• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARK SOULS II Announced - [PC/PS3/360 - PR in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted by thecrobar on GameFAQs.

-This the article source for the infamous "we want the skyrim audience" quote. To be perfectly clear, even though this was already known, this quote is from the writers of the article and not From Software.

-Huge leap in graphical quality. The game is compared to Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. Dynamic lighting and smoother animations all around.

-Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

-The unknown nature of the games came from Miyazaki's interest in western fantasy/mythology and his relative inability to read the English text as a child, leaving him to fill in the blanks.

-Miyazaki was disappointed about having to patch Dark Souls, saying that they pushed the game out without being 100% complete. Dark Souls II will be complete when it launches.

-Server based PVP is back (yay!)

-The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

That **** sounds worrying to me. I could just be paranoid since this is one of the last bastions of hardcore gaming being released, but it sounds too much like PR bull ****.

-Miyazaki is working on a new game he can't talk about.

-Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

-The Graphics are shockingly close to the trailer's quality

-According to Shibuya, one of the co-directors, the player's ability to parse meaning from subtle hints or clues will determine the difficulty of the game and the challenges that are there to experience.

-The map is roughly the same size, but has more content and more "areas of interest".

-The notion that Dark Souls needs to evolve was "common". Edge says not to expect a minor update.

-In designing map areas, the main concept was to create areas that had not been in either game.

-Talks of implementing a system that will let you reveal the clues you've learned over the course of the game (wut?)

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

Eusis

Some of that really IS worrying, maybe they should've tried to work something out with Index afterall.

Then again you never know, and it really may be that Miyazaki wanted to make something entirely different and is too caught up in that to really deal with DSII.

Eusis

Honestly, I hope it's Demon's Souls II.
There's only one way that makes sense to me: if SCEI decided they need a decisive killer app for the hardcore, early adopter crowd, and wanted to get that out at or near launch and were willing to pay a lot to make it happen. Otherwise, well, Dark Souls IS "Demon's Souls 2".

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

RIP speedruns

UrbanRats

I need to sit down.

ibvfuQcTTCAPMC.gif

Troubling times.

More.

-The game is a direct sequel to Dark Souls, but will not take place in Lordran. It takes place in the same world, but in a different location.

-Time travel may play a part in the plot, and the "theme" of the game is "time" and "eras"

-Shibuya does not intend to change the controls.

-There may be slight awkwardness coming in from Dark Souls, but people should be able to adapt easily.

-Covenants will return, but be easier to understand

-Dark Souls II will be more straightforward and understandable in regards to gameplay and plot. Sibuya says he enjoyed the way Dark souls handled things, but he feels that there were elements so subtle that almost no one experienced them.

-The game has been in development since September of last year, and work on the patch/DSII was done simultaneously.

-The team for DSII is substantially bigger. The team for world construction is doubled in size, and people have been added in every other area as well.

-The game is roughly 25% complete. Very unlikely to release in 2013.

Either FROM really went all out with their tech staff or it runs at Blighttown framerates throughout or it's a next-gen title or Edge is overhyping the gfx aspect.

Make a game with Unqiue atmosphere that is hard as hell (and only loved because of those 2 things), only when you dont know how to play it. "Hey the game is a success, let us do another game that is for everyone."

Sequel : Has no unique atmosphere (inspired by western stories like King Arthur etc?) that we saw in like 1000 games befor and is easier.

RIP Dark Souls.

dosh

Sibuya says he enjoyed the way Dark souls handled things, but he feels that there were elements so subtle that almost no one experienced them.
I can't say he's wrong about this. I'm not as worried as I thought I would be (except when it comes to the "limiting players options for the early parts of the game"). Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Foffy

Banned
"limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true experience".

Removing all mention of Dark Souls, this sounds eerily similar to what Final Fantasy XIII did...

mxgt

Banned

This better not be true

Eusis

I'm hoping that when he says "too subtle" he's thinking, say, you might get a few more NPCs that'd detail stuff you'd have otherwise gotten from item descriptions, but you still have to actively talk to them, and closing off the system is less FFXIII crap and more like, say, how you had to find a smith in Dark Souls, or the Pyromancer. I still expect a game that'll blow most away, but I fear it'll be diminished relative to the original.

Foffy

Banned
The time frame is what matters.

This is true. But if you look at many games this generation, that time frame is always on the player for way too long before they pop off. The Souls games were infamous for barely having any type of training wheels outside of the first section of the games.

TEH-CJ

Banned
as much as I would like to believe the graphics are cgi quality...I am sorry but it sounds like bullshit to me, unless its running on next gen consoles.

neither demon our dark souls were graphical power houses. Blightown ran at 10fps ffs.

HooYaH

I do think this game will also be available on next-gen systems if its roughly 25% and the mention of graphics comparable to the trailer.

This is true. But if you look at many games this generation, that time frame is always on the player for way too long before they pop off. The Souls games were infamous for barely having any type of training wheels outside of the first section of the games.

I think a very engaging hour of linear gameplay is what I'd be ok with on a first playthrough, if experienced players could get through in about half the time or less. It's good that Undead Asylum was short because it had very little quality content outside of the Asylum Demon. I'm thinking a optionally-tutorialized Demon's Souls 1-1 style of level (in terms of overall size and fun content, but maybe a bit bigger) could work well as an intro stage.

UrbanRats

"drastically close", i would say.

Also the game was being played on PC.

What's this talk i read about the girl in the trailer being a "love interest"? Wat?

Zaventem

-Dynamic lighting
-huge graphical leap ready for next gen
-They says it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
-Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
-Miyazaki says he regrets sending Dark Souls out ahead of time, won't happen for Dark Souls 2
-The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
-The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
-He is working on something else but wouldn't say what
-New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
-Story will be more clear
-In development for 2 months since nov 2011
-bigger team working on the game
-morality system

Sid

-Dynamic lighting
-huge graphical leap on par for next gen
-They says it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
-Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
-Miyzaki says he regrets sending Dark Souls out ahead of time, won't happen for Dark Souls 2
-The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
-The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
-He is working on something else but wouldn't say what
-New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
-Story will be more clear
-In development for 2 months since nov 2011
-bigger team working on the game
-morality system
-Miyazaki is working on a new game.

UrbanRats

Something wrong with gow? ok lemme rephrase that,most of the new details were expected especially the later than 2013 release part.

The release date was the least worrying fact on there.
The terrible quotes from Shibuya about a more guided first part of the game and Scamco kicking Miyazaki in the ass, were the focal point of my grudge.

Also, they want to implement vehicles in the game, what?

I just finished reading the interview and that does not sound good. It really sounds like they're going to change a lot of stuff for the worse; I'm not sure if there was one positive thing in that interview. I can't say I'm very hyped now.

Eusis

Decision by From AND Namco? Crap, really does sound like it could be a case where they shouldn't have signed on with Namco.

... And a morality system? This is going to be more black and white/good and evil, isn't it? :/

Something wrong with gow? ok lemme rephrase that,most of the new details were expected especially the later than 2013 release part.

A lot of people on here seem to think that liking GoW means that you're a fan of bad, overly-simplistic combat, poor level and enemy design and an insatiable and immature desire for blood and gore.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
lol @ FFXIII comparisons. Worrisome bandwagon.

-Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

Sounds MG Risingy. Confirmed Dark Souls 2 reboot by Platinum Games next year.

... And a morality system? This is going to be more black and white/good and evil, isn't it? :/

Good.

Also, they want to implement vehicles in the game, what?[/B]

Told you guys before, Boar and Titanite Demon riding.

UrbanRats

I just finished reading the interview and that does not sound good. It really sounds like they're going to change a lot of stuff for the worse; I'm not sure if there was one positive thing in that interview. I can't say I'm very hyped now.

I don't hate the idea of the chariot executioner chasing you around, bringing some of that world tendency idea around.

Morality doesn't have to necessarily be Mass Effect style, all the Souls game had something similar, be it sins or world tendency.

Also changing whateher, that sounds cool if it impacts the gameplay (like spawns etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom