• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded my PC, and I was really hoping I wouldn't have to buy any next-gen console for at least a few years yet.

But here we are.

Emitan

SEGA clearly didn't have any interest in publishing this game in the same way that Studio Liverpool clearly didn't want to develop games anymore.

EVOL 100%

This. 1000x This

No one has a problem with Bayonetta 2 existing, but the fact that it's being released on a divisive console makes this situation shitty for Bayonetta 1 fans not interested in Wii-U.

Why is this idea so hard to understand? Buying a console for one specific game is never wise, there will be other decent games on Wii-U, but I'm not interested in any of those games.

I understand why you're upset.

You could always buy a Wii U and Bayonetta used, and sell it again and lose almost no money though.

So is this one of those things where Nintendo is publishing it in Japan, like square-enix does call of duty and Sony did the game I'm currently forgetting. Or is this Nintendo publishing it everywhere.

Big news considering there were lots of fans here. I'm not one of them but big news none the less.

Sentenza

lol at all the people confused that a Nintendo published title is Wii U exclusive.
I don't think anyone is finding it confusing.
Someone, on the other hand, will find it disappointing, because they love the first game and they weren't planning to purchase a Wii U.

Yeah, of course, Nintendo "revived" it, but that hardly matters for these people.
If you were going to tell me that Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be a PS4 exclusive I wouldn't say "Oh, thank God Sony revived it", I would say "What the fuck, why a PC classic isn't coming on PC? I'm mad right now".

It really doesn't strike me as a hard concept to grasp.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No date attached to this yet is there? Maybe this console will bomba and a price-drop before I'm forced to buy it.

This is what I get for idly mentioning "a third party exclusive that could happen and force my hand". This is pretty much the fucking definition. I don't think GAF understands how much I am freaking out. I took twice as long on an assignment because my shit is loco. "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND CHIEF, BAYONETTA 2. FOR THAT EXPENSIVE NEW THING I DIDN'T WANT. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

This. 1000x This

No one has a problem with Bayonetta 2 existing, but the fact that it's being released on a divisive console makes this situation shitty for Bayonetta 1 fans not interested in Wii-U.

Why is this idea so hard to understand? Buying a console for one specific game is never wise, there will be other decent games on Wii-U, but I'm not interested in any of those games.

I felt the same way when Microsoft bought Bungie and announced that Halo, a game I had been super-hyped about for since being unveiled as more of a large-scale tactical shooter, was going to be an XBOX exclusive. I lucked out in the end, I suppose, when it turned out the game went in a direction I wasn't particularly fond of, exclusive or not.

In short: Deal with it.

FoneBone

Is this a similar scenario to this?

834346133.jpg
1252546957-Ninja_Gaiden_Sigma_2.jpg

I very much doubt that MS actually funded NG2's development, though.

Why the fuck are you lying in his face? Seriously, what the fuck do you think? Here's your original post:

Where exactly do you get the courage to claim you did NOT call it a button masher? Are you really such an idiot or do you just think the person you're replying to is one? Seriously, wtf? Jesus Christ, why? Do people enjoy making asses of themselves? Or do you just hope to confuse the person you're replying to? What. The. Fuck.

Are you alright?

Played a bit of the first and found it to be a button masher, although you could do far more complex combos and moves but it didn't feel necessary, a lot like DMC4.

I didn't call it an outright button masher. I played a demo of Bayonetta but all of DMC4 on PC. If you wanna get S rank on all the levels it requires skill and knowledge of all the combos and moves but if you just wanna beat the game you can button mash your way through it easily because it doesn't require you to know how to do everything.

Curufinwe

This. 1000x This

Sure, but it really seems like there would be no Bayonetta 2 at all if not for Nintendo.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wii U went from "when it's cheap at the end of the generation maybe but probably not even that" to "day one" for me with this. Whatever Nintendo had planned when they decided to fund this, worked. I can't believe there are people complaining about this being exclusive. Isn't it pretty well known that it was being worked on and then cancelled? Nintendo should be praised for having the sense to save this game, when no other publisher did.

Well, I guess I'm lying that I can't believe that people are complaining, because I always get the feeling that a lot of people here aren't really interested in games (ie, they are non-gamers) even though they desperately pretend to be when I read threads most of the time, but it's sad to see that confirmed so blatantly. :(

I didn't call it an outright button masher. I played a demo of Bayonetta but all of DMC4 on PC. If you wanna get S rank on all the levels it requires skill and knowledge of all the combos and moves but if you just wanna beat the game you can button mash your way through it easily because it doesn't require you to know how to do everything.
lol.

"i just wanna see the ending!! i'll just button mash my way through!!"

You are the type that gets played by games, not the other way around.

MormaPope

Banned
Again, it was either this or nothing. Bayonetta 2 on the 360/PS3 was cancelled because not enough people bought it. This is a second chance for the series.

I'm not dismissing that fact nor do I want Bayonetta 2 not to exist.

The situation itself just isn't desirable for some Bayonetta 1 fans, keyword is desirable.

mclem

How can you be sure about that?

Published by Nintendo means *funded* by Nintendo. They paid for development, they own the results of that development... meaning that they are likely to own the rights to the code that makes up the game.

I suspect it's the case that Sega would still own the rights to the character and the IP in general, but the specific rights to the *game* "Bayonetta 2" are owned by Nintendo.

(It's not impossible for Nintendo to have relinquished those rights in their contract, admittedly, but it strikes me as extremely unlikely.)

I guess I'd be shocked if this didn't end up on other platforms in some guise at some point next generation. Still, I won't be buying a WiiU so as a Bayonetta fan it will suck if I turn out to be wrong. I'm sure Nintendo fans and future WiiU owners are happy as hell and feeling pretty cocky, though.

This. 1000x This

Bayonetta fans are fans of Bayonetta.

ezekial45

Banned

The situation itself just isn't desirable for some Bayonetta 1 fans, keyword is desirable.

That's just the way it is. The desirable situation is no longer an option. I don't know what else to tell you.

Well, I guess I'm lying that I can't believe that people are complaining, because I always get the feeling that a lot of people here aren't really interested in games (ie, they are non-gamers) even though they desperately pretend to be when I read threads most of the time, but it's sad to see that confirmed so blatantly. :(

91rWL.jpg

Monocle

Are you alright?

So I guess you didn't meet these guys.

hAQXW.jpg

That speaks volumes.

Duffyside

Banned
Again, it was either this or nothing. Bayonetta 2 on the 360/PS3 was cancelled because not enough people bought it. This is a second chance for the series.

Do we actually know it was canceled? Wasn't that just a rumor? A rumor that could have stemmed from the PS360 versions being canned, and someone jumping to conclusions?

And couldn't this be a timed exclusive?

Azure J

This announcement was the one reason I wish I wasn't at Nintendo World watching the livestream. I can only imagine what happened on GAF now...

That being said:

THE QUEEN IS ALIVE, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN

sleepykyo

It is, but this isn't exactly the 'rule' when it comes to publishing. Picking up a cancelled game from your peers systems, and publishing it, while the original publisher retains franchise ownership. This is far from the norm.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is the only example I can think of where a first party published an IP owned by another publisher. There was another one by MS, which was also ported to PS3, but I can't remember what it was, I think that one was only published by MS outside of Japan though.

What about Fatal Frame 4?

apana

This. 1000x This

Wii U is a uniter not a divider.

MormaPope

Banned
I felt the same way when Microsoft bought Bungie and announced that Halo, a game I had been super-hyped about for since being unveiled as more of a large-scale tactical shooter, was going to be an XBOX exclusive. I lucked out in the end, I suppose, when it turned out the game went in a direction I wasn't particularly fond of, exclusive or not.

In short: Deal with it.

This really doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

And funny attempt at trying to be badass with "Deal with it."

Umm, yeah? The way I'll deal with it is to miss out on Bayonetta 2 because I don't want a Wii-U. The situation is insanely easy to deal with.

That's just the way it is. The desirable situation is no longer an option. I don't know what else to tell you.

You don't really need to say anything, I'm not throwing a tantrum over not possibly getting Bayonetta 2, I was just offering a different view on the situation.

The Iwata Asks for this should be rather interesting. Also seems like Nintendo can't win: core gamers say there's not enough games tailored to their interests on the system, and they're not interested in buying. Nintendo announces a core, desired game. Same people who complained about the lack of those kind of games get angry for having to buy the system to play it. Makes no sense.

Just to preface: I'm not trying to counter you specifically, but more these sentiments. On a scale of things, I think this situation is perfectly desirable. Not desirable would be something awful like an iOS/Android sequel, and/or f2p, either of which may have well been the same thing as no sequel to Bayo 1.

This really doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

And funny attempt at trying to be badass with "Deal with it."

Umm, yeah? The way I'll deal with it is to miss out on Bayonetta 2 because I don't want a Wii-U. The situation is insanely easy to deal with.

This thread is clear proof that for some it certainly isn't easy to deal with. As far as I'm concerned, you are either a fan of the game or you aren't. Platforms change all the time, and whining about that won't change the fact that you are getting a game that was previously never coming out, and all that's asked is you play it on a newer platform, instead of being left with nothing but wondering over a dead franchise.

lol.

"i just wanna see the ending!! i'll just button mash my way through!!"

You are the type that gets played by games, not the other way around.
If the game is designed to be easy enough to play it like that, I don't feel it's necessary to go out of my way to learn everything, which was my point. Getting an S rank on all levels doesn't do anything for me. They should've made the game that hard in the first place. I don't why people are having heart attacks over that.

Margalis

Banned
Published by Nintendo means *funded* by Nintendo. They paid for development, they own the results of that development... meaning that they are likely to own the rights to the code that makes up the game.

This is not really accurate.

DQIX was published by Nintendo in the US, but was funded by S-E. Nintendo only funded the publishing part, not the development of the game.

Infinite

This. 1000x This

That's a silly point. Bayonetta fans should be willing to play Bayonetta.

jmls1121

Banned
This thread reminds me of the thread where it was announced Final Fantasy was going multiplat, and the morons proclaimed that they woild never play FF games again.

Some of you need to grow the fuck up.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got news for the "WiiU exclusive" whiners:

Platinum Games doesn't owe you shit.

If you don't want to buy a WiiU to play it, then don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom