• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

cj_iwakura

I think whenever you play DS2, you'll realize 1's story is pretty special. It has a lot of elements I enjoy: Rasputin, Saya, the setting(very fresh), the mystery,
AND THEN SUDDENLY MESSIANS
,etc.

SMT1 took me 30 hours or so.

Herla

The SFC version makes my head hurt, all those monochromatic walls...then again, I've only watched videos of it.

Seeing Aleph's polygonal model in Imagine (it's a costume you have to buy with real money...yeah.) made me crave for a smt1+2 remake so much.

Jucksalbe

Banned
qYyOU.png
r1Gyp.png

Okay, now that we're done with the prologue, it's time to get to the main portion of the story. There are a lot of plot points just mentioned on the side in this episode, so this will be the biggest update yet. I'm still confused about most of the major plot points, that's why there will be a lot of questions and speculation. There also seem to be a lot of references to older SMT games, but since I finished so few of them, I probably missed most of those. Don't be mad if I don't recognize them. Also, since almost every sentence in most of the upcoming dialogues will be important, there will be large sets of screenshots.
Are you ready? Let's go!

TeoVm.png
EpGHQ.png
mbsqH.png

The Soulless God was brought done in the last chapter. You can still see him in the background.

lcAFy.png
Agwev.png
B6zIP.png

But that doesn't mean there can't be another one! Here we finally meet (possessed) Kaya again.

nTzuN.png
sWssJ.png

xNBwD.png
KeOR9.png

She acknowledges our victory....in this time period, but that doesn't mean there won't be other chances. In other time periods. I called her being a time traveler back in episode 6 (okay, it was a bit obvious then...). Glad I was right. I will get back to that specific scene of episode 6 later.
She also admits that her goal was to alter history. Not much more on why, but this at least means that she most likely comes from the future (not Kaya, the entity possessing her).
Something I didn't completely understand: Why does she have the Soulless God and what part exactly is the Soulless God? Also, why go through all the trouble reviving the Soulless God in this era, if she seemingly has another copy anyway.
Wait, I just remembered something. She actually disappeared in chapter 6 along with the EL 200 and was never mentioned again. Was this EL 200 really used for the satellite in the present or was that for some other time period?

77TgU.png
JaUQU.png

Back to the real problem: We have to find a way to follow her!

ebI0Z.png
svfk4.png

pg7zj.png
DZnQj.png

Look closely. In the last two screenshots it's Gouto talking. He suggests using the Amatsu Kanagi we got in chapter 9. So that episode wasn't just a filler after all!

YUv7z.png
458jk.png
MaT9B.png

But first we need to recharge it. For that we need the power of friendship! This is so clichéd. Oh well, let's get it over with.

R9NrM.png
eB5xy.png
OnraY.png

Found them all. Noone really has an idea what's going, but they believe in us anyway.

23ce3.png
dw6XT.png

We need to get back to the bridge to perform the ritual. Now where will we end up?

Qqqbq.png

It's the Akarana Corridor. Let's find out what the Akarana Corridor actually is!

fh4zN.png
Eafa3.png
sUb61.png

Basically it's a highway for time travelers. This seems to be some kind of normal travel option in the future, so we find a lot of other "people" here. And there's a lot of information in those conversations. I kinda rushed through, so I probably missed some of it. Looking back, it makes me kinda sad, most stuff here is very interesting. That's why we look at all the important conversations in detail for most of the rest of this post.

fR6Ev.png
uCg5e.png

So basically there are two types of people here: Tourists and people that are lost. However you can just get here by accident.

OTP02.png
CY9te.png
MFsL6.png

Along the way we find these hourglass-like devices. They recall memories and in Raidou's case that means memories of the past boss fights. In other words, we have to repeat all past boss fights (except the one against Munakata) within this dungeon, Mega Man style. This was one of those moments when I wanted to punch the developers. I really hate when games do that.

Qf0Je.png
5ckBU.png
TiOfn.png

Now this is important. Time travelers cannot take their bodies with them (except us, we're special, because we used the ritual). I guess this is why Mister Unknown had to possess Kaya to actually do something. This also opens speculation about who Gouto actually is, as far as I know the game never explicitly says it. But right before he gets on the rocket in episode 11, he says that he watched over every Raidou Kuzunoha since the second. So it's very probable that he's actually Raidou Kuzunoha the first. We will actually hear about Raidou I. a little bit more later on.
For non-native speakers the language in this dungeon gets a bit hard to understand. Can anyone tell me what exactly "to ice any roughage of official history" means in simpler words?

lepNt.png

Huh? Is this about this guy or is this some person you should know from another SMT game?

vEZkY.png
Zi3RC.png

Next boss fight: It's the Red Cape from episode 2.

faifL.png
gU4tN.png

Another boss fight: This time it's Rasputin from episode 4.

2zLR5.png

It's reassuring to know that you can actually leave this dungeon if you wish. The fights here are not very easy and the encounter rate is extremly high.

H0XUz.png
eRrE9.png
Ka35l.png

This seems very important. The game plays in the time period "Taisho 20". Now I guess most people (like me) would brush that aside. Who really knows anything about Japanese history? In reality the Taisho period only lasted 15 years, so there shouldn't be a "Taisho 20". Kaya even mentioned this in episode 6:

0pER2.png

So basically the time period we live in, is considered an anomaly. It shouldn't even exist. I'm not sure if the game gives any hint about why this anomaly even happened. Anyone got more info on that?
This situation is also the trigger for another plot point:

57ovH.png
NTW1m.png
XY73D.png

....he's a terminator!
Called it!

26dWh.png
KFkJQ.png

Boss fight: The two guys from episode 5.

FIRxw.png
IyfWY.png
mh1Cq.png

This is strange (and kinda hard to understand). He's obviously talking about the first Raidou. But if I understand this right, this means that all Raidous are not future relatives of the first Raidou but past relatives whose DNA he manipulated. This also means the first Raidou (and therefore Gouto) is from the future.

8AuZf.png

Ha! Now this I've seen before:

ji1Hf.png

3l9Cb.png
EECHd.png

There are also puzzles in this dungeon. Basically you have to exit the screen in the given directions and you have to do it with your demon (in "Solo" mode).

wgJFD.png
10US8.png

Another boss: Hitokotonusi from episode 7.

RDx7a.png
735jD.png

Another puzzle. Basically it's the same thing. Only this time you should only use the "Solo" mode for the very last direction.

GuqNJ.png
YiTsy.png
0EiUS.png

The last hourglass. And here I noticed something actually happens when you "touch" it before you destroy it. Ahhh...all the scenes I missed *sob*. The description here sounds a lot like Nocturne. The boss fight is Mishaguji from episode 8.

L7nyL.png
c5zt4.png

B0jYD.png
sx9Z4.png
qxrHg.png

So, is this about Gouto, too? He also was a Templar? Wasn't it already complicated enough?

4T86d.png
goWpf.png
25EYz.png

The final stretch. Here we meet the "dog" from episode 2(!) again. He wants to know about our dream we told him about. Phew. Good thing, I have this all posted in this thread:

Zdr2k.png

jbAiJ.png

If you get it right, you get teleported to a little bonus room with a lot of incenses and an ultra high encounter rate (for grinding, I guess). Also, you can heal here. Since it's right before the end anyway, there's no reason to care about the ridiculous fee anymore.

Pg4aL.png

It's nice that they ask you.

YLtlU.png
expE2.png
Ldh95.png

Unlike Rasputin she doesn't seem to care about the time period between Taisho 15 and Taisho 20. It's only about what would happen from now on.

EmtUl.png
Are7W.png
ZMPqy.png

Wait, is this referencing something specific?

ZMPqy.png
7TIEg.png
vznCe.png

So she was banished from her own time? Maybe the Raidou that belonged to the Templars they talked about before was actually her? Wait, she's a Raidou? I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. Let's fix that.

2RJw9.png
Cll7a.png

So, we're equal in regard to the Raidou title? That would suggest she's not the first Raidou. Okay, then it really has to be Gouto.

Boss fight, phase 1:

qcSX4.png

Basically, she runs around attacking everyone with her sword. But she is pretty fast, if you're not careful she can finish off your demon (and you) in a few seconds. Just use a demon that constantly heals and hit her with the sword until she gives up.

MPu5j.png
zDBF3.png

Bring it on!

w5KsV.png
51Vn4.png

tyD4u.png
M2oCh.png
fuBPn.png

Okay, now we fight a huge battleship. A sword should do the trick, right? What's up with that last scene by the way? She looks like a giant Kawashima.

Boss fight, phase 2:
hUxwb.png
GjuzR.png
rBTn4.png

This phase has two different......phases. First you have to beat normal demons while the ship fires its cannons at you. Just make sure you don't stand next to your demon. Block whenever you see or hear the cannon fire. When you kill six demons the ship will come closer and you can attack it directly (with your sword.....). You have to do all that three times.

facEI.png
yqOZB.png
I2HNz.png

It transforms again. Half of the battle is done now.

Boss fight, phase 3:

gZK5i.png
YKmr0.png

Okay, the most important thing first. At this point the battle theme change to this awesome track!
You know have to attack the two hands. You can't reach the body for now.

P98n1.png
LUIU0.png

I recommend using a Shouten for this phase. He is extremely strong and has a "Null Physical" special attack (if you leveled him up once) which is very useful because the enemy's strongest attack is a physical attack. Feels good to just ignore it. This is actually the easiest phase of the whole fight.

RWS9L.png

Haha, take that! And of course, it's not over yet, here comes

Boss fight, phase 4:

2iDn2.png

Now you can attack the body. Pound him as much as you can until he starts to use his special attack. When he does, return your demon immediately and run away. Wait until the those lava fields (or whatever) on the floor disappear and then summon your demon and start attacking again. I didn't really find an especially useful demon here, but a combination of Shouten and occasionally another demon to heal should do the trick. This is the final phase, so no reason to be shy with your items.

PFvP1.png
CYE4n.png
ulKX0.png

The god is defeated and Raidou (whatever his number is) is separated from Kaya. The ending:

pRECC.png
o0IE8.png
XNuZL.png

rMLzb.png
8jlEb.png
2KPmt.png

k8138.png

NModL.png
1ynS8.png

RIGew.png
MCD9E.png
1iM3z.png

Gouto is now a crow.

OplUj.png

Took me 26 hours in total. But there's some time where I just left the game running (at least 1,5 hours in this chapter alone), so the actual playtime should be closer to 20 hours.

cj_iwakura

Okay, so I'll break it down a bit more specifically for you.

SMT1&2 spoilers.

Kaya's possessor is a Messian from the era of SMT2. He came back to prevent the Great Destruction from SMT1; when the Messian God had Thor cause a nuclear war, which basically obliterated civilization.

The Center is the Messian-run government from SMT2.

To stop the Great Destruction, he intends to change the past; something that obviously doesn't sit well with Raidou.

One more thing:

The Templar refers to Kaya's possessor, not Gotou. He's a Messian Templar in the future era.

Also, that 'ice' bit is slang. It means to stop people from messing with the flow of time.

And I killed that boss on Devil Mode.

I've seen Hell.

Did you fight the optional boss,
Beelzebub?

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm surprised the game actually fits in with the other games. I would have thought this was a spinoff that wouldn't have any relation at all.

And I killed that boss on Devil Mode.

I've seen Hell.

I saw your post on GameFAQs. Looking at what that mode changes, I can't see myself doing that. The normal game isn't even very hard, but that modifiers for Devil Mode make it sound close to impossible.
For anyone who doesn't know:

• Demons do 4x damage
  • Raidou does 0.5x damage
  • Time to escape is 30x as high
  • MAG costs x3
  • Item costs x3
  • Summoning demons from the Devil Charts cost x7

4x damage probably means instant kill for some attacks.

Did you fight the optional boss,
Beelzebub?

No, I didn't look for optional bosses.

cj_iwakura

Yep, base damage inflicted by just about any boss or normal monster if you're at the standard level for that area means you're dead. This was true all the way to endgame and I was at Level 92 with a phys resist weapon.

Devil Mode took me at least 50 hours and probably 200 deaths.

As I understand it, Raidou 2's King Mode isn't nearly as stupid.

Venfayth

Does anyone have the big background art with all of the demons and/or personas on it? Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about it, I've been looking for it over the past couple days and can't find it :(

Yep, base damage inflicted by just about any boss or normal monster if you're at the standard level for that area means you're dead. This was true all the way to endgame and I was at Level 92 with a phys resist weapon.

Devil Mode took me at least 50 hours and probably 200 deaths.

As I understand it, Raidou 2's King Mode isn't nearly as stupid.

I remember seeing the changes for Raidou 1's hard mode and just smh.

Then again, I didn't bother with the hard modes of any other SMT either. :p

Jucksalbe

Banned
SNES9x. I can help you out if necessary. Took me some tweaking.

I have a problem with the sound (in every emulator I tried). The music (at least in the first area) has a crackling noise all the time. I even started the game on my SFC just to make sure this isn't supposed to be there (with SMT you never know). SNES9x also had huge black bars in the picture (that weren't on the screenshots I took).

Edit: Got rid of the black bars by switching to OpenGL.

cj_iwakura

I have a problem with the sound (in every emulator I tried). The music (at least in the first area) has a crackling noise all the time. I even started the game on my SFC just to make sure this isn't supposed to be there (with SMT you never know). SNES9x also had huge black bars in the picture (that weren't on the screenshots I took).

Didn't happen to me. Here's a video from my run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmXlc_j5Wk

Didn't know that this thread was a thing. But I'm actually currently playing my first game from this series, Devil Survivor: Overclocked, and I'm really enjoying it. What I really enjoy is how stripped down much if it is, if that makes sense. For a game like this having to track back and forth over a world map, or purchase equipment, or have to sit through specific dialog cut-scenes would all be what I would consider filler, and annoying. I love how the dialog and battles here are all accessed with just a simple menu system that lets me quickly get in to the battle or dialog options that I want.

Also, I'm not a game re-player usually, but playing through without a guide I'm realized that these is a solid bit of the game that I'm missing out on, and will probably give it another whirl a few years down the line. The demon fusing is a fun little mechanic as well, you can get attached to a demon that you use well in a few battles, but the system pretty much requires that you keep moving them forward and combining them to build up newer and better demons. I always enjoyed when the next tier of demons became available and I got to see what I could combine with my current roster into cool and new demons.

The only thing that I'm not too big on is the voice acting, not because it's bad in particular, but I'm a fast reader, so in the interests of time I usually just read the text fast and skip over the voice acting.

So yeah, really fun so far (I'm on day 6), and I'm keeping an eye out for picking up DS2 on the cheap as soon as I see it.

Koroviev

Didn't know that this thread was a thing. But I'm actually currently playing my first game from this series, Devil Survivor: Overclocked, and I'm really enjoying it. What I really enjoy is how stripped down much if it is, if that makes sense. For a game like this having to track back and forth over a world map, or purchase equipment, or have to sit through specific dialog cut-scenes would all be what I would consider filler, and annoying. I love how the dialog and battles here are all accessed with just a simple menu system that lets me quickly get in to the battle or dialog options that I want.

Also, I'm not a game re-player usually, but playing through without a guide I'm realized that these is a solid bit of the game that I'm missing out on, and will probably give it another whirl a few years down the line. The demon fusing is a fun little mechanic as well, you can get attached to a demon that you use well in a few battles, but the system pretty much requires that you keep moving them forward and combining them to build up newer and better demons. I always enjoyed when the next tier of demons became available and I got to see what I could combine with my current roster into cool and new demons.

The only thing that I'm not too big on is the voice acting, not because it's bad in particular, but I'm a fast reader, so in the interests of time I usually just read the text fast and skip over the voice acting.

So yeah, really fun so far (I'm on day 6), and I'm keeping an eye out for picking up DS2 on the cheap as soon as I see it.

Glad to see that you're enjoying it. Definitely try DS2! :)

MechaX

Welp, I kinda got side-tracked with Dragon's Dogma (which I loved), Persona 4 Arena (which drastically increased my blood pressure), and Tekken Tag 2 (which seems fun despite me derping everywhere). And I decided to push a little bit further in Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, especially since we have gotten zero word of a localized PSP version (at this point, I think the chances of it making it over here are slim).

0K641.png
ZMTtv.png
Pc2hp.png

But anyway, we left off at a slight branching point in the story; we can either meet with a male or a female anonymous investigator in order to obtain information on our recently revealed antagonists, the New World Order. I decided to pick the female path; the female path has a very interesting dungeon and sheds some light on some older Persona 1 characters. Unfortunately, the male path does have a better antagonist. Maybe I'll show off the male story someday, provided I can get through this game just fine. With all that said, the two are supposed to be at the bar Parabellum, so let's head over there.

Edit: cj_iwakura was gracious enough to make a Youtube video of this next segment. Since it's pretty funny, I suggest that you do so! The video is here and it shows off some scenes that I was too slow on getting screenshots of.

f6DaB.png
MByxT.png

Since Ulala decided to spread a rumor in order to meet the informants, it comes to no surprise that the media is already camped out in the bar. So basically, Ulala and Baofu are the Distraction Team.

SFb6U.png
2FYr1.png
5KL18.png

Ulala has a drink and tries to pillow talk Baofu, who is having absolutely none of this. I wonder what Maya and Katsuya are up to...

F3OV2.png
B8MKB.png
q99vK.png

This dialogue choice affects nothing, but I could not resist having Maya spout her iconic catchphrase.

0R4WJ.png
alpPT.png

It's little exchanges like this where I wish Maya actually was not a silent protagonist. I know it's an iconic staple of a majority of Megami Tensei games, but it seems to kinda cut out on Maya's character (especially if you have already played Innocent Sin before this). This light flirting session is interrupted with the informant shows up...

titVq.png
AD6C5.png

They managed to catch her before she is ambushed by the media inside. Now back to Baofu and Ulala...

30t3l.png

Baofu is letting Ulala down as gently as he knows how.

5NM5U.png
eWakB.png

Oh yeah... Maya is technically still on the clock (are we supposed to believe that this game's events so far have been in a single afternoon?)

NvqN7.png
AKCr1.png
oyIOR.png

Ulala is losing her shit and Baofu is still thinking this is all going according to plan. So he goes on the next phase of his Distraction Plan...

sYJlK.png
ATYao.png

Not Pictured: Ulala boxing the shit out of Baofu for that comment. This definitely was not part of the plan, so Baofu tries to make a quick escape to the exit...

kBxDi.png
z3nB7

The picture is misleading; Ulala actually gives him a full boxing combo.

YF1yK.png
KGBBw.png
HSezv.png

And Baofu gets the shit beaten out of him by a 25 year old clothing/lingerie designing persona user and a middle-aged, overweight editor of a trendy magazine. The story slightly fast forwards to the current HQ of the informants; a hotel suite.

MwROX.png
ONCFO.png
tCwMp.png

Poor Baofu.

Q9lIj.png
1Xqvc.png

The Nanjo Group also serves to be the single thing that links Persona 1/2 with Persona 3 (and by proxy, 4) through a very tangential reference. The Kirijo group, which is more prominent in P3, eventually broke off from the Nanjo group. And here is the leader of the Nanjo group; a mid-twenties persona user who wears a motorcycle helmet in-doors.

Slm7p.png
AxK0t.png

And this is our second Persona 1 character; Eriko/Ellen. As we'll see in the next dungeon, Ellen has a few skeletons in her closet that remained unresolved from Persona 1.

usKwG.png
EBZzX.png

Well... this is the first we've heard of this secretary.

cMkOH.png
Fyl6G.png
t9rUY.png

The Persona 1 references continue! Guido Kandori was actually the main antagonist of Persona 1 and the leader of the Sebec Corp. To put a long story short, he tried to fuck up the world until the 9 persona users of the first game fought him, there was parallel world nonsense going on, and in the near-incomprehensible original translation of Revelations: Persona for the PSX, he became Super Guido after his Persona consumed his mind (yes, Personas can do that). But that's a whole other story.

l4bOK.png
yf0Cu.png
5PHwS.png

Wang Long Fortune Telling is also connected in all of this NWO nonsense.

1ubm8.png
wuId2.png
8Uiyb.png

And herein is the branch; one dungeon, albeit a big one, a different antagonist for this next story arc, and a different character. Ellen goes off to a TV Station to investigate Chizuru (remember her? The main Wang Long fortune teller?) and Nate goes off to a secret laboratory to see why Kandori isn't dead. Well, technically Nate gets two short dungeons while Ellen gets one big one. The party takes a break and you can talk to everybody and explore again. Baofu is still pretty salty about his beating by Ulala, so we should talk to him.

TJxYj.png
AacfI.png

So basically Maya orchestrated the distraction as such; make Baofu insult Ulala in a very specific way knowing she would lose her shit, and not tell Ulala in order to make it more convincing. Maya is not as nice as she seems. But enough of that, we have some rumor business to do before going to the next dungeon. And a new area on the world map is unlocked, so let's explore for a bit.

xOWaE.png
tpJTa.png
sKXdB.png

I swear this localization is Pre-9/11. But this guy is pretty important... Basically, after talking to a couple of rumor-mongers around town, you can spread the rumor that this guy likes to collect maps. By "maps," he means "dungeon maps." That... kinda makes dungeon crawling exponentially more tedious because in order to map dungeons, you have to fully walk on every pixel of your auto map on every floor, trap, elevator, etc. In later dungeons, you will have to walk through entire corridors of lava or fall into pitfalls in order to get full map completion. At the price of this tedium, the map maker will give you some very good rewards, including awesome accessories and very broken spells. So we'll let slide for now the issue of why this guy wants a map of a TV Station.

oPurP.png
bnEBl.png

Before we go to the next dungeon, Maya needs to make a stop back at work in order to convince her boss that she is not completely slacking off on the job.

SP1KV.png
sIPY2.png

This dialogue choice actually matters; you get a reward later in the game for lying to your boss.

SO8HH.png
lcND6.png
df7wd.png

"Shake your petals?" Well... back to work she says, so let's get back to unmasking a national conspiracy by use of supernatural serial killers and demons.

I'll work on getting the next update soon.

Thanks for that awesome Raidou 1 play through. That was exciting to read and seeing as I'll never be able to play the game myself, I can now enjoy Raidou 2 knowing the events of Raudou 1.

cj_iwakura

Also reminds me that Eternal Punishment is one of the few(only?) RPGs that lets you customize the text and display to use different backgrounds.

Yuterald

So, I think I'm going to be on an SMT kick until SMTIV comes out. I'm replaying Nocturne and enjoying the hell out of it again. I never went for the true demon ending so I'm probably going to work on that this time. I'm 36 hours in on Normal and I just finished the Amala Temple. Man, Isamu speaks to me on so many levels. His music/theme is so fucking incredible too. I can't get enough of it.

I've also started to play my neglected copy of Strange Journey for the first time and I'm loving it! The ONLY thing I hate about the game is the soundtrack. The music is GOD AWFUL. What happened? The battle music is some of the most mundane garbage I've ever heard. I don't even care for any of the scene/event music or dungeon tracks.

Other than that, I love all the changes to the game, especially to the fusion system. The demon source stuff is such a nice option/alternative to the strict random skill inheritance BS. I LOVE the analyze stuff too. It's so addicting maxing out each enemy, receiving their source, and having their weaknesses/strengths displayed. I also really, really like how they handled this sub-app stuff. All the different programs you can equip is really cool and extremely handy. The game just feels more convenient or player friendly, I guess, as opposed to Nocturne.

So, aside from the awesome gameplay enhancements and garbage OST, I'm not feeling the characters too much or the over arching plot. I guess I need to see more before I pass judgement, but it's not nearly as engaging as say Nocturne was (which is my SMT standard, btw). I only finished the first sector so I'm assuming I'm still a ways off from hearing people's "Reasons" or philosophies.

Koroviev

So, I think I'm going to be on an SMT kick until SMTIV comes out. I'm replaying Nocturne and enjoying the hell out of it again. I never went for the true demon ending so I'm probably going to work on that this time. I'm 36 hours in on Normal and I just finished the Amala Temple. Man, Isamu speaks to me on so many levels. His music/theme is so fucking incredible too. I can't get enough of it.

I've also started to play my neglected copy of Strange Journey for the first time and I'm loving it! The ONLY thing I hate about the game is the soundtrack. The music is GOD AWFUL. What happened? The battle music is some of the most mundane garbage I've ever heard. I don't even care for any of the scene/event music or dungeon tracks.

Other than that, I love all the changes to the game, especially to the fusion system. The demon source stuff is such a nice option/alternative to the strict random skill inheritance BS. I LOVE the analyze stuff too. It's so addicting maxing out each enemy, receiving their source, and having their weaknesses/strengths displayed. I also really, really like how they handled this sub-app stuff. All the different programs you can equip is really cool and extremely handy. The game just feels more convenient or player friendly, I guess, as opposed to Nocturne.

So, aside from the awesome gameplay enhancements and garbage OST, I'm not feeling the characters too much or the over arching plot. I guess I need to see more before I pass judgement, but it's not nearly as engaging as say Nocturne was (which is my SMT standard, btw). I only finished the first sector so I'm assuming I'm still a ways off from hearing people's "Reasons" or philosophies.

I love the music in Strange Journey :(

Yuterald

Really!? Does it get better or something later on in the game? The first ice cave dungeon sounded like the lava caves from Super Metroid/Metroid Prime. Even by those standards it sounded bad! The battle music is horrendous too! Every PS2-era SMT game I've played had KILLER soundtracks. I've never played any of the Japanese only SMT times, but I've listened to a lot of their music and they sounded really good too. I mean, music is totally subjective and everything, but I really don't get what they were going for.

Soulhouf

Also reminds me that Eternal Punishment is one of the few(only?) RPGs that lets you customize the text and display to use different backgrounds.

If I recall correctly you have that option in Secret of Mana as well -> ()

I like Strange Journey music but the problem is that you always have to wait for a moment before it becomes awesome. The battle theme is great but the first 20 seconds of it isn't that good which is lame since battle often ends before that.
The worst part is the dungeon themes which reset every time you engage battle, so unless you sit still to hear the entire track (which becomes sometimes awesome after 1 minute) you will never hear more than 30 second of it. Who told them that making the music reset each time like back in the 80s was a good idea?

Strange Journey's music is good but it's executed very badly. That's a shame.

Yuterald

Oh, not sure if anyone could answer these questions, but I figured I would ask them here instead of the official thread since I'm sure most users here are pretty knowledgeable.

I have some questions/concerns regarding Strange Journey.

1. Should I register my demons? In Nocturne I keep every demon registered at their default registration level. One of the main reasons I do this (besides some OCD/organization purposes) is because on Hard difficulty the cost to summon back those demons is more expensive. If you registered them at their current level then on new game+ it's going to be a bitch in a half to get them back. Do I have to worry about that in SJ?

2. I don't completely understand the demon source stuff. Even after reading the in-game documents I'm a bit confused. Say I use a source during a transfer that source becomes lost, correct? What if I wanted to use that source again during another demon transformation? Would I have to recapture the same demon and build their analyze level back up or can I relearn the same source I obtained from the same demon I used previously?

Soulhouf

Oh, not sure if anyone could answer these questions, but I figured I would ask them here instead of the official thread since I'm sure most users here are pretty knowledgeable.

I have some questions/concerns regarding Strange Journey.

1. Should I register my demons? In Nocturne I keep every demon registered at their default registration level. One of the main reasons I do this (besides some OCD/organization purposes) is because on Hard difficulty the cost to summon back those demons is more expensive. If you registered them at their current level then on new game+ it's going to be a bitch in a half to get them back. Do I have to worry about that in SJ?

2. I don't completely understand the demon source stuff. Even after reading the in-game documents I'm a bit confused. Say I use a source during a transfer that source becomes lost, correct? What if I wanted to use that source again during another demon transformation? Would I have to recapture the same demon and build their analyze level back up or can I relearn the same source I obtained from the same demon I used previously?

1/Yes register them. You can always switch to the original demon by pressing SELECT button in the demonic compendium.

2/Correct. You can get the source again by leveling up the demon but the chance to obtain that source again becomes very small. And the analyze level will never go down, once it's at max it remains there.

I'd also advise against hoarding your sources; a lot of them become outdated fairly quickly as you get higher-level demons with better base skills, so you might as well use them while they're going to help you. (Only pointing this out because I did the whole pack rat thing, and it didn't really benefit me in the long run.)

I'm not gonna say SJ has my favorite soundtrack or anything, but I enjoyed it. It's definitely an acquired taste and a little left field from Meguro's other SMT/Persona work. The tracks are also pretty short, so you not only have a lot of plodding tempo, you have repetitive plodding tempo. But still.

I'd also advise against hoarding your sources; a lot of them become outdated fairly quickly as you get higher-level demons with better base skills, so you might as well use them while they're going to help you. (Only pointing this out because I did the whole pack rat thing, and it didn't really benefit me in the long run.)

I'm not gonna say SJ has my favorite soundtrack or anything, but I enjoyed it. It's definitely an acquired taste and a little left field from Meguro's other SMT/Persona work. The tracks are also pretty short, so you not only have a lot of plodding tempo, you have repetitive plodding tempo. But still.

It fits well with the Chaos/military vibe of the game.

Save any Source that has Reflect X on it. You'll know when you'll need them. You're welcome.

If your MC's lowest stat is VIT, restart now.

The demon convos in this are excellent. That's something that is rarely praised by people.

cj_iwakura

It fits well with the Chaos/military vibe of the game.

Save any Source that has Reflect X on it. You'll know when you'll need them. You're welcome.

If your MC's lowest stat is VIT, restart now.

The demon convos in this are excellent. That's something that is rarely praised by people.

SJ has the best convo system in the series, no doubt.

I love the 'okay, sorry about before, I'll join you now!' stuff.

SJ has the best convo system in the series, no doubt.

I love the 'okay, sorry about before, I'll join you now!' stuff.

Jack Frost: "Just who do you think I am-ho?"

MC: "You are a corporate mascot."

Jack Frost: "You're right, hee-ho, Can I come along?"

There was another with two versions of the same deity sparking a theological debate, but noticing the situation, the one outside the party demands to come along so they can continue at a more opportune time.

Jawmuncher

I'm playing Devil Survivor Overclocked right now.
While I am enjoying it, man does this game have some difficulty spikes.
I wouldn't mind so much but im even playing on easy.

However once you get past a battle that was beating your ass it is pretty rewarding.
Im in the battle right now with Kudlik the vampire. I know what to do for the fight but does anyone have any tips on the game as a whole so i won't have as much trouble moving forward.

So far the only things that have helped me out are grinding free battles and fusing demons t be closer to my level. Also im not a big fan of skill cracking, wish I could just buy abilities and what not.

Koroviev

I'm playing Devil Survivor Overclocked right now.
While I am enjoying it, man does this game have some difficulty spikes.
I wouldn't mind so much but im even playing on easy.

However once you get past a battle that was beating your ass it is pretty rewarding.
Im in the battle right now with Kudlik the vampire. I know what to do for the fight but does anyone have any tips on the game as a whole so i won't have as much trouble moving forward.

So far the only things that have helped me out are grinding free battles and fusing demons t be closer to my level. Also im not a big fan of skill cracking, wish I could just buy abilities and what not.

Build your MC into a magic user with some token strength and balanced Ag/Vit. Liberally apply drain and holy dance. Congratulations, you've won.

Gah, forgot about this thread, should have kept people posted with my recent SMT craze.

Well, here is a summary anyway and you all can help me decide what to go for next.

I recently grabbed a 3DSXL and was a looking for some games for it, SMT whore that I am Devil Survivor seemed like an obvious pick. It took me a little under 45 hours to beat the game with the N route, I did both 8th days and then NG+ in order to beat the game without dying and without any free battles. I do have to say drain is goddamned BROKEN in this game, my MC had Drain, Holy Dance, and whatever element I felt like amping at the time, with 30+ magic (I maxed it out during the 8th day scenarios) he was unstoppable. His group, by itself, could pretty much solo all of the final bosses. It is nice being able to just steamroll things that were major pains in the past, but I have to say it felt a bit too easy with this build at times.

After my 2 playthroughs of DS I went back to the game that got me into MegaTen, the original Persona. I was roughly 40 hours into the PSP game, right at the end of the Harem Queen scenario when I put it down about 3 years ago. It's kinda funny considering that I never beat the game on PSX either (I made it all the way to Deva Yuga, then realized I was set for the bad ending and was so pissed I never went back) but decided that this time I would finally beat the damned thing.

This time around, continuing from where I was before, I noticed some stuff that I hadn't before. First, dear lord they have trimmed spells in later games, DS had maybe 1/2 the spells that Persona did, or at least it felt that way. Second, the formation system is awful, there were so many times when Mark and Reiji could do NOTHING useful in a fight, and finally fusing new personas was just not all that important. I made if very far with level 20-30 personas and only upgraded a bit towards the end because I wanted to get everyone's Ultimate Personas.

And that was a LOT of grinding, my final game clock was around 70 hours, a lot of that time spend leveling up while I watched some star trek off of netflix. Still, I am happy to say everyone's ultimate personas were up to LVL 8 and I beat the crap out of that damned butterfly and thus the game. It only took me 15 years.

Now I'm wondering what to tackle next. I'm dling P2 off of PSN, I have the Snow Queen stuff to take care of in P1, 3 more endings in DS, and an unopened copy of strange journey. I also have DDS 1 and 2 ( I gave up after about 10 hours in DDS1) sitting around.

What do you all think?

cj_iwakura

Go straight to Persona 2.

Also, those low-level Persona you think are so awesome? Snow Queen will break your spine over their corpses. Have fun!

Go straight to Persona 2.

Also, those low-level Persona you think are so awesome? Snow Queen will break your spine over their corpses. Have fun!

I never said they were awesome, there just was usually very little need to upgrade, mainly because the weaknesses of the new personas available were just so genuinely crippling. When you combine the lack of spells with a weakness to all elements I found very little reason to even bother.

As for P2, I did start that, I just got past the introductory battle, as a port I think they have already done a better job than P1, especially with the music, I'm still debating whether to go with the original soundtrack or the remixed, but at least the remixes are based on the original tunes this time. The only issue I have is that they miss a bit of that alien feel that the PSX tracks did, still, good stuff and it fits much better than what Meguro did for P1 PSP.

Also for P2, this game gets hard friggen core in the messed up department early on, the whole Shadow thing is really creepy. Can't wait to see where the story goes.

Top Bottom