• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Don't they have two teams, one working on that Capcom X... game and the other one presumably working on this project for the last two years ? It shouldn't be impossible for them to have a trailer. Xenoblade had a trailer at E3 about a year before its (Japanese) release, given that game's critical reception I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us a trailer (or short teaser).

Actually I think they've 3 teams, one working on the Wii U project, the other on the Project X game for Bamco Nandai (they still own a little part of the studio) and the last team is on another 3DS game for Nintendo.

radcliff

Whatever Monolithsoft's Wii U game is, I doubt we will see it at E3. The game will probably release in Japan next year, with an American localization for sometime in 2014. We could see it, however, at the Japan event after E3.

wsippel

Banned
This, though they didn't say anything about seeking inspiration from Elder Scrolls. One of the people in the interview, Mitihiko Inaba (a programmer at Monolith Soft), was asked what their goal was, to which he replied "Bethesda Software, who developed 'Fallout'".
So it was Fallout, not Elder Scrolls. Well, he was most likely talking about the technology, and Elder Scrolls and Fallout use the same engine... ;)

Am I the only one here who gets excited about how the game cases will look? I know it's lame to be excited about something so small, but I'm generally interested - I've always loved how SEGA and Sony had the CD type cases for the Dreamcast/PS1, liked how Nintendo went with the white boxes for Wii and 3DS (and I feel that trend will continue with Wii U) - and I liked how the PS3 game cases were design too, and Vita's.

It seems so minor but I kinda get excited to see what they'll look like lol.
WiiU cases will be the blue color of the new U logo. :D

Personally I'm sick of the whole 10 year cycle thing. Can we please go back to 5/6 year cycles.

10 year gets us 600 dollar consoles that by year 6/7 are begging to be replaced. 5/6 year cycles gets us 300 dollar consoles that are replaced by the time they're looking old.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well, "game made to rival Western tech" does away with any localization concerns.

Yeah, I really don't see NoA passing on Monolith's next game.

So it was Fallout, not Elder Scrolls. Well, he was most likely talking about the technology, and Elder Scrolls and Fallout use the same engine... ;)

He just said Fallout developer Bethesda, so he's actually talking about Bethesda (according to Andriasang).

DrWong

Rumour time: Wii U CPU said to support 8 threads, is 20X faster than Wii

A report obtained by Wii U Daily suggests that the Nintendo Wii U CPU is based on the IBM 710 Express chip, but is underclocked at 3 GHz and comes with 4 cores and 8 threads. The new CPU is said to be 20X faster than the chip found in the original Wii console.
Wii U Daily’s Japanese source, which originally leaked the Wii U system specs, now elaborates on the main processor...

So, what do you think guys?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If forced to guess, I see a definite dropoff in third-party support shortly after the others' successors launch.. but if we see a semi-steady stream of stuff like Assassin's Creed and Darksiders for those first two years (a pretty reasonable guess, I think. as long as core launch titles sell relatively well), I'd consider that an upgrade from what the Wii received.
But why? The PS2 didn't see a drop off in support when the Xbox and Gamecube launched a year later.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For Nintendos sake they need to have their biggest guys present. New Super Mario bros Mii is not going to sell me a WiiU

Unfortunately for you, a New Super Mario Bros Mii will sell just about everybody else outside of GAF a Wii U.

If all we see from Nintendo is New Super Mario Bros Mii and Pikmin 3 I'm going to drive to a Gamestop just to knock over a magazine rack.

wsippel

Banned
I believe Monolith' Wii U game probably will be at E3. And considering the critical success of Xenoblade, I hope it'll be at the actual press conference this time, not hidden on their press server like Xenoblade was back in 2009. They really earned it. I consider Monolith one of Nintendo's top studios these days.

Don't they have two teams, one working on that Capcom X... game and the other one presumably working on this project for the last two years ? It shouldn't be impossible for them to have a trailer. Xenoblade had a trailer at E3 about a year before its (Japanese) release, given that game's critical reception I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us a trailer (or short teaser).
Three teams. The X Zone team, the dudes under Honne at the recently established Kyoto studio working on something for 3DS, and the Xenoblade guys at Monolith Tokyo doing the Wii U game.

WiiU cases will be the blue color of the new U logo. :D

I have a feeling that won't happen since that would make them look quite a bit like Vita cases.

EDIT: Throw in a picture of a Vita case just for the hell of it.

BpYN3.jpg

radcliff

Again, I'm not sure why people are expecting New Super Mario Bros. Mii. Is it because of the reply from an NOA rep? All we know is Mario will be shown for Wii U, but the evidence points more towards a new 3D entry:

- The 2D team (EAD 4) is working on NSMB 2 for 3DS and most likely Pikmin as the Pikmin director (Shigefumi Hino) is part of this group. I doubt this team is working on NSMB 2, Pikmin AND NSMB Mii

- The Mario Galaxy team (EAD Tokyo 1) has released nothing since the original game in 2007 (except for the OOT 3D collaboration with GREZZO). My guess is we will see their next game at E3 and it will be the Mario game to which Miyamoto was referring.

Penguin

If all we see from Nintendo is New Super Mario Bros Mii and Pikmin 3 I'm going to drive to a Gamestop just to knock over a magazine rack.

If nothing else, they will most likely detail more games so it doesn't just cover the launch.

Not to mention, most of their teams have to have been working on stuff for the past 2 years

Damnit to hell

Top of the page twice in a row. >.<

Unfortunately for you, a New Super Mario Bros Mii will sell just about everybody else outside of GAF a Wii U.

Which would be a perfectly reasonable argument, were Nintendo's line: "Our goal is to replicate Wii's success, this time with an HD console."

But that's not the goal Nintendo has set for Wii U. They've clearly set a goal of expanding their reach in the core/enthusiast market beyond the Mario/Zelda faithful, and while they may well fall short of it, it's more than fair to judge them accordingly.

radcliff

Paper Mario 3DS, Animal Crossing 3DS, Kid Icarus were all at e3 2010, in some form.

Very true. I guess I just thought it would make more sense to reveal the game at a Japanese event since it would most likely be released there first, and RPGs tend to sell better there. However, that could change if they make it more of a western RPG.

GameE

I have a feeling it is there. Haven't they had almost 2 years to work on it?

Didnt it take like 3 years for Retro to show a new game between MP3 and Donkey Kong? They did Prime trilogy but that wasnt a lot of work like making a new game.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah... no. The IBM 710, or more precisely IBM pSeries Power 710 Express, is a real, full-blow POWER7 in a 2u rackmount case, not a specific processor. The CPU driving that thing is powerful as fuck. So powerful in fact that going by what lherre wrote, Microsoft would need alien technology and liquid nitrogen cooling to top it. We're talking about the most powerful CPU available right now, something that makes an Intel Xeon Nehalem look like a pocket calculator.

Didnt it take like 3 years for Retro to show a new game between MP3 and Donkey Kong? They did Prime trilogy but that wasnt a lot of work like making a new game.
but this is a console launch, nintendo looking to make an impact, it's totally different circumstances. I expect them to show things even if they are a year out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It was about 3 years between the release of Corruption and the release of DKC Returns. I'd have to think they'll have something to show at E3. It most likely won't be released until next year, though.

DrWong

Ok. More serious stuff now.

GDC 2012: Dave Gargan Talks Havok on Wii U:
"We have a worldwide arrangement with Nintendo, so developers get access to our physics and animation technology, which for us is actually something we've been trying and working for Nintendo to do for a long time. We're really excited about this. And I think it sort of reflects a long partnership that we've had with Nintendo for a series of years..."

Gargan noted that all Wii U developers worldwide will have access to the Havok technology, the same way they would access Nintendo software tools, and that they have many cross-platform developer customers who can now easily add Wii U as an SKU for their projects. (None were explicitly discussed, though Gargan mentioned that several unannounced projects are actively in development).

Special considerations for the engine on Wii U:

"The platform has its own unique features, and has its own challenges as well. When we come across any new particular platform, we optimize specifically for some of the advantages that those platforms offer over other platforms, and Wii U has specific advantages that no other platform has, and we optimize directly for those, right down at the level of accessing the hardware.

"I think we'll see things done on the Wii U that we won't see on another platforms… I think people will be genuinely excited with the range of titles they're going to see come out."

There's more in the interview.

Sendou

Are people thinking that Nintendo has 2 sidescroller Marios incoming? I mean c'mon I know they said that they're going to base the Wii U one on the E3 2011 tech demo but still two?! Nintendo is really stretching it if that's the case.

Plinko

Which would be a perfectly reasonable argument, were Nintendo's line: "Our goal is to replicate Wii's success, this time with an HD console."

But that's not the goal Nintendo has set for Wii U. They've clearly set a goal of expanding their reach in the core/enthusiast market beyond the Mario/Zelda faithful, and while they may well fall short of it, it's more than fair to judge them accordingly.

But he completely ignored the fact that they'll have other core-targeted games there. They could easily do a 2D-Mario (although I now lean toward 3D Mario being their game) to bring in the casuals and have a bunch of games attractive to GAF/"core" there as well.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
- The Mario Galaxy team (EAD Tokyo 1) has released nothing since the original game in 2007 (except for the OOT 3D collaboration with GREZZO). My guess is we will see their next game at E3 and it will be the Mario game to which Miyamoto was referring.

what? didn't the same team make Galaxy 2 and 3D Land?

Are people thinking that Nintendo has 2 sidescroller Marios incoming? I mean c'mon I know they said that they're going to base the Wii U one on the E3 2011 tech demo but still two?! Nintendo is really stretching it if that's the case.

I fully expect 3 Mario platformers this E3. NSMB2 for 3DS, NSMBM for WiiU, and 3D Mario HD for WiiU.

The New Super Marios will probably be showcased together to highlight 3DS/WiiU connectivity.

radcliff

EAD Tokyo used to just be one group, right? When was it split into two?

For Super Mario Galaxy, Takao Shimizu was the producer and Yoshiaki Koizumi the director. Sometime after the release of Galaxy 1, Koizumi became the head of Tokyo group 2 and was the producer for both Galaxy 2 and Mario 3D Land with Koichi Hayashida serving as director.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom