• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why only for Direct Download? I'd like to see them throw a full budget behind it, make it a $60 game, takes up 15GB on disc.

its just the same top down classic with better textures for ALTTP HD

and better textures for WW HD

if DD is going to be huge on WiiU I don't need these remakes to be full disc not paying $60 on WiiU

Nibel

I wonder: where will Iwata hide the console this time? Seems too large for his jacket and overall too large for everything. Maybe he will come on stage with a skateboard and the Wii U is somehow hidden under it.

I will do some research on this matter.

Reggie is a mans man. Worked as Head of Marketing for a Beer Company, Worked as an Executive for a Pizza Company and now is an Executive for a Video Game Company.

Used to LOVE the Bigfoot pizza as a teenager! My family ordered it every time we went to pizza hut, it was such a great value (which is probably why they discontinued it). Years later I was blown away when I heard it was Reggie's brainchild. Our stomachs were ready:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDAyOf6j1A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Throw me in the list of people hoping for changes to the console's look.

Given people's confusion last year, it seems like there's at least a possibility.

Roman

Where has Ideaman gone lately ?, maybe his sources aren't talking anymore after the guy who leaked the controller changes was fired.

Looks like we are done for leaks, ah well just over a week to go now ! :).

He's fooling around in the IRC chat pretty much every day.
He told us to expect something today or tomorrow.

If I found out Iwata hated video games, I would be saddened. Although that would be an epic villain moment in E3 history, if the head of Nintendo came out on stage and bellowed: "I hate video games!"
Oh, Iwata not only plays but is apparently very good at it too. There are stories of him and Miyamoto gathering crowds around them at the arcades. Also, he's a fan of Daytona USA (and talks about it in the Hatsune Miku Iwata Asks).

Reggie, on the other hand... Seeing him play Mario Kart was embarrassing.

nikatapi

I was wondering what is your opinion on the design of the console. Personally i don't like it at all, it is worse than the wii and looks just like an external dvd player or something.

Do you think the final design will be different? I sure hope so.

Oddduck

I was wondering what is your opinion on the design of the console. Personally i don't like it at all, it is worse than the wii and looks just like an external dvd player or something.

I'm only expecting minor modifications to the console design. Nothing too drastic or significant.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
fyi- in 2009 Nikkei revealed that a new Wii Fit and Mario game were to be unveiled at E3 on the Saturday before Nintendo's Tuesday press conference. I think Nikkei has had other pre-E3 reveals as well. Something to watch for.

fyi- in 2009 Nikkei revealed that a new Wii Fit and Mario game were to be unveiled at E3 on the Saturday before Nintendo's Tuesday press conference. I think Nikkei has had other pre-E3 reveals as well. Something to watch for.

Yeah, the possibility of Nikkei leaking out something just before E3 is not to be dismissed, especially after last year's confirmation of WiiU supporting a tablet controller.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So even in a live chat format he can't help but to tease.

Seriously ><

When i log in the IRC, people ask me like 15 times when i'll drop something. So in the end, i just warned them, and it was within an irc chat, i didn't do it here, that i'll write a message soon (tuesday). Why not now ? Because i'm talking with moderators since several days to see if i create a thread about it or not. They can confirm it so i advice people to stop jumping to false conclusions.

japtor

It's...inoffensive? I don't hate it or anything, it's just sort of there I guess.

Well I will say that that what little is there on the front is kind of funky. The buttons with the tiny lights above them, red sync button, and the off center door under the drive slot, which itself is a bit off center too. I could see the lights becoming rings around the buttons like the new controller and the sync button going behind the door, it'd make the door look centered under the drive slot that way. (Or say fuck it and go asymmetrical as hell, slot and sync under door pushed towards one side, exposed USB ports on the other, along with speed holes for another air intake.)

I just noticed a GameCube design feature I missed before:
8yHjP.jpg
Little side things to keep the vents from being blocked!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just noticed a GameCube design feature I missed before:

Little side things to keep the vents from being blocked!
I think that's part of the reason why the case has rounded short sides this time around, i.e. so people would not try place it sideways. The nudges are for those persistent users who still manage to place it sideways ; )

Kokonoe

Banned
It'd be odd if they're doing all that because it has the same issues the Xbox 360 has when you move it.

Don't think it will, but anything is possible.

japtor

Seriously ><

When i log in the IRC, people ask me like 15 times when i'll drop something. So in the end, i just warned them, and it was within an irc chat, i didn't do it here, that i'll write a message soon (tuesday). Why not now ? Because i'm talking with moderators since several days to see if i create a thread about it or not. They can confirm it so i advice people to stop jumping to false conclusions.
You take my posts too personally, or any posts mentioning you. Some of us may be joking around! Well some might actually be mad but I don't really care at this point.

If anything, embrace your reputation, tease more than ever! Make blood boil! Or go all Nintendo and just say you'll post when you post, be silent about that stuff otherwise. Which might drive them even crazier.

disap.ed

Or they could swap the disc drive slot to the longer side (DVD/BR player format), would also be better for airflow IMO (because of the length it may cause problem in Hifi racks)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Or they could swap the disc drive slot to the longer side (DVD/BR player format), would also be better for airflow IMO (because of the length it may cause problem in Hifi racks)

If the system front would be one of its side, without any proportion change, i would feel then that it lacks depth, like a DVD player cut in half, vertically :(

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Attention everyone ! Is there something new ? Did Ideaman shared something new since the thread moved ?

I think i posted the "bluray" story slightly before, or during, the transfer. Nothing since then, maybe a repeat that the judgment on the visuals of the Wii U titles my sources are working on was made before the implementation of a lot of FX and other things that could increase the gap with the PS360 versions. But there were a lot of other posts also, wsippel wrote about Wii U kiosks and Nintendo working for a translation software (with voice), bg/blu/japtor/thraktor/etc. theorycrafted about the GPU, and i surely miss some other interesting messages.

If the system front would be one of its side, without any proportion change, i would feel then that it lacks depth, like a DVD player cut in half, vertically :(

My guess is that the system is shaped like square. Kinda like a bigger gamecube but only 1/2 to 2/3rd of the height and a slot in drive.

Mistle

I can't believe E3 is only a week away. Time goes scarily fast sometimes..

But in cases like this, I'm not complaining. So pumped.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It isn't though. I rather like the design. It's very simple and elegant (except for the red sync button), reminiscent of high end stereo equipment.

But it has no discernible features. If this thing goes on to sell 75 million units, I will bet people who don't own one still wouldn't recognize it if they were shown a picture. The original Wii, on the other hand, has distinct features you can describe in words; angular with way the stand props it up, modern in the way the pieces fit together to give that border resembling a technical blue print, geometric in the way it cuts out corners of the case.

The Wii U looks entirely utilitarian except for the front face-plate. It's just a sheath of plastic protecting the electrical parts inside.

Mistle

I've only now come to accept that there won't be a name change.. So they'd better do something interesting with the box. White again is boring enough, let alone the most thoughtlessly designed Nintendo console yet. I miss purple and orange GC's with handles! haha

wsippel

Banned
But it has no discernible features. If this thing goes on to sell 75 million units, I will bet people who don't own one still wouldn't recognize it if they were shown a picture. The original Wii, on the other hand, has distinct features you can describe in words; angular with way the stand props it up, modern in the way the pieces fit together to give that border resembling a technical blue print, geometric in the way it cuts out corners of the case.

The Wii U looks entirely utilitarian except for the front face-plate. It's just a sheath of plastic protecting the electrical parts inside.
Well, I'm a fan of Bauhaus and Scandinavian design: form follows function. I really don't like edgy design details that serve no purpose other than drawing attention.

DrWong

Found some Wii U related stuff. Nothing huge but still interesting.

Evergeek Media Inc., from their Linkedin page:
Founded in 2000, Evergeek Media Inc. is a leading news syndicate providing consumer-technology news stories and product reviews to print and online publications everywhere. Serving such discerning clients as The Canadian Press, AOL, The Toronto Star, MSN, The South China Morning Post and the Rochester Post Bulletin, Evergeek Media's article archive is updated daily, delivering press-ready copy and graphics through XML Web Services and other propriety methods.

Designed to meet the growing demand for impartial coverage of digital lifestyle products and trends, from the Wii U to Facebook, Electric Vehicles to iPad2, Evergeek Media's cost-effective content solution bridges the gap between mainstream media and the enthusiast press by providing a unique, independent voice backed by a wealth of knowledge, humanizing technology with information that is both entirely useful and fun to read.
So a confirmation Wii U will provide content/services to read stuff while drinking your in café in the morning before going to work. Dat Project Café.

Judobaby Inc. in on board! : /
JUDOBABY INC. is the originator of the Pet Sports League™ (PSL) which brings the love of pets, the thrill of sports, and family-friendly celebrities together to provide unparalleled entertainment experiences, and, wherein, the company is moving rapidly to expand its footprint and secure significant market share within the fastest growing sector of the casual gaming industry by establishing a series of new, unique and successful games under the PSL brand, featuring our flagship product Jerry Rice & Nitus' Dog Football (launched August 16th, 2011), and to publish and sell a variety of game properties produced by affiliated developers across a wide range of popular and emerging platforms (e.g. PC, Playstation 3, XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii U).
Can't wait to know what they've in... Oops! Forget.

And the last, The Awesome Game Studio (TAGS), a new Indian studio which will be at E3. From their Linkedin profile:
The Awesome Game Studio or TAGS is Hyderabad, India based game development studio focusing on console and mobile game development. TAGS is managed by the most experienced game development team in India.Currently TAGS is working on two console and one mobile social game.
Spécialités

Console (PlayStation 3, PS Vita, XBOX 360 and Nintendo Wii U) Game Development, Mobile (iOS and Android) Game Development, Cinematic Outsourcing
From their FB page an environment teaser for their next game. Possibly the Wii U one > https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150999352781320

And a teasing img, from their next console game as well >

534799_363325230390805_353262401397088_973701_590544712_n.jpg

About the studio:
The management team at Version2Games, including its president Rajat Ojha, has left the company to form The Awesome Game Studio.

V2G was responsible for Smash n Survive, the first Indian PS3 game to be released to a worldwide audience, and had recently announced its next PS3/Vita game, T.U.M.

The Awesome Game Studio will focus on developing mobile, social and console games. TAGS will continue to provide post-release support for Smash n Survive and Ojha has confirmed that the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the vehicle combat game are still on the cards.

TAGS is currently working on a new console game titled Kemuri as well as an undisclosed title.

Ojha also announced that TAGS has acquired the licenses for a US-based toy company and will develop games based on its IP across multiple platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom