• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not posting in that thread again, its baiting and they know it.

EC saying there is nothing unreasonable about what Vigil is saying is reaching because those guys seem to be covering up plain laziness to me but whatever

there are so many reasons for all ports just to use the same assets as PS360 to WiiU without any improvements. This does not mean WiiU = PS360 but for some reason Eurogamer and Vigil keep shouting this from the mountain tops we just have to wait and see - when Nintendo starts embarrassing 3rd parties maybe they will try harder

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Next twelve days will be crazy

image.php

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Does this actually mean that screenshots from Nintendo won't look like complete ass anymore???

:O
They've released some great screenshots in the past--but they were HD bullshots.
Triton55 said:
Thought experiment: if the Wii U controller actually was just a new add-on for the Wii, would you still be interested? You would have GCN/Wii graphics for another cycle and probably no 3rd party support but on the other hand still get a rejuvenated line-up of all the first-party games you would expect from a new console without paying the full price of one.

How would you feel? Do you give up on Nintendo all together at this point, or still buy the tablet?
As a Nintendo whore, of course I'd buy it. I mean, I've got the Balance Board and Zapper kicking around. But it would be a stupidly limited product, and "Wii U" games would look even worse than GameCube games when actually taking heavy advantage of the pad screen. Couldn't be much beyond what the uDraw already is.

EC saying there is nothing unreasonable about what Vigil is saying is reaching because those guys seem to be covering up plain laziness to me but whatever

there are so many reasons for all ports just to use the same assets as PS360 to WiiU without any improvements. This does not mean WiiU = PS360 but for some reason Eurogamer and Vigil keep shouting this from the mountain tops we just have to wait and see - when Nintendo starts embarrassing 3rd parties maybe they will try harder

It's not baiting. It's Nirolak being Nirolak posting new threads for new news. Whether you agree with said news or not, its not baiting. He isn't Amirox.

HylianTom

Banned

Smart move. I've made the same decision, to be applied to most Wii U related threads; it's reminiscent of the student-teacher scenario in those threads.

We'll know more soon enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Why is it laziness? Darksiders II would have started development before Nintendo gave THQ kits. The lead SKUs would be Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Game design and art assets would prioritise these platforms over everything else, including PC. And my comment about PC ports is correct, because it's an annoyance of mine: many devs target consoles so heavily that assets too infrequently take advantage of the extra power in a PC.

You better get used to a lot of 360/PS3 ports looking just like 360/PS3 games, especially games due to release soon, because these were the target platforms. Expecting Vigil and whoever else to backtrack over their assets and make them nicer just because the Wii U has extra cut is a recipe for disappointment. They don't do it for PC, so why would they do it for a weaker system?

darthdago

Why is it laziness? Darksiders II would have started development before Nintendo gave THQ kits. The lead SKUs would be Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Game design and art assets would prioritise these platforms over everything else, including PC. And my comment about PC ports is correct, because it's an annoyance of mine: many devs target consoles so heavily that assets too infrequently take advantage of the extra power in a PC.

You better get used to a lot of 360/PS3 ports looking just like 360/PS3 games, especially games due to release soon, because these were the target platforms. Expecting Vigil and whoever else to backtrack over their assets and make them nicer just because the Wii U has extra cut is a recipe for disappointment. They don't do it for PC, so why would they do it for a weaker system?

only reason here could be money...thats something VIGIL/THQ would really need btw...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
only reason here could be money...thats something VIGIL/THQ would really need btw...

It's not just THQ who does it. Lots of developers don't bother touching up assets for their PC releases.

Well, that and why would they spend extra resources on a console that doesn't have a customer base that rivals the HD twins? Also, as Eat said, it's not worth to spend extra resources for a small uptake of customers who would buy it due to the better visuals that otherwise wouldn't buy it.

Nintendo Everything said:
Today, Ubisoft announced that it will kick off the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2012 with an invitation-only press conference at the Los Angeles Theater at 3 p.m. PDT, June 4. The press conference will feature demonstrations and trailers of Ubisoft’s upcoming lineup of franchise hits, including games for the new Nintendo Wii U™, as well as digital titles, special guests and surprise announcements.

So erm, Ubisoft are going to be showing off Wii U games before Nintendo re-unveils the console at their own conference? OK...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's not just THQ who does it. Lots of developers don't bother touching up assets for their PC releases.

Yeah, I'm concerned that it might apply to other companies that would choose same method as they did for PC.

It might put us in sticky situation as you can see.

During Wii-U lifespan, People would port the games to Wii U for more money, and might not give more assets or update the assets during 360/PS3 era.

When PS4/XBOX8, then they (MIGHT) not port the games to Wii U because they might think they are superior compare to Wii U.

*throw broken crystal ball away*

You just answered that question with your point about assets from Console to PC
they are making excuses using Nintendo as an excuse. They do not want to even bother, saying if WiiU was powerful enough they would raise their budget... you can smell the PR bullshit in all that. If they had a PC version pushing PC quality assets I would be more likely to believe Nintendo is at fault for a weak ass WiiU here.

DrWong

That's what I didn't get about Nintendo being on the last day. Ubi and probably EA aren't going to wait for them if they have Wii U stuff to show.
Good sign for Nintendo conference, it means they have enough Wii U content to let Ubi showcase its stuff. I guess.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So erm, Ubisoft are going to be showing off Wii U games before Nintendo re-unveils the console at their own conference? OK...

They said invitation-only press conference. I wouldn't be surprise that they will force them to sign NDA until end of Nintendo Conference. At same time, It wouldn't be surprise tho. They already leaked Rayman Legend Wii U.

darthdago

yeah I understand, but MS, Sony and Nintendo might pay devs to make their console version look best. Who should do that with PC? Alienware? HP? or other producers?

but I understand why you mean the games will only look like their PS360 counterparts -btw I'm ok with that- and I only meant that money can make each dev to put more work in a certain version.

Thraktor

That's what I didn't get about Nintendo being on the last day. Ubi and probably EA aren't going to wait for them if they have Wii U stuff to show.

They'll wait if the NDAs they signed say they have to. Besides, far more people watch the Nintendo conference than any of the publisher conferences. A game gets more exposure with a one minute trailer during the Nintendo conference than a 20 minute play-through in the Ubisoft or the EA conference, so they won't mind so long as they get a bit of screen-time for their games during the Nintendo presser.

So this thread is going to the graveyard tomorrow. And considering today's discussions it looks like things are going full circle more so than usual, so, it has never been a better time :p

BlackJace

So this thread is going to the graveyard tomorrow. And considering today's discussions it looks like things are going full circle more so than usual, so, it has never been a better time :p

We shall rise again!

I guess when big news hits someone will put it up on the front page.

Sadist

I'm pretty much done speculating as well. I need me some info. Juicy, rich info.

The regulars will continue to post. We'll get some new info one way another.
I don't get why people are going and getting themselves banned less than two weeks from what is guaranteed to be an amazing show.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt press will have to sign an NDA to attend Ubisoft's E3 2012 media briefing. It will after all be streamed via YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKRWubusKBU

Those watching online probably wouldn't be too happy about an intermission or something for the press to see footage of Wii U titles.

They said invitation-only press conference. I wouldn't be surprise that they will force them to sign NDA until end of Nintendo Conference. At same time, It wouldn't be surprise tho. They already leaked Rayman Legend Wii U.

All of the major E3 press conferences are invitation only

Well the main conference is only an hour, maybe Nintendo have decided to let the major third parties do their own announcements, and most of that hour will be devoted to first-party titles and a couple of surprises?

Izick

Anything major happen today? I'm about to check out what Vigil said about the Wii U kits.

EDIT: Kind of disappointing, but expected.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anyone still believe that WiiU will be demonstrably better then PS360? A generational leap?

botty

Banned
The regulars will continue to post. We'll get some new info one way another.
I don't get why people are going and getting themselves banned less than two weeks from what is guaranteed to be an amazing show.

What a bloodbath this and the last thread have been. I wished BP would have saved his meltdown for e3.

Izick

No. Basically 3rd party games will look like 360 games on Wii U.

Yeah, like I said in the edit, I kind of expected this, but it's still a little disappointing. I'm not sure if third parties are doing this to keep parity with the other versions, as to not make them look weaker, or what, but I was hoping that we'd at least get some graphical incentives to pick up Wii U versions, but it's still all good.

Just think though, if Wii U games look like PS360 games at launch, then how much better will they look by the end of the generation, or just half-way through its generation? Something positive to think about there.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Anyone still believe that WiiU will be demonstrably better then PS360? A generational leap?

I expect the leap to be a big as from 3DS to PSP. It will be more powerful and hopefully strong enough to handle upcoming engines even if downgrades are needed.

Izick

It's definitely going to be more powerful overall. Like I said, look at the differences between launch games, and games coming out midway in a console's life-span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom