• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Ngeist

flarkminator said:
I think Excite Truck is going to be the Suprise Hit. Just you watch, word of mouth on that one.

Yeah, I just love it. This game is so furious... And it was the best racing game at E3, wasn't it ? Gran Turismo was behind.

PolyGone said:
sonic4ever said:
because I don't think JJConrad was referring to the best of the best... he was simply stating that Zelda outclasses some of the games on 360/ps3, and Tenchu Senran proves he is not in dreamland, as you suggested.

Pleas tell me ANY game on the PS3 that Zelda outclasses. I think the newer pic of untold legends look better than Zelda. Zelda look good and I am going to get it on my GC but by the pic it looks like shadow of collosus.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
ant123456789 said:
Dude, very uncalled for. ugh.

On a site that makes fun of everything from abortion to retards and suicide, I think it fits in pretty well.

PS:
Zelda and Mario look AWESOME!!

Amir0x

Banned
yup pretty much

Little_Nemo_The_Dream_Master.gif

Logan Cano said:
You honestly think Metroid Prime 3 looks much better than MP1 or 2?? The game looks on a very similar level to its predecessors. After seeing a few videos and screens, if you told me the screens were from MP2, I would have believed you.

Also, it'd be awesome if we had affordable hardware that could produce FF:TSW graphics. Having Kojima make a MGS on it would be a dream. :D

Have you watched the IGN walkthrough video of the whole demo. It looks FABULOUS. It very much has the same style as the first prime, and it doesn't have a whole bunch of super normal mapped and specular highlighted stuff, but a lot of the effects are just incredible looking. The whole demo looked incredibly polished and I thought was MUCH more impressive than Halo 2, which had a similar setting. If you threw it in 720p I would easily believe it was a 360 game.

Logan Cano said:
I think it looks ok. The polygon count is low, and the textures are mixed, some pretty good, some pretty bad. It's about what I'd expect from an Xbox Ubi Soft title.

Or course, that image really isn't what the game looks like, since it has like 100xAA.:)

You are terrible. Buy a PS3 and stay quiet. Only a fool can hope that Wii will be graphically as good as a 360 or a PS3.

Nintendo must have really hit a homerun this week to get so many trolls riled up.

I think many of these shots look great. It doesn't matter if they were on Wii or the PS4 ... they'd still look good. Art is more important the polygon counts and texture filters. Even more important, these screens represent games that I'm looking forward to playing, why can't I say, "Wow."

All this talk abut generational leaps and junk is getting annoying. That Zelda shot outclasses so many 360 and PS3 games, its not even funny. If the Gamecube is capible of that, then why should we pay $400 & $600 for any next-gen console? My biggest problem with 360 and PS3 games (particularly in motion) is that they still look like a video game ... we still have framrate problems, still have poorl looking textures, still have some funky and repetitive animation, still have clipping and jaggies, etc.. Many times, it feels like we're actually arguing over which graphics are less ugly.

You said this, you said all.

Dolphin

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
You are terrible. Buy a PS3 and stay quiet. Only a fool can hope that Wii will be graphically as good as a 360 or a PS3.
genjiqi5.jpg

soniczg7.jpg

Both taken from videos. Not saying the Wii can compete at all, just saying.

Dolphin

Banned
I disagree. Although PS3 is technically far superior, art and talent will always win over brute strength.

You really think Genji looks better there?

PolyGone

Banned
Dolphin said:
I disagree. Although PS3 is technically far superior, art and talent will always win over brute strength.

You're a junior member so you can be forgiven for thinking this, but this is GAF : it doesn't matter how bad the actual art/design of a game is, if it has bump mapping on every surface its automatically better.

empanada

Jeez. It's pretty obvious that if graphics are the most important thing to you, then you should skip the Wii and get a 360 or PS3 instead. Whining about it won't change the fact that its not as powerful as the 360 or PS3.

With that said, the graphics look great considering the hardware.

empanada

TerryLee81 said:
I disagree. The graphics don't look better than Xbox 1 graphics. And the Wii is more powerfull iirc.
Well, its a mixed bag. A lot of these launch games were developed on GC hardware which explains why some are not up to par with xbox. Besides, its only first gen games. It'll get better.

Ryu

I'm not whining that the Wii graphics aren't up to snuff, I just don't see how people can be singing its graphical praises when there are very clear issues that in some cases make the whole system look no better than what gamecube can output. I also agree that a great artstyle will without a doubt outclass a high polygon count, but I'm not seeing much of any particular artistic style that really stands out and grabs me from the Wii launch other than Zelda of course. Even future coming games don't stand out and grab me, they appear merely adequate - but adequate for 2004.

I get that we're getting innovation, that's great if it works out, but I still believe we should get both. We should be able to have our cake and eat it too. Take the DS for example, graphically, it's great, it has innovation, and it has the games to show for it even if the vast majority of great titles do not incorporate that innovation in a useful manner. It's the perfect example of the total package of art, graphics, and innovation.

Slightly off topic, anyone else notice Nintendo is marching towards the whole Apple approach? It's marketing (people playing the Wii all dressed in white vs people dancing to an iPod as black silhouettes), their keynotes at conferences (Regie and Jobs certainly present in a similar manner), their sleek stylish construction of their hardware (the Wii in white, the DS in white, all smooth and polished down to a gloss much like the iMacs and iPods), and right down to their snubbing of competitors (with less features, but toting the banner of innovation and style to approach gaming differently)... And their campaign slogan of bringing gaming back to the masses is akin to Apple's "Think Different" slogan of '97 - '02. It's really uncanny.

PantherLotus said:
WiiSports - Boxing

NOTE: These are screengrabs from an IGN streaming video!

wiisports-boxing1.jpg

wiisports-boxing2.jpg

wiisports-boxing3.jpg

I will love this game...and I will love Wii sports in general. I ****ing love Nintendo. They just know how to make games fun and new and at the same time feel nostalgic. I think it's because they focus on using characatures and exagerated animation instead of trying to emulate photorealism.

PolyGone said:
You're a junior member so you can be forgiven for thinking this, but this is GAF : it doesn't matter how bad the actual art/design of a game is, if it has bump mapping on every surface its automatically better.
But BWii has bump mapping! This goes against everything I believe! It can't look good, right GAF?!

ssoass

PolyGone said:
hey look its one of those games that Zelda outclasses easily and its a 360 game:

1105_0018.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082134302.jpg

Not at all trying to troll here, I think Zelda looks really awesome, this is just an observation...

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082136708.jpg

00006712523jj0.jpg

I think the PS2 game looks about on par with Zelda in these very comparable pics.
In-game, Zelda definitely looks better than FF12 though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
more excite truck please!
best launch game ever.

PolyGone

Banned
ssoass said:
Not at all trying to troll here, I think Zelda looks really awesome, this is just an observation...

I think the PS2 game looks about on par with Zelda in these very comparable pics.

you have to look at the context of what I was doing there... some guy said this, another guy said that, etc... anyway yeah you're right, good art = good art no matter what system its on, thats kind of the point.

VultureDude said:
but does it matter? everyone in this forum will have a Wii when it's cheap, regardless oftheir opinion on graphics.

:lol absolutely not. I hate non-games. This isnt just about gfx.

AndoCalrissian said:
I see the trolls are out in full force.

Meh, so are the fanboys.

ssoass said:

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082136708.jpg

00006712523jj0.jpg

Of course it looks comparable..The FFXII cutscene is CGI and the Zelda cutscene is Ingame.

What would you guys rather play, 99 Nights or Zelda?

Graphics will never, ever be as important as gameplay. Ever. Graphics simply cannot make a game.

Graphics can certainly aid a game, whether it's immersion or simply shock factor.

But with all of this talk of the PS2 selling the best this holiday season, and so many people sticking with their PS2's thanks to the great upcoming games like God of War 2 and Final Fantasy 12... I find it more than a tad hypocritical to attack the Wii for having average at best graphics, when the PS2 is in the exact same boat, and yet so many are embracing it for this holiday season and until at least the end of the fiscal year.

Gameplay is what matters most, always. You can play Star Wars: Rogue Squadron or you can play Tie Fighter. Tie Fighter doesn't have bump mapping nor nearly as many polygons on screen. When Rogue Leader was first shown and up until it's release, it was used as a bench mark.

Fast forward two years. People look at it as overhyped. A simply average game with amazing graphics for it's time. Who gives a shit about Rogue Leader now? You look back at the GameCube, Rogue Leader ain't making any Top 10 lists.

I realize that being on a gaming forum, we are all initially exposed to the graphics. We might be lucky enough to be delivered to a video, thus initially exposed to graphics, sound, and seeing how the game plays... but most of the time it's just first screens or first scans. And that's the template we use. We can fully judge the graphics through screenshots and video. We can't come nearly as close when it comes to gameplay.

But overall, gameplay is what matters. Halo looked quite good for an XBox launch game. I remember fondly the sun filtering through the leaves of a tree at the beginning of the second level. But you know what I remember a lot more? Running over my friend with a jeep and then trying to use the warthog to get on top of the map on the beach level while playing co-op.

Right now you simply have to let people either bitch about the graphics or praise them. It'll mostly be bitching. There ain't much you can do about it because people can't play the game yet.

But whether you're the one bitching or the one defending, just remember the graphics aren't nearly as important as they're made out to be in this thread, or in most others. If Rayman is only a bunch of minigames poorly slung together, it'll disappoint. If Red Steel doesn't get it's aiming and sword play mechanics down, it'll be looked upon as an overhyped average launch title. If Zelda's aiming system seems crippled compared to it's GameCube cousin's, people will view it as a mistake.

So have your debates, have your discussions, but just don't forget-

**** you guys can be dumb sometimes.

Zer0

Banned
Mike Works said:
What would you guys rather play, 99 Nights or Zelda?

zelda with 99 nights graphics..and nintendo fan boys can spin this all they want.360 and ps3 will get AWESOME GAMES with AWESOME GRAPHICS

Amir0x

Banned
Bud said:
*SMG Picture*

smg looks realy realy awesome and fun. i need to buy the wii just for this game.

Yup yup.

Super Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime III are why Wii is purchased for Mii

Holy ****ing shit. For ****'s sake. Every sane person knows that the Wii cannot compete--even remotely--with Xbox 360 and PS3 from technical terms. People who don't realize that aren't going to have their opinions changed at this point, it's safe to say.

That said, do people really enjoy going through this bullshit all over again in every single Wii thread? Is it really so hard to just look at a screenshot and decide if it looks good or not on its own merits, rather than relative to other systems? Zelda looks great. Super Mario Galaxy looks great. I think Rayman looks great. I think Metroid Prime 3 looks great. Could they be looking even better on Xbox 360 or PS3, or even on Wii? Yes, no doubt. Do I care? no, not at all. That stuff doesn't even occur to me until the Perspective Brigade marches into these threads and loudly reminds everyone of it. Even then, it doesn't impact my actual impressions of the screenshots themselves, it just makes the threads more painful to wade through.

How many times has this same exact thing been pointed out? Does this really need to continue? Is ANYBODY having their mind changed about anything? Is anyone having any constructive conversation? No, of course not.

Rocked

Chris Remo said:
Is it really so hard to just look at a screenshot and decide if it looks good or not on its own merits, rather than relative to other systems? Zelda looks great. Super Mario Galaxy looks great. I think Rayman looks great. I think Metroid Prime 3 looks great. Could they be looking even better on Xbox 360 or PS3, or even on Wii? Yes, no doubt. Do I care? no, not at all. That stuff doesn't even occur to me until the Perspective Brigade marches into these threads and loudly reminds everyone of it.

QFT!

Kevtones

Chris Remo said:
Holy ****ing shit. For ****'s sake. Every sane person knows that the Wii cannot compete--even remotely--with Xbox 360 and PS3 from technical terms. People who don't realize that aren't going to have their opinions changed at this point, it's safe to say.

That said, do people really enjoy going through this bullshit all over again in every single Wii thread? Is it really so hard to just look at a screenshot and decide if it looks good or not on its own merits, rather than relative to other systems? Zelda looks great. Super Mario Galaxy looks great. I think Rayman looks great. I think Metroid Prime 3 looks great. Could they be looking even better on Xbox 360 or PS3, or even on Wii? Yes, no doubt. Do I care? no, not at all. That stuff doesn't even occur to me until the Perspective Brigade marches into these threads and loudly reminds everyone of it. Even then, it doesn't impact my actual impressions of the screenshots themselves, it just makes the threads more painful to wade through.

How many times has this same exact thing been pointed out? Does this really need to continue? Is ANYBODY having their mind changed about anything? Is anyone having any constructive conversation? No, of course not.

QFT

I tried to bring this up before but was unsuccesful. Still, count me in the group hoping for Wii-graphic comparisons that are constructive.

PS That SMG screenshot is really, really beautiful~

ram

are there any screens for WINGS?

and btw. the zelda shots looks like the build i played one year ago and in my eyes it doesnt look awesome and by no means better than for example FF XII.

ram said:
are there any screens for WINGS?

and btw. the zelda shots looks like the build i played one year ago and in my eyes it doesnt look awesome and by no means better than for example FF XII.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082131255.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082131989.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082134302.jpg

Are you sure you're seeing the pics the rest of us are seeing? The first build of Zelda looked like a Gamecube game. This game looks next gen.

bud

you're eyes are deceiving you but it does look good. imo smg is the best looking wii game and it will force me to buy the wii
once it comes down to €100 or less.

BooJoh

Moderation Unlimited said:
I think they should have a new Zelda game that has a 3d isometric camera viewpoint like Bulder's Gate or the original zelda game on NES (except 3d). I like 3d (dyanamic camera) Zelda and all (and am psyched for this game), but I'd like them to make an old schoolishish Zelda one of these days.
You just described Phantom Hourglass. If you want 2d/2d styled games, your best bet is to look to handhelds for them.

Sunski

The thing is - Wii is at a stage where they can have great looking 3D worlds with smooth graphics and great AI and physics. Just because it doesn't go the next step in plastic and shiney and furry doesn't make it bad looking. Once you are playing these games at full speed you won't even notice. (IMO)

Bud said:
you're eyes are deceiving you but it does look good. imo smg is the best looking wii game and it will force me to buy the wii
once it comes down to €100 or less.

Yes, SMG is pretty. VERY pretty this could be because of the great use of lighting though.

ram

HisBrother said:
Are you sure you're seeing the pics the rest of us are seeing? The first build of Zelda looked like a Gamecube game. This game looks next gen.

no, this game looks exactly like what it is - a gamecube game (not saying it looks bad, infact it looks really good, but it is NOT next gen and it doesnt look better than other high profile 128bit games like FF XII)

Top Bottom