• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football Paypal League(s) - Season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
So, what do you guys think about the preseason so far? I think Peyton looked pretty good and I might consider him over Rivers for my QB/RB/K strategy

acksman

I think Running Backs are going to be a even greater premium this year than last year. I think that will be make or break for peoples seasons again this year.

Cloudy

Banned
I think Running Backs are going to be a even greater premium this year than last year. I think that will be make or break for peoples seasons again this year.

Even with a W/T flex and one less roster spot? I feel hoarding will be difficult this year

I think RBs will be devalued bigtime, you can still get a decent RB2 in the later rounds due to the mid/late rounds. I just don't see RBs being that huge going by VBD.

Peyton over Rivers? Sure go for it. :D

Puddles

Banned
RBs might not be make or break, but you'll still probably be fucked if you pick the equivalent of Jamaal Charles at #5 and lose him in week 2.

I actually took Charles in 3 different money leagues last year after he won me some decent cash the previous year. Horrible decision. I should have gone with Rice.

UberTag

RBs might not be make or break, but you'll still probably be fucked if you pick the equivalent of Jamaal Charles at #5 and lose him in week 2.

I actually took Charles in 3 different money leagues last year after he won me some decent cash the previous year. Horrible decision. I should have gone with Rice.
There was no way to predict Jamaal getting injured last season. The exact opposite could happen this season. Charles could flourish and Rice could get hurt Week 2. Just the nature of the fantasy gods.
Can't beat yourself up over those decisions. Just do your best to adjust and recover.

Puddles

Banned
There was no way to predict Jamaal getting injured last season. The exact opposite could happen this season. Charles could flourish and Rice could get hurt Week 2. Just the nature of the fantasy gods.
Can't beat yourself up over those decisions. Just do your best to adjust and recover.

I was in a 12 team league where I also had Charles. I was able to recover through waivers and a trade.

In No Quitters though, with 16 players, it was just impossible to find a RB. I remember when mr2xxx and I were coming down to the wire on who would get to claim Ryan Torian. :jnc

That's actually my biggest issue with 16 teamers. It is SO hard to recover from an injury to one of your top 3 guys, especially a RB or QB. You can usually scrape together a WR corps over the course of a few weeks, and TEs are a crapshoot.

Sinistar

And I'm in ! I'm on vacation atm so I havent checked the forums often. I will be back in time for the draft tho. Get ready guys!

UberTag

That's actually my biggest issue with 16 teamers. It is SO hard to recover from an injury to one of your top 3 guys, especially a RB or QB. You can usually scrape together a WR corps over the course of a few weeks, and TEs are a crapshoot.
Given the shorter benches this season I'm thinking it may be easier to recover from an injury than it has been previously.
Shallow benches mean it's going to be harder to justify having 2 QBs for "just in case" backup scenarios except for injury-prone players like Vick and Schaub.

Okay since we're closing in on 3 weeks to go until the 2012 NeoGAF Fantasy Football Paypal League Draft it's time to list who's who:

FPL-Defending Champs - kememsi. Defending champion. Not a true GAFfer, merely a GAF lurker. Possessed some of the most amazing @#$%&*$#&%ing luck of all time last year (WHO FUCKING PICKS MARK SANCHEZ 4th ROUND AND SHONN GREENE 2nd ROUND AND STILL BLOWS OUT THE LEAGUE?). Possibly a time-traveling ninja. Looking to unseat Megatron as the leader of the Decepticons.

Omaha Nighthawks - AlteredBeast. Repping the former Omaha UFL team, he looks to take the name farther than the real team ever went before.

TD's N' Beer - minx88. His no-nonsense knowledge of the FF game is matched only by his love of watching his players score touchdowns while drinking Duff Beer.

Dinner Out - Cloudy's cousin. Finished 3rd in 2011, also not a GAFfer. Often goes by the name of Dr. Sexy; is rumored to be a Leviathan in disguise.

Sinistar - Sinistar. Returned to the NeoGAF FFPL after a Blaine Gabbert-like rookie campaign, looks to improve off a last-place finish.

*Josh's Taco Cabana - Enron. A rookie to the NeoGAF FFPL, he likes to root for multiple baseball/football teams at the same time (HEATHEN!). Hopes to replicate FPL's performance as the second GAFfer to win the title in their rookie campaign.

*New Orleans Phoenix - Phoenix. Rookie #2. Apparently likes Huey from The Boondocks. Works as a Software Architect. Hopes to be as good constructing a winning Fantasy Football team as he is constructing a program in C++.

Long Island Broskis - UberTag. Partyboy. Loves to hit the Jersey club scene and spend dough on foreign hair gel. However don't take him lightly; his FF acumen is matched only by the amount of trashtalk he enjoys dishing.

Bail Kings (NeoGAF) - Crazymoogle. Canadian and noted Steelers fan. Also likes to rep a mascot from an overhyped JRPG. He's shrewd and tough on trades like Rothelisberger is tough on fat frat chicks in bathrooms.

Ember Island Players - GCQuinton. A big fan of the Fire Nation performance group, he his looking to win it all and continue his quest to help the new Avatar.

Good As Gould - rinker. Longtime Bears fan. Finished 2nd in the League in 2011. I wonder if he'll get a certain kicker this year?

I'm Doin' It Like Eli - The Frankman. After nearly being fired by ownership he hopes to unveil a new Draft strategy that'll pay off with a trip deep into the Second Season.

Puddles of Win - Puddles. Hard luck FF owner last year, he hopes to draft players who won't get trolled by NFL.com this year.

Hookers And Blow - Azwethinkweiz. Taking a new stance this year to the game after admitting last year to doing too much blow and not enough hookers. Vows to reverse the formula and make it to the FF Final Four.

Romo Wittenhispants - acksman. Silent, but deadly. He is hoping to break back into the playoffs after a late season collapse cost him a postseason bid last year.

Peyton's Creaky Neck - Cloudy. The Commish. Weird obsession with light-skinned black girls in Japanese animation. His Konex Curse even works in Fantasy Football, as at least six times last season he wrote a team off and they came back to win via Sunday Night/Monday Night games. Three times it was his team that won.

UberTag

Okay since we're closing in on 3 weeks to go until the 2012 NeoGAF Fantasy Football Paypal League Draft it's time to list who's who:

FPL-Defending Champs - kememsi. Defending champion. Not a GAFfer. Possessed some of the most amazing @#$%&*$#&%ing luck of all time. Possibly a time-traveling ninja. Looking to unseat Megatron as the leader of the Decepticons.
Thank goodness this isn't a keeper league. The last thing I want to see on draft day is kememsi draw the 1st overall pick again. We need to bring the money league championship trophy back to NeoGAF this year. I don't care who does it.

Long Island Broskis - UberTag. Partyboy. Loves to hit the Jersey club scene and spend dough on foreign hair gel. However don't take him lightly; his FF acumen is matched only by the amount of trashtalk he enjoys dishing.
I may consider a team name change closer to opening day. Will ponder my options once my roster is set.

I'm Doin' It Like Eli - The Frankman. After nearly being fired by ownership he hopes to new Draft strategy can pay off with a trip deep into the Second Season.
What is this new fabled Draft strategy you speak of? Apart from running a gauntlet of 14-team mock drafts that fail to take our unique league rules or size into consideration.

What is this new fabled Draft strategy you speak of? Apart from running a gauntlet of 14-team mock drafts that fail to take our unique league rules or size into consideration.
I'm mocking based on the League Rules, not to mention I only take positions 8-14. Everyone can draft well with Top 7 picks, the key is how well can you do with a low draft pick? Can you nab the guys you want in Rounds 4-8? Those are the guys that win you the League IMHO, and I've been scouring mocks to determine trends and conduct value analysis of certain players.

I'm also checking on how far certain people are rising and how worthless ADP is. Either Yahoo! isn't updating it or there truly are tons of morons out there.

Also regarding money., this was last year's split:
League Champion - FirstPlaceLoser ($345)
2nd - Good As Gould ($225)
3rd - Dinner Out ($150)
4th - Long Island Broskis ($75)
How about this:

Champion - 43.75% - $445
2nd - $300
3rd - $195
4th - $100

Again like last year, 2nd place prize >= 3rd + 4th

Cloudy

Banned
Peyton's Creaky Neck - Cloudy. The Commish. Weird obsession with light-skinned black girls in Japanese animation.

LMAO Gidget from Eureka 7 is awesome

PS: New Orleans Phoenix - is GAF's Phoenix

minx

Love the who's who list Frank. Love entertaining posts like this. Same with UberTags post game recaps last year.

UberTag

Love the who's who list Frank. Love entertaining posts like this. Same with UberTags post game recaps last year.
My big thing last year was the Suck For Luck team tracker in the NFL thread.

I'm trying to remember what I did in the fantasy realm apart from my usual biting commentary and trash talk (especially following my two victories over Frankman).

I am planning on a round-by-round draft recap & analysis post. Expecting some surprises as always. Curious to see who reaches for Robbie Gould prior to Round 13.

I have alot more free time this year (and a spare laptop :D) so expect a return of The NeoGAF Fantasy Football Paypal League OT!!!

Would be nice if I can find a dang graphic for it, the ones I used in the past are gone...

Cloudy

Banned
FPL-Defending Champs - kememsi. Defending champion. Not a GAFfer. Possessed some of the most amazing @#$%&*$#&%ing luck of all time. Possibly a time-traveling ninja. Looking to unseat Megatron as the leader of the Decepticons.

I'm pretty sure kememsi has posted in this thread

acksman

I will probably be in Shanghai week 1 and 2 so its around 1am for me when the Sunday noon games start.

This year will be fun trying to keep up. Hopefully sites won't be blocked and my VPN works.

Nah, just had to move from Vancouver to Montreal, find a new job, etc etc :jnc

I will probably be in Shanghai week 1 and 2 so its around 1am for me when the Sunday noon games start.

NFLGAF says I can buy weekly doses of the NFL's online streaming package, so I'm going for that. (Singapore)

Puddles

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to set up the Economy League tomorrow. A bunch of shit came up last week, or I'd have done it already.

Btw, I'll be drafting from Battambang, Cambodia.

Edit: I just renewed the Economy League. Past owners will be getting invites. Anyone who wasn't in last year who wants in this year can PM me, and I'll add you if there's a spot. The buy-in will be $10. 12 owners, so $120. Payout will be 80-30-10. Draft is tentatively set for Sep 1st at 4pm PST.

UberTag

Edit: I just renewed the Economy League. Past owners will be getting invites. Anyone who wasn't in last year who wants in this year can PM me, and I'll add you if there's a spot. The buy-in will be $10. 12 owners, so $120. Payout will be 80-30-10. Draft is tentatively set for Sep 1st at 4pm PST.
Didn't we do an auction draft format last year for the Economy League? Or am I getting confused with the Cat.gif league?

Puddles

Banned
Didn't we do an auction draft format last year for the Economy League? Or am I getting confused with the Cat.gif league?

Nah, we did a snaking draft. I'm cool with an auction if enough people want it, but what I'd really like to do is set the draft order ahead of time and allow people to trade draft picks.

I'm checking out the draft in the Shirtless FF League (which can be found here)...

Is it me or do I see only 3 good drafted team there? I'm no stranger to reaching for players, but YIKES. I'm not going to name names, but I'll assume this is the first draft for some of those guys.

UberTag

I'm checking out the draft in the Shirtless FF League (which can be found here)...

Is it me or do I see only 3 good drafted team there? I'm no stranger to reaching for players, but YIKES. I'm not going to name names, but I'll assume this is the first draft for some of those guys.
What? Kendall Hunter isn't a 5th round pick this year? I'd better move him down my draft board. ;)

Did they even qualify league rules ahead of time (i.e. sack penalty, return yards counting, PPR, whether TDs count for 4 or 6, etc.) or are they just deciding this stuff on the fly?

What? Kendall Hunter isn't a 5th round pick this year? I'd better move him down my draft board. ;)

Did they even qualify league rules ahead of time (i.e. sack penalty, return yards counting, PPR, whether TDs count for 4 or 6, etc.) or are they just deciding this stuff on the fly?
They did, it's right here.

Actually I am being unfair. I just saw some of the people behind the teams and more than a few of them are guys seem to be new to the NFL.

EDIT: Demaryrius Thomas in the SECOND FUCKING ROUND. Shonn Greene in the 3rd. My head hurts.

Don't Draft Favorites Early!

Whoops, just noticed this: Yahoo! Default Draft Rank Order hasn't changed in a month. For some reason it still shows Ryan Matthews as the 5th pick, that's something to note for you guys later. Might have to do your own rankings.

UberTag

Whoops, just noticed this: Yahoo! Default Draft Rank Order hasn't changed in a month. For some reason it still shows Ryan Matthews as the 5th pick, that's something to note for you guys later. Might have to do your own rankings.
I'd rather people continue to rely on Yahoo's rankings. In fact, I've been planning around that fact.
(I do think they'll adjust them at some point later in August based on historic precedent.)

I am participating in a LEGENDARY Draft. Horrible selections everywhere, Jimmy Graham got picked 9th overall. Another guy took Andrew Luck in the 3rd round. .. and then there's Allie.

Her draft, w/ draft order:
1st Round, 2nd pick - Eli Manning
2 - Jahvid Best
3 - Deangelo Williams
4 - Kenny Britt
5 - CJ Spiller
6 - Jason Witten
7 - Torrey Smith
8 - Mason Crosby
9 - Mike Williams
10 - Detroit D
11 - Matt Schaub
12 - Davone Bess
13 - Reuben Randle
14 - Heath Miller
15 - Jason Hanson

Fuck this. I'm done Mock Drafting for the day.

UberTag

I am participating in a LEGENDARY Draft. Horrible selections everywhere, Jimmy Graham got picked 9th overall. Another guy took Andrew Luck in the 3rd round. Another drafter picked this team w/ draft order:

Fuck this. I'm done drafting for the day.
I think you're holding mock drafters to an unrealistic standard of quality.
Instead of getting unnecessarily frustrated, you should spend time contributing to discussion over in the Footballguys.com Forums.

I think you're holding mock drafters to an unrealistic standard of quality.
Instead of getting unnecessarily frustrated, you should spend time contributing to discussion over in the Footballguys.com Forums.
I just can't stand it. I've been mocking on two different sites for two weeks, and I wasn't seeing this level of insanity until preseason started. Now I'm reading on boards people are trying to throw mocks intentionally for some mysterious reason, and I PRAY that's the case here.

UberTag

I just can't stand it. I've been mocking on two different sites for two weeks, and I wasn't seeing this level of insanity until preseason started. Now I'm reading on boards people are trying to throw mocks intentionally for some mysterious reason, and I PRAY that's the case here.
Sensible explanation for me is that the casuals are mock drafting now whereas they weren't before. Better get used to more people drafting kickers in the 8th round, reaching for Randy Moss in the 5th because he's a recognizable name that used to be amazing and drafting Chad Johnson even though he's already been cut from the Dolphins.

Puddles

Banned
NeoGAF Economy League is now accepting applicants.

I had the draft date set to September 1st, but I've been informed that won't work, so I'm thinking it'll be a weeknight, maybe Thursday August 30th, or perhaps Monday September 3rd.

It's a $10 buy-in. PM me if you want in, and I'll send you the league id and password.

30 Best Fantasy Football Team Names suggested to Matthew Berry of ESPN (comments below are from Berry, not me)

1. Brady Gaga (@andeeezy_)
2. The Book of Eli (@ben5trode)
3. Gronk If You're Horny (@chief_badarasz)
4. Weeden Start the Fire (@travis_B-evans)
5. Belicheck Yourself Before You Rex Yourself (@beardaddy)
6. Wilfork for Food (@J_Breck)
7. The World is your Royster / A Mike Goodson Production (@panpipeninja)
8. Pete Caroll-ine (Bum Bum Bum) (@allennorth)
9. My Wife Doesn't Know About This Team So Please Don't Tell Her (@deltakoz)
10. Living on a Pryor (@_chris_barnes_)
11. Moons Over My Tamme / FunkyColdFleener (codydow82)
12. McKayla's Not Impressed (@bballcoachd)
13. Luck be a Brady Tonight (@CVSE7EN)
14. Based on Push by Sapphire (@dontwikewotso)
15. You're in the 06010 (@roxybear17) -- so sue me, this one's for me.
16. Good Is the New Mediocre (@stan76hall) -- as is this one.
17. Reverse Cowgirl (@honda05)
18. Tebow Scared Me Shirtless (@thetory)
19. In the Garden of Weeden (@kpkline1605)
20. Gronky Punch (@Alex_J_Page)
21. Learning From My Vickstakes (@guytightpants) -- I may take this one for myself
22. Hakeema Matata (@TiffAPaino)
23. "RG3PO" and "ABC: Easy as RG3" (@HiggySmalls15)
24. Nancy Screw and the Party Boys (@MaizeCraze)
25. Henne Badger Don't Care (@markrounds5)
26. Teenage Newton Ninja Turtles (@Frankie_Soprano)
27. That's What She Bid (@rjmaxa)
28. Whoa Whoa Whoa, Stop the Gronk (@jasonandrewz) -- for us Stern fans.
29. Sprole'n With The Homies (@mike_cohn)
30. Off in a Corner (@cranesofdale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom