• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

toneroni

I might jump in.
My backlog is ginormous and keeps growing.

I try to sell off games once in a while but then run across cheap games or collectors editions and I pick em up.

Trying to get back into games by going handhelds first.

Add me to the list, please. Best case scenario, I score a critical hit on my beast of a backlog. Worst case scenario (lol), I buy games and finish them!

Parallacs

This thread officially sponsored by Microsoft©.

Please purchase Halo 4® and then ignore the WiiU for a year!

(I really should do this but come on, the timing of this is so unfortunate)

rataven

Well, I think I'm going to give this a shot! Please add me. I have a few exceptions for next year -- Dead Space 3, whatever the next AC game is -- but my backlog is ridiculous, and I think having this thread around to be held accountable to should keep me in check.

vall03

I just read the escape clause and I think this will be easy for me, and along with the Backlog Blitz thread, I just have to maintain a 0 or positive score for next year. Its also what Ive been doing for a couple of months now. Guess I'll join in, I need to track where I spend my money anyway, would be a great way to control those impulse purchases.

Madn

I'm in! I won't buy any new game until I get rid of my backlog, and if I actually manage to do that I will buy one game at a time and finish it before buying a new one

I'll join this in my own way. I own currently around 750 physical games (+/- 50?) so I'm making the goal to not buy any more games until I get that number below 200. A vast majority of the games have been barely played, if at all, so I have loads to get through if I decide to actually play this backlog.

My main exclusion will be that I'll likely still pick up cheap digital games because I'm more concerned about cutting down on physical goods. I won't be using this "loophole" to get a bunch of retail games digitally but I'll likely still grab a humble indie bundle or perhaps a couple XBLA games every now and then.

This'll do me good. I already sold around 300 games awhile back and have since built my collection up too much since then and need to drastically cut it down. I don't play as much so having a huge library does nothing for me other than add clutter and making moving a pain.

I'm not that torn up about likely missing big titles like GTA5 (since I don't imagine I'll be down to less than 200 by then) since it just means the games I want will be discounted by the time I'm allowing myself to pick up some titles. That noted, I won't be using the way out suggested in the OP of allowing new purchases if I play them immediately.

Hope I can stick to this. I already told my girlfriend so I have someone to scold me if I look like I'm going to break from the plan.

Edit:

Might as well use this as a rolling list of games I've beaten since starting the challenge:

Asura's Wrath
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Collection
Theatrhythm
Assassin's Creed III

Glass Rebel

I bought Darksiders II + Season Pass yesterday since I'm afraid of THQ going out of business and their games being taken off Steam. I said I'd stop buying games when the Winter sale starts but still. :(

Update:

Finished RE6 and now don't know what I'm gonna play next on console. Thinking i'm gonna just try to platinum it as i'm still in that headspace and don't wanna move on to something else right now

Recently finished up Unit13 on Vita though and am buying Persona4 next week as I'm jumping right into it

RpgN

It's good that there is a pass for gifts :p Here is some progress update.

Games completed:

Doodle Fit (minis psp)

Games playing:

Dead or Alive Dimensions (3ds)
Dead or Alive 4 (xbox 360)
Ecco the Dolphin (dreamcast)
Headhunter (dreamcast)
Joe Danger (psn ps3)

Games received as gifts:

Okami HD (psn ps3)

Okami HD is completely new to me. I've read all about it and tried the ps2 demo without thinking too much of it. The demo didn't feel that great back then. Fast forward a couple of years later, I still wasn't looking forward to it until I saw a long gameplay video. That video convinced me to want the game and it seems work was put to make this an excellent conversion. I hope my analysis is right when it comes to this game.

I'm also going to most likely buy Jet Set Radio on the vita when it arrives, I'm going to play that one straight but I don't really consider it backlog when I've already played it on the dreamcast. I just like to have it on portable and play it again.

Ecco the Dolphin arrived safe and sound from ebay. At first I was testing the game but ended up enjoying it, finding it unique and wanting more from it. So I decided to continue playing with it.

Ledsen

I bought Crusader King's II DLC today for a total of $1.49. I don't think it counts since it's just unit portraits and music :)

Currently playing Dark Souls, which I picked up again after a short hiatus. Such an amazing game, really looking forward to beating it. Will definitely replay it some time in the future.

mshlive

I want to join this, i'll be making use of the escape clause I think but I'll just be using this in conjunction with the Backlog Blitz thread to make some progress. I've always joked that I wouldn't mind the game industry shutting down for a year or two so that I could catch up with no temptations.

My current problem is that I don't know where to start, I've started up a few games but I just can't seem to get into them, partly because I've got that many to play!

stuminus3

Oh hey! I tried and failed at this a couple of years back, even had my own topic on GAF about it. I'm a big fat loser so it didn't work, but good luck to everyone joining in!

Celegus

You know what works for me? Don't buy tons of games. Buy them cheap and infrequently. Play the games I have. I know... crazy huh?

Sora_N

I want to join this, i'll be making use of the escape clause I think but I'll just be using this in conjunction with the Backlog Blitz thread to make some progress. I've always joked that I wouldn't mind the game industry shutting down for a year or two so that I could catch up with no temptations.

My current problem is that I don't know where to start, I've started up a few games but I just can't seem to get into them, partly because I've got that many to play!

YOu should just play the game you most want to play.

barugon

Alright, I'm in.

I've got a backlog of 100 or so games that I've been meaning to get through, so this is good motivation. Realistically, I imagine I can clear the log in 6-8 months. If I do, I'm going right back to throwing money at Steam; my goal is to clear the backlog, after all.

Off the top, there's a fair chance I'll buy Halo 4 before Christmas, and Bioshock Infinite at launch. I will play these immediately. I'm sure a couple of others will tempt me. I tend to buy 6 or so new releases a year and half probably go to my backlog. This, more than anything, I want to avoid. It's one thing to spend $7 on a Steam game and let it sit on the shelf for a year, it's another to do the same with a $60 console release (I'm looking at you, AC2).

Update

Bought Resistance Burning Skies as I'm gonna play that in tandem with Persona4. Can't see myself just solely marathoning P4 by itself. Need some variety and I know Burning Skies is short so .....I'm not making this up, promise! (^______^)

zkylon

zkylewd
So far so good. I bought a skin on League of Legends, that about it.

The Christmas sale will be the trial by fire.

Spierek

Week 2:
Games bought - 1
Games finished - 0
Backlog - still loads.
Now playing - Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy

Alright, there's my first purchase since the challenge began, but that doesn't mean I'm out. Bought the game because I had no other 3DS title available, and I was griding the game whenever possible for the last week.

Theatrhythm is a damnably good rhythm game. It stands firm on its own, but all those clever meta-games (party leveling, equipment, abilities, card/music collections, etc.) make it highly addictive. Since my purchase on Monday I've already clocked 20663 Rhythmia, 12/64 Trophies and 13:55h of raw playtime. All the Basic Courses are complete, right now I'm preparing for Experts by finishing Dark Notes (so far these are my favorite part of the game). I intend to keep the game, slowly mastering most of the songs (right now I've got two SSS's on Basic and Expert in The Sunleth Waterscape from FFXIII). Highly recommending it for any 3DS owner, even if you're not a fan of FF.

Right, now let's get back to avoiding any Steam Sales.

Paracelsus

Considering the steam sale doesn't count the last game I purchases was Graces F back in March. I guess I'll keep going until ToX releases or something, unless XSeed gives me a Trailsurprise.

Kamaki

I'm in! Kinda. Gonna give up buying console/PC games for a year, I'm a handheld only guy for the next year. This is mainly because I just got a 3DS as a gift and there's no way I'm not playing that.

Besides Dota 2 and other huge time sinks should stop me buying anymore games.

Ledsen

So I'm considering buying the Civ V DLC, Gods & Kings, even though I haven't played Civ V... I've already got the base game, so it doesn't count. Right guys? Right?

DLC isn't a game and that's not even a proper expansion.

I still don't understand the purpose of this thread when there are exceptions.

zkylon

zkylewd

The point is committing not to further enlarge your backlog, and save up some money in the process. The exceptions are there for those games you absolutely must have and will play immediately upon purchase.

lifa-cobex

Would love to but I can't resist The last of us or gta5.
What happens if The last guardian somehow appeared from the ether of nothingness?

Defiantly gonna cut back though.

Good luck to everyone ;)

Ledsen

Buying less games for your backlog. What's hard to understand about that? Do you have an "everything or nothing" attitude in all areas of your life?

Ledsen

Not at all, but buying less is completely different from not buying. I was commenting on your phrasing.

The challenge is to stop buying games... for you backlog. Any games bought have to be immediately played. I explain the full concept in the OP instead of the title, don't see why that would invalidate the purpose of the thread like you said honestly.

I am in, as long as I can buy P4G and Animal Crossing 3DS when that comes out.

Other than that, no new games until December 2013? I can handle that.

The_Monk

I'm not in but I did something similar to this at the start of this year. I did not buy any game for 8 Months.

Then in this year October-November was when I stopped my "not-buying games", did my purchases and pre-orders and now I'm set again for a very good time. I saved money, played more my games and cleaned a bit my Backlog. It's actually a good idea OP. In my case it was 8 Months but it felt great in every way.

I wish good luck to you all fellow GAffers.

Necrovex

The challenge is to stop buying games... for you backlog. Any games bought have to be immediately played. I explain the full concept in the OP instead of the title, don't see why that would invalidate the purpose of the thread like you said honestly.

You expect people to actually read the OP? Only like half of Gaf is willing to read the OP before posting in a thread.

I've been doing this for about a year now. Well, I slowed down on purchases anyway but I didn't stop 100%. Instead of buying a game or two a month, I've been buying a game every two or three months, avoiding sales (unless they are too ridiculous to pass up) and generally staying strong against new release hype.

I've been marathoning my backlog like crazy to strike games off my list. In the past couple of months I've finished Crysis 2, Dragon Quest 9, Ghost Trick, Asura's Wrath, Cave Story, Beyond Good and Evil HD, Fallout: New Vegas and last night I just finished The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and still had time for work, family and friends.

I started at around 40 and now I only have 11 more games to go and 9 of them are legnthy RPGs including Tales of Symphonia, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Xenoblade, so I may take a little break before I dive back in, even though I can't wait to get started on the next game on my list. It does feel a little like work, but fun work.

Necrovex

I think I'm not going to buy too much this X-mas regarding games. I'm probably going to get Dark Souls on PC to replace my PS3 edition (I have grown to not be a major fan of playing games on my television anymore, partly because of my setup), and use the $50 I have on Steam. Then I am going to join everyone else for the challenge of not increasing my backlog.

I have way too many games in my backlog, so I won't go crazy on sales like I usually do during this time of the year.

Edit: Why do I keep getting the top page post?!

Top Bottom