• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think he is referring to the roundtable. Nintendo is putting it online at 11pm PST. text or video no one knows
That was the round table? I always thought the roundtables occur after their presentation. This one occurs the next day.

antonz

That was the round table? I always thought the roundtables occur after their presentation. This one occurs the next day.
oh ok yeah the software thing the next day is likely just hands on time etc for viewers to see.

Roundtable is on Tuesday. Its not going on the website until 11pm for some reason

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So in a way I think their conference is mostly presentation while the bulk of videos of their games will be for next day, right?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I'm not 100 percent sure if it's an inch bigger, but I swear I heard someone say this on here.

Edit: I think it was less than an inch bigger.

I think it was about that patent that had the Analog sticks controller and the E3 controller toghter ,,,it shows that the E3 one (6.2" i guess) has a bigger screen than the Analog sticks controller (the one TT employee leaked)

it's here, less than an inch, could be a jump from 6,2" to 6,5"

For the ones who missed it, 2 DRC support nearly confirmed

You can check a box in your bingo cards !

Portugeezer

I'm not 100 percent sure if it's an inch bigger, but I swear I heard someone say this on here.

Edit: I think it was less than an inch bigger.

Yeah I think IdeaMan said instead of 6.2 inches it got a very slight increase, probably 6.5 inches.

no penis

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well folks, just a week away. I decided to retire my Snifit for awhile to put on some more formal attire.

CrowE3.jpg

Time to put to start putting on those tuxedos, gentleman!

MST3K%20E3.jpg

Dude. You're late. I have been tuxed up for months. :)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Yeah I think IdeaMan said instead of 6.2 inches it got a very slight increase, probably 6.5 inches.

no homo

grain of salt for this though, it's 100% sure developers were noticed of this increase, but has it been implemented on the updated DRC version we saw on the leaked picture ?

We need a photoshop expert, an image supreme analyst, to compare the proportions, the shape, the distances between several elements, and find if such a screen size change occurred or not.

Where are those damn ESPER computers that manipulates to the extreme pictures in Blade Runner, when we need them ><

ecosse_011172

The latest gossip from Beyond3D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybumb
I dont know what Gearbox is doing but Aliens:CM is just not even impressive for UE3

Metro LL what happened here?

Why is Epic not supporting it officially on Wii U then? It just dosent have the juice to do the realtime stuff they are bringing on. The eventual mobile version wont do that stuff so it could be ported to Wii U but it would useless for crossplatform Durango-WiiU-Orbis development. iPad-Wii U port buddies?

The first UE4 titles wont see the light of day before 2014 and by that time economics are not an issue. GTX580 level card will be very much mainstream and next-gen consoles will have combined 10M base.

This has more to do with THQ's financial situation vs. 4A's desire to continue the development of the Wii U's version. I believe E3 may remedy this. Aliens:CM is utilizing quite impressive deferred rendering in its reatime lighting engine. Impressive is a subjective term, its still a valid example in UE3 cross-platform software. This is true despite what you think of Gearbox's offering.

Despite being the weakest of the three, the Wii U's GPU supports most modern rendering/shading techniques. The usual suspects then are main system RAM, or the CPU. 2014 is second generation Wii U titles, including some very strong 1st party IP launches. The relevant point here is if the Wii U's success even remotely mirrors the Wii's, 3rd parties will not want to be forced into delegating internal team resources to concurrently creating seperate console versions. (assuming the Orbis will even run a fully featured UE4) A scalable UE4 simply makes market sense. A third console revenue stream to increase profitability, as well as offsetting rising development costs cannot be ignored.

I find it interesting that Sony may be buying into a Cloud Gaming company this opens up options like streaming PS3 games to Vita

It would have been great if Nintendo started cloud gaming too... then WiiU Specs would not matter if you can stream any game from the cloud

What makes the rumor interesting is the forgetthebox article talked about Nintendo allowing players to use strategy guides. And then a month later, the Tekken producer talked about the idea.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/tekken_wii_u_could_use_controller_as_digital_strategy_guide

I could see strategy guides being useful on Wii U's controller.

Especially with the talk about Wii U having a multitasking OS.

Yeah well, I've been doing that on my 3DS since I have it.
Being able to use the web browser whilst playing a game is something Nintendo HAS to put in Wii U. It's like 3DS's best feature!

EDIT: Post #OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The latest Ask Gamasutra Pre-E3 edition, where most of their editors are talking of the Wii U, how they are curious about it, etc, it's encouraging :)

Some thoughts are interesting, i agree with Mr Nutt (did you see THAT pun :D ) for example:

This is my 16th E3. I've gone beyond the excitement, beyond being bored with it, and on to a sort of serene neutrality. I do fight a losing battle with cynicism at times, though.

What I dread most is the homogeneity of triple-A games. I really fear that things are going to be yet worse this year than last: fewer games, more explosions, no pleasant surprises. Sony's press conference, in particular, was dreadful last year, with its pounding, endless loop of the same game over and over again. Sometimes I think everybody else must be okay with this -- even enthusiastic about it -- and that weirds me out.

It's not just Sony, of course; I can't imagine that any one of the three platform holders will show me a game I wouldn't expect from them. That means it's going to be up to personal taste, which means I'm looking most forward to Nintendo's press conference. I hope somebody has really been given the chance to take the Wii U platform and do something exciting with it -- and also whether or not those chances, if they exist, have been realized. That's what I'd most want to see, on any platform, not just Nintendo's: a developer given a chance to break the mold, and that developer smashing it. And that seems really, really unlikely for E3 2012. What I want is a game that puts a smile on my face. It doesn't seem too much to ask.

Tom Curtis
News Editor
Twitter: @thomascurtis

More than anything, I'm looking forward to learning more about the Wii U's software lineup. Ever since Nintendo unveiled the device last year, I haven't quite known how to feel about it. The tablet-like controller is interesting, to be sure, but until we see some real games make use of the hardware, I'm going to reserve judgment. Those tech demos from last year weren't enough to make me a believer.

Just like last generation, Nintendo's in a very interesting spot. It's launching a new console with some largely unproven technology, and now it has to show players why its new device is more than just a quirky novelty. Nintendo struck gold when it debuted Wii Sports as its proof-of-concept for the original Wii, and it'll be very interesting to see how that initial first-party software lineup defines the Wii U. At this E3, Nintendo really needs to show off what its new console is all about, and I can't wait to see what it has up its sleeve.

Frank Cifaldi
News Director
Twitter: @frankcifaldi

I guess this is we're I'm forced to admit that I'm still a kid who wants new toys, and am therefore looking forward to seeing how the Wii U has progressed over the past year. While I'm still a bit skeptical that the tablet controller is worth celebrating as some kind of tool for gameplay innovation, if anyone's going to convince me it's Nintendo. My favorite E3s have been the ones I've walked away from feeling inspired, so I'm hoping Ninte

etc.

This is how a german messageboard prepares for E3:

A lot of members changed their Avatar to Pikachu and jumped on the Hypetrain:

hypetrain.jpg

God fucking damn am I glad not to be on consolewars anymore. That rotting troll infested hole can go and do whatever is not really appropriate to say here.

Also the original Hype Train picture is made by someone here on GAF.

GAF -> Internet -> GAF and stuff.

Nibel

Oh? Its the NeoGAF Hypetrain?

I didnt even know *lol*

Yup, and it became this after a while

ibn0apxaVvcLKq.png

But tell my German fellows that although they stole the train I'm proud that they are hyped. I just scrolled through that forum and must say they are pretty crazy :lol weiter so!

GAF doesn't need the train anymore, rumors say most of them hang out in HYPE town

wsippel

Banned
Cevat Yerli (Crytek) confirmed in a recent interview with German technology site Golem that there are upcoming Wii U games using CryEngine, but they have no plans to develop any Wii U games at the moment. So no Crysis 3 or Homefront 2 for Wii U I guess. He also thinks that the next generation of home consoles will be the last, as the business model becomes more and more unsustainable.

The whole interview (in German): http://www.golem.de/news/interview-...olengeneration-ist-die-letzte-1205-92030.html

BD1

Banned
Random E3 Thought of the morning:

I hope Nintendo keeps that bad ass set from last year's conference. That thing was awesome.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Cevat Yerli (Crytek) confirmed in a recent interview with German technology site Golem that there are upcoming Wii U games using CryEngine, but they have no plans to develop any Wii U games at the moment. So no Crysis 3 or Homefront 2 for Wii U I guess. He also thinks that the next generation of home consoles will be the last, as the business model becomes more and more unsustainable.

The whole interview (in German): http://www.golem.de/news/interview-...olengeneration-ist-die-letzte-1205-92030.html

It's really plausible. When you read the industry news, the switch to mobile & social gaming, the tablets, f2p models, etc, and even famous gamedesigners, veterans, jumping to this new trend + all the technology advancements (cloud, etc.) + the evolution of the market, of the practices (stallion like Diablo 3 requiring an internet connection but still managing to beat sales records, meaning being forced to have a web access with your game platform is more and more accepted and not feared by publishers) + tons of other parameters (development costs, similarity of a lot of AA/AAA games, traditional studios closing, etc. etc.), really tends toward the end of videogames as we knew it, but this shift, this progress, will be more smooth, transitional, that just the 3 manufacturers declaring one day "we stop releasing video games systems".

