• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2 |OT| - The Lost LEGO World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

What do you have to lose by joining in besides the cost of the set? You get to play with Lego again, and you get to flex your creativity by making your own model. You also get to potentially learn lots of new and cool building techniques by seeing what others come up with. There really is no downside to it at all except for you have to spend less than $20 to buy the set.

Join the party!

You've convinced me, now I just need to get a hold of a set.

MisterNoisy

In future I'm going to suggest that once a new set is preliminarily decided upon that there be a quick "any objections" thrown up.

It kinda sucks to be excluded because o set unavailability. I would say only those that are genuinely interested would put a serious objection.

Where are you located that the kit isn't available?

mrkgoo

I thought this was voted on, and it is a generally available set which is why it was chosen.

Anyways, I was taking pics of my first attempt a bit ago and dropped the model on the kitchen floor. Pieces went EVERYWHERE. I got the model back together, but am missing one 2x2 tan plate and the 1x2 white cheese slope. :( So if anyone sees two 1x1 white cheese slopes in my pics, it is me compensating for the lost piece.

EDIT: FOUND IT! I have no idea how it would up on the dining room table. It must have bounced quite a bit.

Yeah I know it's voted on. But just suggesting there be a chance to 'appeal' from those that are genuinely interested in participating. It's no big deal, and tha set looks cool.

I'm in new Zealand.

MisterNoisy

Couldn't resist:

BEETLE ATTACK!

CKBKT.jpg

BGxJr.jpg

Monster Hunters to the rescue!

XZL97.jpg

MisterNoisy

what kind of camera do you have MisterNoisy? Great looking pics.

Thanks! I'm shooting with a Pentax k-X with the 18-55 kit lens. The backdrop is a couple of pieces of paper perched on top of one of my speakers directly under a 3-way CFL set to max, which casts fairly tungsten-ish yellow light.

Yeah I know it's voted on. But just suggesting there be a chance to 'appeal' from those that are genuinely interested in participating. It's no big deal, and tha set looks cool.

I'm in new Zealand.

Anyone know how much shipping would be from the US? I would be willing to ship to you, if it is not too expensive.

mrkgoo

Hey guys, yeah I did see the various options, but the set is kinda expensive from them so I'd rather just get it from a store. Ne'er bought direct from Lego so don't know what that would be like.

Don't sweat it, I can sit this one out. No big deal! I got tons of stuff to do anyway Thanks for thinking about it though. Have fun! :)

am i missing something?
its on the LEGO NZ site for 30NZD, which is roughly 20€ so not excessively more expensive than here?! definitely cheaper than the 80NZD you quoted earlier.

mrkgoo

am i missing something?
its on the LEGO NZ site for 30NZD, which is roughly 20€ so not excessively more expensive than here?! definitely cheaper than the 80NZD you quoted earlier.

Like I said, never shopped from Lego NZ store before. I don't know where they ship from. Is it local?

Thanks though. The previous $80 was from Fishpond.co.nz, which I assume is safe, it's a major retailer, but they probably work with a 3rd party retailer to get import items. ALso, it DOES exist for $41.99 fishpond. Not sure what shipping will cost from there.

edit:

Checked lego.com again:

Code:
*Please note that all goods are shipped from Europe.

Order Value
(in New Zealand Dollars)	Standard	Express
NZD 0.00 - NZD 25.00	NZD 40.00	NZD 70.00
NZD 25.01 - NZD 100.00	NZD 50.00	NZD 75.00

SO it will cost NZ$29 to buy it, and NZ$50 to ship, from official lego.com.

They don't have a local store.

Like I said, no big deal. I can sit it out!

Mikeside

Like I said, never shopped from Lego NZ store before. I don't know where they ship from. Is it local?

Thanks though. The previous $80 was from Fishpond.co.nz, which I assume is safe, it's a major retailer, but they probably work with a 3rd party retailer to get import items. ALso, it DOES exist for $41.99 fishpond. Not sure what shipping will cost from there.

edit:

Checked lego.com again:

Code:
*Please note that all goods are shipped from Europe.

Order Value
(in New Zealand Dollars)	Standard	Express
NZD 0.00 - NZD 25.00	NZD 40.00	NZD 70.00
NZD 25.01 - NZD 100.00	NZD 50.00	NZD 75.00

SO it will cost NZ$29 to buy it, and NZ$50 to ship, from official lego.com.

They don't have a local store.

Like I said, no big deal. I can sit it out!

That is such bullshit - I'm sick of companies inflating delivery costs like this.

mrkgoo

That is such bullshit - I'm sick of companies inflating delivery costs like this.

Well it is, literally, half way around the world.

When I lived in US, I oft posted stuff home for US$50.

Obviously Lego is a lot lighter, but the price is based on a price range up to NZ$100 sets.

Yeah, it sucks, but I'm a NZer. I'm used to being ripped off!

:p

:(

edit: Just checked Amazon - Bah, they don't ship Lego to NZ.

Wubby

For those in Japan who are interested I found it at Toys R Us. List price is ¥2000 ($25~) but it's on sale till the 9th for ¥1699!

Eklipsis

ugh!......... now I cant decide which to use as my official! I have 2 I think are good and 2 that are decent. But I am amazed how much fun and time I can spend on a small set. Makes me feel like a kid again haha

Shouldn't have looked at any of the other entries. My mind seems to think in terms of multi-legged organisms.

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/FyP6m.jpg?1[/IMG]

I have one creepy crawly idea I want to make, but dont want to blend in with the others. But the set does lend itself to that quite well.

Made one living creature, and just finished a vehicle using the parts. Gotta go through a few more ideas before posting a final submission.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
haha I made almost that exact same thing
Ditto to that- i've got him on my desk atm! :(

We had lots of spaceships last time too, but they're all different eitherway. If everyone made a house there would be differences and no two exactly the same I think.

Eklipsis

Well I guess this is my OFFICIAL ENTRY....

My AT-ST Walker

031.jpg

0272.jpg

Modified a little from the original one I had made to fit a minifig

036.jpg

Fun pic

033.jpg

nny

DSC07946.jpg

"Oh, hi, didn't see you there; I'm Robo-Mozart and, now that you're here, I would like to show you my new acquisition, a Grand Piano."

DSC07945.jpg

DSC07938.jpg

DSC07940.jpg

DSC07930.jpg

"Well, I believe now is time to rock, so see you later!"

DSC07943.jpg

Remaining pieces:

DSC07956.jpg

MisterNoisy

"Oh, hi, didn't see you there; I'm Robo-Mozart and, now that you're here, I would like to show you my new acquisition, a Grand Piano."

(pics snipped)

Ha! Super cool, and I definitely didn't expect anything like that from this set/contest. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
received my set from amazon, but I have to give my daughter first crack at building the T-rex before I can get my hands on it.

Mikeside

I found this set really difficult, but here's what I came up with:

It's a VTOL plane with 2 adjustable engines at the rear and one on the adjustable nose-cone, complete with retractable front gear.

All the other stuff so far has been fantastic - well done guys!

Kleevah

Meh, I took a sweep trying to locate the set earlier today but no die. Is it in the process of being phased out or something, since others seems to have problems finding it too? I still have some smaller stores I can check out next week though, so I might get lucky, but otherwise I'll just have to sit this one out... :\

Meh, I took a sweep trying to locate the set earlier today but no die. Is it in the process of being phased out or something, since others seems to have problems finding it too? I still have some smaller stores I can check out next week though, so I might get lucky, but otherwise I'll just have to sit this one out... :\

Na, it's a set from 2012.

I too am surprised at the fact that many are having a hard time tracking down the set. It seems to be easily available for many, and insanely scarce for others. Last contest it was fairly easy to find for everyone.

The set is found in many uncommon places as well. I see this set at bookstores and grocery stores quite a bit. The smaller size of it makes it a bit easier for random places to stock.

Hope everyone tracks one down soon. Or maybe extend the deadline a week or so if not enough people join?

Anyways, I will most likely pick up a prize to give away again for this contest. And I think I have made what I want my official entry to be. Will post pics tomorrow.

I too am surprised at the fact that many are having a hard time tracking down the set. It seems to be easily available for many, and insanely scarce for others. Last contest it was fairly easy to find for everyone.

The set is found in many uncommon places as well. I see this set at bookstores and grocery stores quite a bit. The smaller size of it makes it a bit easier for random places to stock.

Hope everyone tracks one down soon. Or maybe extend the deadline a week or so if not enough people join?

Anyways, I will most likely pick up a prize to give away again for this contest. And I think I have made what I want my official entry to be. Will post pics tomorrow.

Yea that might be an idea.
But I'm surprised too by the scarcity of the set, not what we had anticipated..

In before someone steals my idea :p

The sun is low in the little farming town of bedford falls.
The kachanski ranch lies quiet with their large barn, tractor, corn silo and even the combine harvester lies dormant.

But what horrors await this sleepy little community?
It's a large bug-eyed monster come to destroy us all!

Milamber

The kachanski ranch lies quiet with their large barn, tractor, corn silo and even the combine harvester lies dormant.
But what horrors await this sleepy little community?
It's a large bug-eyed monster come to destroy us all!
ヽ(`Д´)ノ ┻━┻

Good Lord it is going to be hard to vote this time! I really enjoy every single entry so far for almost entirely differnt reasons.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Didn't enjoy the part selection as much as last month's but excited to be on board all the same and seeing everyone else do fun stuff. I'm not really good with thinking about hinges, so this turned out okay I think!

looks like a scorpion to me, very nice.
but I agree this is a very different set from the previous one.
but some of the entries are spectacular already :)

nny

Oops. I noticed I forgot a "remaining pieces" pic; I'll add it later!

(oh, and my entry is missing from the list - post 78)

Lovely, great job!

After making a sweet dragon and an airplane with the set, I had an epiphany while driving home from work late Saturday night. I was trying to think of different things to use the cylindrical joint pieces for. I had thought about gun turrets or engines, but it dawned on me how to combine them all together to make something a bit out of left field.

Microscope, complete with slide to view.

The head is adjustable. It pivots where it meets the body, and slightly in the middle to get a different angle.

Looking down the barrel.

Looking up the barrel.

The leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom