• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes, that's the "Apartment Creeper spying game" I referenced in the OP. I secretly believe that half of N-GAF would love to clandestinely stalk Miyamoto & friends with a telescope while they walk through an apartment complex.

To expand the matter, there's nothing stopping the guntroller shown there from being rotated completely away from the TV, as the magnetometer and gyrometer can give pretty accurate attitude measurements.

Dito. Argumented stuff won´t work, but the console could render stuff where you move the pad at. Thats the whole point :)

lednerg

I was thinking about embarrassing E3 moments on stage today and a few came to mind such as the whole Skyward Sword demo debacle last year and of course this from the Microsoft conference.

[IMG http://i.imgur.com/SDoi0.gif /IMG]

So what do you guys think Nintendo could screw up this year on stage, presentation wise?

They could go on and on about Lego games to a TV audience who treat MMA as a lifestyle. (No offense, I watch it, too)

rhoq

If it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic :p

It wasn't clear (to me), but insisting it was from Breakin' was hilarious!

I love BB, and Gustavo is a badass. I posted that particular gif in relation to Nintendo's bomb droppingness.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from the way that season ended.

Yes, Gustavo is the very definition of "badass". July 15th can't get here fast enough. The wait for the final 8 episodes of the series in July 2013 is going to be tough.

I played many shooting games using the shell so i dont think it would feel awkward. Imagine colonial marines with that peripheral.

Oh, Nintendo does a big load of user testing with their peripherals. I have no doubt it'd be really comfortable. I just think it looks awkward.

I wonder what Nintendo has planned for the Excite ____ series? I think Excite Truck and Excite Bots are two of the more underrated Wii games (how is the Wiiware Excitebike btw? Haven't played it).

What they really need to do to sell the series is improve the presentation and give it a good soundtrack. At first glance, Truck looks and sounds like generic monster truck shovelware, and Bots looks like generic mascot racer shovelware. Of course that's not true, but I can't blame someone for having that first impression.

I liked Truck a lot but didn't take the opportunity to get Bots (that's around when I started having to save for things bigger than consoles). Hopefully, the next one ("Excite Boat" has been suggested) will continue the fun.

That box art definitely needed more work for Bots, I think. Truck might have had the benefit of launch mystique to it, but I thought its presentation was not bad.

VAPitts

I was thinking about embarrassing E3 moments on stage today and a few came to mind such as the whole Skyward Sword demo debacle last year and of course this from the Microsoft conference.

So what do you guys think Nintendo could screw up this year on stage, presentation wise?

yes, that ONE incident was just god awful. nothing compared to MS WHOLE conference...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

SDoi0.gif

If Mario Paint is the only actual on stage demo.

izakq

I wonder what Nintendo has planned for the Excite ____ series? I think Excite Truck and Excite Bots are two of the more underrated Wii games (how is the Wiiware Excitebike btw? Haven't played it).

It's plays a lot like the NES original, but with some Excite Truck influences (Letter Rank for race, get a B or higher to progress, items that will of raise hills).

Best part about it, if you're behind someone and want to pass them without crashing...you can do a wheelie and you'll ride up and over them.

StevieP

Banned
What in the heck did BurntPork do to get perma'd?!!

Six OTs. Incredible. It's been a lot of fun reading these threads.

Too bad this is going to the Gaming Community ghetto. :(

That's where it belongs, to be honest. The first couple speculation threads had actual speculation a lot of the time. The last little while, it has been 99% "let's discuss any Nintendo crap" and 1% actual content. This thread being like 20 pages already is a testament to that.

If a game is developed at the same time as the others I don't consider it a port.

I think AC3 Wii U is being done by a separate team.

Can anyone imagine where Sony would be today, after the PS2, without the Uncharted inFAMOUS Killzone games etc...exclusive for the PS3? I can imagine more than a few gamers would have opted not to purchase a PS3.

None of those, not even Uncharted, count as "megaton sellers" or whatever you'd like to call them. Despite some of those games being extremely high quality, they're not selling loads of PS3s.

The arcadey gameplay. After GTA 2, the series has grown more and more serious. The themes, the gameplay, the scenarios, the presentation: everything is more serious. Way-back-when in the days of GTA/GTA2, the series played more like a wild, arcade sandbox game.

Chinatown Wars reminded me why I love that kind of gameplay for this particular series. I like my character being a tiny little avatar on the screen. I like moving between vehicles quicker, and gunplay limited to switching between targets. I feel this makes for a faster player, arcade style game environment and that's what I love the most.

Realistic, serious GTA just isn't for me. And even though GTA 3 was great, I'm not very fond of full 3D third person GTA in general. It doesn't 'click' with me like isometric GTA does.

More evidence that you are me...

I should ask him. lol
(I think it's ED2, btw - same capture devices that SK used for Too Human are being used in the "NDA" project)

rhoq

Wait, we're definitely not getting any semblance of a launch line-up?

I don't believe that. How could you not announce at least partial list of titles available at launch (not the B.S. "launch window"), but actually day and date with the Wii U launch?

ffdgh

SDoi0.gif

i doubt it. I think they learned their lesson last year when they only showed the controller for some reason XD.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's plays a lot like the NES original, but with some Excite Truck influences (Letter Rank for race, get a B or higher to progress, items that will of raise hills).

Best part about it, if you're behind someone and want to pass them without crashing...you can do a wheelie and you'll ride up and over them.

it's a cool game but no local co-op killed it for me. Better to get MotoHeroz instead - never mind the Z.

Nope. No launch lineup, no price, no date.

I bet we'll get some games confirmed as launch titles though, and others will be launch window. We won't know the full scoop until soon before launch though.

(I think it's ED2, btw - same capture devices that SK used for Too Human are being used in the "NDA" project)

This would be so awesome. ED2 is the game I want to see most out of all the games that aren't very likely to show up at E3.

rhoq

Nope. No launch lineup, no price, no date.

I knew about the no price, no date thing. When did they decide against announcing a launch lineup? Seriously. This thing is due out this year - just a few months after their E3 presentation. How can you expect people to be interested in a day one purchase if you can't commit to showing off your launch lineup?

Has there actually been any news..at all?

Also, rather surprised to see myself mentioned in the OP, considering I only posted about 3 times on the last thread.

I knew about the no price, no date thing. When did they decide against announcing a launch lineup? Seriously. This thing is due out this year - just a few months after their E3 presentation. How can you expect people to be interested in a day one purchase if you can't commit to showing off your launch lineup?

That's what I'm saying myself. I guess they want to be extremely sure what will and won't be available this time to avoid a 3ds launch fiasco.

I just think it looks awkward.

It's people that might end up looking awkward rather than the tool. I see a lot of people who always look uncoordinated when playing some wii games especially using motion controlled games but they seem to not notice. However looking like a fool only happens if you feel that way so people will feel what they feel regardless of how the tool performs.

Luigison

Why is this going to community in two days? I can see an argument for it to be in community, and I can see an argument for it to be in gaming, but what is the argument for it to being moved to gaming in X days?

Has there actually been any news..at all?

Also, rather surprised to see myself mentioned in the OP, considering I only posted about 3 times on the last thread.

You stuck in my mind for some reason. Probably because you were such a dominant personality in Thread IV.

Also we're waiting for more gifs now that we know you can do it.

mrwilt

yes and they showed it in killer freaks. when the zapper+ peripheral is unveiled in 2 weeks we will see more of this type of game mechanic being shown. Though it will be using gyro controls.

Very cool! Just watched a killer freak youtube video demo showing this.

Izick

Why is this going to community in two days? I can see an argument for it to be in community, and I can see an argument for it to be in gaming, but what is the argument for it to being moved to gaming in X days?

I'm pretty sure EatChildren explained it in the last thread, but I can't remember. The warning is just a heads up so everyone knows when it happens.

It's a high volume thread, so there are a lot of people who would probably crap up other Nintendo-ish threads in Gaming with "OMG WHY WAS THE SPECULATION THREAD DELETED!!!". This is a way of providing warning in advance to hopefully avoid this.

…I guess.

to give time for people to adjust. i was hoping it would happen in two weeks after the nintendo conference but if it is being done to somehow split the boards to avoid 504 errors during e3 then so be it.

Completely non-sequitur, but I just realized the baseball teams at the beginning of the video were fake. (WHT? BLE? Huh?).

I massively prefer sports games that are not affiliated with already existing franchises. I want my own little universe to play in, not something belonging to a bunch of companies.

In a related way, that's why I like having the CAW feature in Wrasslin' games. Who gives a crap about John Cena or Triple H? I want to play as Jobbo, The Beef and El Crazytown!

First two are from the Gamecube games. I'll have to make El Crazytown for a future WWE title once they make a good one again

chris3116

I'm glad we're not getting launch line-up, price and launch date at E3. Where would this community be without things to go speculate about?!

I think the launch line-up could be there or partly there. They'll probably say "coming at launch" if they know the game will make it.

The Fall conference will give the price and launch date.

I'm pretty damn sure they said no launch line-up but, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they said "...And X is coming at launch!"

The screen is bigger but by so little that it doesn't even matter.
Source please
You stuck in my mind for some reason. Probably because you were such a dominant personality in Thread IV.

Also we're waiting for more gifs now that we know you can do it.

You should probably get me out of your mind, its not healthy.
I probably won't make another one, as my other one was panned because of the text, and because its too much of a hassle for me. Sorry.

Also, I don't post often because I've been busy with the PS3 and work...lots, and lots of exhausting, backbreaking and tiring work.

Very cool! Just watched a killer freak youtube video demo showing this.

okay now imagine this scenario. one person playing like you wanted.

the other person playing on the other tablet with his stylus doing macro management/ strategy style

a third person on the main screen using only a wiimote and nunchuck playing in third person cinematic assassins creed style.

all in the same room and all at the same time on the same game. all on the same team against other teams online. in a team fortress 2/portal type game.

this is the gamechanger folks. we need to talk more about this type of social gaming.

Izick

I massively prefer sports games that are not affiliated with already existing franchises. I want my own little universe to play in, not something belonging to a bunch of companies.

In a related way, that's why I like having the CAW feature in Wrasslin' games. Who gives a crap about John Cena or Triple H? I want to play as Jobbo, The Beef and El Crazytown!

First two are from the Gamecube games. I'll have to make El Crazytown for a future WWE title once they make a good one again

ikd4DSnXtxzAt.gif

Source please

recap for last thread
"the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though"

You should probably get me out of your mind, its not healthy.
I probably won't make another one, as my other one was panned because of the text, and because its too much of a hassle for me. Sorry.

It wasn't panning, it was people making suggestions to improve you towards perfection. You have excellent potential.

this said by a person who has made approximately one animated gif

mrwilt

okay now imagine this scenario. one person playing like you wanted.

the other person playing on the other tablet with his stylus doing macro management/ strategy style

a third person on the main screen using only a wiimote and nunchuck playing in third person cinematic assassins creed style.

all in the same room and all at the same time on the same game. all on the same team against other teams online. in a team fortress 2/portal type game.

this is the gamechanger folks. we need to talk more about this type of social gaming.

Awesome! Hopefully devs take advantage of these capabilities. Gamechanger indeed.

I hope 3rd parties dont abandon the WiiU like they did with the gamecube. I think Nintendo knows that so they made the controller the key thing that will make developers want to port and develop new ideas. I just really really think they should launch at 250 or even 200. The big thing about the Wii was the price and if it launches at that price it will be successful fast.

I mean I would assume why they made it just as powerful as the 360,ps3 was to save money like the Wii's graphics last year. So why not release it at 250 again?

I hope 3rd parties dont abandon the WiiU like they did with the gamecube. I think Nintendo knows that so they made the controller the key thing that will make developers want to port and develop new ideas. I just really really think they should launch at 250 or even 200. The big thing about the Wii was the price and if it launches at that price it will be successful fast.

I mean I would assume why they made it just as powerful as the 360,ps3 was to save money like the Wii's graphics last year. So why not release it at 250 again?

Don't get your hopes up. Hasn't happened since the SNES days.

Where've you been? Last thread got real salty without our peanut gallery commentary.

As said right above your post, Goodwill is a lot of work believe it or not, and getting caught up in games like Uncharted and Metal Gear just made me stop using the computer..oh and some personal issues.
recap for last thread
"the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though"

It wasn't panning, it was people making suggestions to improve you towards perfection. You have excellent potential.

this said by a person who has made approximately one animated gif
Thanks.
But I thought we all agreed that I was already perfect.

I wish Nintendo could slim up the tablet around the screen. I feel there's too much space. They could probably get things a bit closer and still keep the comfort. It just looks so damn big.

wsippel

Banned
You know what would be awesome? Eternal Darkness 2 (or some other survival horror game) with two player coop - and insanity effects. Coop makes games less scary? Not necessarily. I'd say they can be even more disturbing and scary. Imagine both players entering a room, but it looks entirely different for both players. One player sees a dark, moody place, left many years ago, whereas the other sees a nice, clean and cozy place. You stand right next to your friend in the game, but you see completely different things, and can't comprehend why your partner reacts the way he does. Or imagine walking down a corridor and your friend suddenly turns around and seemingly starts to attack you - except he doesn't. The AI takes over, and the "attacking" player doesn't even notice. Or imagine one player suddenly seeing a ton of monsters without the other player noticing. Because they're not really there? Or maybe they are there, but one of the players simply can't see them? Or imagine fleeing from a threat, running down a corridor, turning a corner, but for one player, there's no door at the end - it's a dead end. Or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom