• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2012 (Voting Ended)

Nert

Previous posts: Botanicula, Tekken Tag Tournament 2

i2zCKIraLA4q6.jpg

Fastfall is the name of the soundtrack for the game Dustforce by the composer Lifeformed (real name: Terence Lee). Got it? Good.
It took me a while to untangle all of that.

The thing about this soundtrack that I find fascinating is that, conceptually, it directly clashes with the game itself. Dustforce is a fact-paced, difficult platforming game that centers around blazing through levels and replaying them to perfect your run. The soundtrack, meanwhile, largely consists of downtempo, soothing, ambient electronic music.

Strangely enough, they work together wonderfully. Instead of trying to pump you up in the way that a game like Super Meat Boy would, Dustforce wants you to relax, focus on what you're doing and enter a sort of zen state. Constantly starting over in an effort to chase after that elusive run that can shave seconds off of your time could quickly become draining, but the soundtrack never lets that happen. It puts me in an entirely different mindset for the genre and I welcome it.

Cider Time, the soundtrack's opening song, provides a clear example of what I'm talking about. In a rare case of YouTube comments being useful and interesting, Lee was there to talk about how he saved this song for some of the game's more harrowing challenges. How could someone possibly be frustrated while this is playing? I love how the song begins to fade out in steps at 1:28 before bouncing right back.

My favorite track from here is Swimming While it Rains. The pitched percussion just manages to rise above the sounds of the rainfall in certain sections, allowing the song to exude the atmosphere of a rainy day without making you feel bogged down in it.

Even though the songs all flow together very well and I would recommend opening up the album and hitting play (instead of hunting for specific tracks), I'll give some quick thoughts on a few other songs as well. Frozen Hot Sauce has a propulsive beat that is a lot of fun to nod along to. Light Pollution is one of the most fun songs of the bunch with its jaunty piano and strings. Running through the levels feels especially light and effortless when It's Not Supposed To Be Snowing is playing.

Dustforce was released at the beginning of this year, so I'm not surprised to see that it hasn't gained a lot of mind share as far as ____ of the year stuff goes. It would make me happy, though, if more people gave it a chance.

Related recommendation: Fez's soundtrack. Both games' soundtracks make for stellar background music while working, studying, or simply browsing the web.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fantastic post on the Dustforce soundtrack, Nert. You picked a lot of the tracks I would've picked. I love Swimming While It Rains too.

I also liked Sepia Tone Laboratory, and I especially love Electric Relic (damn that BGM's so good).

I'd write more, but I'll save that for my own post (lol, I gave one of my choices away).

GhaleonQ

I was waiting for djtiesto's post!

1. Lumines: Electronic Symphony - all of the music is licensed, but they did a perfect job with the licensing (I think it was James Mielke who handled this). The list of artists reads like a "who's who" of the last 20 years of electronic dance music. In fact, some of my favorite songs of all time are on the soundtrack... perhaps the best licensed soundtrack for me since Wip3out.

Gouryella - Gouryella
Deep Dish - The Future of the Future
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Aeroplane - Superstar

2. Hotline Miami - an awesome cross between 80's synthpop, minimal, italodisco, and some quirky, offbeat stuff. Really fits the sleazy undertones of the game, and "Miami Disco" may be one of my favorite game songs of the year. I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay but I kept on playing just because the music was sooooo good.

Pertrubator - Miami Disco
Scattle - Knock Knock
MOON - Hydrogen

3. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - a very eclectic mix of music for an RPG, a genre usually filled with either massive epic symphonies or buttrock... so hearing J-pop, drum & bass (complete with dodgy MCing) and nu-metal on a soundtrack was pretty mindblowing.

Worlds Collide
The Archlyte Steppe
Eternal Fight

Runner up: Forza Horizon - I never even heard of it until my brother brought home for vacation, but the soundtrack has a pretty good roster of licensed electro house and dubstep, even if it's lacking in content.

Madeon - Icarus
Scuba - The Hope
Digitalism - Encore
Rusko - Everyday (Netsky mix)

Preview post:
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4/Bayshore Midnight Maximum Tune 4
http://vgmdb.net/album/30034
Yuzo Koshiro
http://vgmdb.net/artist/148
Never Throw Away
Taillight
Nostalgia

Are you a trance fan? I find that Koshiro tempered the genre's excesses, and it may be my favorite of the series.

Sayah

I'm going to occasionally put in a good word for soundtracks that I don't see getting much attention in this thread (even if I don't end up voting for them), and I'll start things off with Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

jmqe9ZvcIweWb.jpg

I'm far from an expert on the genre, but I tend to not like dubstep music. Like, at all. It doesn't help that video game trailers have been inundated with it lately. This is why I was so surprised to find myself loving Tekken Tag Tournament 2's soundtrack this year. It uses dubstep and other types of electronic dance music in very inventive ways.

For an example of this, listen to my favorite song on the soundtrack, What you will see (Heavenly Garden). Reflecting the transition that takes place in the stage itself, the song takes a sudden turn towards dubstep and a generally rougher sound halfway through, but it doesn't feel out of place at all. Once the two tracks start to play alongside eachother, the effect is really striking.

Tekstep Fountain is another song that comes with a twist: it's dubstep with an orchestral chorus! Akitaka Tohyama's inclusion of the strings here is absolutely brilliant.

Another highlight: the unorthodox, but very relaxing, ending credits theme "Night Falls." The acoustic guitar goes surprisingly well with the electronic pieces.

In addition to the original pieces, the soundtrack also comes loaded with a lot of interesting remixes of older songs. The trancey take on the old Sakura Schoolyard theme is a lot of fun, even with the old one having been so thoroughly burned into my head many years ago.

In short, don't pass this up if you have any interest in at all electronic music. It has some of the most creative arrangements that I've heard from a video game soundtrack in quite a while.
Thank you for this post. Tekken soundtrack definitely deserves a whole lot more attention.

These are the two shining examples of music bliss.
Plucking Tulips
Abyss of Time

And I don't even know what genre these two would fall under.
Your Sunset.
Battle Cry

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yeah, I was going to write something about Labyrinth no Kanata's soundtrack because it really isn't that bad.

I'm not sure which Sakuraba soundtrack I liked this year out of Beyond the Labyrinth and Xillia 2, though. Because outside of the final boss theme for Xillia 2, I thought the rest of the soundtrack was pretty darn good. I think I like the overall product more than the first game, even if the first game had better standout tracks.

EDIT: Nert...
Fantasy Water Margin A Spun Web Of 100 Years
I know that's what 幻想水滸伝 literally means but... ;__;

Ah, I'm kidding. It's just weird to see it all in English.

Haunted

artworks-000028871735-j6hv4x-crop.jpg

1. Hotline Miami ; Perturbator, M O O N, Eirik Suhrke, Sun Araw, El Huervo, Jasper Byrne, Scattle - still a constant in my playlist. The soundtrack that resonated the strongest with me this year, both in the game and outside. A perfect fit for the game's mood and style. Made me check out the other works of the artists and other artists in the same genre.

FTL-Faster-Than-Light-Soundtrack.jpg

2. FTL: Faster Than Light ; Ben Prunty - The ME 1 comparison is spot on. Minimalistic, yet evocative. A good companion on your trek through the vast emptiness of space.

547573.jpg

3. Spelunky ; Eirik Suhrke - This one grew on me over time. I didn't know how much I loved it until I caught myself humming several familiar tunes over and over again at work... and they were all from Spelunky. Also shout out to the randomly inserted chiptune versions, holding true to the spirit of the game and its randomly generated awesomeness.

Honourable mention: Autonomous Prototype ; Camden Stoddard - chalk it up to my 80's synth binge caused by Hotline Miami, but the songs Camden pulled out in two weeks for this DoubleFine Amnesia Fortnight prototype (just three short environmental pieces) are all excellent and found their way into my regular playlist.

AJTsuki

Neo Member
1. Fastfall (Dustforce OST)

I'm sad not to see this OST on more lists. I have no idea how many times I've listened to it, but of all the music I've added to my collection this year, Fastfall is the one I keep going back to.

j2zCKIraLA4q6_e.jpg

Lifeformed (www.lifeformed.bandcamp.com)
Standout Track: Cider Time

2. Dust: An Elysian Tail

I've only started to lose my evenings to Dust: An Elysian Tail, but as soon as I heard the buzz about the game, I downloaded the soundtrack from bandcamp. It's been on repeat ever since. It's extraordinary!

jA0yQIsC1nAq2.png

HyperDuck (www.hyperduck.bandcamp.com/album/dust-an-elysian-tail-original-soundtrackl)

3. Fez

Although I listened to Fastfall the most, I probably listened to Fez the most obsessively, overdosing on it while playing the game. I have the same love/hate relationship with it as I do with the game (I was burned by the save file issue). But that doesn't stop me from putting it on my top 3 list. It is just too good.

jQc9ySKOjakxF_e.jpg

Disasterpeace (www.disasterpeace.com/album/fez)
Standout Track: Forgotten

---

These were my first picks, but I've spent a lot of time on YouTube the past two weeks sampling as many of the soundtracks from 2012 as I could. I found a few more that I love, and can recommend, but it's these three that I have listened to the most. It's been an amazing year for indie game soundtracks though, hasn't it?

Honorable Mentions:

FTL: Faster Than Light - This is now easily my number four, and I keep wondering if it should be in the top three. Do I really like the Dust OST better? Hmmm... The FTL OST is pretty extraordinary too.

Journey - Without a PS3, I haven't had the opportunity to experience the music in game, but I imagine it's glorious. Although the emotional depth of this OST is remarkable, the scope of it keeps it out of my top three. Definitely one to own though.

Kid Kicarus: Uprising - I'll stick to my assessment that this is a better OST to experience in game, but the more I play and the deeper I get into this game, the more I wonder if it doesn't belong above. It is a really great soundtrack.

Super Hexagon - This OST is limited in tracks, which would normally keep it from a favorites list, but these are some fantastic tracks.

Dear Esther - This is an OST crafted for mood. There's a excellent "Top Score" interview with the composer that's worth seeking out.

Crimson Shroud - Seriously, where did this come from? It's on iTunes for those who want to sample it.

Little Inferno - Just discovered it from this thread, but I'm charmed!

Globulous - Whoa!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
1. Journey
2. Sound Shapes
3. Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Nert

As an arbitrary reminder, I want to let everybody know that they still have nine days left to vote (or alter their votes). If you're curious about any of the soundtracks being discussed here, give them a listen!

EDIT: Nert...

I know that's what 幻想水滸伝 literally means but... ;__;

Hah :D

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'll admit that I haven't even heard of some of the games being included in the archive until GhaleonQ sent me some samples. So yeah, that particular translation gave me a chuckle as well.

GhaleonQ

Man, I still think Lost Planet is 1 of the biggest wasted opportunities of this past generation, but E.X. Troopers (the game and the soundtrack) is throwaway-but-entrancing fun. Check it out, fans of electropop, house, and trance! Make sure that you get the combined gamerip/soundtrack that's out there. There's too much good stuff to exclude any of it.

*laughs* On that note, what does the shoot-'em-up "Kokuga"/哭牙 mean? Crying Fang? JAPAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

jett

D-Member
1. Double Dragon Neon

3860534600-1.jpg

Radical 80's inspired and brotacular music. If you're a child of the 80's there's no way you won't appreciate Jake Kaufman's work.

2. Journey

3. Darksiders II

Honorable mention: Hotline Miami

wouwie

1. Journey ; I can't imagine the game having any other soundtrack than it did. Absolutely wonderful and one of my favourite soundtracks ever
2. Gravity Rush ; An absolutely delightful soundtrack covering many different styles. A perfect fit for the game.
3. Velocity ; A fantastic old school soundtrack that perfectly matched the game

Honorable mentions: Sound shapes, Lumines Electronic Symphony, Pid, Unfinished Swan

Diamond

Unfortunately, don't have time to put as much effort in my list as last year. Thanks for all the cool OST suggestions guys !

1. Fez

show_tralbum_art.jpg

Without a doubt the best of 2012 for me. A enchanting soundtrack which matches perfectly Fez's adventurous atmosphere. The tunes exacerbate the feeling of wonder you feel as you explore each new level of the game. Sometimes it's majestic, sometimes it's nostalgic, sometimes it's appeasing, and sometimes you even play with the notes to complete your objective. A near perfect game/music symbiosis.

- Adventure (Disasterpeace)

- Home (Disasterpeace)
- Compass (Disasterpeace)
- Nature (Disasterpeace)
- Nocturne (Disasterpeace)
- Legend (Disasterpeace)
- Sync (Disasterpeace)
- Reflection (Disasterpeace)

2. Hotline Miami

tumblr_mdigbfyz4U1qhvjado1_cover.png

Again, perfect match for the game it was composed/licenced for. The electronic tracks of Hotline Miami are pulsating, violent, heady. Combined with the many retries you go through during the game and the instant deaths of yourself and your enemies and the unreal, hazy atmosphere, the overall experience put you in a state of light transe which few other games can produce.

- Hydrogen (M.O.O.N.)
- Crystals (M.O.O.N.)
- Deep Cover (Sun Araw)
- Miami (Jasper Byrne)

3. Alan Wake's American Nightmare

alan%20wake%20logo%20square.jpg

Petri Alanko did (again) a fine work on original, instrumental tunes, but I didn't manage to find any of the tracks on teh internets. Fortunately the two great Poets of the Fall original songs composed for the game are on Youtube. I did vote for the Alan Wake soundtrack in Nert and Ghaleon's first SOTY thread and I still think Remedy is damn good to select and produce really cool, entertaining tracks. American Nightmare didn't have the scale of Alan Wake but it was no exception.

- The Happy Song (Poets of the Fall)
- Balance Slays the Demon (Poets of the Fall)

Honorable Mentions
- I'll just link one track for each, but I usually enjoyed the all thing !

Botanicula - Juchu : I love the soundtrack, but unfortunately didn't play the game yet.

Dear Esther - Ascension : poetic...

Dustforce - 9-bit Expedition
: really enjoyed Lifeformed chiptunes on Dustforce and the Double Fine Documentaries.

Journey - Apotheosis : as captivating and emotional as the experience itself. The "apotheosis moment" was one of my greatest gaming moments of the year, and the music played a big part in it.

Lone Survivor - The Director : Jasper Byrne is a great game designer but also a great composer. Next thing I know he'll walk on water !

The Walking Dead - Armed with Death : man, the scene when this music plays... Overall, even if it's not my favourite this year, this OST played its role really well. I also love the ending song, Take us back.

Nert

One week to go! If anyone wants to include cover art in their posts (not required), remember that there is a fairly comprehensive compilation to draw from here. The archive is getting pretty huge at this point, so I might not be able to fit everything into it before the results thread, but rest assured that every soundtrack mentioned in this thread (and many more) will be present in the final version.

I'm hoping to have my own vote locked down in the next couple of days.

GhaleonQ

I'll be done then, too.

Right now, before exercising and going out with friends to celebrate a successful 2012, I am listening to music from a game about taking pictures of potential girlfriends, solely because Noriyuki Iwadare composed it.

VIDEO GAMES.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know what to do anymore (and I think Nocturnowl's having a similar issue).

I've realized that there hasn't been a soundtrack that I fell deeply in love with this year, and it's eerily mirroring my GotY internal discussion where I don't have a game of the year. Nothing really stands out in terms of saying, "yes, this is the bestest!"

Ugh, this is harder than I had expected.

does mighty switch force count?

Release date(s)
Nintendo 3DS
WW December 22, 2011

Wii U
NA November 18, 2012
PAL December 6, 2012
Should probably check in with Nert for that if it's the exact same soundtrack. This is partially why I knocked Persona 4: Golden's soundtrack off my list despite being another small additional soundtrack being sold at retail. MSF!'s soundtrack falls into that Xenoblade category to me.

If you wanted to be safe, I'd leave it as an honourable mention at best, considering it emerged as a last minute candidate that sparked discussion last year:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34122482&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post34122482
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34211770&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post34211770
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33904710&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post33904710
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33887314&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post33887314
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33868000&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post33868000
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33846537&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post33846537
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33846334&highlight=mighty+switch+force#post33846334

GhaleonQ

I've realized that there hasn't been a soundtrack that I fell deeply in love with this year, and it's eerily mirroring my GotY internal discussion where I don't have a game of the year. Nothing really stands out in terms of saying, "yes, this is the bestest!"

Hm. I looked at last year's picks and honorable mentions. I can't find Conception's soundtrack anywhere, but that's by the same team of 2 that did your number 2. http://vgmdb.net/album/32182 The samples were very good.

Otherwise, yeah, if Botanicula didn't hit your Rayman spot, I can't argue that the standard orchestral role-playing game soundtracks really grabbed me by the collar (mostly). I just finished Legasista; it's high-quality, but not as good as Classic Dungeon. Lightning 11 might have its weakest soundtrack. Fantasy Life WOULD be right there for you, but it came out 4 days ago and the pack-in soundtrack only has 3 Uematsu songs on it (and gamerips aren't possible). There are a couple in my top 20, but you would have already heard them.

I won't reveal my nearly-completed list, but it's heavy on electronic genres. It might just be a weak year for your tastes.

Release date(s)
Nintendo 3DS
WW December 22, 2011

Wii U
NA November 18, 2012
PAL December 6, 2012

Hm. Let me consult with Nert. Though special edition re-releases don't count, I would add that, yes, the HD version included new tracks, as well.

This is something that needs definitive settling, as more and more are trying to squeeze them in at the end of the year. Toki Tori 2 was going to happen. The new Corpse Party's Japanese release was yesterday, there's Fantasy Life, Inazuma 11, The Legend Of Riki; publishers are going deep into December at this point.

I regret not having Frontier Gate's last year (I see that Dark Schala noted it that year as an honorable mention), so I included it as a bonus, non-voting pick for this year (when Nert has time to upload my 3 tracks).

GhaleonQ

(The composer of what we know as Dokuro and Illusion Of Gaia just sent me personal thanks and happy new year wishes, uninitiated. NO BIG DEAL.)

Total soundtrack count for me: 111, most of it in 3 weeks. Whew.

My top 10 list is weird, but such is 2012. I'll post my list tonight or late tomorrow.

I'm sending Nert my final updates now, and we'll discuss how to move forward from here. Get your last minutes votes in. Your vacations are OVER, so you had best be done!

I don't know what to do anymore (and I think Nocturnowl's having a similar issue).

Indeed I am but I'll just have to crack on with what I have, I feel like i've got one kind of expected choice, a pretty unexpected choice that might make people think I went a bit mad and finally a soundtrack that I feel could've been better but was pretty good on the whole.
At least that makes things sort of interesting, I better start on this list tonight.

Nert

Hello again, everyone! I'm doing a lot of catch-up work with the thread today now that I've recovered from last night, so expect to see several new additions to the archive.

Unfortunately, don't have time to put as much effort in my list as last year. Thanks for all the cool OST suggestions guys !

Regardless, I still enjoyed your post. Alan Wake's American Nightmare is in the archive now, too.

Man, I still think Lost Planet is 1 of the biggest wasted opportunities of this past generation, but E.X. Troopers (the game and the soundtrack) is throwaway-but-entrancing fun. Check it out, fans of electropop, house, and trance! Make sure that you get the combined gamerip/soundtrack that's out there. There's too much good stuff to exclude any of it.

I just gave some of this soundtrack a listen and it's definitely fun stuff. After Tekken Tag Tournament 2, it's probably my favorite original music of its type this year.

Release date(s)
Nintendo 3DS
WW December 22, 2011

Wii U
NA November 18, 2012
PAL December 6, 2012

Because there is new material on the soundtrack, we'll allow it, especially because we didn't clearly outline rules regarding updated ports of games at the thread's outset. For now, I'll put my faith in the honor system and assume that people aren't looking for loopholes to vote for music that they already would have (or could have) voted for in prior threads.

I think that we'll include a short survey in the results thread with questions regarding soundtrack eligibility so we can get more of a consensus opinion before writing up stricter rules for next year.

A lot of the soundtracks that I feel strongly about this year are low-key and kind of mellow, so I'd say that I'm experiencing a different kind of enjoyment. Instead of pumping my fist and exclaiming "this is fucking great" like I did with Pac-Man Championship Edition DX and Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm blissfully floating along in some kind of dream-like state.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. I looked at last year's picks and honorable mentions. I can't find Conception's soundtrack anywhere, but that's by the same team of 2 that did your number 2. http://vgmdb.net/album/32182 The samples were very good.
I was on the hunt for that soundtrack, actually. I should've bought it when I had the chance when I was ordering a bunch of other stuff. Ugh, it's not like I can place an order for it right now and ask them to ship it express because it won't get here in time. (And I'm planning on posting mine on the 5th or the evening of the 4th.)

Otherwise, yeah, if Botanicula didn't hit your Rayman spot, I can't argue that the standard orchestral role-playing game soundtracks really grabbed me by the collar (mostly). I just finished Legasista; it's high-quality, but not as good as Classic Dungeon. Lightning 11 might have its weakest soundtrack. Fantasy Life WOULD be right there for you, but it came out 4 days ago and the pack-in soundtrack only has 3 Uematsu songs on it (and gamerips aren't possible). There are a couple in my top 20, but you would have already heard them.
I've decided to give the Botanicula soundtrack another listen, but for some reason it isn't jiving with me. I have yet to listen to Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4 because I worship the very ground that Koshiro walks on. A lot of the RPG soundtracks I've listened to haven't blown me away, so that's disappointing (Nayuta no Kiseki is going to be on the list somewheres, though. And so is Xillia 2--but I have to find a way to write a description that doesn't ruin the first game or the second game for people, and that's kind of difficult to do when I want to explain why parts of the soundtrack are jazzy and other parts are not).

I think the first Classic Dungeon soundtrack was the best one, but that's just my opinion.

I regret not having Frontier Gate's last year (I see that Dark Schala noted it that year as an honorable mention), so I included it as a bonus, non-voting pick for this year (when Nert has time to upload my 3 tracks).
Yeah, it was surprisingly pretty good and I ended up getting a copy for myself (I have a Frontier Gate DLC code that I have no idea what I'm going to do with considering I've only played the demo). Two composers on that album had a hand in the excellent Genso Suikoden Tierkreis soundtrack, so I expected that it was going to be good. I like the samples they used a lot.

It's better than the Genso Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century soundtrack, which didn't have anyone on the Tierkreis team working on it. The Higashino credit is just for the original composition which Seiichi Takamoto arranged. I'm not calling the soundtrack bad, because I liked it:

The music isn’t as good as Tierkreis’s massive soundscape, which spanned several CDs, but it’s good enough. A lot of the people on this soundtrack aren’t people I’ve heard very much of (they had a few Tierkreis composers working on Frontier Gate’s soundtrack, which is pretty good). The theme song, The Giving Tree, is very good. I think it’s better than Tierkreis’s, and feels kind of consistent in tone and vocalist tone colour with some of the old games’ theme songs, but it has more of a ‘pop’-ish feel. With that said, it’s a very decent song with a good tempo, especially for the chorus, which I think is quite well-composed.

I’m not sure if the soundtrack is on YouTube, otherwise I’d post samples. The Beginning Theme, which is in every single Genso Suikoden game, is, uh, it makes me feel pretty happy to hear because they managed to slip a tribute to “Into a World of Illusions” in there and selected some decent samples to make the instrumentation good, and lets the composition shine. It’s very good. The World Map theme “To the Yet Unseen World” is good as well. Again, good samples, good composition, and when it goes into the “main” bit, it’s very reminiscent of a regular old Suikoden game, with that woodwind, piano, and keyboard voice.

The battle theme, “An Opponent Blocking Your Way”, is one that I’m not super-hot about. It starts off a little slow, and goes into a melody that I really like, and then it moves into a portion that I’m not enthusiastic about. It isn’t messy, but it isn’t really my thing either. The loop takes long to come back to (1:30), so since you’re likely going to finish battles quickly, you might not get to the nice bit. The Victory theme makes me smile because it’s exactly what you think it is with this game’s variation of it.

There are several versions of the HQ theme, which each corresponding to the time of day. It’s pretty decent. Lotsa woodwind in the noon one, and it sounds pretty. As for the town themes, if you’re used to instrumental variation from the older games, you’ll like this one. I didn’t find one that hit me as hard as Porpos from Tierkreis, but they’re all good. Maybe Multillion might come close to it, because I think the theme is very sweet and the instrument samples are very good.

No, the strategy theme doesn’t call back to the strategy theme from either II or V. But it’s a decent composition on its own.

I’m sure the soundtrack itself will worm itself into my Soundtrack of the Year 2012 post either as an honourable mention or a Top 3, so be on the lookout for a more in-depth post about it, I guess.
...but that's not going to happen because I already knocked it off my list altogether. It's not even in the honourable mentions, so at least I found that there were better soundtracks this year? *shrug* It's a shame, because I think at the time I really wanted to talk about the soundtrack but there wasn't a thread that catered to that sort of thing. Mind you, I wrote that in May, so even at that time, I felt that there weren't a lot of soundtracks I liked.

(The composer of what we know as Dokuro and Illusion Of Gaia just sent me personal thanks and happy new year wishes, uninitiated. NO BIG DEAL.)
Lucky yoooooou. Oh, that's right. I still need to play Dokuro!

A lot of the soundtracks that I feel strongly about this year are low-key and kind of mellow, so I'd say that I'm experiencing a different kind of enjoyment this year. Instead of pumping my fist and exclaiming "this is fucking great" like I did with Pac-Man Championship Edition DX and Xenoblade Chronicles, I'm blissfully floating along in some kind of dream-like state.
I agree, and some of that links nicely with the GotY selections. Stuff like Journey, The Walking Dead, Katawa Shoujo, Virtue's Last Reward, etc. are being put on a lot of lists, some at the very top, but for some of them, the soundtracks go towards calming the player as opposed to being set to a scene to pump them up.

Dustforce is amazing though~

Famassu

Oh, I had wondered why there wasn't a VGOSTOTY thread this year but it seems I had just missed it. But aaaaaaaaaah, only a top 3 for the year?! Damn, that's going to be impossible for me. Even a bump to Top 5 would make it a bit easier, but still nigh on impossible. People can be all "these three are miles above others this year", but that simply won't be true. Such a phenomenal year, again, for VG music. Personally, each one of these could or should be included in the Top 3. :S

Journey
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Gravity Rush
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Nintendo Land
Time Travelers
Persona 4: Golden
Armored Core V
Botanicula
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Giana Sisters
Crimson Shroud
Darksiders II
Fez
Hotline Miami
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Sound Shapes
Beyond the Labyrinth
Dustforce

ubercheez

1. Final Fantasy XIII-2
2. Journey
3. Dustforce

I should note that I haven't even played Dustforce, but I decided to give the OST a listen after reading Nert's excellent post above and fell in love with it. That's pretty impressive since a big part of VGM appreciation for me is that it evokes memories of enjoyable gaming moments.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Taking a break from self-imposed homework to post this. Man, before I start, it's going to be really hard to talk about this soundtrack without spoiling the first game and the portion of the second game I've played. But I'll try not to.

Other writeups:
Time Travelers (Hideki Sakamoto)

a4OdZ.jpg

Last year I had decided that the Tales of Xillia Original Soundtrack (it's somewhere near the bottom) was one of my honourable mentions. I still feel like I made a good decision there, despite it essentially being one of those soundtracks that I feel isn't cohesive enough but has some standout tracks like the boss theme Believe in Me, the School DLC battle theme, the town theme A City of Another Civilization, and the final boss theme Battle for a Future to Believe In to make it warrant a mention.

Tales of Xillia 2 has issues in terms of pacing and game design/structure (of course, that's just my opinion, I know others feel much differently to the point of thinking that it's one of the best games in the series), but the soundtrack isn't one of its problems at all. Actually, I think the Tales of Xillia 2 Original Soundtrack is more cohesive than the previous game's soundtrack. Sakuraba's the only composer for this soundtrack yet again, thank goodness, so that's likely why we got a more cohesive soundtrack with less dud tracks. It perhaps also helps that he composed the last soundtrack by himself too because that soundtrack also gets a lot of mileage in this game and it sounds like it fits in.

This song isn't on the soundtrack proper but it's worth mentioning considering it has its own single CD, has been used in promotional materials, is the OP song, and it gets a few arrangements on the soundtrack. I remember saying a while ago that "Song 4 u" wasn't as good as the previous game's opening song "Progress", and I kind of stick by that. Progress fit better with the OP animation, and I felt it had more meaning to it than this one. The song title fits the story of the game, but man the song's lyrics are more out of a love song when they should be more platonic, I guess? Also, lyrics like this:
2 u, yeah
信じてる 信じられてる
4 u, yeah

Translation:
2 u yeah
I believe, I'm able to believe
4 u yeah

oh lawd why.

Moving on... the usual Tales title screen theme is supposed to be this bombastic thing with orchestrated samples, but here it takes a darker turn (it goes so well with the dark purple title screen), with flute and xylophone samples added to Sakuraba's usual bombastic stuff and those synth voices he likes to use a lot to assist in creating a grave atmosphere. Makes sense because the game is supposed to have one of the darkest narratives in the series.

I really love the night town theme Peaceful Evidence. A lot of the instrumentation (the electric piano) sounds a lot like it'd easily fit into a Shadow Hearts game. The reason why there's a lot of jazzy instruments and jazzy sounds won't be evident to you until you play the last quarter of Tales of Xillia, but just know that it fits in incredibly well here. In fact, I think the jazzy tunes on both Xillia soundtracks are some of Sakuraba's best compositions, and it's a genre he should try to adhere to for a while rather than going all bombastic like he usually does.

Continuing with the jazzy themes, you have The Hollow City, The Bridge that Leads to the World, World Wide Business Clanspia Inc, and The Agents that Plot. I love The Agents that Plot despite it mostly being percussion and bass. But hey, that's what I like a lot and it isn't repetitive. It's something you'd hear in a seedy bar. I like the synth used in the Clanspia BGM a lot; good samples, and I can't place where I've heard something like that before, but it reminds me of that. I'm sure it'll come to me after I finish the post, and then I'll edit it in sometime, because I really like it. The Bridge that Leads the World mirrors another BGM on the soundtrack that I won't list because its name is a bit of a spoiler, and it's pretty boring in comparison (take this composition, and then fit Sakuraba's usual instrumentation in there and you'll have the BGM; it's boring in comparison, right?). Bridge doesn't sound that awesome at first because the pacing is kind of weird and the instrumentation might be a little weird as a result, but it grows on you and then you feel like it's the perfect mix of seafaring delight mixed with jazz and a small piano section. As for The Hollow City, the percussion (all of the percussion) and bass blend in such a way that it creates this dank and oppressive atmosphere, which makes sense considering the place it plays in is a bit of a slum.

A Collapsing Everyday and Artes Not Yet Known are two dungeon themes that I feel are worth mentioning. The first one is used quite a bit (when the Xillia 1 dungeon themes aren't being used >.>), and the second one is used in this research facility (which means that Sakuraba kind of had to take a few liberties with that one rather than turn it into all of his other dungeon themes). I think it ended up turning out to be a decent experiment. The synth isn't overbearing and it's pleasurable to listen to.

Now to the battle themes. Some of these I like more than the original Xillia battle themes, and others are just there. But the boss themes are so much better than the Xillia boss themes. There were maybe two good Xillia boss themes including the final boss theme on the previous soundtrack. The regular boss theme wasn't good. Let's start from the bottom and work ourselves to to the boss themes, though.

Keep Pushing Until the Sword is Exhausted, Continue Protecting, With Hammer in Hand, and Go Through Like a Bullet are the three regular battle themes in this game when things are progressing regularly in this game. Gosh, doesn't that third one sounds familiar? The intro, at least? Oh Sakuraba, you so silly. The synth organ work is still really nice in that one. I'm not incredibly fond with the second one, because I think it's a little boring outside of the bits where Sakuraba inserts a string melody backed by some of his synth brass instruments. Keep Pushing Until the Sword is Exhausted is probably the one that everyone might recognize. Nice lead synth (and backing brass synth), and great lead and backing piano. My favourite part is the bit where synth and piano start playing their little melody together halfway through the first loop up until the BGM is supposed to loop. More of Sakuraba's battle themes should take a little risk like this because the reward of not sounding like a general homogenized Sakuraba battle theme is great.

Corpse Shell Release is probably something more along the lines of what we're used to hearing from Sakuraba. Synth choral work, synth brass, bombastic stuff... the works. Thank goodness it appears mostly when you're using Ludger's equivalent of a devil trigger or during some scenes because I find it kind of repetitive.

For the Right World is a regular battle BGM that plays when, uh, things aren't going regularly in the game's dungeons (this is me trying to be vague). It's Sakuraba's attempt at a rock theme that doesn't sound completely like his usual rock battle themes. I kinda like it, because the percussion is really good. It isn't overbearing, and the pacing is very good.

Break the Time Factor is one of the major boss themes in the game, much like Believe in Me was in the previous game. This means that it's only played in certain boss fights integral to the narrative's plot. I fucking love the bassline and the percussion in this, especially when the strings and brass synth aren't overwhelming those two instruments. It's probably the best boss BGM on the entire album outside of maybe a few other spoilery ones. The Time to Counter Attack Has Come is the standard boss theme that kind of reminds me of something out of Sonic Unleashed because of the samples used, and when the brass synth break down into another section, it sounds so goooooooood. These boss themes are way better than the Xillia ones ('cept the final boss theme and Believe in Me).

As for the final battle theme, I don't like it at all (not going to link it because I suspect that it's a spoiler and while I don't care, a lot of others might). I'm told that it fits very well within context, but when you go from the final battle theme I linked above to that poor excuse for a final battle theme with poor samples and mixing, I have to ask what the heck is wrong with you that you've decided to cap the game off with that. That... thing with bad percussion. I don't like it. Ugh.

So, that's the Tales of Xillia 2 soundtrack. I don't know if it's going on my list or if it's going to go into the honourable mentions or if it's going to be left off the list altogether. But I think it's pretty good. Even the scene/character BGMs like Annoying Young Girl and Elle is Elle work out nicely.

PS: Am I also allowed to list an LTTP soundtrack that goes several years back because there's lots I want to say about it and I feel like this is the only thread I can write about it in. :|

Nert

Previous posts: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Botanicula, Dustforce

idjNAE1FUba92.jpg

The sheer volume of high quality game soundtracks floating around in the ether is an embarrassment of riches. There is a lot of craft and care that goes into music that I might never hear for games that I may never play, and with the amount of time that I invest into this stuff, that can be distressing. On the other hand, when I *do* luck out and stumble into one of these gems, it can be a treat. Case in point: Globulous.

Andrew Aversa (“zircon”) and Jeff Ball have created something inspired for something relatively uninspired. Not having played the game, I don’t have anything negative to say about it, but the sales pitch of “another iOS puzzle game inspired by Tetris” is far from enticing. The soundtrack, on the other hand, clearly has a vision behind it. Just take a look at this snippet from the album’s Bandcamp page:

Our inspirations for this soundtrack were really varied, ranging from the soft ambience of Machinarium's score, the electro-acoustic fusion of Bastion, and the retro flavor of NES-era chiptunes and basic synths. Creating a cohesive style took experimentation; we played off of each other's techniques and compositional styles. We wanted the music to be exciting and interesting, without being too chaotic or distracting.

Name dropping Machinarium’s soundtrack is an easy way to pique my interest, but the important things to take away from this are the ideas of experimentation and interplay. The two composers draw from a diverse array of sounds and styles to create something unexpected. Violin, chiptunes, piano, harpsichord, synths, guitar and more seamlessly mingle with one another as the soundtrack gradually builds in tempo and urgency, matching a puzzle game’s progression.

If you listen to only one song from this post, make it Thicket Prism. In addition to being a phenomenal piece of music, it is the most illustrative of the duo’s overall approach. Ball’s violin solo thrives in a rich backdrop of synths and strings, creating a stirring melody that takes off at the 45 second mark. I have listened to this song over a dozen times today and I’m still replaying it.

Aurora Magnitude, another collaboration between the two, serves as another showcase for Ball’s violin in its latter half. The song as a whole is more aggressive than Thicket Prism, shedding some of Prism’s mysterious ambience for a more prominent electronic beat.

Aversa’s Stone Clockwise plays like a love letter to the 8-bit music of yore. The softer ambient synths work wonderfully with the more strident chiptune sounds, helping to smooth them out while maintaining their distinctive flavor.

I’ll highlight one more track here: Vapor Radian. The harpsichord really, really pops against the synths. Game soundtracks or otherwise, I can’t think of any other song that sounds quite like this one.

This music doesn’t deserve to be lost in a veil of obscurity. Give it a listen, will ya?

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising

jbvdGz4zHizu1M.jpg

The composer lineup for Uprising immediately gives its soundtrack presence, with both old themes from the NES game given the orchestrated treatment and many more new tracks making their mark with a variety of styles Pit’s journey feels both bold and new while also slightly nostalgic.
Stage themes are broken up into two main approaches like the stages themselves are from a gameplay standpoint, the on rails flight sections favour a much more cinematic piece that runs the full 5 or so minutes working in unison with the action in game, meanwhile on ground music is handled more traditionally in looping form with more melodic hooks often drawing their main melody from a portion of the flight sections music though in some cases the track is unique to the ground sections.
While it leans towards more standard orchestration for the majority of the soundtrack there’s quite a bit of variety in here from spanish guitar heavy themes invoking an old Western feel to something I can only describe as the splicing of sci-fi and big band music.
It all pulls together cohesively to create a very well rounded soundtrack that hits a lot of high notes, while I’d say it stops short of outright knocking it out of the park it comes very close and as a whole earns my top spot this year.

The Main Theme for Uprising is a more typical orchestrated affair, majestic and rather whimsical, it’s a great theme to serve as the soundtracks main focal point, what really helps put it over as my favourite is that in a way it’s not alone, the second menu theme is a far more relaxed and lovely remix of the main theme and one you’ll likely hear the most tinkering around Uprising’s menus, both are fantastic and which one I prefer really depends on the mood I’m in.

You don’t think I’d mention the whole sci-fi big band without elaborating further, the ground theme from Chapter 15: Aurum Island instantly stands out among the soundtrack with it’s distinct approach, the electronic focused slow build that’s typical fare for the stages futuristic like theme suddenly explodes into a bold brass band and in turn carves itself a memorable place within the soundtrack.

Magnus’ Theme is powerful and possibly the most highly regarded track in Uprising if I’m not mistaken, it carries a heroic air about it, the mesmerizing vocal chanting works well for when the track briefly slows down and it all comes back together to deliver a grand finish.

To give the more cinematic side of things some representation I’d go with The Ring of Chaos/Three Years, it’s actually a revamped remix of an earlier theme for the Goddess of Nature with a more chaotic and urgent edge, the slow shift to the choral climax is what cements this as my main cinematic choice.

And that boss theme, oh my yes!

Uprising’s soundtrack feels almost too grandiose for a handheld, it seems like the type of score reserved for big budget console blockbusters but Uprising is anything but a small game, it’s fully loaded with a soundtrack to match, Pit ‘s return is enhanced further by the grand music accompanying him, to think that it’s going to be another 25 years until we get this soundtracks sequel.

Related Recommendations: Nintendo's most noteworthy orchestrated work is no doubt the Super Mario Galaxy duo so there's always them but really i'm not sure what i'd put here. Motoi Sakuraba seems to have done the bulk of the music and he's got like hundreds of soundtracks to his name of fluctuating quality, hey you could go look at that Tales of Xillia 2 post over there!

2. Katawa Shoujo

5MKJw.jpg

A surprising game for myself for numerous reasons, the soundtrack being one of the most pleasant surprises of them all and pleasant is a term that does well to describe the general feeling I get from Katawa Shoujo’s soundtrack. KS is pretty piano heavy which is a plus in my book, full of uplifting, soothing and also melancholy themes to compliment the various tales the game tells.
Each of the central characters has their own distinct theme to match up with their personalities from upbeat jazzy numbers to elegant piano pieces, the rest of the soundtrack wraps itself around events, locations and even the time of day with each theme doing a great job of helping set these scenes.
What puts Katawa Shoujo over for me is the feel good vibe it gives me, it’s relaxing and refreshing and if I may be completely sappy for a moment when it heads down the sombre route it manages to tug on the heart strings, actually it can do that with the more lighthearted themes as well.

Making a good first impression is always a plus, Katawa Shoujo’s title theme Wiosna, is a short but oh so sweet piece that joins the elite club of title/menu themes that outright prevents me from starting up the game because I need to stop and listen, a very welcoming theme if I say so myself.

Not every character theme is all sunshine and rainbows, Painful History is the character theme for the scarred and shy Hanako, a sorrowful song that drives home that she’s a more troubled character with a past that negatively impacts her more than the other leading ladies, you know sometimes it’s almost nice to feel sad.

For a character theme quite unlike the previous, The Student Council is a jaunty and upbeat piece of music for the duo of Misha and Shizune, I don’t know what to say aside from I just really like this one, it makes me jolly so good on it.

Lastly I’ll highlight Innocence, an event theme that I think manages to be uplifting with almost a hint of sadness behind it or maybe that’s just me, sentimentally satisfying, okay that’s enough of my mushy antics.

The “enigmatic box of sound” is one of the more unexpected choices out there that’ll likely drift under the radar not just this year but in the grand scheme of game soundtracks but it stands as one of my highlights from this year with its enchanting pieces of music that offers a nice change from what I’m used to.
Plus it's FREE like the game itself, bargain!

Related Recommendation: At a stretch i'm going to say Kirby's Epic Yarn with its emphasis on soothing piano tunes.

3. Skullgirls

j5zfdeRnjVIHM.jpg

I love this art by the way

The Skullgirls soundtrack could be considered a slightly unexpected take on a soundtrack within the fighting game genre, a moody mix of jazz and grim Castlevania like themes leads me to coin the exciting and clearly inspired term of “Jazzvania”, not too surprising considering Machiru Yamane’s work on the soundtrack, she may have stepped out from Dracula’s domain but her signature style remains and more importantly it does very well to fit the mood Skullgirls is going for.
Alongside Yamane’s stage themes there’s a host of tracks to fit various story mode scenes by Vincent Diamante who brings in a greater jazz emphasis in various forms from upbeat, somber and tense approaches and lastly there’s the menu themes by the duo of Brenton Kossak and Blaine McGurty which have a rather relaxing toned down jazz (again) style which do well to set the scene and style of Skullgirls.

So as you may have gathered Jazz is kind of a thing here in the Skullgirls soundtrack and one of the main reasons it clicks with me, on top of that I’m a big fan of Yamane’s Castlevania soundtracks so getting to hear her music once more made this a soundtrack that instantly grabbed my attention.

Paved with good intentions is a laboratory stage theme from Yamane that gives me some major “Portrait of Ruin” vibes in particular and is my top track from Skullgirls. It’s pretty unique compared to most of the soundtrack due to dropping the jazz stylings for a sinister electronic approach

On the other side of the coin Return to Normalcy is a relatively upbeat piano focused theme from Diamante, the percussion here alongside the piano work makes it my favourite non stage theme in the game and one that I think falls to the wayside in the wake of the various other jazzy themes in the soundtrack.

Jumping back to stage themes, The Seat of Power feels like the furthest away Yamane moves from the Castlevania style I keep speaking of and headfirst into Skullgirls more jazz orientated themes (how many more times am I going to say Jazz?), while perhaps not a theme that immediately fits with a brawl it eventually won me over being that one track that I initially didn’t think that much of before creeping right up my ranks, what can I say? I really like that organ.

One more tune to represent Kossak and McGurty, the main menu theme Pedestrians Crossing, I was trying to think of a way to describe it and then noted youtube comments coming to my rescue with “classy”, why yes that’ll do nicely.

Skullgirls creates a moody jazz fueled experience that manages to find itself working quite well with zany characters knocking the hell out of each other, as a new fighting game IP it has a hard time getting attention with this years stiff competition within the genre but it's got a lot of (skull) heart and soul in it and that certainly extends to the strong soundtrack as well.

Related Recommendation: In a not so unexpected example, Yamane's Castlevania soundtracks but specifically the DS entries that have a stronger style match up.

Honourable Mentions

Hotline Miami: A soundtrack strong enough that i've actually yet to play the game at all yet I still feel the need to give it a shout out, while it's mostly licensed music meaning that i'd probably just drop it down here in HM's anyway the soundtrack has undeniably made an impact with people, i'd like to say it suits the game perfectly but well I wouldn't know, I have to just take other peoples word for it but I can tell it packs a wallop.

Fez: Chilled out music with a retro inspiration that perfectly compliments the world Fez takes place in.

Dust: I gave this one the works earlier so here it is.

New Super Mario Bros 2 and Sonic 4 Episode 2: Because Schala would be upset if I missed out on these! memorable Dying Duck synths for Sonic and rehashed Bah filled bonanzas in NSMB2, platformers have never sounded so unique!

Okay a serious final one, while I haven't played the game i've noticed I enjoy most Gravity Rush tracks people have linked in music threads, it would possibly be a contender for me but I haven't really taken the time out to listen to it, but here's a mention anyway.

Right I think i'm done, thankfully, that was bloody exhausting, NEVER AGAIN!

Top Bottom