• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

At this point I hope I never hear about UE4 again. Good god, this forum and its fucking hard-on for this sort of thing.

Seconded.
I triple.

Posted in the other thread:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1401272/epic_unreal_engine_4_platforms_unconfirmed_beyond_pc.html?

So at least we still have no solid word for Epic either way. I still don't think it happens, but Epic isn't saying either way.
So, as some of us obviously noted, this "UE4 Twitter affair" was about nothing. Troll feed. Let's just wait.

There was a poster named something like BlacknmNChild or something, the one making the WiiU rumors list on a different forum. AceBannedAce linked to this list in his Speculation thread. I think it was that user that said he had a friend who he knew very well and who he trusted 100%, who claimed to know first hand that a game studio had UE4 running on WiiU.

I don't know how trustworthy this poster is, but he didn't seem like a bullshitter. Anyone know?

PS: i bolded that part because my posts have a tendency to go unnoticed :/
I remember. I noticed. I don't know about this "friendly leak".

So, what are you saying? It is garbage? It isn't? I'm not following.

I'm sorta indifferent on IdeaMan (maybe he does know stuff but he's hella unconvincing in his way of saying things) but I know for a fact that Zelda Informer will post any old bollocks. I'd rather, if someone so desperately wants to post a ZI story, that they follow ZI's source and post THAT instead.

I doubt its fake... I trust IdeaMan

just saying that the website does not deserve a link if the source is this thread

GAF ----> Internets ------> GAF

at this point in the final days that is frustrating as hell not to be able to find news outside of this thread

Nibel

I know that Nintendo America rep said that the new Mario game for Wii U this E3 would be based on last years tech demo but..

Do you guys think there's a greater chance for a 2D or 3D Mario?

With New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the way this year and Pikmin 3 potentially being developed by the same team, is there much chance of 2D Mario on Wii U? Is it possible They've got EAD Tokyo working on a new 2D Mario instead of their usual 3D Mario?

We will see a Mario game but I really can't say if it's the 2D game or the 3D one. There are enough arguments for both to happen.

This is one of the most tricky questions in my opinion; I had no problem with a 2D Mario and it could push the Wii U really good, but to be honest I want to fall in love with a 3D Mario again like I did with the 3DS one and the two Galaxy games.

magash

I don't think that Rockstar hired known actors for GTA4. They really haven't done that for any of their current gen titles. But they still have 100's of people working on their games, and that's where a lot of the costs come from. That's why UBI's games games cost so much. For example, in a recent Road to E3 video they said that they have 300 people working on Far Cry 3.

Now you see here this is my main beef. Why do they need so many people? It is one thing if the extra manpower is used in designing and developing the game (basically anything to improve the core gameplay) but I think the added manpower is used in trying to improve the visuals, production values etc. of the game (as far as I am concerned superficial things).

If this turns out to be true, it means that UPad will have two cams(one external and one for video-chat) and a built-in microphone just like 3DS, and for all I know these are things that haven't been officially shown so far.

edit: so this is not even real rumours after all, by the way it's not anything very far-fetched imo.

Why does it have to have two cameras? Did I miss something?

And the inclusion of a camera/microphone, I think, was announced from day one so nothing new here.

Do you guys think that a studio like Monolith Soft could do something like this in a hardware equal or more powerful than PS3?

iKmf6ibC2Xg79.gif

What would it cost? Would Nintendo afford it knowing it will sell less than a million copies?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm back. Did anybody post anything since I headed out last Thursday around noon? Is Nintendo still in business?

Oh, no, I have to read like eighty thousand posts to update my list, don't I? Ye gads, I'm like in quasi-zombie mode today.

I've been mostly away since Friday as well, but I picked up on some major bannings (Ace and Jump) some tiny developers confirming support for Wii-U, UE4 still up in the air, and Wii-U's Facebook going up.

Seems like a rather uneventful weekend for news....

I doubt its fake... I trust IdeaMan

just saying that the website does not deserve a link if the source is this thread

GAF ----> Internets ------> GAF

at this point in the final days that is frustrating as hell not to be able to find news outside of this thread

Ah, OK, I totally agree then! Although, let's face it, GAF > Internet > GAF is always fun to see, haha :p

Does Wii U run UE4? THIS is the question of da millenium!

Why don´t we ask something different like

Can it brew coffee?
Can it bake bread?
Can you use it to cut metal?
Can it turn poop into gold?

Seriously i so freaking f´ing do not care if WiiU runs UE1,2,3,4 or 67463.5 or not.

magash

Do you guys think that a studio like Monolith Soft could do something like this in a hardware equal or more powerful than PS3?

iKmf6ibC2Xg79.gif

What would it cost? Would Nintendo afford it knowing it will sell less than a million copies?

I think Monolith started tinkering with "HD hardware" in 2009. As for the cost I expect something in the neighbourhood of $20-40 million.

Caramello

The point I was trying to make is games cost too much and hiring celebrity actors (like for example Samuel L Jackson) just to lend their voices to a game is highly unnecessary. This idea of replicating Hollywood will backfire.

It's not about replicating Hollywood, it's about creating quality entertainment that people want to experience.

Gary Oldman was a voice actor in Call of Duty: World at War. Not because Treyarch wanted to have a Hollywood actor but because they wanted believable characters to bring their vision to life. Good voice acting goes a very long way here.

On the other hand, not every game needs this. The distinction is the intended goals of each game. Games like Call of Duty and Ghost Recon need large budgets to compete with each other. They need a large workforce to create a game large enough, with enough new features and with a level of polish and attention to detail that the market commands. Games like Wii Sports on the other hand don't need the huge budget as they have a different scope, different goals and different ideals.

I guess my point is, blanket statements should be avoided as it's a case by case basis. Of course I also believe that every game having a huge budget is not sustainable but again, there is a place for these $100M budgets.

ecosse_011172

Fair enough and maybe so, but it's from Zelda Informer, which invalidates the other two points. I'll have an attitude if it helps stamp down on bad sources.

Doesn't this forum have banned sites for this very reason?
i.e. zeldainformer isn't a banned site so it's perfectly fine for me to post from them

Now you see here this is my main beef. Why do they need so many people? It is one thing if the extra manpower is used in designing and developing the game (basically anything to improve the core gameplay) but I think the added manpower is used in trying to improve the visuals, production values etc. of the game (as far as I am concerned superficial things).

It's an open world game, so there's a lot of stuff that they need to build. I'd actually think that most of that is going toward the game design simply because of the type of game that it is. You've just got to commit a lot of manpower to AAA open world games.

[IG]http://i.minus.com/iKmf6ibC2Xg79.gif[/IMG]

Didn't someone say earlier that Monolith wants to show that Japanese devs can hang with Western devs when it comes to tech? If they're going to keep that scale with modern tech, then their game would probably be the most expensive game that Nintendo has ever funded. I'd say you're looking at 50m at a minimum. We don't know the exactly budget to Dragon's Dogma, but we know that it had the biggest development team and budget in Capcom history. Although, I believe that RE6 now holds that title.

Doesn't this forum have banned sites for this very reason?
i.e. zeldainformer isn't a banned site so it's perfectly fine for me to post from them

You gotta draw your own lines in the sand, man. I didn't say that because I thought it was banned or "not allowed" or something, I said that because I know for a fact it's posted rubbish before frequently and therefore it's made the list of sites that are generally bad for this forum and its discussion. Also see: N4G, Paul Gale Network.

It's fine insofar as you're "allowed", no-one gonna come ban you for it, but I just think we're better off not doing so. Feel free to disagree! I have no beef with you. If anything I was trying to help you out by letting you know of a site not worth trusting.

I'm not surprised, at least the thread title got edited I suppose.

Sometimes I am not sure if the threads are being used as actual flaim bait. the wording in the titles and level of usage of loaded words can suggest so. It may not be very professional but this board is not trying to be is it?

Is it better to create non flaim bait OT so the trolling is minimised in the first place? One suggestion would be to write objectively in topics that would likely spout an emotional response. One question, does a person who creates a "loaded" topic get punished for making it one when the topic does not need to be?

Obviously these forums are privately owned and free speech is not part of its TOS so people have to realise that what they say can have unpreferable consequences. What is odd is that there are those who find enjoyment in the banning of other members of the community as it does not show a welcoming attitude and might show hints of elitism.

In the case of fanboy wars however, it may likely be a necessary evil as the arguments in the end force people to come to some real discussion and speculation and maybe some consensus in the end when all the ashes have been laid to rest. Not for me to judge but an interesting landscape this forum becomes during the season of E3.

Now we are a week away from the big day what happened last year exactly a week before E3? Also, would you say that this year nintendo is and its partners are even more secretive this E3 than at any other time in console history and if so, does Nintendo really have some aces (or jokers) up their sleeves that will really stun everyone?

Nibel

Guys, I didn't read though the last few pages, but appearantly Nintendo is holding a press event on the June 12th in London. You can visit that event on the 13th and 14th June as a visitor. It's all about the Wii U and we will probably get news about the exact date and pricing.

I can't show you a English source, so I will just post this one.

June = month of Wii U?

ibsKlUdgJ5NaM2.jpg

EDIT: This was the original source of the news, but it got deleted..
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/29/nintendo-to-showcase-wii-u-in-london-from-june-12/

daakusedo

Isn't all this talk putting nintendo too much in a weak position against epic?
If the console is successful and epic want their new engine to replace ue3, that's more of a loss for them if third parties choose another compatible engine...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pretty sure that the team on that it's Monolith's crappy B-team. duckroll seems to think so anyway, and he'd know.
It's from Soichiro Morizumi, his previous games were Namco x Capcom and the Endless Frontier SRW OG Saga games.

Only the first Endless Frontier was localized but his games revolve around the same combo system despite the company crossover games being SRPGs and the Endless Frontier games being more traditional, so whether or not you like his games will depend on how much you like that combo system.

I wasn't a fan of Endless Frontier my-self, all I remember now though is that I got bored and put it aside.

Three teams. The X Zone team, the dudes under Honne at the recently established Kyoto studio working on something for 3DS, and the Xenoblade guys at Monolith Tokyo doing the Wii U game.
duckroll said it best, they don't really operate in teams anymore but dedicate resources where they need to. You could easily see how the company worked under Namco and reasonably come up with teams, but their development model was clearly changed when Nintendo acquired the majority share and "teams" really can't be applied to their current structure outside of Morizumi who's only worked on his 3 games (4 with the upcoming Project x Zone).

I think you're right in saying they have three projects going right now by those people though. Using the interviews on their site it's safe to say there are projects from each of these sets of people:
The Wii U Project by Tetsuya Takahashi and Koh Kojima (Xenoblade game design/director) - http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/interview/vol09/vol09_1.html
The 3DS Project from the new Kyoto studio by Yasuyuki Honne (Baten Kaitos director) and Hiroshi Uchiyama (lots of modeling credits including 3D Character Director for Baten Kaitos) - http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/interview/vol10/vol10_1.html
Project x Zone by Soichiro Morizumi and Koji Ishitani (producer of the Morizumi games I mentioned above) - http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/interview/vol02/vol02_1.html

They're not limited to one each, Takahashi could definitely have more than one since Soma Bringer and Xenoblade were both developed under his wing. They could also have a group of people assisting with the graphical design on another Nintendo project like they did with Brawl and Skyward Sword. They're able to do all this because there are no teams, they simply allocate their resources accordingly.

Guys, I didn't read though the last few pages, but appearantly Nintendo is holding a press event on the June 12th in London. You can visit that event on the 13th and 14th June as a visitor. It's all about the Wii U and we will probably get news about the exact date and pricing.

June = month of Wii U?

ibsKlUdgJ5NaM2.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/29/nintendo-to-showcase-wii-u-in-london-from-june-12/

NoE is really stepping up its game if true or Nintendo wants to take over the world with this console

I'm fine with this

Sendou

Well if they announce release date as early as next month then I suppose it's possible that it would release even sooner than we thought.

Interesting news nevertheless :)

Do you want a console with a healthy library of games that will continue getting decent third-party support after PS4/Nextbox come out? Then maybe you should care. #justsayin

Most devs won´t be bothering with the Wii U anyhow. They give another round of the "bullshit developer excuses" and be done with it.

"The controller is too unique"
"The Hardware is just too weak"
"The Online is just not capable enough"
"Iwata didn´t help my grandma crossing the street back in 94"
"Its Nintendo *eeewwwww*"

And the list goes on...

Thats why it dosen´t matter much if it runs UE4.

When it is scalabe enough that it runs it... good... if not... who... sry, i mean... I DON´T CARE...

If the Wii U sees better 3rd party support than the GC then its a start. They just can´t get everyone to develop for them in just one gen! Another reason for a weaker console. Get to the breaking even point as soon as possible!

June = month of Wii U?

ibsKlUdgJ5NaM2.jpg

If they're not announcing the release date and price at E3, why would they announce it in Europe just over a week later? Wait for September.

And considering how close this event is to E3, I assume they won't be showing or announcing anything that isn't in LA next week. The most interesting part is that this is open to the public, which I hadn't expected either NOE or NOA to do until much closer to launch.

If they're not announcing the release date and price at E3, why would they announce it in Europe just over a week later? Wait for September.

And considering how close this event is to E3, I assume they won't be showing or announcing anything that isn't in LA next week. The most interesting part is that this is open to the public, which I hadn't expected either NOE or NOA to do until much closer to launch.

the fact that the story was deleted... maybe we need to wait for an update :(

Sendou

Well after E3 they know how the public reacted to Wii U as it is now. They also know more about Microsoft's and Sony's plans.

They did that with the gamecube

E3 show the games, one week later we got release dates and prices (for jap and us release). This time they could announce the worldwide release date. This would be quite something.

BD1

Banned
In case anyone hasn't seen it, Epic responded to the UE4 thread and said no platforms are confirmed besides PC. Geoff also clarified that he did not explicitly say No UE4 on Wii U.

No new confirmed platforms exist besides Wii U...

"Oh Lets twist again, like we did last summer."

Keighly comes in to clarify his own words and you decide to bend the words again to suit your agenda? Do you believe what you say is actually a fair represebtation of his clarification?

BY2K

Membero Americo

June = month of Wii U?

ibsKlUdgJ5NaM2.jpg

That makes no sense. If Nintendo planned to reveal the Wii U date and pricing one week after E3, they'd do it at E3, period.

Plus the original source got deleted.

I say bogus.

darthdago

If we only think about that one thing that the E3 will build up a great hype for WiiU,
then they would for sure still use that hype wave as long as possible.
Like mentioned before games/console/some tech talk in America, launch date/price and hands on in Europe and the first sold WiiU will be in Japan.

But what would still be interesting has IBM or AMD started massproduction of the CPU/GPU??
If we could find out about that we would have a release date (around 3 months after massproduction started!! (like with Wii)

GameE

I saw the vg247 story before it got deleted, said nothing about price or date, just said that people in London could play Wii U or something

TheChits

I'm back. Did anybody post anything since I headed out last Thursday around noon? Is Nintendo still in business?

Oh, no, I have to read like eighty thousand posts to update my list, don't I? Ye gads, I'm like in quasi-zombie mode today.

You didn't miss anything. Still just the usual Nintendo is doomed haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom