• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rock

Banned
really ? :/

Yup.

I'm more accustomed to traditional developers, and i didn't run into so much "ego case" in dozen of interviews, but i have some things to learn about the new indie scene & all. It's like the sector is over-buzzed, over-crowded, and one way to differentiate yourself is by such statements, a pity because it depreciate the valor of their projects.

Well, a lot of guys want to be "THAT GUY WHO CHANGED EVERYTHING FOR THE BETTER". Fame is the brother of greed. It works for some though.

HylianTom

Banned
No, activision will fund Bungie decently. My point was revolving more around the Wii U being ignored for reasons outside of power. Which will be common.

The more I think about it, the more I want to start a thread chronicling developer comments about the Wii U. You know that every time there's a major multi-platform PS360.720.4 game announced, there will be people quietly or openly wondering THAT question. Some will ask it. Others will button-up, fearing that they'll be disciplined for port begging.

Sometimes, though, it's a valid question on an intellectual level. I would hope that it doesn't have to be "hey.. you're a fanboy disruptor for asking that!" And I'd like to collect these comments and answers throughout the next seven/eight years so that we can easily look back on them collectively, with a cold, clinical eye.

snesfreak

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I want to start a thread chronicling developer comments about the Wii U. You know that every time there's a major multi-platform PS360.720.4 game announced, there will be people quietly wondering THAT question. And I'd like to collect these comments and answers throughout the next seven/eight years so that we can easily look back on them collectively, with a cold, clinical eye.
It'd probably just be locked with no reason given.

AntMurda

And, nowadays I think, Sakurai is a fairly well known name. Outside of Miyamoto I don't think Nintendo has many designers who are known individual quantities like your Bleszinksis, Sudas, Levines etc, but Sakurai is definitely one of those. He's basically the 3rd biggest name at Nintendo today, behind Miyamoto and Iwata. So I think it's paid off in that regard. I guess it also helps that Iwata namedropped him back on stage at E3 in 2010, haha.

Questionable on the name recogniton and talent of Sakurai. One thing I think is important to note, is that a lot of the guys inside of Nintendo get supressed by a name like Miyamoto. It is all marketing, where you want to associate the popular name to the games, even if a new generation of producers and designers are doing the hands-on development.

But even then. I honestly think there are much more creatively talented people at Nintendo. But since Sakurai was a red headed step child (HAL), he actually gets to keep his press unlike say a genius at Nintendo like Kouichi Kawamoto (Brain Age, WarioWare, Zelda Four Swords) or Koichi Hayashida (Super Mario Galaxy), and the other talented designers at Nintendo.

But Sakurai is great at packing games with content, especially fanfare which the hardcore eat up. But as far as pure design and mechanics are involved, EAD and SPD guys havfe run circles around him.

thefro

The more I think about it, the more I want to start a thread chronicling developer comments about the Wii U. You know that every time there's a major multi-platform PS360.720.4 game announced, there will be people quietly or openly wondering THAT question. Some will ask it. Others will button-up, fearing that they'll be disciplined for port begging.

Sometimes, though, it's a valid question on an intellectual level. I would hope that it doesn't have to be "hey.. you're a fanboy disruptor for asking that!" And I'd like to collect these comments and answers throughout the next seven/eight years so that we can easily look back on them collectively, with a cold, clinical eye.

Sounds like a Wiki, not a thread.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You're right about him being talented. Just played Melee and some Brawl the other day, and it's beyond me how someone can come up with such a tight and creative game. The Smash Bros. series has something for just about anyone. It's just that good of a series, and I really hope he gives it his all for the next entry.

this. Also, I haven't played KI but Meteos (as well as the Kirby games he was involved with, obviously) is a tremendously enjoyable game! Almost to the point where you wonder how it pulls it off, being just another block puzzler..

It seems the man has a natural talent for creating very well balanced designs, so there is always more to his games than meets the eye.

jrDev

o_O I thought the fifth thread was "The Final Frontier"?

I shouldn't of fell for it since it's a "Final Fantasy" moniker and you all know how that turned out >_>

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
[Loosely related to Wii U] A summary by Gamasutra, of IndieGames.com interviews of fps developers about the genre, what to keep, what to ditch, to rejuvenate it

Let's hope we'll get some awesome, fun, addictive, and innovative shooters, on Wii U.

And i love the declarations of the Illfonic guy:

Kedhrin Gonzalez, Illfonic: I think, the largest step FPS games can take at this point, is a new peripheral that gets players more involved with fewer restrictions. They've tried it with the Wii, Move and Kinect, but they're lacking precision control. Aiming at the screen to turn just doesn't work well enough! I do have an idea that can work (I think)... but I can't really discuss it. It's pretty direct...

The thing is, you can't take this entire genre, throw in new controls and expect it to immediately change. Today's day and age isn't like 1996 when Quake allowed +mlook and it changed everything. It also isn't like Halo where the thumbsticks came in with gameplay catered towards console play. Things are a lot more expansive now.

Turning is [also] one of the most important things in an FPS. It has to be smooth, easy, and controllable. Take that away and you just don't have a fun FPS. I'd love to play around with all of these ideas to further expand on what we can do with the genre. Let's face it, First Person View is the most important genre because it will lead into Virtual Reality. The people mastering its craft today will be the ones deciding VR's fate.

Other than that, I think FPS is going towards FPS RPG being the main focus. It gives progression over repetition. It drives commitment within a game. Reward the player with lush story, but also give them hardcore gameplay. I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is the best example of this. Although the game had some serious flaws that prevented it from seeing its full potential, it is a star role model of things to come for FPS Games.

IndieGames: Where would you like to see the games imitate, as in what old or forgotten elements of FPSes should be revisited?

Kedhrin Gonzalez, Illfonic: FPS games have been losing the exploration factor. This is due to short attention spans. The majority of FPS fans just want non-stop, in your face action. I prefer exploring, getting into the environment. It was awesome running around Redneck Rampage and laughing at all the stuff. Duke Nukem, I mean come on. That was so fun! Games take you on a linear track because developers want constant engagement and don't want to spend resources doing some crazy event players might miss. This goes back my FPS RPG argument. They almost go hand in hand!

for the bold part... Wii U ? Considering their projects launched/are planned on digital distribution services like XBLA & PSN, maybe a version for the Nintendo Network ?

And yes, we need more exploration in FPS !

Also, there's a lot of Call of Duty and Battlefield criticism in this article. We can pray the genre will vary more for the next-generation and move away from this over-used, over-played, archetype/model.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member
Everyone is allowed to talk BS - isnt that what this thread is about?

More importantly, shouldn't GTAV be in the rumored games at thread opening?

DrWong

It's no big deal. (Just a little one. >_> :p )

You could have said something like, "The creator of a phenomenon that has swept the world. He fought tirelessly amidst demands of closing the first WUST thread and waiting till E3 2012 for real news. Through his perseverance the WUST has taken off to heights unseen and risen to heaven along with the company these threads are dedicated to. He has fought hard to dig up any news and information to stimulate the ongoing discussions that have brought joy, tears, and anger to the visitors of the WUST threads. As a poster he is a man amongst men (and women). And as a Nintendo fan a kid amongst kids."

Not that I thought that out or anything. >_>
Lyrical. I like it.

That sounds even better. Holy crap.. why did I not consider this? Time to do some research. This could be my thing for the upcoming generation!
Good idea!

whatever name you choose for the wiki, be sure it has a reference to duct-tape
Which make me think a wiki Nintendo memes page would also be an awesome idea, if not already done?

RedSwirl

I haven't heard people talk about the probabilities for EA support on the Wii U. John Riccitiello certainly sounded like EA was totally behind the Wii U, but with what games?

Looking back to Gamecube, I can't really remember much multiplatform that EA withheld from the platform, even as other western third party publishers backed away from the system later in its lifespan. EA Sports games are a definite but what about everything else? Warfighter? Dead Space 3? BioWare?

How could Frostbite engine affect this? It's a next gen engine (look at the difference between BF3 PC and BF3 console) that might better take advantage of the Wii U right away, so multiplatform games running on it might show off the real difference between Wii U and other hardware.

Sadly true. A lot of them still believe the only demographic that buy Nintendo consoles are kids/moms. Nintendo might be able to change that perception with the Wii U though. We'll see.

It was always odd to me how they would say such things, go on to release a game they say was made for the demographic they thought was correct, and then ignore it all once it bombed.

TunaLover

I haven't heard people talk about the probabilities for EA support on the Wii U. John Riccitiello certainly sounded like EA was totally behind the Wii U, but with what games?

Looking back to Gamecube, I can't really remember much multiplatform that EA withheld from the platform, even as other western third party publishers backed away from the system later in its lifespan. EA Sports games are a definite but what about everything else? Warfighter? Dead Space 3? BioWare?

How could Frostbite engine affect this? It's a next gen engine (look at the difference between BF3 PC and BF3 console) that might better take advantage of the Wii U right away, so multiplatform games running on it might show off the real difference between Wii U and other hardware.

IMO Dead Space 3 is a sure bet, EA had intention for bring the serie to Wii, but due technical limitations they bring a gaiden game.

Could you guys give me a quick update on the Retro game that was being talked about at the weekend, new IP with artists from Uncharted ?, i lost it in the last thread :(.

Thanks.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That sounds even better. Holy crap.. why did I not consider this? Time to do some research. This could be my thing for the upcoming generation!

Make the wiki and talk to whomever does the official "Wii U Games" thread (since that one will probably stay active throughout the generation) about keeping a link to it in the OP.

Anth0ny

Nah. He would just need to take that quote Anth0ny (I believe) posts and change the developer name as needed.

Pretty much.

I can't wait for the video that will play at the conference of all the devs talking about how much potential the controller has, and how revolutionary it's going to be for video games. Then 20% actually go on and make something worthwhile with it.

Kandinsky

I'm starting to feel like I felt when brawl was approaching its release date, hype is getting unbearable. My oldest kid (14) wants to skip school to see it live and I'm not allowing it and I just got 4 days off myself, I'm such an hypocrite lol :/

Another reason i'm excited for E3 is because it provides me with an incentive to get back into gaming podcasts. I used to listen to the following:

--PlayerOne Podcast]
--Bombcast
--Weekend Confirmed
--CAGcast
--Joystiq Podcast

I know the Joystiq Podcast is no longer around but are the other 4 still available? Still looking for one nintendo centered podcast as well.

joystiq is still around. I listened to it yesterday lol

I'm starting to feel like I felt when brawl was approaching its release date, hype is getting unbearable. My oldest kid (14) wants to skip school to see it live and I'm not allowing it and I just got 4 days off myself, I'm such an hypocrite lol :/

You are cruel
KuGsj.gif

Come on! He will talk about this moment forever. Father/Son memories :^)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Another reason i'm excited for E3 is because it provides me with an incentive to get back into gaming podcasts. I used to listen to the following:

--PlayerOne Podcast]
--Bombcast
--Weekend Confirmed
--CAGcast
--Joystiq Podcast

I know the Joystiq Podcast is no longer around but are the other 4 still available? Still looking for one nintendo centered podcast as well.

Radio Free Nintendo

BlackJace

The Brawl release was probably my favorite hype period. I literally went batshit insane when ever the Dojo released new info. God, I can only think of a few games that give me feelings like that.

Antman2012

Neo Member
The Brawl release was probably my favorite hype period. I literally went batshit insane when ever the Dojo released new info. God, I can only think of a few games that give me feelings like that.

Pikmin 2. I was all over that hotness like white on rice. ITs the only game Ive ever beat the same day I purchased it. It kept me that interested.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This for Reggie. Puff Daddy for Miyamoto.

The Circus Theme just gave me an idea for a themed Mario game:

Super Mario Circus™

Browser is the ringleader of a traveling circus. He and his band of Goomba Carnies kidnap the Princess and make her play a part in one of their acts. Mario has to rescue her, but first he needs to grow an even larger handlebar mustache in order to disguise himself and infiltrate their troupe as a new performer.

Related to the interview above (don't know how to quote over mobile, sorry)

About turning the camera on FPSs and how it is frustrating with wiimote pointer.

The solution was always damn obvious: a wiimote with an analog stick that controls the camera.
Instead of a cursor in the middle of the screen, you would still use the pointer and you have both actions independent from each other. And of course, nunchuck for walking... But I guess such a combo will never come to life. Always wanted it as the ultimate precise FPS control.

J-Rock

Banned

Ice cold. Sleep with one eye open.

HylianTom

Banned
whatever name you choose for the wiki, be sure it has a reference to duct-tape

Make the wiki and talk to whomever does the official "Wii U Games" thread (since that one will probably stay active throughout the generation) about keeping a link to it in the OP.

It is done.

I'll begin work on it in earnest later on this week, but the wheels are already in motion.

The title: "Because.. It's Nintendo."

It'll be a no-frills (read: free) site, but it should do the trick. I'll begin research this week, combing over news archives, going through the Speculation Threads, looking through GAF's topics over the past year.

Very exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom