• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

I'm in.

The last games I bought were Dishonored, Bulletstorm, and Kingdoms of Amalur.

Pretty far in Dishonored but lost some interest, I probably won't finish Kingdoms for a while; and I have Halo 4 to pick up, so I may just sell them. I'm also thinking about listing most of my older games in Buy/Sell to get rid of them and not tempt myself.

My goal is a backlog-free life.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't think I can do this...but I will try to keep my purchases to a minimum. In 2013, my planned purchases are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, The Last of Us, and South Park. Not sure what else is on my radar. I'm working my way down from spending $4000+ a year on games 2-3 years ago.

As such, my rule will be as follows: I only plan on buying games that I intend to beat or play for more than 50 hours (in the case of Monster Hunter or multiplayer titles).

theDeeDubs

Count me in. I think having your clause is good because there wouldn't hardly be anyone left after BioShock and GTA5 next year. Hitman will be a good test coming up for me as well.

Just IMO: Gifts (Christmas is close), free PS+ games, and new console + some games at launch should be allowed.

Ledsen

I'm in.

The last games I bought were Dishonored, Bulletstorm, and Kingdoms of Amalur.

Pretty far in Dishonored but lost some interest, I probably won't finish Kingdoms for a while; and I have Halo 4 to pick up, so I may just sell them. I'm also thinking about listing most of my older games in Buy/Sell to get rid of them and not tempt myself.

My goal is a backlog-free life.

Count me in. I think having your clause is good because there wouldn't hardly be anyone left after BioShock and GTA5 next year. Hitman will be a good test coming up for me as well.

Just IMO: Gifts (Christmas is close), free PS+ games, and new console + some games at launch should be allowed.

Added!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will probably do this after Guilty Gear comes out on PSN, I'm pretty sure that's the last game I'm buying this year.

Backlog stress is a bit funny. At first you honestly believe you will finish all the games you own at some point in time (this is mostly the first 1-2 years of using Steam). Eventually you realize you keep buying games faster than you can possibly complete them, and the stress sets in. However, some time later (another 1-2 years I guess?) you come to terms with that fact and move on. There's nothing wrong with having lots of games you'll never finish; as long as the game had any quality you liked (even conceptually, in the case of games you don't even get to try), then you contributed to a good cause by buying it.

Come to think of it, isn't this a bit like those "five stages of grief" thing?

zkylon

zkylewd
Fair game if you play it immediately, which I'm planning.
So basically this is an indie bundle thing?

I guess I'm in then, I barely buy games just because they're on the cheap.

My rules:
* If it's a single game it must be played immediately upon purchase
* No bundles
* Applies only to new stuff (~2005+). If I find Grim Fandango boxed for pennies, I'm sorry GAF :3
* Gifts don't count

Tempted to do this...I'm a very picky gamer and there is nothing coming in 2013 I want so other than saving up my money for some of those costly retro games...I don't see myself wanting to buy much if anything. And I don't really have a backlog either (Just sell it off instead)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Even though my purchases of games have gone down over the last few years, I don't think I can last a year.

Good luck to anyone who also has to play through all the lack luster/filler/bought it cause i can games they got on steam sales.

I do not pity you one bit.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Currently at -11 in the 2012 Backlog Blitz so I might as well join in.

Glass Rebel

So basically this is a indie bundle thing?

So basically these are my rules:
* No bundles
* Applies only to new stuff (~2005+). If I find Grim Fandango boxed for pennies, I'm sorry GAF :3
* Gifts don't count

If I find Grim Fandango in whatever condition be it digital or physical you can be sure that I'll drop everything and play it until my eyes bleed.

Bii

Even though my purchases of games have gone down over the last few years, I don't think I can last a year.

Same here. The Wii U launch is right around the corner, too. I won't be participating but wish the best of luck to those who are.

Kade

Sign me up! I bought a lot of older GC, PS1, PS2, PC and DS games in the past year and need to finish them all but haven't even started half of them.

just think..... in 1 year all the games you DONT buy.... will be atleast half off or have GOTY editions with all dlc included!

this is my generally philosophy with gaming now.. stay on top of the current industry media-wise but behind in playing games by 1-2 years.

saves money, reduces back log by playing through games till you're "done", reduces back log by allowing you to play your current backlog, prevents hype bought games and impulse purchases... i could go on but you see my point...

Ledsen

So basically this is a indie bundle thing?

So basically these are my rules:
* No bundles
* Gifts don't count

Currently at -11 in the 2012 Backlog Blitz so I might as well join in.

I'm in. This will be easy unless an unexpected must-have AAAAA game approaches.

Sign me up! I bought a lot of older GC, PS1, PS2, PC and DS games in the past year and need to finish them all but haven't even started half of them.

Then count me IN! I have one hell of a backlog to tackle. Some games I've had for years!

added!

isual

I'm in. I have a huge PS2/360/ps3 jrpg backlog. However, I do have one game that I'll be buying most definitely next year and that is Total war rome 2, and possibly the next cod. hahahaha.

PS2 GAMES
front mission 5 JP version
magna carta tears of blood
bards tale
grandia 2
grandia 3
grandia xtreme
mana khemia alchemists of al revis
castlevania curse of darkness (ehhhh).
wild arms 5
wild arms alter code f
street fighter anniversary
full metal alchemist 1
full metal alchemist 2
lotr third age
stella deus
steambot chronicles
xmen legends 2
baroque
suikoden tactics
metal saga
mega man command mission x (accidentally deleted my save file; have to restart)
romancing saga
rogue galaxy
shadow hearts 1
shining tears
atelier iris 1
atelier iris 2
makai kingdom
disgaea 1
disgaea 2
la pucelle tactics
phantom brave
suikoden 5
SMT Devil summoner raidou kazunoha vs the soulless army
SMT Devil summoner raidou kazunoha vs king abaddon
SMT Persona 3 FES
SMT Persona 4

PSP GAMES
valkyria chronicles 2
super robot wars z2 (already finished, however i think i messed up the different routes on my second game..)
super robot wars a portable
crimson gem saga
hexyz force

PS3 GAMES
mw3 (dlc on sale)
nier
star ocean 4
resonance of fate
white knight chronicles
white knight chronicles 2
ff 13-2
fear 3
disgaea 4
dc online universe
trinity souls of zill o
valkyria profile (at the last mission)

XBOX 360 GAMES
front mission evolved FINISHED
risen
cod black ops (dlc on sale)
two worlds 2
divinity 2 dragon knight saga
mass effect 3 extended FINISHED
magic 2013
agarest war
agarest war zero
magna Carta 2
halo 4
cod black ops 2

PC GAMES
ff11 (On hiatus at the moment, sort of excited for the new expansion)
world of tanks (finally got the jagdpanther, i want the king tiger now)
battlefield 3
diablo 3 (mostly endgame barb on inferno)
TERA (almost up game time)
borderlands 1
trine 1
trine 2
ys origins
witcher 1

DS GAMES
pokemon heartgold
dragon quest 5
ff3
smt strange journey

ps one
ff chronicles (specifically 4) stuck at the boss after the magus sisters in the tower where you rescue the girl .

books i'm reading

war40k Nemesis FINISHED
war40k ciaphas cain omnibus hero of the imperium
war40k fear to tread
war40k ravenor omnibus

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Count me in. I have a formidable backlog of Wii/GC games, as well as a large pile of DS games, a few for GBA and several on PC.

I am very bad at playing one game at a time and often set aside a game for months before coming back to it, so I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the escape clause in its original form, but I will set a similar goal for myself if that's alright: for every new game bought, two games from my backlog must be completed.

I'll add you with a link to your post then.
Great. Thanks!
I'll start by adding my entire backlog to my original post. It'll probably take me a while to get every single game from the backlog in a list, so I'll add them over a period of time.
If a game I've added is a new purchase I'll be sure to mark it as such.

My Backlog as of November 11th 2012

PC: Bulletstorm (close to finishing), Alice:Madness Returns, Beyond Good & Evil, Psychonauts, OddWorld: Stranger's Wrath HD, Startopia, Jet Set Radio HD, World of Goo, Orcs Must Die!, Half-Life 2, Outcast, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Rochard, Tron 2.0 (if I can get it to work), OddWorld: Munch's Oddyssey, Abe's Oddyssey, Abe's Exodus.

GBA: Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, Zelda Minish Cap, bit Generations Dotstream.

DS: -forthcoming-

Wii: The Last Story (close to finishing), Xenoblade, NPC Pikmin 2, Donky Kong Country Returns, Mario Galaxy (defeat final Bowser), Kirby's Return to Dreamland (close to finishing), ExciteTruck (unlock everything), Trauma Center: New Blood, Epic Mickey, Mario Galaxy 2, GoldenEye 007, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Pandora's Tower, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Trauma Team, Zelda Skyward Sword, Little King's Story, Zack & Wiki, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (finish campaign with every character), Sonic Colors, NBA JAM (unlock all teams and special characters), Muramasa, Dewy's Adventure, Klonoa (finish final level), Sin & Punishment 2 (defeat final boss), Red Steel 2, Okami, Super Paper Mario, Fragile Dreams, No More Heroes 2, Battalion Wars 2 (finish campaign), Elebits.

WiiWare and VC: -forthcoming-

GC: Viewtiful Joe (close to finishing), Viewtiful Joe 2, MGS Twin Snakes, F-Zero GX (unlock all 3 cups), Billy Hatcher, Super Mario Sunshine, Metal Arms, Zelda Wind Waker, Odama (play as much as I can take), Eternal Darkness, Ikaruga.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games Purchased Since November 11th 2012:

Caelestis

I wish I could join, but no way I'll be able to make it even though my backlog is humongous. xD

Might as well just try to limit the purchases to a minimum.

PS4 comes out next year, man! And The Last of Us! No way I'm doing it for a whole year.

But a 6 month challenge? I'm down. Not buying anything except Okami HD with my hard earned $20 PSN bonus.

...and maybe New Super Mario Bros on the original DS if I need something else for the commute once I finish Strange Journey. Maybe!

But right now I need to get through:

MGS 2 HD
MGS 3 HD
MGS 4
MGS Peacewalker HD
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Valkyria Chronicles DLC
Where Is My Heart?
Alex Kidd
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Alundra
Final Fantasy VIII
Neo Nectaris

Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think I should be able to get through almost all of that by May. Several of them are in various states of completion. In the interim, there's really nothing else that I need.

Ah, fuck it

Count me in!

Being able to a actually buy something as long as I play it immediately makes it feasible. Basically what I'm doing with RE6 right now ....yes, that's right, I've been playing it RE6 since its release and STILL haven't finished it. So yeah, that's why I need to try this ....and actually mean it this time!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck getting it to run anywhere lol.
I tried the demo several times on different machines and couldn't get it to run in any single one. So I've marked it as one game I'll never get to play.

just think..... in 1 year all the games you DONT buy.... will be atleast half off or have GOTY editions with all dlc included!

this is my generally philosophy with gaming now.. stay on top of the current industry media-wise but behind in playing games by 1-2 years.

saves money, reduces back log by playing through games till you're "done", reduces back log by allowing you to play your current backlog, prevents hype bought games and impulse purchases... i could go on but you see my point...
Actually no. Yes, you save money by buying older games, but you're still buying them. Or are you getting them in small quantities?

Fuck it, I'm in.

I will probably do it from November to November though. Since we might have PS4 or Xbox 720 next November, I don't think I can hold on for that.

As much as a gamer I am, I am at a stage in my life where less video games can actually help me out. I do have quite a ton of backlog, might as well complete that and may be borrow a game or two from my friend if I really do complete all of them.

Not to mention, I'm not interested in WiiU nor the handhelds. So just the PC/360/PS3. I do not like GTA as much, so can avoid that. However, Bioshock, The last Of Us, and the new game by the Heavy Rain developers will be hard to resist.

So, I might buy few games for Black Friday, I will get the new COD to satisfy my online craving and I will not purchase another game with money until next November.

This will probably be the new craziest thing I will have done, fuck.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ys Celceta is the only game that will probably be released in the next 12 months that I'd absolutely want to get, play, and support on day 1. And I intend to do that, so I'm not really "in" since that's one game for me (probably, it's still not announced).

Doubt anything else coming in the next year will stick out enough to make me want it immediately. But I suppose it's a good goal to shoot for with that one game as an exception.

Sure, I'll bite. Have a few 360 and Steam games I need to work my way through, so besides a few upcoming 3DS games (all Mario related besides FE:Awakening, so they should be pretty easy to work through on my commute) and the Wii U when the stuff that got me interested in it comes out sometime next year (all of which I'm pretty sure I'd play immediately, considering the type of games they are).

Thinking about it I didn't buy too much this year either. Most I can think of is Kid Icarus, Mario 3DLand and Deus Ex: HR, Madness Returns and The Devil's Playhouse for cheap.

Though since we have a time limit, I'll choose for around 6 to 9 months? Do games people have given you count?

UrbanRats

The year of GTA5 and BioShock Infinite? Put the crack pipe down, son.
And two awesome Metal Gear games; and Project Zwei (maybe); and WatchDogs; and Last of Us; Rome 2..
OP, think it through!

2014 will be full of shitty next gen launch games though, could be more viable.

EDIT: And what if a third Souls game comes out this next fall? I would be using that "*" every two weeks. :p

Polk

Count me in but...
I will kickstart games
I will new games for vintage platforms (Atari, Zx Spectrum etc) because there are mostly limited runs and won't be reprinted once they sell out.
I will have option to buy 1 game/indie bundle for each 25 completed games.
I won't cancel any preorders I will have before we start
I will buy games for my phone/tablet as those are rather timewasters than 'proper' games for me.

Jawmuncher

I applaud everyone going in and clearing their backlog.
Recently cleared my Console backlog and it sure does feel good not having all those games weighing me down when I buy new stuff.

The biggest tip I can give especialyl for steam users buying stuff on sale, if they game just sucks or is absolutely not grabbing your interest drop it. Nothing worse than wasting your time on something you hate or something that is boring you to tears.

Also RPGs are the worse. A lot of my backlog was because of that.
Especialyl JRPGS (Though yuo don't need to really worry about that on PC)

cajunator

Banned
Fuck that.
I hardly ever finish a game.
Im too ADD and not skilled enough to finish them, so I buy them for "the experience".

Top Bottom