• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

Smash Bros trailer is unrealistic right? The team just finished Kid Icarus. No way they're past the planning stages.

I highly doubt we'll even get a brief CG teaser. If anything, Sakurai may announce the return of the Smash Dojo updates.

Smash Bros. Brawl was announced at the pre-E3 2005 conference but development started in October 2005 with about 100 staff members working on the game full-time. About 7 months later, during E3 2006 , the first trailer was shown. The Smash Dojo website began receiving weekly updates a year later.

With Smash Bros 4, Sakurai has had like 4 months since Kid Icarus was finished (reportedly went gold in late January) to work on the new Smash Bros and for two different platforms no less. The following came from Sakurai in a January 2012 Nintendo Power interview:

I can’t really say anything until things settle down with Kid Icarus… And a lot of it will depend on the team that I end up assembling for Smash Bros. It may take a while, but I think that your patience will be rewarded.”

By April 2012, Sakurai admited he was still formulating a game plan.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Most of the small Nintendo news websites are getting weird phone calls about the Wii U. Do you guys think it's Nintendo or some prank caller?

Yeah, Geoff or whatever his name is said it. It sounded like he was just assuming so, but he did say "Mario will be at launch". I always assumed it would honestly, but that is closer to confirmation as you can get outside of nintendo I suppose.

Was he vague enough that it could just be, I dunno, "Mario Pinochle" or some similar side game?

I can't keep up with all these leaks!

Too lazy to read one post, eh? :p

Nintendo ruined my plans. Since this was my light work week I was going to do most of it tomorrow. But nooooo, they had to set up landmines for Sunday. Now I'm going have to do about half of what I planned. :p

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

v9XVb.jpg

^^^
To anyone who is interested...

Please sign up for my BINGO game. I've got a few dozen playing so far, but many of them have PlayStation themed avatars, so... you know. I'd like to have as many WUST regulars as I can get.

Also, I've decided to include the Nintendo Direct as part of the game but people can still sign up after that and before the Tuesday press conference.

Did I mention you can win $50 towards a Wii U preorder? :)

11redder

N0kTB.jpg

I see a squid squirting ink, a fish, a face, and a nightmare creature.

Oh and I am currently playing DKCR. Retro can do no wrong with their games as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait for their new IP ;)

I see 2105...

21x05=105
10+5=15
1+5=6

And its on at least two sides, so 66 and probably another...

666 - the number of the beast o_0
Nintendo is about to unleash hell on earth, believe.

Hiltz

Gearbox Praises Wii U

“I love this platform. I’m very excited about it because it gives us a path to realise some things that are more future-looking than we could if we were only on the current generation. It’s up to Nintendo to talk about their specs and I must follow them. I’ve committed myself to honouring their confidentiality.” - Randy Pitchford

“It’s (Aliens: Colonial Marines) going to look awesome! And it’s unbelievable how many things that exist in the Aliens’ franchise actually work for that controller. It’s been a real treat, quite frankly, because the controller and the features of the system enable us to do things we can’t do with the other consoles. We can always use more memory and rendering capability. I think that’s one of the most exciting things about the Wii U. Not only do you have the technology of what you can do gameplay wise but it will be one of the best looking versions of the game.” - Brian Cozzens

http://nintendoeverything.com/89594/more-wii-u-praise-from-gearbox-software/

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I just watched the Geoff All Access thing now and it seems pretty clear to me he is making a prediction about Mario at launch. It was an educated guess and not based on any inside information.

Do any of you think more Japanese devs that have typically stayed away from Nintendo consoles since the N64 will release more games on the Wii U? I mean it should be cheaper to develop for with the weaker tech(I don't mean this in a bad way) and it seems like it may be something that Japanese gamers get into it a lot with the touch screen and the way they love the DS.

Instro

So I noticed the developer discussion with Katsuya Eguchi is now listed as pre-recorded. If that's the case, is there a normal roundtable this year?

Hiltz

Do any of you think more Japanese devs that have typically stayed away from Nintendo consoles since the N64 will release more games on the Wii U? I mean it should be cheaper to develop for with the weaker tech(I don't mean this in a bad way) and it seems like it may be something that Japanese gamers get into it a lot with the touch screen and the way they love the DS.

Which Japanese third-parties did you have in mind ? I'm sure we'll see a lot more multiplatform support given how popular it has been during this generation, especially with franchises that were formerly platform exclusive.

I don't think it'll be cheaper at all to develop for the weaker tech, if that's what we're getting. We haven't yet maxxed out what the PS3/360 can do with enough money pushed at them, so if the Wii-U is capable of better-than-360 games, even at the slightest, it'll only be cheaper to develop for if developers actually spend that much more money to develop their games - if the average developer makes $50 million games next-gen, then sure, the Wii-U will be develop for. But that ain't gonna happen. Wii was super cheap to develop for compared to the competition, but this is a different situation.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I got into a random Nintendo hype period. I started playing my DS backlog (which, I'm not going to lie, is only Pokemon White right now because DS games tend to be long and they tend to require a pretty hefty time investment) and I am also getting a 3DS sometime in the near future. I never got into the Wii (even though I have one) but I hope this conference will make me hyped for Nintendo's next system. I really do like Nintendo's "out of the box" thinking when it comes to hardware development and I think they killed it on the handheld side. I would love to see them kill it on the console side.

There is a caveat - I know the Wii has done extremely well. I am not denying that. I just don't think the Wii has hit me personally like it has other people. I hope the Wii U might change that (I like the idea of the tablet controller so I'm hopeful).

I say all that to say... consider me hyped for tomorrow!

Also, Nintendo (to me) has always had the best E3s as of late. I'm saying this out of surprise when it happens. I wasn't excited or hyped for any of Nintendo's past E3 showings, but they have always came out on top when compared to the conferences that I was excited for (namely Microsoft). I think it may have to do something with Nintendo focusing on the gaming side of their system while Microsoft, in particular, will try to cater to many different markets (which will leave the hardcore with 2-3 games to be excited for during the conference).

BD1

Banned
I don't think it'll be cheaper at all to develop for the weaker tech, if that's what we're getting. We haven't yet maxxed out what the PS3/360 can do with enough money pushed at them, so if the Wii-U is capable of better-than-360 games, even at the slightest, it'll only be cheaper to develop for if developers actually spend that much more money to develop their games - if the average developer makes $50 million games next-gen, then sure, the Wii-U will be develop for. But that ain't gonna happen. Wii was super cheap to develop for compared to the competition, but this is a different situation.

I agree. Game budgets for PS360 are already tanking the industry, and that's the level Wii U will be at.

I do think Nintendo is on to something with their strategy of licensing middle ware for free to devs. It could be cheaper to develop for Nintendo, via back end incentives, not up front costs.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I can't believe it all starts tomorrow now. I had my mind ready for E3 starting on Monday. Everyday my mind would day-dream about the awesomeness that June 4th and 5th would be. June 3rd was just another day of waiting and anticipating.

But now it is so much more. Not only is a huge conference going down, but a Wii-U related hardware minefield!! All those days, day-dreaming about the 4th, my body wasn't preparing for what awesomeness might lay within June 3rd..... I need rest, see you all tomorrow.

Roo

I agree. Game budgets for PS360 are already tanking the industry, and that's the level Wii U will be at.

I do think Nintendo is on to something with their strategy of licensing middle ware for free to devs. It could be cheaper to develop for Nintendo, via back end incentives, not up front costs.

I'm sure this will only be applicable to Wii U exclusives. I can't see developers using Nintendo's free tools for multiplatform titles since Wii U won't be the target console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom