• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

Ran rp

Hey, listen!

My thoughts on the Beta so far…

Alright I’m having a blast right now despite a bunch of network errors. If I would suggest anything it would be that there doesn’t seem to be enough player feedback.

• It’s often hard to tell if I’m landing attacks since I don’t hear clear, pronounced hit sounds. Edit: There are hit sounds, I just don't think they're loud enough and satisfying.

• A sound for picking up super orbs would help me know if I’m collecting them. If there already is a sound then I can’t hear it over everything else.

• It would also be great if there was a nice distinct sound for whenever a person reaches a super gauge level. I never know when I should watch out for a super because I never know when someone has one unless I stare at the player icons. Again, if there already is one then I’m not noticing it.

• Vibration/audio feedback on death. Sometimes I don’t even notice that I died until I realize that my character has suddenly disappeared from the screen. A brief, distinct death sound or vibration would help a lot.

• There needs to be a better indication of where I’m spawing. I almost never know where and when my character spawns after death, causing me to waste valuable time scanning the screen for him/her. Maybe a brief flashing arrow in the player’s color will help players find their character quickly and get back into the action. Or make vertical beam of light the player’s color.

• Greater visual differences between character skins is almost a must. A slight change in the color of armor doesn’t really help us tell each other apart. In every game where others are playing with the same character as me I’ve found myself staring at another player wondering why my controls aren’t working. The player number doesn’t really help because when I’m in the heat of battle It's hard to read the labels. They don’t stand out against the already busy screen. The colors aren’t vibrant enough and blend into the characters/environment. Edit: I'm getting used to the color/player number association, so this isn't much of a problem anymore. [I know that there will be character costumes so those will definitely help, I just hope that there are at least three unlockable on disk and not as DLC, because we really need them.]

• How about the ability to throw items vertically? Sometimes chucking an item to the left or right isn’t the best option and that item goes to waste.

Glitches:

• Luckily I haven't run into any freezing yet but apparently that's still an issue for many others.

• I do occasionally have a hanging blue screen as the level is loading.

• Sometimes items cannot be picked up with R1. The prompt comes up and the character reaches down but never picks up the item.

• Winning characters will sometimes display a defeat animation.

• Pressing X on the network error pop-up automatically selects a character on the character select screen. It's always Kratos since he's first.

I guess my main issue with the game right now is that you can only keep track of everything if you stay visually focused on everything, and that’s difficult to do in such a chaotic game. I feel that I should be able to close my eyes and still be able to follow most of the action just by listening. More audio/physical feedback and better visual clarity and this game will feel really tight and polished. The controls already are, but the other components of the game need some work.

EDIT - DAY 3: Man, I'm laying here in bed wishing that the Vita version was included in the beta so I could continue playing. I've played this beta for three days straight and I don't think I've done that with any other fighting game/brawler. Even Smash Bros got a little stale now and then if I didn't take a break from it. It's the perfect blend of the Smash series' mascot brawling with the speed and depth of your favorite fighters.

The game isn't even finished yet but it's already my GOTY 2012.

Takuya

Banned
Sorry CC have to post this here,some people are most likely still on and have a code.

Please post or PM me if you got a code so I can removed you.
--LIST---

Please post or PM me if you got a code so I can removed you.

What the hell, I was on there on page 1... Where the hell did I go?

PSY・S;40372904 said:
Hey, listen!

My thoughts on the Beta so far…

Alright I’m having a blast right now despite a bunch of network errors. If I would suggest anything it would be that there doesn’t seem to be enough player feedback.

• It’s often hard to tell if I’m landing attacks since I don’t hear clear, pronounced hit sounds. Maybe a faint vibration would help too.

• A sound for picking up super orbs would help me know if I’m collecting them. If there already is a sound then I can’t hear it over everything else.

• It would also be great if there was a nice distinct sound for whenever a person reaches a super gauge level. I never know when I should watch out for a super because I never know when someone has one unless I stare at the player icons. Again, if there already is one then I’m not noticing it.

• Vibration/audio feedback on death. Sometimes I don’t even notice that I died until I realize that my character has suddenly disappeared from the screen. A brief, distinct death sound or vibration would help a lot.

• There needs to be a better indication of where I’m spawing. I almost never know where and when my character spawns after death, causing me to waste valuable time scanning the screen for him/her. Maybe a brief flashing arrow in the player’s color will help players find their character quickly and get back into the action. Or make vertical beam of light the player’s color.

• Greater visual differences between character skins is almost a must. A slight change in the color of armor doesn’t really help us tell each other apart. In every game where others are playing with the same character as me I’ve found myself staring at another player wondering why my controls aren’t working. The player number doesn’t really help because when I’m in the heat of battle It's hard to notice the labels. They don’t stand out against the already busy screen. The colors aren’t vibrant enough and blend into the characters/environment. They’re also practically touching the characters so when I’m scanning the screen for my character the labels just look like they’re part of the character. Maybe raising them a little and slightly enlarging them will help players (me definitely) spot and read them quicker. [I know that there will be character costumes so those will definitely help, I just hope that there are at least three unlockable on disk and not as DLC, because we really need them.]

• How about the ability to throw items vertically? Sometimes chucking an item to the left or right isn’t the best option and that item goes to waste.

Glitches:

• Luckily I haven't run into any freezing yet but apparently that's still an issue for many others.

• I do occasionally have a hanging blue screen as the level is loading.

• Sometimes items cannot be picked up with R1. The prompt comes up and the character will reach down but never picks up the item.

• Pressing X on the Network error pop-up automatically selects a character on the character select screen. It's always Kratos since he's first.

I guess my main issue with the game right now is that you can only keep track of everything if you stay visually focused on everything, and that’s difficult to do in such a chaotic game. I feel that I should be able to close my eyes and still be able to follow most of the action just by listening. More audio/physical feedback and better visual clarity and this game will feel really tight and polished. The controls already are, but the other components of the game need some work.

Agree with the 2nd till 6th point. Parappa and Sly Cooper have good visual differences btw.But they did say they will have many skins and outfits.

baekshi

Banned
PSY・S;40372904 said:
Hey, listen!

• It would also be great if there was a nice distinct sound for whenever a person reaches a super gauge level.

• Vibration/audio feedback on death.

• There needs to be a better indication of where I’m spawning.

• Greater visual differences between character skins is almost a must.

I agree with all of this. I noticed about the items as well, it's just up(using rocket), left or right. There should be more items spawns.

Agree with the 2nd till 6th point. Parappa and Sly Cooper have good visual differences btw.But they did say they will have many skins and outfits.
No, sly cooper DOESN'T have good visual difference.
t3TE7l.jpg

PSY・S;40372904 said:

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. If I die, I normally don't notice it and then when I respawn I have to literally stare at the screen to see where I spawn at. SSB had those platforms that hover in, I think All-Stars needs something more visual as well. I think the combat audio is sounding better, but it definitely needs more oomph. I think the glowing aura as an indicator of the super meter isn't enough, I usually don't notice until after I'm halfway towards another level :\

Boss Man

I think they made a mistake removing knockouts and hazard deaths because people couldn't tell that they were dying. People can't tell that they're dying because it's hard to keep track of your character in the first place. Removing knockouts and stuff just removed an element of the game for no reason, I worry.

The first thing they could do to help that would be super easy to implement is to make it so that the '1P', '2P', '3P', '4P' icons only appear over players who are playing locally on the player's machine. Online, I don't these things should be indicated for other players.

entremet

So what do any Smash fans think of the game? I'm a big Smash fan and was excited about this game since it was first revealed, but I wonder how the lifebar system would work, as I always preferred the percentage system in Smash for arena fighters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just wish that some people would playing smart in demo. Many people are smashing senseless and let radec racking up the deaths. I tried to kill Radec but other two people kept fighting against me and let Radec win.

So what do any Smash fans think of the game? I'm a big Smash fan and was excited about this game since it was first revealed, but I wonder how the lifebar system would work, as I always preferred the percentage system in Smash for arena fighters.

I really like the game, but I think every smash players should give it a try. There is no lifebar, just filling your ap bar up then activate your super attacks to racking up the points.

Loudninja

I think they made a mistake removing knockouts and hazard deaths because people couldn't tell that they were dying. People can't tell that they're dying because it's hard to keep track of your character in the first place. Removing knockouts and stuff just removed an element of the game for no reason, I worry.
Sorry but I am very glad the game does not have knockouts.

This game is about the super system not knocking someone off a stage.

Boss Man

This game is about the super system not knocking no better off a stage.
That's fine, but you have to acknowledge that it wasn't that way before people complained about not being able to keep track of how they were dying.

This is an issue of keeping track of the player, not the actual deaths. All I'm saying is that I think they went after the wrong thing.

The network issues and glitches remind me of Twisted Metal, albeit not as bad. I really hope it gets fixed since the game is a lot of fun.
From what I've played, the Beta is very indicative of a smooth experience. I think I experienced lag one time. If it's happening at random times for everyone at once, that seems like something that will be ironed out and not something that will make it to the final version.

bakedpony

The network issues and glitches remind me of Twisted Metal, albeit not as bad. I really hope it gets fixed since the game is a lot of fun.

Ran rp

Thanks Psy dear, I will update the OP in a couple of days with helpful content, your impressions are definitely one of them. :)

Thanks. :)

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. If I die, I normally don't notice it and then when I respawn I have to literally stare at the screen to see where I spawn at. SSB had those platforms that hover in, I think All-Stars needs something more visual as well. I think the combat audio is sounding better, but it definitely needs more oomph. I think the glowing aura as an indicator of the super meter isn't enough, I usually don't notice until after I'm halfway towards another level :\

Yeah, there needs to be a slightly louder and more satisfying sound for hits. I did just notice that there is a small vibration when you land some attacks, but I don't feel it every time for some reason. Maybe it's just for attacks with decent to considerable strength. I need to play more to figure it out.

Sorry but I am very glad the game does not have knockouts.

This game is about the super system not knocking no better off a stage.

Agreed. It would also be really annoying to have to spend time returning to the fight because you're flying off the screen in every direction. Everyone else would be beefing up their super gauges for kills except you. No dashing makes it even worse. I wanted knockouts at first but they just wouldn't work well here.

bakedpony

That's fine, but you have to acknowledge that it wasn't that way before people complained about not being able to keep track of how they were dying.

This is an issue of keeping track of the player, not the actual deaths. All I'm saying is that I think they went after the wrong thing.

From what I've played, the Beta is very indicative of a smooth experience. I think I experienced lag one time. If it's happening at random times for everyone at once, that seems like something that will be ironed out and not something that will make it to the final version.

Is it just me? I had a match where a Parappa player performed a level 3 super. We didn't die but we couldn't move. Only parappa could. As Radec after a level 3 super, my opponents never respawned and we had to wait til time ran out.

Btw my psn id is bakedpony1, country is Phi if TC wants to add me in the OP:)

This. I'm a throw heavy player in fighting games and the grabs in this game are so slow that they're borderline worthless.

Disagree, throws are fine, you are just having them interrupted and need to use it when you have a safe chance. They can take out a good chunk of AP if the enemy has it.

I'm hoping the last second kills register in the final form, it doesn't in the beta.

I think I noticed Super 3's extending the game past 0 seconds, but super 1 and 2's dont count after you hit zero.

I think Ill be turning hazards off because they unnecessarily move the camera around, making it harder to track already hard-to-track character models.

I worry that the graphical style of this game makes it impossible to truly have distinctly recognizable characters as easily as SSB, but there is a lot they can do to fix this. I just really want to see the fix before the final game because I'm worried about it (and also, SB has said nothing about it, we are just assuming they will do it)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Been hearing some are having connection issues today. Guess that's the whole point of a stress test I suppose.

Just got disconnected from one of my best game..... Got over 9 kills.... >.< Everytime, I am doing well in the game, I got disconnected. Shame!

I'm very concerned about this game. I admit that I have a lot of fun with this game but I am getting frustrated when it came to random ffa where many people would be very brainless and smashing everything they see. Some people wouldn't dare to try to attack Radec or Parappa when they are alone in other spot. I meant they are letting them filling up the ap easily so they can use the super attacks.

I think it might be more enjoyable if it was 1 vs 1 with serious players, but when I want to have fun and frustrating time then it will be FFA style.

I think few characters' attacks are too much imo. Kratos and Fat Princess's timer should be shorter, and they should add counter to AP spam.

I am sick of Parappa running to corner and spam boombox to fill up the AP, then when people get close he would spam upper boombox to psuh people away. It's hard to get close in specific area.

Just got disconnected from one of my best game..... Got over 9 kills.... >.< Everytime, I am doing well in the game, I got disconnected. Shame!

I'm very concerned about this game. I admit that I have a lot of fun with this game but I am getting frustrated when it came to random ffa where many people would be very brainless and smashing everything they see. Some people wouldn't dare to try to attack Radec or Parappa when they are alone in other spot. I meant they are letting them filling up the ap easily so they can use the super attacks.

I think it might be more enjoyable if it was 1 vs 1 with serious players, but when I want to have fun and frustrating time then it will be FFA style.

I think few characters' attacks are too much imo. Kratos and Fat Princess's timer should be shorter, and they should add counter to AP spam.

I am sick of Parappa running to corner and spam boombox to fill up the AP, then when people get close he would spam upper boombox to psuh people away. It's hard to get close in specific area.
I hate this, especially on the Hades stage.

B.O.O.M

Well that's the issue with noobs isn't it? It's always the same in any multiplayer game. For example playing Team Objective with noobs in uncharted mp is frustrating as hell..stand in the glowing area you bastards! Don't stand outside and wonder if something will happen...it's not a landmine!

end rant lol

but yea it seems there needs to be some adjustments to certain character abilities to balance things out more

That's what happens when you play with randoms, most of whom seem to just play randomly and not be aware of what's happening. Give them time to learn. If there was a party system, or even a rematch option, it'd be real good to play with a group of competent players. Before the beta was cracked open to more people, I'd run into familiar faces whose strategies I knew and who would be more aware of things like Parappa's boombox.

I am finding that Super 1's are all impossible to dodge because they come out of nowhere. Almost no time to look down and see who has it, and with FFA being such a moshpit, Super 1's are pretty effective for half the roster who can see to take out 2 or 3 enemies... I am imagining what it would be like if you could block Super 1's.

k_Reign

Yeah fun match.

I do think Slys supers are 2 powerful.

Is first one can get atleast 2 people easily, its 2nd one can kill multiple very easily.

Sly's level 2 is okay because of its duration. You can get everybody with it, but only once, and only if they're close together. Unlike Fat Princess's level 2 which lasts long enough to get everyone on the screen and then a bit extra. I have a feeling Heihachi's level 2 is going to be way OP as well...

Boss Man

I've never been very involved in fighting games, but I have a feeling that I'm going to get serious with this one and actually try to figure out combos and stuff for the characters.

Is anyone using the d-pad? I tried a couple of times but every single time I found myself back on the joystick accidentally.

Sly's level 2 is okay because of its duration. You can get everybody with it, but only once, and only if they're close together. Unlike Fat Princess's level 2 which lasts long enough to get everyone on the screen and then a bit extra. I have a feeling Heihachi's level 2 is going to be way OP as well...

What's heihachi lvl 2?

SmithnCo

I agree, his lvl 2 is about on par with others. His level 1 is a little too good though.

solidus51

Banned
I just went 6-0 playing hard and not running. I see a lot of players running away when they don't have keep away characters or health and people aren't dodging or blocking. Is there a way we can play a private match?

Top Bottom