• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Aeana

icZ6UPWPerpFI.png

Is the weapon shop text supposed to be glitchy? Because when you actually buy the item, it says the correct name.

EDIT: Looking at the patch readme, I guess the text thing is a normal problem.
One of the reasons why I don't like that translation patch. I'm not sure if he could have done anything to fix it, though... sometimes you just have to put up with things like that I guess.

Teknoman

One of the reasons why I don't like that translation patch. I'm not sure if he could have done anything to fix it, though... sometimes you just have to put up with things like that I guess.

In that case i'll just soldier through it. Didnt know if that was a general issue, or something new I ran into.

Aeana

In that case i'll just soldier through it. Didnt know if that was a general issue, or something new I ran into.
Those male and female symbols are important, they're not gibberish or anything, they just overwrite letters of the item names since I guess there isn't enough room otherwise. In the JP version, IIRC, the item names are shorter so those symbols don't interfere with anything.

In SMT 1 what does the "Moon's Age : 6/8 Moon" counter on the top left of the screen refer to?

And damn this game is a challenge from the few mins I have put into it. I almost feel scared to leave my home in the game...pathetically doing one fight and then retreating to my bed. Oh well, I got my first demon summoned (Pixie) so I am sure that will help a bit.

Koroviev

In SMT 1 what does the "Moon's Age : 6/8 Moon" counter on the top left of the screen refer to?

And damn this game is a challenge from the few mins I have put into it. I almost feel scared to leave my home in the game...pathetically doing one fight and then retreating to my bed. Oh well, I got my first demon summoned (Pixie) so I am sure that will help a bit.

Demons act strange during a full moon.

Reading through this thread is definitely getting me in the mood to play some more Megaten.

For now, I think I'll just focus on finishing Innocent Sin, though. I'm enjoying reading what everyone else is playing, too.

Aeana

Did you get equipped? You can also raise your intelligence stat to make negotiation go more smoothly.

Aeana

I played for so long and took so many screenshots, sorting through them is kind of a pain.

irY07V8zqZBBS.png
i8oYfxSCsRSFq.png

Last time, Pascal joined us, so I did what any responsible pet lover would do: I took him to the cathedral of shadows. He became CERBERUS, and yes, the game lets us make him even though he's way the heck above our level. He is pricey to both summon and to maintain summoned via magnetite, but worth it.

iBlPtedtndW9u.png

Next we head to the eco building and use the ID card we got from the earlier boss fight.
Inside, there's not a lot going on, just some treasure. On the 5th floor...

i0SOV0bF0GNXy.png

We meet up with Yuriko. She's very encouraging, saying that with our strength, we should be able to do whatever we want. Cool, thanks.

iS5VcvUWPRBvM.png

Inside the door, we come across a strange ritual. A demon summoning ritual, apparently. And we are interfering. We get kicked out, and...

iOkX7Nq00hEr1.png
inZ20GKsFzgob.png

Next boss. Douman, or however it's supposed to be romanized. He's still pretty easy, but I had a close call with pixie. She's starting to become kind of a liability.

ibsEA77f2WRAEn.png

After the battle, I get another visionary item. I'll hopefully remember to do a translation of the scene later.

ibquSJDK5ntNsI.png

Back in the room, Pascal/Cerberus starts acting weird, and jumps into the machine. Hey, wait, man. :( Turns out this is a terminal, and we can use it to travel to other places... so we do. The only destination available is "laboratory" so we head there.

iFXeLpRuPtSlQ.png
ieRtOEKoa6xH9.png

On the other side, we're greeted by an orc. He welcomes us to Earth from the demon world, but then realizes that hey, we are humans, and attacks.

iGPoYZfo2IdeO.png

On a lower floor, we run into Steven again, and he upgrades our COMP to hold two more demons! Yesss.

When we exit from the lab, we emerge in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo. The whole area has been blockaded by the military, so the only real place we can go is a mall.

ibatVd1zBEL4BE.png

The mall has jack frosts. So's I gets me one.

ibeQ0uQPjqRRuy.png

The mall has about five different bars, but one of them has a bartender who asks questions about demon summoning and stuff. If you answer his questions correctly, he gives you a matchbook, which might be useful for something.

ibyf4MqGmHDJ1b.png

While I'm here, I make sure to fuse an angel. She can cast media, which is nice, and she's also twice as strong as any other demon I have, so that's even nicer.

iZcFw5djGzEyF.png

I wandered into the basement, and the first enemy I came across was this here dryad. I was so, so excited. Why? Because dryads can use marin karin. "But, Aeana," you say, "marin karin kinda sucks, doesn't it?" Well, no, not in this game. In SMT1, charm is absolutely broken because it works on so many different enemies, including many bosses. Dryad is love.

iizqxYnpeYF78.png
iboX8EVtmbfHff.png

Turns out the matchbook was the key to get into the resistance hideout. Inside, we learn that Paula is the resistance leader, and she remembers us from the dream earlier in the game!

Apparently, the Bad Dudes have been abducting girls named Paula in hopes of getting their hands on this one, and we must put a stop to it.

ibtj29ZmhqSDVJ.png

Sadly, it appears that Yuriko followed us to the hideout, and abducts the Real Paula. We have get her back.

iY5VWUg0XjAj3.png
iOX9wDFAvC5UQ.png

Outside, on a big screen, Gotou shows up talking about how he's using demons he's summoned to purge the world of hatred, poverty, etc. and to fight the evil people who seek to destroy Japan, and form a utopia where humans and demons can live together.

He's a bit cuckoo.

Aeana

This post contains spoilers for the end of the first arc of SMT1.

i6NPVGneRrTOe.png
ibpyB9N28kKlmA.png

When we last left off, Gotou was raving on the big screen about crazy things, and our heroine had been kidnapped. So we head off to find her... only to find that she's been strung up for execution.

ieg9hcbcDG92o.png
iUiqcNpeRuO8u.png

Yuriko is behind this, of course, and she doesn't care for our party crashing, so she sends tons of dudes at us. There are several waves of enemies, but it's not too bad.

ibwsj7fulMGc6i.png
ipk3KJz5bnTny.png

So we save the day, and after returning to the bar, Paula joins us. She also gives us a fake ID to use to get into Gotou's place and the American embassy. We need to go to both places, but I'll go to Gotou's first.

iPY1pCXPBcw1d.png
iik1ZIDc2nWyc.png

We get through security at Gotou's place easily, and we go give him a chat.
Gotou explains that his minions got a little out of control, and that he never meant for Paula to be executed. He just wanted the resistance to quit bugging him. He goes on to say that he's been preoccupied with a plan to build a new kingdom in the name of god, and anybody who worships god is free to get in. Those who don't must be killed, however. There are actually missiles aimed at Japan to cleanse the nonbelievers at this very moment. And naturally, he wants our help.

That doesn't sound very good, so I decline. Off to see the American ambassador

ilxl7Ux9k4fPU.png

The embassy is a neat looking place, but the doors are really hard to see in the GBA version. I had to get out my mapper spell to see everything. (._. )

im3nLUnPoazsX.png
ibzgxcJfyPbiY8.png

At the top, we meet the ambassador. He doesn't speak Japanese, so the COMP will translate everything he says into terrible Japanese.

The ambassador explains that Gotou is actually serving Lucifer, and he wants to bring demons to Tokyo. So he pleads for us to beat Gotou so peace can come to Japan.

I'm not convinced by either story, so I'm just gonna tell them both to eat it.

ibx7l2Tzcz6CRC.png
iwPiz6wJf70qH.png

I go fight Gotou and win easily.

ib1eg3t2KnmivC.png
iCHQJL9OdtBYd.png

I return to the ambassador, and it turns out he's actually Thor, so I beat him too.

iVD3Oe7RDsnlB.png

But then he arms some ICBMs and...

ib1bEbNRMAJDPE.png
ibfkuIkiDj7kJe.png
iblPBmpw5ZenPR.png

Well, that sucks.

iqfXWu3Ec4JXx.png

We wake up to this guy. He won't say much, except that two other dudes are here with me and I should go get them.

iOPOnRoyeFHZy.png
i2by3oad5KLtN.png

Hey, it's these guys.

ieF17aOt774Ng.png

When we return to him, he explains that this place is the Kongoshinkai, which is Japanese for Kongoshinkai. It's sort of like the afterlife or netherworld or something, he says. He also reassures us that despite the missiles, humanity has managed to survive, but he isn't sure we really should go back.

Then for some reason, he sends us to go get him some soma from a spring. Twice.

ibsOJhcCv1Prw.png

We have to come here two times!! But we get to keep the second soma.

When we return to him, he sends us off to fight two phantoms and gain their weapons. And we have to go alone, so Jeff and Poo can't come. Jerk. This is where we find out just where our alignment ended up after the last set of events. One of them is aligned with chaos, the other law. If you're law or chaos, you can only fight one of them.

iblIyyYOxVsayC.png
ib03J8BMGm6Fep.png

iM4dcQMrWnLUZ.png
ibd6WM6F5UkGbE.png

Fortunately, things went well, and I am neutral and thus able to fight both. I get the light kodachi and the guillotine axe and head back.

ie6PpKixqkGv5.png
iFcYSsIX75Sas.png

He gives me the crescent sword and opens the gates, we can leave!
The crescent sword can only be equipped by neutral characters, so I throw that on my guy, and put the other two weapons on Jeff and Poo.

Aeana

I will be eventually, but probably not until later next month. SMT1 is going more slowly than I'd like and then SMT2 is after that, and then DDS1 and 2.
But Ys Origin is out on Steam tomorrow, so there's a break in there for that.

Aeana

Tomorrow already? Hmm...I already stopped my DDS1 playthrough because Meruru arrived early.
Will you participate in the FFV Four Job Fiesta this year?
Unlikely. I'll be making the thread for it, and I'll be in there cheering everyone on, but I don't think I'm going to play. I've got a half-finished FF5 game from a couple of months ago, and I don't really want to play the game twice so rapidly.

Koroviev

Unlikely. I'll be making the thread for it, and I'll be in there cheering everyone on, but I don't think I'm going to play. I've got a half-finished FF5 game from a couple of months ago, and I don't really want to play the game twice so rapidly.

When is the fiesta? I've never played V.

Aeana

When is the fiesta? I've never played V.
Pre-registration starts Friday, the fiesta itself is supposed to start on June 17th.
We don't usually recommend that first-timers go through with the fiesta, but if that's what you want to do, by all means do so.

Koroviev

Pre-registration starts Friday, the fiesta itself is supposed to start on June 17th.
We don't usually recommend that first-timers go through with the fiesta, but if that's what you want to do, by all means do so.

Uh, I'm actually not sure what this Fiesta thing is about. I was thinking it was a "let's all play V!" thing, but apparently not :lol

Aeana

Uh, I'm actually not sure what this Fiesta thing is about. I was thinking it was a "let's all play V!" thing, but apparently not :lol
What happens is that you get a set of jobs chosen for you randomly and you have to stick to those jobs through the entire game.
Although, there may be a little twist involving that this year...

Koroviev

What happens is that you get a set of jobs chosen for you randomly and you have to stick to those jobs through the entire game.
Although, there may be a little twist involving that this year...

Oh, so it's a bit like the Nuzlocke challenge for Pokemon, just a bit more specific?

In other words, I should play the game at least once beforehand?

Jucksalbe

Banned
My TV is occupied, time to continue Persona on PSP. Last time I played was more than half a year ago, so I didn't really remember where I was or where I had to go. Luckily, I started inside a dungeon very near to the end.

OT8jG.png
T2dor.png
GeDnJ.png

My playtime is pretty much meaningless, since because of the dumb way the game counts your time, it also counts the time when the PSP is in sleep mode. My real time is probably more around 8-10 hours.

5R98R.png
eLedG.png

Started in Kama Palace B10, the dungeon below the Mall. I remember running around in this dungeon for quite a long time, which was probably why I quit the game last time.

kusRJ.png
lQfCp.png
hDPmB.png

On my way to the boss I found a room with a bunch of treasure chests. This can only be good, right? One of them contained some kind of reaper figure after which all of my party members only had 1 HP left. Oh, Persona, why so nice to me? Good thing healing doesn't cost much in this game.

h8ec3.png
HXj78.png
LfBdx.png

Boss time! Or so I thought. Instead my party pissed her off so much, she teleported me right out of the dungeon.

WjSrT.png
9D9c9.png
PmKL3.png

So, where to next? Of course, back into the dungeon, down to level B10 again. The game doesn't make it easy to like it.

PmKL3.png
fBvmy.png
WXNNp.png

Of course, I didn't know why around the dungeon anymore. The most important parts of the map were already revealed, though. My biggest problem was, that I was curious what you could in the unexplored regions, so I ran around the dungeon a lot....again.

M1yI1.png
3en8c.png
QjIZx.png

I even took the turn right before the boss room which led me back several floors. In the end I had to redo half the dungeon.

NXQ6k.png
vCPil.png

On my way I got to talk to a toilet. Or rather its inhabitant....

fkVwq.png
oEzpV.png

Finally, time for the boss fight. This time for real.

7K5i5.png
asL3a.png

You only have two party members for this fight (everyone else turned to stone), but it's still not very hard.

asL3a.png
gdO33.png
WEhBw.png

In the end everything's great again and I get to go to a castle, somewhere.

xCjgV.png
enVIb.png

But enough for now. Looking at my save file this dungeon took me 19 hours to go through, maybe it's not the sleep mode, it's just that the game measures "perceived time".

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda raging right now, which is very rare but man. Continued with DDS2 and made it to a sequence where you're chased across multiple levels frantically checking doors all the way through. For some reason this is the one sole thing that actively scares me in games and the reason I quit Monkey Island 2 right before the end and dread enemies like the wallcrawler things in the Zelda games.

Made it to the third floor with only two more doors left to check after being booted back to square one about 8 times when my father accidentally cut the power. It's irrational as fuck but I am not looking forward to replaying that stuff at all.

Koroviev

Made it past
Belzaboul
on the first attempt. He threatened to put up a fight, but I lucked out by having a Megami on my team to deal with his
spawn
attacks. I planned to have two teams crack separate skills, but my second team was ill-fitted for the battle, so I just tanked it with my main team and left the secondary one behind. I haven't had to repeat anything in a while, but I should probably fuse some new demons since I've had this set for some time now.

Current demons:

Tao Tie (Vile), Lv. 53
Norn (Megami), Lv. 57
Astaroth (Tyrant), Lv. 55
Yama (Deity), Lv. 49

oh my gosh, the building where the church is after getting warped in SMT is soooo confusing. i am really liking the game so far though. although, i don't really understand much about demon fusing and capturing and what good demons are.

Finalow

Kinda raging right now, which is very rare but man. Continued with DDS2 and made it to a sequence where you're chased across multiple levels frantically checking doors all the way through. For some reason this is the one sole thing that actively scares me in games and the reason I quit Monkey Island 2 right before the end and dread enemies like the wallcrawler things in the Zelda games.

Made it to the third floor with only two more doors left to check after being booted back to square one about 8 times when my father accidentally cut the power. It's irrational as fuck but I am not looking forward to replaying that stuff at all.
what dungeon?
I
just finished EGG Installation (second time), after Power Plant.
still a lot of questions about the plot.

As a guy who loves RPGs (and mostly games like Pokemon and more fantasy ones like Xenoblade and Tales), has never played a SMT anything game, should I give one a shot?

Mostly asking due to IV, looks like a great time to jump in, but should I try Overclocked? Maybe wait for Soul Hackers which might come over before IV, or try Strange Journey?

The dark and freakish nature of the series seems to be intimidating, I mean there's an enemy that is based on a PENIS! o_O

But how should I go about if I try one? How is the main SMT games as the most relevant examples?

As a guy who loves RPGs (and mostly games like Pokemon and more fantasy ones like Xenoblade and Tales), has never played a SMT anything game, should I give one a shot?

Mostly asking due to IV, looks like a great time to jump in, but should I try Overclocked? Maybe wait for Soul Hackers which might come over before IV, or try Strange Journey?

The dark and freakish nature of the series seems to be intimidating, I mean there's an enemy that is based on a PENIS! o_O

But how should I go about if I try one? How is the main SMT games as the most relevant examples?

Eh.. transitioning from games like Xeno/Tales, Persona might be a good way to dip your toe in the pool. P3 or P4, take your pick; from there, I'd recommend SMT: Nocturne

Koroviev

If you like SRPGs, definitely check out the Devil Survivor games. DS2 is lighter in tone and more reminiscent of the Persona games, while Overclocked has much more in common with mainline SMT.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Heck yeah. I got into the SMT series in 09, and I really love it. I'd sugest starting with Devil Survivor for DS/3DS.

XeroSauce

Oh, so it's a bit like the Nuzlocke challenge for Pokemon, just a bit more specific?

In other words, I should play the game at least once beforehand?

I did the fiesta and it was my first time, and I enjoyed it through, but I got stomped on.

It'll be fun, but it's a challenge if you are up for it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
what dungeon?
I
just finished EGG Installation (second time), after Power Plant.
still a lot of questions about the plot.

I'm still fairly early on.
It was the jailer in the processing plant. I'm now in the Karma Society Tower fighting the creepy trio.
Wasn't too bad on the second try, because I knew were the doors were.

cj_iwakura

Has anyone done P1's Snow Queen Quest beside me? Fun challenge, but not sure I'd ever enjoy enduring that hell again.

Also, to counter Aeana's Raidou 1 file, I need to get a screen of my Devil Mode clear.

Still have Raidou 2 King mode pending, as well as a 'no compendium' run of Nocturne.

Koroviev

And
Belberith
is down. My strategy kind of fell apart, but this time I got lucky with a vile. Plan ended up being much simpler than I had anticipated :lol

Edit:
Naoya
and
Loki
are out. This time my plan really fell apart, and I ended up relying on my secondary team to win the battle. Nevertheless, the battle was fairly painless. I was expecting
Loki
to really complicate things, but he went down without much of a fight. I'll take care of
Babel
after I've had some sleep ;)

Finalow

I'm still fairly early on.
It was the jailer in the processing plant. I'm now in the Karma Society Tower fighting the creepy trio.
Wasn't too bad on the second try, because I knew were the doors were.
oh yeah, that dungeon can be a pain. I hated him. (the jailer)

Aeana

I think I'm gonna chill out with the updates, since they're slowing my progress dramatically and I don't think anybody really cares that much. I've been taking the screenshots as I play, but I've just been playing and I've gotten a fair bit done. I just
got the memory board from the police station and upgraded my COMP to hold 10 demons

I do have to share this, though, since I'm totally jazzed about it:

iUzEskb8n4Tyh.png

Just got Taraka's rare drop via negotiation, a sword that is twice as powerful as what I have now, the higyousanko.

Ys Origin will be out in a couple of hours, and I'm definitely gonna give that a replay so I'll put this aside until then.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think I'm gonna chill out with the updates, since they're slowing my progress dramatically and I don't think anybody really cares that much. I've been taking the screenshots as I play, but I've just been playing and I've gotten a fair bit done.

You should know from the FF thread that rarely any of the "update posts" get a specific reply. That doesn't mean nobody cares. I at least read all of these updates here and most of them in the FF thread.

Ys Origin will be out in a couple of hours, and I'm definitely gonna give that a replay so I'll put this aside until then.

Does Steam have a specific time when they release new games? I don't remember at what time OiF was released.

Aeana

You should know from the FF thread that rarely any of the "update posts" get a specific reply. That doesn't mean nobody cares. I at least read all of these updates here and most of them in the FF thread.

Does Steam have a specific time when they release new games? I don't remember at what time OiF was released.

It's noon Central time, whatever that turns out to be worldwide. It's 4.5 hours from now.

Letep

A struggle.

I picked up Devil Survivor 2 the other night. Of course, I want to dive in (afraid!)

I also never finished SMT: Strange Journey, and as of late, I've been thinking of it again.

Then there's the option to play one of the PSP Persona games on my Vita.

Help me decide, Gaf!

pwack

I keep trying to get into Persona 2, but it's not clicking for me. I have gone through the first 2-3 hours of gameplay several times. I find Demon negotiation is aggravatingly slow (especially the animations), combat is far too frequent and too easy to be interesting. The plot so far seems only alright. Does any of this change as the game progresses? Or is this what the game has in store?

Koroviev

A struggle.

I picked up Devil Survivor 2 the other night. Of course, I want to dive in (afraid!)

I also never finished SMT: Strange Journey, and as of late, I've been thinking of it again.

Then there's the option to play one of the PSP Persona games on my Vita.

Help me decide, Gaf!

Devil Survivor 2, of course ;)

Really, I think it's probably the easiest one to finish. The Persona games are great, but long. Strange Journey can be one tough cookie.

I did the fiesta and it was my first time, and I enjoyed it through, but I got stomped on.

It'll be fun, but it's a challenge if you are up for it.

Did you manage to finish the game?

Teknoman

I keep trying to get into Persona 2, but it's not clicking for me. I have gone through the first 2-3 hours of gameplay several times. I find Demon negotiation is aggravatingly slow (especially the animations), combat is far too frequent and too easy to be interesting. The plot so far seems only alright. Does any of this change as the game progresses? Or is this what the game has in store?

Yeah I gotta say thats crazy how easy the first are in Persona 2 IS PSP. No reason an SMT universe game should be that easy lol.

I've had issues getting into both Persona 1 & 2, for some reason, beloved though they may be. I feel like they can't decide whether they want to be more like old-school megaten or new-school Persona, and they suffer for it.

Koroviev

I've had issues getting into both Persona 1 & 2, for some reason, beloved though they may be. I feel like they can't decide whether they want to be more like old-school megaten or new-school Persona, and they suffer for it.

They're waffling all over the place!

Lumiere

Neo Member
P2's battle system is not exactly fantastic, and I am not fond of the persona system - besides that though story/setting are great, and way better than P1.

I've been playing P2 IS PSP lately, am about 6-7 hours in - probably going to go straight to EP PSP once I beat IS, even though I really feel like replaying Nocturne lately for some reason...

SMT 1 is pretty fun so far. I felt bad throwing poor Pascal into the demon fusion thing, but the Kelberos that was created is badass. Surprised I am able to use it at my level. Glad I read about that a few pages back because I would have never bothered creating a demon that strong because I would assume it would tell me I couldn't.

Just beat Dorman and about to warp over to the next area. I was so stoked to try out my Kelberos...but he was literally bound through the entire fight.

A few things to note...

-The story immediately has it's hooks in me. The modern day setting is really interesting, and not something I am used to in these kinds of games. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy shit is gonna happen.
I was like WTF when my mom got killed

-The autobattle makes this game very easy to play. Particularly because of how often I get into battles. Is there a spell or item to decrease them a bit?

-I just remembered I had a monster manual for this game that came with an old Famitsu back when the game came out. I always wondered what that game was at the time, and its great to finally be able to play it.

Top Bottom