Redford

aka Cabbie
There are a few issues that make it tough.

• You may not be on the short-list to get an early dev-kit, so your entire game could be rushed (you have to throw a lot more developers at it, and quality will suffer)
  • Early SDK's are buggy and poorly documented, slowing down progress
  • The specs change with new dev kits, and new SDK's can break your game because commands change, and you have to go back and fix them
  • There's usually some "secret" features that aren't revealed until the final E3, that gamers will expect you to support - those features must be rushed into the game
  • You don't know exactly how long you have to work on the game, because hardware manufacturers do not tell developers the release date before they tell the rest of the world (though they may give you a rough estimate like "4th quarter")
  • You don't know what other developers are doing - what if your game looks inferior to the competition, because everyone else took advantage of feature X? You don't have an average graphic quality to be your guide to what customers will expect

In addition to those, the hardware manufacturer may have some demands - if you want to be a launch title, your game must meet these standards and make use of these features. Once the system launches those demands go away.

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply. Clears that up for me. Is the budget typically more or less than usual?

StevieP

Banned
Well it's only a matter of time until they pull support from every platform.

Sure, but they could at least try to capitalize on a new hardware launch before they go bankrupt (ugh, yet another publisher - this gen has sucked SO much, seriously)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Cevat Yerli (Crytek) confirmed in a recent interview with German technology site Golem that there are upcoming Wii U games using CryEngine, but they have no plans to develop any Wii U games at the moment. So no Crysis 3 or Homefront 2 for Wii U I guess.
He may just be referring to the German studio, which wouldn't rule out Homefront 2.

He also thinks that the next generation of home consoles will be the last, as the business model becomes more and more unsustainable.
Amazing to hear the Crytek head say that.
He's right.

Cabbie said:
Can someone explain the finances behind releasing games on a new platform? And why it's such an apparent risk? Like, what goes into getting it on shelves?
The risk is you're vying for the attention of a very small crowd, and unless you're in the small group of games with great legs people won't care about your release by the time the userbase has grown. Though it seems like releasing the third version of a game on a new platform is about the lowest possible type of risk. Certainly the cost of porting a game to Wii U would be miniscule compared to, say, having an all-new game ready for the launch of PS4.

Sardello

Yup, and it became this after a while

ibn0apxaVvcLKq.png

But tell my German fellows that although they stole the train I'm proud that they are hyped. I just scrolled through that forum and must say they are pretty crazy :lol weiter so!

GAF doesn't need the train anymore, rumors say most of them hang out in HYPE town
Never seen this Extended edition... wonderful ^^

effzee

We might not get traditional consoles the round after next, but I doubt games large in scale, scope, and complexity will go away now. Especially now that FPS like COD are printing money for publishers.

As long as I can continue to play my AAA Nintendo games I'll be happy regardless of the medium.

The business model is not inherently unsustainable. [most] Developers and publishers are choosing to massively increase costs for the most part, and they've been subsequently narrowing their focus while trying to use various methods to increase the revenue per person dramatically. This is a shitty way to treat both customers and themselves.

This should not be a binary decision of "make simple pong variants for fifty cents" or "spend eighty million dollars to deliver buckets of blood". There is a very, very large continuum between those two extremes which publishers have sort of squeezed out. Many features which had me and others buying games in the past simply vanished (like the ability to play many games across a wide spectrum of genre in your own home with family or friends, or in some genres a more heavy focus on nonlinear game play), seemingly as soon as the generation started. I didn't ask for all the resources of today's game budgets to eke out every last polygon that systems are capable of, and most gamers did not. The action game buying people I know in real life either didn't care or were oblivious to most graphical differences in this generation. Hell, one of them was genuinely impressed by the grass textures in Wii Sports Golf.

Every market segment needs to be catered to. It isn't just "core" and "casual". There are "platformer fans", "rpg fans", "dance fans", "fps/over-the-shoulder shooter fans", "shootemup fans", "exercise fans", "brawler fans", "fighter fans", "rhythm fans"… The preponderance of marketing feels like it's treating all these genres as just one of two extremes and not making any useful distinction beyond that. I know there's variety out there, but it sure doesn't feel like it from the way people carry on. So I'll spend my money more on crazy naked vacations instead of video games. I'm okay with that. The boobs are more real anyway. :p

Nibel

I don't agree that consoles will fade away - I think that they won't make jumps in technology we got used to with the past few generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom