• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Low Settings Screenshot Thread

Computron

I would love to play a game that has no textures or fancy shaders, just High-Res Geometry (or normal mapped low poly geo), basic colors and GI as an art direction.

So, something like this Lighting+Normals (Or detail Lighting mode as it's called in UDK) only version of the UDK Showcase map:

YblGF.jpg

pDgns.jpg

eRoZG.jpg

iRm1e.jpg

The lighting makes this pretty simple scene really stand out.

Computron

DUDE.

Thats's source engine, plug in these Half Life 2 DS console cammands I posted earlier:

r_WaterDrawReflection 0
r_WaterDrawRefraction 0
r_shadows 0
r_lod 5
mat_picmip 3
mat_dxlevel 60
mat_fullbright 1
mat_diffuse 5
mat_bumpmap 0
mat_forceaniso 0
mat_reducefillrate 0
mat_mipmaptextures 0
mat_filtertextures 0
mat_bloom 0
mat_envmapsize 32
mat_envmapgasize 8
mat_antialiasing 0

See how much better it is than this:

iMbvFVt3UiRZU.gif

I wanna see that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So now I know what it's look for my 90% of my friends/family who play laptops or netbooks lol.

Eh, that might be true for netbooks, but only really shitty laptops would have to go down to the ultra-low settings on display in this thread. A decent laptop will run at least console-like visuals fine, and an above-average one easily surpasses that. A laptop doesn't automatically equal shit for games anymore, even though they obviously won't max out the most demanding games.

BHK3

Banned
This is literally how I played this game on laptop for a year. And even then I still got bad framerates :(

Same here, it's a poorly optimized game, I used to be able to run it somewhat on high, now it's only low, and it crashes when I try and play the developer commentary.

ekim

When I need more frames, the first thing I do is decreasing the resolution.
In fact, Many games look better in lower resolutions as you won't see the imperfect stuff like the bald woods in skyrim from a distance. I actually played skyrim in 800x600 due to this.

delta25

Banned
Thread seems quite counter productive to what PC gaming is all about, but funny none the less.

For a second there I thought I walked into the official console screenshot thread.

lol ;)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Somehow, every old PC game (~2000ish) manages to look better than every single one of these games on low.

Kerub

Banned
Crysis

I changed it to the lowest res on 4:3 but it didn't stay for some odd reason, just notice the screens are bigger...sorry...

Hehe, I remember playing Crysis on these settings when it launched.

I still only got around 20 fps but I had fun. Good times.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Same here, it's a poorly optimized game, I used to be able to run it somewhat on high, now it's only low, and it crashes when I try and play the developer commentary.

Hmm, really? On high settings at 1080p, my laptop (which is not really a beast; there were considerably more powerful (and much more expensive) laptops available when I bought it last year) runs it at 60 fps. Or it did when I tried it, which was quite some time ago. Does it run worse lately?

ts3low3zgxzh.jpg

ts3low4bazs8.jpg

Dat draw distance...

As you can probably tell, the Sims themselves aren't that bad, and indoor stuff actually looks pretty decent. But the neighbourhood is where it looks ugly as sin. Just awful. Amazing FPS boost though, really wish I had the same performance on max haha

Thread seems quite counter productive to what PC gaming is all about, but funny none the less.

For a second there I thought I walked into the official console screenshot thread.

lol ;)

I would have thought the opposite ;)

Updated size rule for 4:3 images, 1280x1024 makes more sense as someone said :)

The second Just Cause 2 screen has some sort of an artistic vibe to it, thanks to the semitranslucent trees in the back. Rico riding through a canvas while warm sunset light bathes him.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Eh, that might be true for netbooks, but only really shitty laptops would have to go down to the ultra-low settings on display in this thread. A decent laptop will run at least console-like visuals fine, and an above-average one easily surpasses that. A laptop doesn't automatically equal shit for games anymore, even though they obviously won't max out the most demanding games.

That's the thing the majority of them run on shit laptops/netbooks and can only run things on low and if they're lucky medium. Have one cousin who has over 500 hours in CS:S playing at an average of 9 fps with occasional spikes to 19. Nearly everyone I know plays on a laptop/netbook that has nowhere near enough power to run anything competently.

This thread got me to try Crysis 2 on the lowest possible settings at 720p.

Hot damn, the game still looks great!

I funny thing is that Crytek didn't technically have a "low" setting, the lowest you can go is "High".

Seriously, Crysis 2 is the best looking performing game I've played, it's DX9 is prettier than the majority of DX11 mode in other games and runs a hell of a lot better to boot.

Top Bottom