whatever we are discussing for past year or so is based on history of Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony which gives us the trend to think. From nintendo history, whatever they show for demos are always lesser than the game itself.. And what we should expect from customized power7 with customized dx10 ~ 11 level gpu with embedded ram and closed system to produce; which type of results??

I don't see anything that would be impossible on the PS360 and what is shown is a far cry from the tech demo EatChildren posted earlier.

I agree with what you are saying... "Looking" is completely subjective, and opinionated... but I base it on the guestimated measurements purely of the GFLOPs available from those cards... For instance, if the 360 can produce 240GFLOPs, than I am expecting the Wii U's GPU to produce about 720GFLOPs (this is just a guess based on talks with BG, that may or may not of included long walks on the beach ;) And if that is the case with Wii U, and we know that PS4 set out for 1800GFLOPs, and Xbox3 to have 2100GFLOPs... well, that leaves them somewhere around ~3X greater than Wii U.

A stop gap is what I'm expecting the Wii U to look like, and I'm fine with that, just give me amazing Asymmetric Gameplay, a Wiimote+ in the box, a handheld that allows me to take my Wii U games to my bed, and games that look better than Uncharted 3 with some Tessellation and better lighting... I mean I'm always buying the console from the house that Mario built, and I own a PC that will produce graphics not only better than Wii U, but better than PS4/XB3, so what do I care if the Wii U's graphics will be outdated, that isn't the reason PC gamers buy consoles.

I see, thanks.

It is reasonable to assume that the PS4 and Xb³ can reach those goals without taking substantial losses per console and without going higher in price than, say, what the Xbox 360 started at? I would think that they'd be a big gun shy on repeating that facet of the last generation, given how much the former is still in the red and how long it took the latter to get out of it.

It's highly highly likely that both MS and sony will take a loss next gen, especially if they plan for an even longer life-cycle. They'll just do what they could not to lose as much as this gen.

Didn't Microsoft have to pay something like fifty million dollars for exclusivity on some useless GTA IV DD add-on? I shudder to think how much they'd demand to have their game absent on consoles with a combined >120 million user base already prepped for the title via a prequel release during a holiday season. I don't think Nintendo can foot a quarter billion dollars or more for bragging rights.

It was more of a loan IIRC that MS gave them to fund the development, but it wasn't a full out pay off since MS would get that money back. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it went down.

why do we think that WiiU itself will be similar or bit more powerful than current gen and ps4 and xbox720 to be far more powerful? We don't have any facts?!! is it more on biased opinions ?

There are many logical reasons why the PS4/720 will be more powerful than the Wii-U. One key factor is it would be a huge waste to launch a console that is on par with the Wii-U when they already have systems out that are almost as good. It's very expensive to launch a console and they are not going to waste the money on a system that is a little bit more powerful than their current offerings.

Snakeyes

WTF, this shit is badass. It's basically what I expect(ed?) from the Wii U when we began speculation on it last year. Of course with more relevant to Nintendo parts and customized designs (Power7 Derivative Tri-Core CPU; 32MB EDRAM; no hard drive).

They're very similar aren't they? Looks like the U is a bit behind to me though.

Wii U being pretty much the home version of the next-gen Taito board would be an easy way for it to get arcade games, especially with its peripherals adding to the experience.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
This stuff about how many frames per second are gained would mean more if we knew what the fps was before. 5 extra is a lot different depending on if it was 60, 30, 20, or 1 before.

I already answered to BP about that, and it's not set in stone, it's in development you know, it's evolving.

It was roughly 30 fps+ 3 months ago with intensive use of the padlet. After 3 sdk, further optimizations of their own (how they run their game on the system to sum it up), of the middleware used, and one additional dev kit, they have obviously at the very least 10 more fps to play with. Now, will they use this room by returning to 30fps and implementing more effects, etc, or leave the framerate that way, i guess it will be the first option.

Now it's lunch time :p

It's highly highly likely that both MS and sony will take a loss next gen, especially if they plan for an even longer life-cycle. They'll just do what they could not to lose as much as this gen.

Yeah, taking a loss initially was seen as a pretty common procedure well before this generation. I was indeed talking about not taking phenomenal losses as they did this time around.

It was more of a loan IIRC that MS gave them to fund the development, but it wasn't a full out pay off since MS would get that money back. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it went down.

This makes the situation seem much more sane. I was not aware that the arrangement was as such. Thank you.

Techies, how do these rumored Taito Type X3 specs compare to the rumored Wii U specs?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 (3.1Ghz)
Chipset: Intel Q67 Express
Gfx: AMD Radeon HD 6770
RAM: 2GB DDR3
HDD: 160GB SATA 3.0 (2.5")
Sound: 7.1 HD Audio
PSU: 600W
OS: Windows Standard 7 Embedded 64bit / Windows XP Embedded SP3 32bit

Dang, Taito trying to resurrect the arcade? I want me some Raystorm, Bubble Bobble, Darius, and New Zealand Story all in 1080p displayed in futuristic looking cabs!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I was speculating about this some time ago. Take for example a game in which the pad special use is to allow the user to play it on the sub screen without a TV. Let's say the game runs at 720p/30fps on the TV. In this case the developer could tweak the game so when played on the sub screen it will render at 60 fps.

I wonder is one crazy dev would go far enough to say... take an on rail portion of a shooter to be only playable in the sub screen and go all crazy with effects and polygon counts.
I'm quite curious about such a scenario myself. One of my major gripes with this passing "HD" generation was not that we got $500 BOM machines per se, but that instead of delivering truly smarter pixels those machines were forced into some HDTV industry submission, and thus producing much greater amounts of not-that-smart pixels. Heck, Xenos was the dream SD GPU setup, but it was forced into territories where it struggled to do what it was meant to. Most ambitious titles on the platform had to go hish-hish wink-wink sub-HD.

With the wiiU devs will have finally a legitimate reason to go proudly SD and be ultra-generous on those pixels. I hope at least some devs will bite and show us ambitious things. I mean, they don't have to fear the 'Ewww, I'd rather poke my eyes with rusty forks and stick them in my behind' reaction of the drama-queen press.

Nibel

BIG NEWS!!!

The new Ben 10 game announced for Wii, DS, 3DS and Wii U. XD

BIG NEWS!!! WHAT A STYLE!!!

:lol

i7KG4xacfbR8j.GIF

why is this thread on the second page? dafuq..
WiiU all of a sudden got weaker than everyone thought and E3 is probably going to be shit because no one cares about games anymore and the pixel shaders are functions that may or not be fixed and glfopz and tflops and megahertz.

That's why.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
why is this thread on the second page? dafuq..
It's the qualm before the storm. And hopefully the storm will start building up by the 21st of May as IdeaMan ought to become member by then, and that means he has got some thread worthy bombs to drop. Otherwise we just have to wait.

There's also GameTrailers' "Bonus Round Episode 606 - Nintendo E3 2012 Preview" on Sunday. That should be quite interesting. Adam Sessler, Ben Fritz, Michael Pachter, Shane Satterfield and of course Geoff Keighley will be hosting the show.

http://www.gametrailers.com/show/bonusround

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wait....

Has the Wii U been confirmed as underpowered or something?
Why all the focus on specs?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Pachter's actually been pretty level-headed about Wii U recently. He had almost an entire Pach-Attack relating to Wii U and while it didn't have some of the most intelligent comments, he didn't doom the system with faux ultimatums.

MDX

#10317: heaping load of bul— I mean, poster from mmo-champion.com suggests Wii U uses quad core processor and Radeon 5850 (~2TFLOPS gpu desktop, 0.8-1.0 TFLOPS mobile model); BurntPork promises to make out with hobo if true (#10319)

]

I think that was just a typo.
He was probably thinking "4850"

StevieP

Banned
I'm quite curious about such a scenario myself. One of my major gripes with this passing "HD" generation was not that we got $500 BOM machines per se, but that instead of delivering truly smarter pixels those machines were forced into some HDTV industry submission, and thus producing much greater amounts of not-that-smart pixels. Heck, Xenos was the dream SD GPU setup, but it was forced into territories where it struggled to do what it was meant to. Most ambitious titles on the platform had to go hish-hish wink-wink sub-HD.

With the wiiU devs will have finally a legitimate reason to go proudly SD and be ultra-generous on those pixels. I hope at least some devs will bite and show us ambitious things. I mean, they don't have to fear the 'Ewww, I'd rather poke my eyes with rusty forks and stick them in my behind' reaction of the drama-queen press.

I think the PS3 had a $8-900 BOM and the 360 had a $600 BOM. I think the BOMs will be a lot closer to the selling price this time around for MS and especially Sony, considering all the other things outside of the console that will be inside the box.

What if everyone went back to a 5-6 year cycle? That would be the smart thing to do.

KageMaru said:
There are many logical reasons why the PS4/720 will be more powerful than the Wii-U. One key factor is it would be a huge waste to launch a console that is on par with the Wii-U when they already have systems out that are almost as good. It's very expensive to launch a console and they are not going to waste the money on a system that is a little bit more powerful than their current offerings.

Let's be fair to the Wii U here. Even if it is technically a "stopgap" or whatever the term of the day is... it has a better CPU than the 360, triple the cache and triple the EDRam, a more modern-featured GPU with at least double the ALUs, and at least double, triple or quadruple the ram depending on which rumour you believe today.

Oddduck

I thought I would do a compilation of every quote I could find about the Wii U's graphics. Maybe it will give people a better idea of what to expect from this console. There's been so many quotes over the last year, and I wanted to compile a lot of them together. I didn't want to quote anyone who was an "unnamed source". These aren't in any particular order, but I tried to provide links and dates for most of them.

Shigeru Miyamoto - June 21, 2011

“We’re very sensitive, of course, to trying to do all of this at an appropriate price. So I don’t know that we would be able to sit here and say that it’s going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now. It’s part of the balance that we strike in terms of trying to find entertainment that is new and unique.”

Link: http://www.edge-online.com/news/miyamoto-price-may-limit-wii-u-power

Shigeru Miyamoto - January 30th, 2012

"Talking about the Wii U, it is going to be compatible with high-definition TV sets, which are now widespread and, with the graphics capabilities catching up to the general trend, some people consider it to be the ‘next-generation Wii.’ On the other hand, as far as graphics capabilities are concerned, there are already other hardware systems with similar functions. Therefore, we have designed the Wii U to be recognized as being different from any other hardware system."

Link: http://nintendoeverything.com/81957...ext-gen-wii-hd-visuals-not-enough-uniqueness/

Shigeru Miyamoto - January 26th, 2012

"Miyamoto stressed that the company’s upcoming console won’t just be about improved visuals. However, he did seem to say that there will be some titles in which visuals will be important – including Zelda."

Link: http://nintendoeverything.com/81779...als-but-graphics-will-be-important-for-zelda/

Satoru Iwata - Jan 30th, 2012

"As we will showcase the Wii U at E3 in June this year, the detailed announcements must wait until then, but we are aiming to make a system which shall not be forced into competing with the others where the contenders can fight only with massive developer resources and long development times as their weapons," he said.

"Looking at the software for home console systems, there are certainly the software titles for which very rich graphics must be reproduced on HD displays and which demand a large number of developers to spend a very long time to develop.

"It is one of the truths that a certain number of such software titles must be prepared, or the consumers will not be satisfied. But we do not think that any and all the software must be created in that fashion.

"When you look at Nintendo's software, extraordinary rich graphics, massive gameplay volume and astonishing rendition effects are not necessarily the appealing point. It is, in fact, important for us that our games are appealing in other ways as well."

He offered Nintendo's quirky Rhythm Heaven series as an example, insisting that, "if we had adopted rich photo-realistic graphics, it would have lost much of its appeal."

"It is not necessary for us to deploy a huge number of people in order to develop such games," he continued, stating that, more than ever, Nintendo is bringing in third parties when it does need to develop more graphically complex titles.

"When we need massive power and have a lack of internal resources, we collaborate with outside resources and pour necessary resources to where they are needed. We are increasing the frequency of working with outside developers where Mr. Miyamoto and our internal developers alone used to develop.

Link: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-satoru-iwata-makes-a-case-for-budget-gaming/

Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken Producer): -February 28, 2012

"According to the report, Harada doesn't think Nintendo is planning to enter the graphics race with the Wii U. Instead games will stand out courtesy of the touchscreen controller and the unique features it enables. "

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-tekken-wii-u-60fps-low-image-latency

Ideaman (Neogaf) - May 2012

"Nowhere, i wrote i was disappointed by the hardware, nor my sources. But they aren't impressed either by the latest dev kits. It's not even "meh", it's "ok, it's an increase, but slight"."

Nintendo press release

"We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

Marvin Donald (Game Director - "Darksiders 2") - March 23, 2012

""So far the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generations. Based on what I understand, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we're not going to being doing anything to up-rez the game, but we'll take advantage of the controller for sure."

Link: http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/43021/GRTV:+Darksiders+II-intervju/

Han Randhawa (art director - Darksiders 2) - March 28, 2012

"There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the Wii U team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting version of Darksiders but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."

Link: http://www.nintengen.com/2012/03/darksiders-2-interview-wii-u-is-pretty.html

Colin Bonstead (Technical director - Darksiders 2) - June 7th, 2012

"When we asked Bonstead if he thought it was possible that the Wii U version of Darksiders II would be the best version of the game, he said, "Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

Link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...3-be-the-best-platform-for-darksiders-ii.aspx

Brian Martel (Gearbox co-founder and chief creative officer)

""We've got the [Aliens: Colonial Marines] engine running on the Wii U, and as far as the console goes, you're going to see textures at a resolution that you haven't seen on [the current] generation," said Martel.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1180954p1.html

Brian Martel (Gearbox co-founder and chief creative officer) - April 4, 2012

Things like the Wii U are becoming very sexy with what you can do with the controller, especially with what you're able to do with the motion tracker or whatever the sub gameplay you'd get to see on there. I think the machine itself will have one of the best looking versions of the game because they've got more RAM [and] they're late in the cycle so they've got this really great processor.

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/gearbox_wii_u_out_rams_xbox_360_and_ps3

Randy Prichard (Gearbox president) - Feb 27th, 2012

"We’ve been intrigued by what we’ve seen so far and are encouraging Nintendo to go as aggressively as they can afford with the performance specifications. We imagine that performance specifications are within affordable reach that would provide undeniable performance advantages over competitive platforms. Nintendo have a lot more experience than we do in managing the balance between performance and cost with their hardware, of course, so I do not want to be presumptuous."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/gearbox_wants_as_much_wii_u_power_as_possible

April 4th, 2012

""It's a really cool system -- it's pretty powerful. I want to be careful, because I don't want to risk any sensitive information that Nintendo's not ready to share yet, but in our experience it's a great system. I think it's a really nice bridge to the next generation. I think people will be surprised. I don't know off the top of my head how many of the specs they've released, so I want to be very careful not to jump the gun, but we're very pleased with the hardware. And even since they gave us our first alpha kit, our very first 'pre-prototype' development hardware that they kind of let us play around with, they've done so many things to make the platform better. So it's getting better for us as developers."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/04/gearbox-boss-says-impressive-wii-u-a-really-nice-bridge-to-the/

Fumihiko Yasuda and Yosuke Hayshi (Team Ninja)
- Jan 31st, 2012

"Team Ninja's Fumihiko Yasuda and Yosuke Hayashi broke the industry-wide silence on Nintendo's next-gen console, claiming its "very easy to develop for... We're finding it very similar to develop for Wii U as for Xbox 360 and PS3."

"They've asked us what we would want from the hardware, and when we give them feedback we can see that they're definitely listening to it and making changes," said Hayashi. "The hardware is still constantly changing."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333935/wii-u-hardware-changing-constantly-claims-team-ninja/

Mark Rein (Epic) - March 12, 2012

"Do you remember the Zelda demo they had on it? Would you not buy a Wii U just to play that? Of course you would. That's what Nintendo is all about. Their hardware is the software delivery service for their great content. That Zelda demo was gorgeous and we can do even more than that with Unreal Engine 3. I think it will do great."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-12-epic-vp-id-be-shocked-if-wii-u-doesnt-do-well

Crytek founder Avni Yerli - September 20, 2011

That's the question we're asking now that Crytek founder Avni Yerli has confessed his love for the Nintendo Wii U's specs. That's right: he's actually excited over the hardware list, calling it "very good." That's excellent news from a development team whose notorious for bringing PC systems to their knees.\

"It's a challenge for designers, but once thought through it can add value, and that's what ultimately important," he told GamesIndustry in an interview. "Our guys in Nottingham, they are very happy with their tests on the dev kits and they're excited about it."

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Wii-U-Avni-Yerli-Minecraft-Crysis-FPS,news-12580.html

Cevat Yerli - (CEO of Crytek) - January 14, 2012

"Crytek's support for Wii U is definitely going to happen. We aren't showing it but we are pretty much running it already. We are expanding in many ways, and some of that is more announced than others.Kinect is major driver for future platforms as well, so Kinect support is important. Having basic Kinect support in the CryEngine is one thing, but I'm talking about really supporting it deeply. CryEngine is going to have deep support.

"Then there are other efforts towards supporting mobile and tablets, which we can only say we are working on. How far we have gone and what we mean is something I can't say more about now.""

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307061/wii-u-gets-crytek-support-with-cryengine/

Rasmus Højengaard - Crytek Director of Creative Development - April 25th, 2012

"Fat chance," developer Crytek said.

Speaking to Destructoid, director of creative development Rasmus Højengaard said a Wii U release was "not on the cards". "I don't think it's going to be possible," he said. "Right now the launch platforms are PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and I don't think it's on the cards to do a Wii U version."

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-25-crytek-fat-chance-of-crysis-3-wii-u

EA Sports - Vice president Andrew Wilson - July 27, 2011

"The short answer is yes [we have a better idea of Wii U's power]; the longer answer is not quite," said Wilson. "As every new piece of hardware and every new development library comes through we get a greater understanding of the power. With our early research we had been very happy with the output of the box and we expect that that will only go up moving forward.

"There are added challenges for us as developers when you think about rendering on two screens and what that might mean, but we're looking forward to that challenge.

"It's still moving," he added, "but I think we'll be able to do anything that we can do on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on the Wii U."

Xbox 360 launched in late 2005, and PS3 launched in late 2006 (March 2007 in Europe). More than five years on, can Wii U not go beyond what PS3 and 360 are capable of?

"I think that's our hope," answered Wilson, "but again we're still in the early stages."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-27-ea-wii-u-can-do-anything-ps3-360-can

Peter Moore (COO of EA) - August 8, 2011

""People will start talking about it being a transitional platform. And I don’t think that’s going to be the case, and here’s why," Moore told IndustryGamers. "I think the [tablet] controller [is huge]. This is not about specs anymore... This is about, as it was with the Wii, is the controller a unique way of enjoying a game experience, regardless of what the graphic fidelity is?"

""Look, you saw Battlefield - how much better could this stuff look at some point? There’s a point of diminishing returns... I don’t even know if there’s anything better than 1080p. In the early days of our industry, this stuff was absolutely about how much better the games looked - shinier helmets, greener grass – but I’ve been around long enough to know that seeing your breath in a football game is a huge deal. But that’s no longer the case any more," he said. "Now it’s about interfaces. Now it’s about building a community in a rich, powerful,way. And now it’s about, 'What is the way we can control the game?' You’ve seen that with Move, you’ve seen it with Wii MotionPlus more recently, and you’ve certainly seen it with Kinect."

"And Nintendo’s job, quite frankly, is to build a better mousetrap with regards to the way that we use the controller. So I don’t know what Xbox and PlayStation’s plans for their next platforms are, but it’s not going to be hanging on graphic fidelity. I guarantee you that."

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-wii-u-wont-be-transitional-platform-says-peter-moore/

Tyrone Rodriquez, Nicalis

"Sadly, the original quote was taken a bit out of context. Here's exactly what I meant: for what we need, and maybe for other developers, the Wii U's [capabilities] are more than sufficient for five to ten years. We're not making AAA games or using a crazy insane 3D engine, but the Wii U can definitely do both." - Tyrone Rodriguez, Nicalis

http://wiiugo.com/nicalis-talks-about-comments-regarding-wii-u-power/

Hip Hop Gamer interview with Darksiders II dev: - April 16, 2012

"Wii U is next gen hardware"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LyZaZhhA_A&feature=youtu.be

IGN/Fudzilla Report - Jan 24, 2012

"In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

I think that was just a typo.
He was probably thinking "4850"

This made me look at the deets for the mobile 4850 and 5850 offerings. Am I reading it right when it says that the 5850 it does 1 TFLOPS with a TDP of 31W? Do they calculate mobile TDP differently? Is it listing the "average TDP" and not the "max TDP"?

BurntPork

Banned
Odduck, you're really trying hard to push hopes down to "on par" aren't you? That "fat chance" thing isn't even related to hardware. And, again, same for the Iwata quote.

Oddduck

Odduck, you're really trying hard to push hopes down to "on par" aren't you? That "fat chance" thing isn't even related to hardware.

Almost half of those quotes are positive quotes about the system being more powerful than on par. This is a compilation post, not a post to bring people's hopes down.

And I put that Fat chance quote to show how opinions are different between 3 different people in Crytek, and how one person's opinion in Crytek shouldn't speak for everyone in Crytek since 2 other people have shown excitement for the console.

Endtroducing

Neo Member
They're very similar aren't they? Looks like the U is a bit behind to me though.

Wii U being pretty much the home version of the next-gen Taito board would be an easy way for it to get arcade games, especially with its peripherals adding to the experience.

I think it'll be more than just "a bit" behind. Those specs looks like a minimum for PS4/nextbox, if MS/Sony goes conservative (early rumors).

Looking at the WiiU demos last e3(and anony dev rumors), it was about on par with ps360. Now it seems Nintendo beef it up a little, but we wont likely seem more than 2x what they had at e3.

BurntPork

Banned
Almost half of those quotes are positive quotes about the system being more powerful than on par. This is a compilation post, not a post to bring people's hopes down.

And I put that Fat chance quote to show how opinions are different between 3 different people in Crytek, and how one person's opinion in Crytek shouldn't speak for everyone in Crytek.
And the reason that the Iwata quote about software is there?

Azure J

Odduck's post needs to be added to the OP ASA-fuckin'-P. That Iwata quote from Jan. 30 is really good and reassures me that even if Wii U "disappoints" the usuals, Nintendo has some crazy little plan they're confident in for getting and maintaining support on the console.

Oddduck

And the reason that the Iwata quote about software is there?

Because that whole quote talks about expensive rich graphics, and how Nintendo is willing to do amazing graphics but not every game needs it? It puts Iwata's philosophy on graphics in context when he talks about software.

Nibel

Man.

Fuck Wii U graphics.
I used to post here very often, but that graphics talk got out of hand on the last few pages. It will look good. Will it be revolutionary? Probably not. But is this really that important?

I mean, I have every relevant system and a computer, and I know better than most people that good graphics mean nothing nowadays. This is probably just the pre-E3 tech-hype mindset most people have right now.

I don't give a damn if it's on par with Jaguar if it provides me with HD Nintendo games, respectable third party efforts and a working online system. That's what I want from a Nintendo system.

Edit: New page - this post is important now people

StevieP

Banned
Not necessarily Wii U, but what are the chances of a new Zelda engine? As in, retirement of the Windwaker one.

The tech that EAD uses is kinda upgraded with each iteration. It's not literally the exact same thing from game to game. Think of it kinda like the Nintendo Source Engine.

Burnpork's insanity is spreading like a plague. The ironic part is he looks sane in this situation by comparison.

>___>

Yesterday, BurntPork was the one saying he would never buy the Wii U and will refuse to watch the E3 presser due to underwhelming specs or something of that sort.

Odduck, you're really trying hard to push hopes down to "on par" aren't you? That "fat chance" thing isn't even related to hardware. And, again, same for the Iwata quote.

It's a bit better to just add some more positive quotes to create a more concise compilation than to just sling the gruffness about, don't you think? Signal to noise, my pigly friend.

Here's my addition:
"Sadly, the original quote was taken a bit out of context. Here's exactly what I meant: for what we need, and maybe for other developers, the Wii U's [capabilities] are more than sufficient for five to ten years. We're not making AAA games or using a crazy insane 3D engine, but the Wii U can definitely do both." - Tyrone Rodriguez, Nicalis

There's also this post: "hiphop gamer interview Re: Darksiders II, wherein dev claims (~8:00) that 'Wii U is next gen hardware'" ← I haven't personally viewed the video, so I don't know much of the context there.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The tech that EAD uses is kinda upgraded with each iteration. It's not literally the exact same thing from game to game. Think of it kinda like the Nintendo Source Engine.

Yesterday, BurntPork was the one saying he would never buy the Wii U and will refuse to watch the E3 presser due to underwhelming specs or something of that sort.

didn't he say he was joking though? he was performing metaparody.

Coen

In all honesty, as long as WiiU displays a clean 720p image, I'll be happy. Nintendo has shown before they can work magic on lesser hardware and there's no doubt in my mind their games will look gorgeous.

I am however pessimistic about WiiU's chances to get significant third party support and I doubt it'll be anything but a Nintendo machine. Not to say there's anything wrong with that. I'd rather see Nintendo embracing this than them trying to be something they're not. I just hope they'll manage their release schedule better. Wii has seen some awesome software, but the drought in between was unbearable at times. I think they need to bolster their development efforts, maybe outright buy a studio or two, just to make sure they'll have a wider appeal and a steady release schedule.

JaseMath

Seriously...who really gives a shit? People by and large buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo franchises anyway, and you'll be getting those in HD. Stop complaining.

Edit: Coen read my mind.

Oddduck

It's a bit better to just add some more positive quotes to create a more concise compilation than to just sling the gruffness about, don't you think? Signal to noise, my pigly friend.

Here's my addition:

There's also this post: "hiphop gamer interview Re: Darksiders II, wherein dev claims (~8:00) that 'Wii U is next gen hardware'" ← I haven't personally viewed the video, so I don't know much of the context there.

Thanks for those. I added them to my post.

I actually tried to find every quote I could from "named sources" about the Wii U power both positive and negative. Didn't try to irritate anyone.

Redford

aka Cabbie
As long as they build their quirky OS features around a no-frills, functional base, I will be content. I haven't used Swapnote much, but if all the infrastructure turns out like that, I'll be disappointed.

Nintendo reuses parts of engines, and likely will continue to do so. It'll still be drastically different however.

Ah, thank you. I was just wondering if we'd be seeing little tell-tale artifacts in the animation from previous games like between WW and TP. Not that it really matters to me.

Game-Biz

Most realistic scenario:

Ports from 360/PS3 to Wii U are going to look identical to 360/PS3 games. Ports from Durango/PS4 to Wii U are going to look like 360/PS3 games (Though, Wii U exclusives should look better.) And you know what? That's OK. Really. It's fine. To expect more is being overly optimistic (specifically speaking, to expect that developers will put in the money and manpower to get all they can out of the Wii U hardware). Nintendo is designing the successor of the Wii with the same philosophy of not trying to make a system that will be on par with its competition (Durango and PS3), but to make a system that stands out and proposes a new and more accessible way to play games. Wii U is Wii 2.0 -- the sooner we accept that the sooner we'll realize that talking and comparing specs concerning the Wii U is a fruitless venture.

Azure J

Man.

Fuck Wii U graphics.
I used to post here very often, but that graphics talk got out of hand on the last few pages. It will look good. Will it be revolutionary? Probably not. But is this really that important?

I mean, I have every relevant system and a computer, and I know better than most people that good graphics mean nothing nowadays. This is probably just the pre-E3 tech-hype mindset most people have right now.

I don't give a damn if it's on par with Jaguar if it provides me with HD Nintendo games, respectable third party efforts and a working online system. That's what I want from a Nintendo system.

I think the biggest reason why people fixate on this though is beccause they want reassurance that there will be both Nintendo games and a good smattering of the games that skipped vanilla Wii while showing up with great frequency on the other two systems. While I do feel for them since I tend to go long periods of time with just one console, this time around I don't feel that strongly about it because now unlike in past gens, I can acquire things when I feel like satisfying an itch not being scratched with one library and Nintendo + a good gaming PC + portables makes for a great selection already. Add one from the PS4/XB3 and you shouldn't feel starved for games in any situation.

StevieP

Banned
Seriously...who really gives a shit? People by and large buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo franchises anyway, and you'll be getting those in HD. Stop complaining.

Edit: Coen read my mind.

Hey, the C-Teams still need work. What better place to put them to use than re-purposing all of the "main titles" and spinoffs for Nintendo hardware?

thec-teamy6kls.jpg

Most realistic scenario: Ports from 360/PS3 to Wii U are going to identical to 360/PS3 games. Ports from Durango/PS4 to Wii U are going to look like 360/PS3 games (Though, Wii U exclusives should look better.) And you know what? That's OK. Really. It's fine. To expect more is being overly optimistic. Nintendo is designing the successor of the Wii with the same philosophy of not trying to make a system that will be on par with its competition, but to make a system that stands out and proposes a new and more accessible way to play games. Wii U is Wii 2.0 -- the sooner we accept that the sooner we'll realize that talking and comparing specs concerning the Wii is a fruitless venture.
Not really the philosophy and the way Nintendo will handle the Wii U is completely different from the Wii. Not to mention it's using very modern tech, even if not the strongest parts.

guit3457

Man.

Fuck Wii U graphics.

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom