• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Guten Morgen NeoGAF,

Thank you for the warm words.

So today is the day of the Bratwurst-Fest. I'll pay a visit to the butcher now and get a variety of sausages for your viewing pleasure.

Side-dishes will be "Nudelsalat" (salad of noodles, "Fleischwurst" (a kind of mortadella), mayo and pickles) and homemade bread.

One question remains, depending on the weather:

How would you prefer your sausages, NeoGAFfers? Charcoal-grilled or pan-fried?

Discuss!

OnkelC said:
Guten Morgen NeoGAF,

Thank you for the warm words.

So today is the day of the Bratwurst-Fest. I'll pay a visit to the butcher now and get a variety of sausages for your viewing pleasure.

Side-dishes will be "Nudelsalat" (salad of noodles, "Fleischwurst" (a kind of mortadella), mayo and pickles) and homemade bread.

One question remains, depending on the weather:

How would you prefer your sausages, NeoGAFfers? Charcoal-grilled or pan-fried?

Discuss!

Finally the bratwurst-fest, I have been waiting for this since the second reply in this thread. :D

Personally, I like them pan-fried (assuming I interprete the term correctly).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
BBQ Action FTW!

Anyway, this is a fairly simple recipe for Pasta Putanesca (or something I’m led to believe to be something like that ;)

You’ll need the following:

01gg7.jpg

Olive oil, Parsley, red pepper, garlic, peeled tomatoes (you could use fresh ones but this saves time), anchovy, black olives and capers (the little ones). And, of course, pasta, but since I assume everyone knows how that works (if not, read one of OnkelC’s recipes) I’ll ignore that. Putanesca goes well along various types of Pasta.

First, you cut everything up real good:

02hj6.jpg

03vw0.jpg

Then you start with heating the oil and frying the garlic, red pepper and anchovy. This only needs to fry for 30-60 seconds.

04bh1.jpg

You then add the olives, capers and tomatoes.

05bo9.jpg

This needs to simmer for something like 5 minutes. You want the tomatoes to fall apart (can help a little to flatten them while in the pan). After this, add parsley:

06oz9.jpg

Then it’s ready! Hope you guys like it.

07dg3.jpg

Irrelevant bonus shot of my new posters:

08ua3.gif

Zensetsu

OnkelC said:
I am very interested, since I never tried out brewing my own stuff. A friend of mine makes his own wine from own grapes. I would appreciate the recipes, especially the finnish one, Sima, and also the cider one. Gib it to me baby!

Here are some interesting ideas for infusing fruit or herb flavours into alcohol, havn't tried and of these yet, i'm waiting for cherry season. Going to make a cherry vodka. :D

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Processing_Food/Fruit_Liqueurs/

Here is a recipie for Sima, and there is a link to another one on this page.

https://ideotrope.org/index.pl?node_id=23467

Here's a link for cyser, more effort involved in this one but presumably a more desirable product at the end.

http://www.nwlink.com/~badger/cyser.html

There are a few key factors you have to look at with any kind of brewing:

1: Sterility......Make sure the bottles and equipment you are using that come into contact with the mixture have been sterilized with very hot water (at least). You want to avoid storing the fermenting material in direct sunlight or where it is too hot or cold and also avoid exposing it to the open air too much. If the mix goes "off" you will know about it, the smell is really horrible.

2: Yeast.......You need it to ferment obviously, so looking at the kind of sugars involved is important. Simple sugars ferment the fastest, but slower sugars add taste. The type of yeast is also variable, I used dry yeast for the Sima, and some live champagne yeast for cider.
You can find dry (bakers) yeast at just about any supermarket. Live yeast can be harder to come by, it is usually found in the refrigerated sections but some places don't have it. If you live near a brewers supply shop then you are in luck.

3: Contamination....Be on the look out for factors that inhibit fermentation. In one batch of Sima I made I couldn't find organic rasins so i used some dried cherries. They had some preservative agent in them that stopped the fermentation so it wasn't very interesting to drink. Be aware that you want the eqipment and ingredients to be sterile but not antibacterial because you still want the yeast to do its job.

4: CO2.......If the fermentation is going allright then your yeast will be producing carbon dioxide as it works. If you cap your mix too early you can have an explosion as the gas builds up. You can use a store bought "airlock" to cap your mix.
I avoid this with a little trick: Brew in a bottle or jug that has a smallish mouth and after you have finished adding it all together you stretch an ordinary balloon over the mouth of the bottle and secure it with a rubber band. As the fermentation occurs the balloon will partially inflate. Then use a pin to poke a small hole in it. This will allow the CO2 to escape without allowing the outside air back in, and you will avoid bacterial contamination. A sort of improvised "airlock".

Here is a recipie for a lychee "wine" I made up. All measurements are approximate, its about getting a feel for it rather than being completley exact.

1 litre of Organic lychee and white grape juice mix.(Store bought) Can be substituted for any juice of your choice but try to get organic because some juices have preservatives in them that will halt the fermentation. You could make your own juice and even include some of the pulp into the mixture if you wanted to go for a longer fermentation peroid.

Half a cup of brown sugar
Half a cup of white sugar
A little bit of organic honey for taste. (approx 3 tablespoons) *optional
A fair amount of water, depending on how large your container is.

Yeast: I used a small chunk of live brewers yeast, approx. 1.5 cm cubed. You can also use dry (bakers) yeast. Just use a sachet and make sure you activate it by mixing with lukewarm water and letting it sit for about 10 mins. If the water is too warm you will kill the yeast.

Directions:
Get a large container ready to use as a fermenting jug. You basically want it to be the volume of your juice x3. So for a litre of juice I used a 3 litre container.

Boil a litre and a half of water and add the sugars and honey, stirring until they disolve. Let the mix cool. Add your juice to the fermenting jug, then pour in the cooled sugar water. Add live or activated dry yeast to the jug, making sure that the mixture isn't too hot, as this will kill off the yeast. Cap the jug and turn it upside down a couple of times.

Affix the balloon fermenting system described above (or a store bought airlock if you want to be fancy).

Let sit in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight for a week or two (or longer depending on the mix - if you used fruit pulp (and more complex sugars it will take longer for the yeast to work).

You will never get anything stronger than about 10-13% alcohol because the yeasties will kill themselves off at any higher concentrations. This is all entirley legal where I come from (Aus) and in most places, as long as you don't distill the alcohol. (boil and extract it from the mixture.)

This is more of a rough guide than any specific recipie, you can change and modify as long as you remember the basic ingredients yeast and sugars for the yeast to feed on. If you are interested there is a fair amount of information out there in books and on the web for making more interesting stuff.

Phew sorry for the long post! Theres no way you can tell it simpler though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei:
that is one fine recipe and the pictures are great, too! Two thumbs up.

Edit:
Zensetsu, those recipes sound really interesting and worth trying out. Thank you for the detailed description. WORTHY CONTRIBUTOR!

I find the lack of american recipes and pictures of them disturbing. No cooking in the US of A?:D

BBQ: 3
Pan: 1

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
I find the lack of american recipes and pictures of them disturbing. No cooking in the US of A?:D

burgerking.gif

That's a friendly challenge america, what you got! Somebody from the south make something don't they have "good ole home cooking" down there or something?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I enjoy my fix of Whopper and/or Big Mac from tome to time, too.
But some input from the melting pot of cultures would be really appreciated.

EDIT:
This ain't no competition at all in here, just a sharing of the joy of cooking and the broadening of cooking horizons of the fellow NeoGAFfers. Including my own.:lol

Especially cooking beginners are heartily encouraged to post their efforts here!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Tonight I'm gonna try something from the Indonesian-Dutch cuisine. Closer to the Indonesian cuisine then the Dutch, but it's probably not really authentic Indonesian cooking. I think I can get away with it since I'm only 1/8 Indonesian =).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Rei_Toei said:
Tonight I'm gonna try something from the Indonesian-Dutch cuisine. Closer to the Indonesian cuisine then the Dutch, but it's probably not really authentic Indonesian cooking. I think I can get away with it since I'm only 1/8 Indonesian =).
Indonesian cuisine is one of my first and best memories of the netherlands. I am a sucker for everything saté / satay, btw.
Recipes are appreciated!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Weather is looking good, over here, so all signs point to barbecue. To kill of that little hunger that rises around lunch time, have an assortment of some german sweets and chocolate at hand:
smallCIMG0396.jpg

description, clockwise from the bag at 12o'clock:

hanuta (a cocoa creme with roasted hazelnut chunks between two crispy wafers)

kinder country cereal bars (whole milk chocolate covered cream of milk with roasted cereals in it)

Haribo Goldbären. Gummibears from the inventor of gummi bears, Haribo World headquarters (acronym of HAns RIegel BOnn) is situated in my humle home town.

Ritter Sport chocolate (whole milk chocolate with hazelnuts and white chocolate with roasted hazelnuts and crispy bits)

Yoghurette chocolate (filled with a strawberry yoghurt creme, accept no substitutes!:lol ) and kinder chocolate (similar to kinder country, but smaller bars and no cereals involved)

"Mikado" sticks. I believe them to be the famous "Pocky" sticks, as they bear a Glico logo on the package this one comes in whole milk chocolate flavor, they are also sold with dark chocolate.

"Überraschungseier", the "kinder eggs" that truffleshuffle83 was asking about. They consist of two shells made from white and whole milk chocolate and contain a capsule with a surprise for children (german: "Überraschung") which can be a collectible figure or a small toy. The collectible figures, themed in small series of 10-15 different figures after own creations of the firm (famous are the "Happy Hippos", which became a nickname for the figorously challenged), get horrendous prices at the bay or specialized auctions, as they are rare and never reissued. Marketing has it that "Every 7th Egg" contains one of the figures.

Center:
After Eight after dinner mints.

I would be interested to see some sweets and a short description from your Bases, links to the manufacturers would be great, too.
Keep'em coming!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
My German Frauline demands I bring her back these

pixie.jpg

enter_logo.jpg

when I come back from NZ each time I go. I think milo is british but you can't get it in Berlin.

Pixie caramel is really chewy caramel dipped in chocolate. If you get it just right it takes about 30 mins to eat a bar.

Milo is pretty much chocolate drink, but its almost undisolvable in milk, you always end up with a delicious crunchy layer on the top of your milk that you can eat with a spoon.

Peru

Hunger...hunger...ravenous hunger building up. Damn my dark, claustrophobic filthy student kitchen! (So if anyone's up for the simplest, yet tasty homemade recipes...)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru said:
Hunger...hunger...ravenous hunger building up. Damn my dark, claustrophobic filthy student kitchen! (So if anyone's up for the simplest, yet tasty homemade recipes...)
Keep'em coming! Simple is best sometimes. And welcome to the world of home-style cooking on NeoGAF.

Peru

I might add one of the few winners I know, but I was more inquiring for someone else to give golden easy-as-pc tips :b

Hooker

I'm going on experiment tour today. Tuna, pasta, coconut milk are the main things, rest will be decided while the fire is burning ^^

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru said:
I might add one of the few winners I know, but I was more inquiring for someone else to give golden easy-as-pc tips :b
OK lets go ad-lib, please state what ingredients you have and what cooking utensils are present!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hooker said:
I'm going on experiment tour today. Tuna, pasta, coconut milk are the main things, rest will be decided while the fire is burning ^^
I would guess for a thai influenced dish. Post the outcome of your efforts!

Peru

OnkelC said:
OK lets go ad-lib, please state what ingredients you have and what cooking utensils are present!
Well not that much, but the store is just right outside my window. Basically what I've got is pasta, some vegetables, spices..your basic dairy products. Can get other basic groceries in 2 minutes:b Easy pasta dish, please..

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru said:
Well not that much, but the store is just right outside my window. Basically what I've got is pasta, some vegetables, spices..your basic dairy products. Can get other basic groceries in 2 minutes:b Easy pasta dish, please..
OK, since you must go for shopping, you can try out the following:

Buy some fresh or frozen peas (150-200 grams), cook them for roughly 5-10 minutes in about 300ml fresh cream with some salt and pepper (add garlic if you like), add some diced cooked ham (100-150 grams), maybe some cream cheese for taste, add cooked noodles:
DONE!
Tasty and fast.

Zaptruder

Banned
catfish said:
Milo is pretty much chocolate drink, but its almost undisolvable in milk, you always end up with a delicious crunchy layer on the top of your milk that you can eat with a spoon.

Damn barbarians. Use a little hot water to dissolve the Milo before pouring in the milk.

Indeed, Milo doesn't really need milk; it already has plenty of milk solids.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Zaptruder said:
Damn barbarians. Use a little hot water to dissolve the Milo before pouring in the milk.

Indeed, Milo doesn't really need milk; it already has plenty of milk solids.

oh hells no! best milo is ice cold milk and you just BEAT the milk and milo till they give up and mix. You get a workout and the post workout energy requirements!

A shaker with a few Ice cubes in is the best though.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
catfish said:
That's a friendly challenge america, what you got! Somebody from the south make something don't they have "good ole home cooking" down there or something?

my girlfriend and I are making a classic American dish, "london broil" (yes, you read that, classic American "London broil" - I don't get it either). Already took pictures of the preperation, the meat is marinating now. You'll get pics after we make dinner tonight :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!

I'm pretty much printing all the recipes in this thread on monday and adding it to my cookbook I think.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nerevar said:
my girlfriend and I are making a classic American dish, "london broil" (yes, you read that, classic American "London broil" - I don't get it either). Already took pictures of the preperation, the meat is marinating now. You'll get pics after we make dinner tonight :D
Excited like a child before christmas!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
These are the ingredients for the "Nudelsalat" (Noodle salad):
smallCIMG0400.jpg

250 grams of short, twisted noodles (Fusilli would be a great choice),
one tube of remoulade, can be substituted with sauce tartare or miracle whip,
3-4 pickles
small can of peas, fresh/frozen ones are OK, too,
salt and pepper.

The big sausage is a german classic called "Fleischwurst" (translates into the redundant "Meat sausage"). Detail view
smallCIMG0401.jpg

It is best compared to a mortadella but without the solid meat and bacon pieces contained in the mortadella.

"Fleischwurst" is made from pork, mostly ham, some bacon and spices, which are finely ground, then put into a (synthetic peel) and cooked and/or smoked. Every butcher hands out a slice of this sausage to little kids when the parents buy something, so the taste is familiar to most people over here. The usage is versatile, it is great on bread and salads like the following, but can also be used in warm dishes, like fried with some cheese and mushrooms or baked in bread dough with some mustard and ketchup.

Preparation of the Nudelsalat is already in progress (coutesy of the wife, as she brought the recipe in our house), as it must take some time to "blend the tastes" before consumption to gain optimal taste.

Pics are uploading. Stand by.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
S. L. said:
the sauce looks fantastic :D~
And where did you get that LiT poster? have been looking everywhere in germany... but it seems to be a US only poster...

Thanks for the compliment! The sauce is fantastic :D. Because of all the basic ingredients (Parsley, peppers, anchovy) you don't need any additional spices and/or salt. It has a very distinctive taste.

Regarding the LiT poster, I bought it from a Dutch website, postersale.nl, but they don't seem to carry it anymore.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So let's cook, Part 1: "The Nudelsalat a la Jeannie" (noodle salad Jeannie style)
The Nudelsalat is one fo the three German salad standards for our traditional BBQ. The other two are "Kartoffelsalat" (potato salad) and "Fleischslat" (Polony salad). "Fleischsalat is great on a slice of fresh bread, too.

Preparation is fast and easy, but the noodle salad needs some time to rest between preparation and serving to develop its taste. Put this into consideration.

Special utensils needed: Big ass bowl and eventually hairnet sieve (pictured before).
Start off with putting a small pot of water on the stove, salt it and put the heat to max (no pic, see one ove above recipes).

First, remove the peel of about a quarter of the polony and cut it into small cubes:
smallCIMG0403.jpg

Next, prepare the peas. If you use canned peas (preferred by the wife), put them into a hairnet sieve and let them dry up a bit:
smallCIMG0404.jpg

The water should be cooking by now. add about 250 grams of fusilli or other twisted/curly noodles:
smallCIMG0409.jpg

Stir them occasionally while cooking to prevent them sticking together.

Then take some pickles. Do not pour away the pickle water, it is needed later on.

If available, I prefer to use pickles from the "Spreewald", a little nature repository south of Berlin. The pickles from there are oragnically farmed and considered among the best in Germany. Every better Supermarket over here carries them. They are a little bit more expensive (as in a few cents more) than the normal pickles, but the plus in taste is well worth it.

PRO TIP: If the lid of a pickle glass won't open, use scissors to lift the lid a bit:
smallCIMG0402.jpg

Alternatively, you can try to turn over the glass and give it a swift blow with the palm of your hand. If a "PLOP" can be heard, the lid should open easily afterwards.

cut the pickles in cubes and add them to the other ingredients:
smallCIMG0407.jpg

smallCIMG0408.jpg

The noodles should cook a tad longer than "al dente"; they should be done at this point. Pour them into a sieve and stop the cooking process with cold water:
smallCIMG0411.jpg

Put the dried up noodles in the Big ass bowl and let them chill down for another 2-5 minutes; they should be warm to the touch:
smallCIMG0416.jpg

Then add the precut ingredients and mix them:
smallCIMG0417.jpg

smallCIMG0418.jpg

smallCIMG0419.jpg

smallCIMG0420.jpg

Add a decent amount of salt and pepper, the noodles can take quite a bit of it:
smallCIMG0424.jpg

smallCIMG0423.jpg

Next, add some of the remoulade or stated substitutes and stir it in:
smallCIMG0425.jpg

Now add some of the pickle water (about one or two spoons at first), stir it in and have a taste.
smallCIMG0428.jpg

Repeat this with remoulade and/or pickle water until the taste is pleasing you.

DONE!
seal the bowl with aluminum foil and let it rest for at least 60 minutes, better two hours.
No "Guten Appetit" yet for that reason.:lol

The furter time estimate is a s follows:
Preparation of "Nudelsalat" was finished around 4.30pm Berlin time.
Next step of the preparation will be the homemade bread, starting around 5.30pm Berlin time.
Grill will be lit up around 6pm Berlin time.

The ingredients needed for the homemade bread (comparable to a plain focaccia bread) are as follows:
smallCIMG0434.jpg

roughly 600 grams of "strong rising" wheat flour (I'll check the correct term later)
a cube of fresh bakers yeast (about 19 grams)
some handwarm water
sugar
salt.
Preparation will start in about 20 minutes. Stay tuned!

ChryZ

Rei_Toei said:
Looking good! How about some parmesan cheese next time?

Oh and to OnkelC, very cool thread. Your efforts are amazing. You're like the german ambassador of GAF. Good job, keep it up! I'll try to contribute too. Something japanese, chinese, korean or mexician ... gotta think about it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Oh and to OnkelC, very cool thread. Your efforts are amazing. You're like the german ambassador of GAF. Good job, keep it up! I'll try to contribute too. Something japanese, chinese, korean or mexician ... gotta think about it.
Thank you very much. I'll try not to blush. Some asian recipes would be cool, also some of the vast variants of the mexican stuff. I am looking forward to your future submissions!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Weather update, roughly 5.45pm Berlin time.
THIS is how the sky over this humble kitchen SHOULD look like on Sausage Fest Day:
smallCIMG0137.jpg

This is how it actually looks:
smallCIMG0440.jpg

One can smell the rain coming.

But fear not, fellow GAFfers.

One of the virtues of a cook is mastery in the art of improvisation. So no BBQ in the garden, but more like this:
smallCIMG0441.jpg

UP YOURS, WEATHA GODS! HAHAHAHAaaaa! *cough* I LAUGH IN YO FACE AND DEFY YOU!

:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook, Part 2 Act 1:
Preparation of the dough for homemeade bread.
The recipe for bread is a very basic one. The dough can be used for a multitude of variations, a preferred one of mine is focaccia filled with various cheeses, tooped with fresh tomatoes and rosemary. But for the Sausage Fest it will be a pure bread to accompany the salty aspects of the various sausages and dips.

Special utensils needed:
Electric mixer with dough hooks
smallCIMG0444.jpg

The yeast should be prepared first. If you want to use dry yeast, prepare it according to the packaging. For using fresh yeast, get a glass of water and put some sugar in it:
smallCIMG0435.jpg

Next, add some handwarm water to about 3/4 of the glass and mix with the sugar:
smallCIMG0436.jpg

Positively do not use cold water, as it may destroy the yeast.

Then unpack the yeast. If it smells ugly with a slight sour note, the yeast is OK. Mix it a little bit with the water, the cube will dissolve in a few moments:
smallCIMG0437.jpg

smallCIMG0438.jpg

smallCIMG0439.jpg

When the mix starts to fizz lightly, the yeast is ready for use.
smallCIMG0442.jpg

Put about 500-600 Grams (half a pack of) the flour into a mixing bowl, make a little hole in the middle of the flour and add the yeast mix. Start kneading immediately:
smallCIMG0447.jpg

If the dough becomes too crumbly, add some handwarm water and continue kneading:
smallCIMG0449.jpg

Add some salt to the mix.

When the dough starts to come off the walls of the mixing bowl, he is alright. It should look like this:
smallCIMG0450.jpg

smallCIMG0451.jpg

Put a towel on the bowl and let it rest on a wind protected place for about 30 minutes:
smallCIMG0453.jpg

Part two follows.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Part 2 Act2:

After 30-45 minutes, the dough should look like this:
smallCIMG0455.jpg

knead it again for a few seconds:
smallCIMG0456.jpg

smallCIMG0457.jpg

smallCIMG0458.jpg

and put the towel back on for another 30 minutes:
smallCIMG0459.jpg

It's time for firing up the grill. I use beechwood charcoal and the thingamajic to get the best results. Explanation of the tingamajic will follow shortly.
The following pics are self-explaining, so enjoy:

smallCIMG0461.jpg

smallCIMG0463.jpg

smallCIMG0464.jpg

smallCIMG0465.jpg

smallCIMG0466.jpg

smallCIMG0467.jpg

smallCIMG0469.jpg

smallCIMG0468.jpg

7pm Berlin time and counting.
Finish line and Finale Furioso will follow. Stay tuned!

IJoel

I love this thread. I will try to post one of my recipes this upcoming week (perhaps on Monday.)

Great job, OnkelC.

Hooker

"Thai" pasta dish for the broke student

I think my digicam broke halfway through (dropped it :() so I had to take pictures with my cell. Colours are kinda shitty, looks really not appetizing at all in the pics :/

Ingredients
1.jpg

Soya-sauce, ginger sauce, coconut milk, fish sauce
canned tuna, lime, garlic
spring onions, red chilli peppers

Chopping everything up. Piece of advice, take those seeds out of the chilli's they'll knock you out cold. Take the top of, and roll them like a cigar, all should fall out. That's 2 chillis, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 spring onions and a bit of parsley I had left.
2.jpg

Use a wok, take it to maximum heat with a bit of either olive of peanut oil. Just before it starts to smoke chuck the garlic and chillis in. Keep on stirring otherwise it'll burn. At this point your eyes will start to water and you will sneeze a lot due to the sharpness of the spices... I sure as hell did. Cool it down by pressing half a lemon in there. Add the spring onions and parsley and turn the heat down.
3.jpg

add a generous amount of ginger sauce to coat the spices, soy sauce and fish sauce for seasoning. Then add half a can of coconut milk. turn the heat down some more and let it reduce it. It should be like a creamy pasta sauce, that kind of consistancy
4.jpg

Add the canned tuna, don't stir too much as you'll break it up. Once the tuna is warm all through, it's done.
5.jpg

One piece of advice, watch out with those chillis. I thouroughly cleared all my sinuses and fear tomorrow morning for my wake-up shit :S

I have a killer desert still left, but not going to make it for another 2/3 hours

thanks for posting the kinder eggs onkel. i remember those from my childhood. i actually grew up in italy but was born in wiesbaden, and visited there often because thats where my grandparents are from

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
truffleshuffle83 said:
thanks for posting the kinder eggs onkel. i remember those from my childhood. i actually grew up in italy but was born in wiesbaden, and visited there often because thats where my grandparents are from

Hi truffleshuffle,
This is what was inside:
smallCIMG0527.jpg

a game of dominos.

Pictures are uploading, please stand by...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sausage Fest Part 3 and Finale:

smallCIMG0502.jpg

After another 30 minutes, the dough and the coal are coming along nicely.
First, pout the coal into the grill. Be careful, this is hot as hell:
smallCIMG0503.jpg

smallCIMG0504.jpg

smallCIMG0506.jpg

Apply the "Rost" and let it heat for the time being:
smallCIMG0507.jpg

Now, get back to the dough. Pre-heat the oven to 225-250 degrees celsius, grab an oven pan (Special utensil) and add a little bit of oil:
smallCIMG0471.jpg

The following part is a bit tricky/sticky, so the wife took the cam.
First, apply some flour to the workplace and to your hands:
smallCIMG0473.jpg

smallCIMG0475.jpg

Next, grab the dough, form a ball from the dough and apply it to the workplace:
smallCIMG0478.jpg

smallCIMG0479.jpg

smallCIMG0480.jpg

smallCIMG0481.jpg

Turn and knead the dough a little bit, then part it in two. you can also put the whole thing as one in the oven, or make several smaller buns:
smallCIMG0483.jpg

smallCIMG0485.jpg

smallCIMG0487.jpg

smallCIMG0488.jpg

Roll the pieces under your palms until you have two baguette-style ones. Put them into the oven pan:
smallCIMG0492.jpg

Next, apply some olive oil and some big-grained salt:
smallCIMG0496.jpg

smallCIMG0499.jpg

The oil is for the smoothening of the surface, the salt is for decoration purposes.

Put them into the oven:
smallCIMG0500.jpg

Now, the part you have been all waiting for: Sausage science 101!:lol

I bought the following sausages for you:
smallCIMG0460.jpg

from left to right:
big chunks raw sausage, fine ground raw sausage, pre-boiled fine sausage thuringian style, Nuremberger sausages. I will elaborate on the several styles of sausages in a later post. The one thing they have in common is that they all taste different, but good.

For a good BBQ result, puncture the sausages, about four times per side:
smallCIMG0508.jpg

The following pictures show you the BBQing process of the sausages (timeframe about 10 to 15 minutes in total, always have an eye on the sausages):
smallCIMG0509.jpg

smallCIMG0511.jpg

smallCIMG0512.jpg

smallCIMG0521.jpg

try to grill them from all sides to get the chrunchiest crust possible:
smallCIMG0517.jpg

Finish Line:
Get the bread out of the oven and serve:
smallCIMG0522.jpg

smallCIMG0524.jpg

German barbecue is characterised by the usage of a lot of different dips and sauces, here is a small selection of things possible:
smallCIMG0519.jpg

from left to right: HP Sauce, Dijon Mustard, Curry spice, Heinz 57 Steak Sauce and tomato ketchup, cocktail sauce and german medium mustard.

DONE!
Serve the sausages directly from the grill onto the plate, it is common that guests take their plat to the grill and get served there. Add some of the noodle salad, a piece of bread and sauces of choice and have a feast!

My wife chose a classic "Currywurst" dressing (ketchup and curry spice),
smallCIMG0525.jpg

Yours truly had a helping of medium mustard, Heinz 57 and cocktail sauce. I cut all the sausages in half for you to have a look of their insides:
smallCIMG0526.jpg

The only drink of choice to accompany German Style Barbecue would be a decent german beer.

The wife took this photo afterwards:
smallCIMG0493.jpg

and even the Weather Gods seemed satisfied, after all:
smallCIMG0513.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn!

I hope you enjoyed todays little cooking extravaganza, which was a tad bigger than usual.

Please give feedback, opinions and new recipes! I would approve.:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hooker said:
"Thai" pasta dish for the broke student

I think my digicam broke halfway through (dropped it :() so I had to take pictures with my cell. Colours are kinda shitty, looks really not appetizing at all in the pics :/

Ingredients
*snipped this and the following pictures*
Soya-sauce, ginger sauce, coconut milk, fish sauce
canned tuna, lime, garlic
spring onions, red chilli peppers

Chopping everything up. Piece of advice, take those seeds out of the chilli's they'll knock you out cold. Take the top of, and roll them like a cigar, all should fall out. That's 2 chillis, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 spring onions and a bit of parsley I had left.

Use a wok, take it to maximum heat with a bit of either olive of peanut oil. Just before it starts to smoke chuck the garlic and chillis in. Keep on stirring otherwise it'll burn. At this point your eyes will start to water and you will sneeze a lot due to the sharpness of the spices... I sure as hell did. Cool it down by pressing half a lemon in there. Add the spring onions and parsley and turn the heat down.

add a generous amount of ginger sauce to coat the spices, soy sauce and fish sauce for seasoning. Then add half a can of coconut milk. turn the heat down some more and let it reduce it. It should be like a creamy pasta sauce, that kind of consistancy

Add the canned tuna, don't stir too much as you'll break it up. Once the tuna is warm all through, it's done.

One piece of advice, watch out with those chillis. I thouroughly cleared all my sinuses and fear tomorrow morning for my wake-up shit :S

I have a killer desert still left, but not going to make it for another 2/3 hours

That is a creative stir-fry noodle dish. cooking with the wok is a fascinating experience. WORTHY CONTRIBUTOR!:lol
Btw, have you tried this dish with bami noodles or dedicated wok noodles? It would further improve the dish imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom