• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Finalow

skipping Angels in DDS2, for now. last one requires too much grind. =/
I don't miss anything special so np I guess.

cj_iwakura

The angels were underwhelming. You do get one awesome scene before fighting them though.

(All four of them attacking you in formation.)

Satan on the other hand...

Currently on 6/2 in my P3: FES game. I'm getting close to the second full moon. I think I prefer P4's multiple dungeons, but I really am enjoying myself. The characters that have been introduced so far are fine, though I connected better with P4's. All in all, it's been time well spent and I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

Koroviev

Oh man, that final boss. It's like the bullshit boss to end all bullshit bosses. Wasn't able to take down
Babel
on my first attempt. At least I know what elements to bring next time.

Aeana

Today I went ahead and fused the best sword in the game, just 'cause it's fun.

When you get to Shinagawa, you find the Kusanagi sword. It's not that great, certainly not better than the Higyousanko I got earlier. It's special, though, in that once you have it, you can use sword fusion at the cathedral of shadows. Each sword can only be fused with one specific demon to power up. In the Kusanagi's case, it's sylph.

i4t9EMcPGOreZ.png
i4WlCG6hVgBLS.png
irfyIdHWBNu4K.png

Fusing her with it creates the Futsumitama, which is a little better, but still not better than what I've got. So let's fuse it again. This one can fuse with Undine.

iShkv6xDYGA1L.png
imMm2AbcCfmeY.png
ibdrOeReoLOd8G.png

This gets us the Amemurakumo, which is much better than what we've got. It's one of the most powerful weapons in the game. But why stop there? We could fuse it with Salamander and get...

ibkhsyUXcEfMNr.png
iGB8XbUosfBj6.png
ioK8OqECB35Dz.png

The Hinokagutsuchi. The best weapon in the game, by far. 200 attack power, 2-4 hits per strike, and +1 to every single stat. Yesss.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yeah, those....As I said, I still have a lot to play. :)

Edit: Btw, I added a link to the FFV4JF to the OP, I hope you don't mind.

Koroviev

Second time was the charm for
Babel
. I had no idea drain was so OP at higher levels! I guess I've "finished" the game, but I chose to go on to the 8th day, rather than starting a new game+ just yet. I think I said this before, but I decided to align myself with
Amane
to become the
messiah
. I'm excited to see what this 8th day is all about! :)

Aeana

Just finished SMT1. Took me about 14 hours, longer than usual, but I did some optional stuff I don't ordinarily do, and that was pretty fun. I'm not sure whether I'll dive into SMT2 next or not.

Aeana

I think I want to do the PSX version of SMT2.
I have both the bugged and bugfixed version of the game, so I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out which is which. I should really put a note in here somewhere. But I think I figured it out now, going by the modified dates on the executables on each disc.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm going to start Raidou 1 tonight. I'm looking at about 20 hours, I think? It'll be a nice light follow-up to 60 hours of P4.

60 hours of P4? Is Persona 4 so much shorter than Persona 3? I only finished P3 and that took me 110 hours (original version).

cj_iwakura

Belated get!
This is more gorgeous than I imagined:

IMG_6549.jpg

(The book too!)

Thing is a TOME.

Also, got the Kaneko pandemonium artbook, as said:

IMG_6552.jpg

Never seen that demon before...

One of these days, under the influence of alcohol, a raise/windfall, and/or the glory of a recently completed Megaten game, I'm going to end up ordering those.

cj_iwakura

Very nice. I picked up all three of them when I was in Tokyo in 07. My favorite art books by far.

Just finished it.

There's art for the SMT1 cast I've never seen before. The hg101 art is from the PC Engine version! I'll get some pics later.

I must get II and III Works now.

NichM

Banned
The artbook stuff aside, it seems I found myself starting a new game of Persona PSP tonight since I was tooling around on my newish Vita and wanted to try a PSP game. I know I should do something cool, like try the Snow Queen Quest or recruit Reiji or something, but I will probably end up just doing a normal playthrough with Elly as my fifth because I'm boring and also because I just love Elly so much.

cj_iwakura

Ayase is the true demon road. (She's awesome.)

And if you never did SQQ, uh... hope you got some Megidoers ready! So many cheap kills waiting.

cj_iwakura

I'd give most of it up for this:

110590107-260x260-0-0_alter+persona+3+elizabeth+1+8+scale+pvc+figure.jpg

I do have a Lucifer, so there's that.
(Demon, not Helel)

Pound for pound I kind of like the Digital Devil Apocalypse artbook most, just because it covers so many different games.

Aeana

In retrospect, I regret not continuing the SMT1 updates. I have screenshots a fair bit after where I quit updating, but I did eventually stop taking them. It would be nice to look back here and read my playthrough again in the future. I don't think I'm going to make that same mistake for SMT2.

Tarazet

I started playing Persona 3 Portable today. Since the New Game+ doesn't transfer to Maniac mode, I decided to just go for broke and give it a whirl, since I am an experienced gamer and I know how to play strategically. So far, I've gotten to level 15 of the dungeon and I'm around April 30. Lots of deaths, because all of the enemies do stupid damage and it spikes considerably if they get a crit or hit a weakness, but nonetheless, it has felt completely fair, balanced and well thought out.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm nearing the endgame in DDS2. The big secret bosses quest of this game just opened up. Not sure if I should bother. My party is level 40 and still doesn't have any Dyne skills, and I had to use my first impell stone on the previous boss. Story is starting to pay off big time. Really enjoy it. My only complaints with this series are the kinda crazy encounter rate and dungeons that go on for way too long, especially the ones full of teleports.

Wow, so maybe I have a good reason to finally play DDS1/2.

Also, I recognize that Junes shirt! I picked one up at NY comic con last year.

Teknoman

Why am I not suprised that Kaz's signature resembles a penis.

I saw a wing >_>

Btw, anyone know where I could find some good...maybe even official megaten wallpaper? Honestly i'm surprised there isnt a Nocturne or DDS PS3 theme yet.

EDIT: Does Devil Summoner 1's story lead directly into Devil Summoner 2? Both of them seem pretty expensive unless its just Amazon.

Btw, anyone know where I could find some good...maybe even official megaten wallpaper? Honestly i'm surprised there isnt a Nocturne or DDS PS3 theme yet.
If I remember correctly these are official. They're not very good though.

EDIT: Does Devil Summoner 1's story lead directly into Devil Summoner 2? Both of them seem pretty expensive unless its just Amazon.
No, the stories aren't connect to each other. I prefer the first game because of the better story, but as Aeana mentioned earlier in this thread it might just be my memory playing a trick on me.

DS2 has a new story, but there are minute connections you'll better appreciate if you played Raidou 1 first.

Did they fix the whole whiffing problem of the first game? Hey I'm comboing, then poof demon teleports behind me and I'm not stopping my combo fast enough when I should be able to?

Aeana

Did they fix the whole whiffing problem of the first game? Hey I'm comboing, then poof demon teleports behind me and I'm not stopping my combo fast enough when I should be able to?
The answer to any question that begins with "Did they fix that problem in the first game where..." is yes.

Finalow

final dungeon of DDS2 already. not a very long game, like the first one.
still i need to grind again since my mantras are pretty trash right now.

Koroviev

Just finished the game in a little over 60 hours, including the 8th day, completing the
Amane
route this time around. The 8th day was alright, though I prefer how it was implemented in Devil Survivor 2, which is kind of inevitable, given that DS2 was actually planned around having an 8th day.

While the combat was fun as ever, I really wasn't too keen on most of the characters. The 8th day made me go from liking
Amane
to merely tolerating her, although
Honda
received some interesting development.

Maybe I'm just too familiar with the mechanics from playing Devil Survivor 2 recently, but this game felt a fare bit easier, barring a few early boss battles. By the end of the game, I was pretty much invincible, or at least my main guy was. However, it was very evident that a physical build is broken by default. Goal-protecting missions aside, I was able to complete virtually all of the 8th day battles by just tanking it with my main team.

Criticisms aside, I'm looking forward to another playthrough, this time pursuing the
Atsuro
route. Might do another playthrough of Devil Survivor 2 first, or perhaps take a break with a non-SMT game :lol

I decided to give Strange Journey another shot thanks to this thread. I'd gotten to the second sector before putting the game down for other distractions... so I'm gonna start over and see whether taking horrible screenshots for other GAFfers will help keep me motivated. There will probably be spoilers in the interests of keeping my posts coherent.

After dealing with the events in the game's opening (the squad of expedition ships crash-lands, power goes out, demons attack), a distress signal arrives from fellow squaddie Jimenez, whose ship is apparently in pretty bad shape. Since we lack sufficient crew to man a rescue operation, my intrepid commander decides to accompany me through the curious network of ice caverns to find the signal's origin...

1E1vq.png

Well, we find Jimenez's ship, but it's kind of blocked by this fella. He's weak to fire, as you can see, but he hits like a truck. My poor Tangata Manu ends up getting one-shotted and misses out on some nice XP.

63GAG.png

They told me to smile when they were taking my picture, but fuck that, I'm a scowler. The in-game help informs me that my Demonica's key growth stat is Magic, but the automatic stat allocation seems to go for a balanced rather than a min-max approach... that's cool.

Unfortunately, the Orias I just fought is a tricky bastard... tactically retreating and then striking while our guard is down. The commander is fatally wounded. Homecoming is not a joyous one, especially since my new buddy Jimenez is... well, he's kind of a douche. Here's his take on our next mission, which involves exploring the caverns for rare materials called "forma" (some of which you get from killing demons) that we can use to augment our combat abilities:

vxGLB.png

Well I mean, I guess you can just kick back on the ship if you want, man. I'm sure the rest of the crew will be thrilled to have you there, since our commander sacrificed himself for you and all. Oh, but hey, did you hear we can summon demons to fight for us, thanks to a mysterious-but-probably-totally-harmless benefactor?

Zy7Rc.png

Ohoho, I think someone's ears just perked up. More to come later.

cj_iwakura

Yep, SJ is full of Kaneko goodness.

Same he did so little new art for that game. Imagine if the entire crew had been given portraits. (For all we know, maybe they were...)

Flunkie

Banned
P3P so far is sweet for typically not liking these types of games. The "skip" feature on battles is especially nice. The whole social thing so far isn't pulling me in like I feel it should though. Don't care about a lot of the characters so far (4~ hours).

Which personas should I focus on making, or is it purely opinion based?

Edit: I started on easy, anticipating that it'd be a hard game. Kinda blowing through it right now, only died once and used a revive. Will the rest of the game be like this?

Top Bottom