• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 demo available for 360 and PS3

Cudder

Clunkier controls? Not only did they copy action sequences from Uncharted, but they also copied the control shift that Uncharted had from 2-3.

Mupod

Keep in mind that this demo is basically what we showed at E3 last year and is only representative of a tiny part in the middle of the game (minus any weapons you would have made) and with a bunch of demo-y stuff added. As usual for us we put out effectively anti-GAF demos.

I liked the demo for 2, it's been a while but I remember it being just slightly different enough from the main game that it actually faked me out once or twice. I think there was a necromorph in the elevator or something that wasn't in the full version. So when I got to that place in the main game with crap health and no ammo I sat there with my butt cheeks furiously clenched the whole time wondering when it'd pop out. I like that kind of stuff, sort of a reverse spoiler. Which is why I'm actually going to play this demo instead of continue my media blackout.

Or rather I'd LIKE to play the demo but by the time it finishes downloading I have to leave again...ungghgh.

Amir0x

Banned
wow they really destroyed Dead Space if this demo is any indication. Complete garbage

I think this is pretty symptomatic of what has happened to EA these days. There was a short time frame when it seemed they were listening to gamers and sometimes even getting rewarded for it... creating new and engaging IPs and taking risks. Then for some reason they either stopped taking those risks or they changed the IPs they had into even more lame, non-interactive checklist shit, and slowly eroded what little good will they had started to build.

Dead Space was really fucking good. What was so wrong about it that they needed to demolish the gameplay focus/flow and controls? There are already few enough games like the original Dead Space, but here we go... just destroy the appeal altogether. It's like a somewhat less egregious Tomb Raider as far as the demo shows.

They actually are the same, we didn't change any of the tuning/code/speeds at all for main aiming. The controls are the same except for a couple of additions (crouching, roll). Originally at E3 we had more new stuff but we took it out because we didn't like it.

One difference is that the AI is a lot more aggressive. In the previous Dead Space games there are a lot of states on the Slasher enemies where they just stand there waiting for you to shoot them. In Dead Space 3 once you start building your guns with things like stasis effects on the projectiles (and especially in co-op) it starts to make the game too easy.

Keep in mind that this demo is basically what we showed at E3 last year and is only representative of a tiny part in the middle of the game (minus any weapons you would have made) and with a bunch of demo-y stuff added. As usual for us we put out effectively anti-GAF demos.

Haven't played the demo, but this is interesting. Nice to hear that there will be more space stuff.

codecow

Clunkier controls? Not only did they copy action sequences from Uncharted, but they also copied the control shift that Uncharted had from 2-3.

The controls are identical, there's no additional control lag or anything else sinister happening I think people are just mis-remembering.

atomsk

Party Pooper
wow they really destroyed Dead Space if this demo is any indication. Complete garbage

I think this is pretty symptomatic of what has happened to EA these days. There was a short time frame when it seemed they were listening to gamers and sometimes even getting rewarded for it... creating new and engaging IPs and taking risks. Then for some reason they either stopped taking those risks or they changed the IPs they had into even more lame, non-interactive checklist shit, and slowly eroded what little good will they had started to build.

Dead Space was really fucking good. What was so wrong about it that they needed to demolish the gameplay focus/flow and controls? There are already few enough games like the original Dead Space, but here we go... just destroy the appeal altogether. It's like a somewhat less egregious Tomb Raider as far as the demo shows.

D9Scn.jpg

kingocfs

didn't really care for the demo. predictable jump scares, lack of tension, SHOOTING OTHER HUMANS WITH COVER MECHANICS.

I'll still play the game, but man, not going in with high expectations.

Also pretty bad framerate drops at the first enemy encounter. I know it's a demo but that does not leave a good first impression.

Yeah, that was fucking bad. Was the cover mechanic just the game telling me to crouch, though? Either way, it just doesn't match the pace of the gameplay for me.

Otherwise I thought the rest was okay, I guess. Didn't give off the same vibe as DS2. It wasn't scary at all, but it didn't seem like it was even trying - and that's a huge bummer.

One more thing, this game has a very wide variety of environments way more so than either of the two previous games; it is also much longer. If you like space and such we have you well covered. There are also some neat surprises.

Thanks for the info. I love Dead Space 1+2 . I'll keep my pre-order then.

Amir0x

Banned
Haven't played the demo, but this is interesting. Nice to hear that there will be more space stuff.

Anti-GAF demos. Heh. Is this what people want from demos, then?

I'm really suspect that the actual game will be so significantly different from the demo that the problems that exist are simply because they created some anti-GAF play thing. But we'll see.

atomsk said:
*money image*

Yeah but Dead Space didn't even do badly! And since it was a franchise, plenty of time to build up intensity of fanbase into something really profitable without resorting to un-Dead Space like gameplay/flow. I don't know... I just don't get this industry anymore. It's losing me completely with their antics.

codecow

Dead Space was really fucking good. What was so wrong about it that they needed to demolish the gameplay focus/flow and controls?

There is plenty of "classic" Dead Space to be had in the full game, hours and hours of it. As was leaked in the achievements there is even an entire game mode called
"Pure Survival"

Duxxy3

People like Frank Gibeau is what happened to EA.

Ya know, the guy that won't greenlight single player games (at all)?

Watering down the meat of the series so they can add an ugly appendage on.

Amir0x

Banned
There is plenty of "classic" Dead Space to be had in the full game, hours and hours of it. As was leaked in the achievements there is even an entire game mode called
"Pure Survival".

I hope you're right. That's what developers have kept saying about Tomb Raider and so far 0% of the game is like "classic" Tomb Raider. But you know more about the game than I do, obviously, so I'll have to take you at your word. I really like the Dead Space series and don't need to see yet another really unique franchise evaporate under growing industry trends, ya know?

Also, re: the mode... not sure what that entails, exactly, but if it just means a game like this demo but with higher difficulty, that's not really solving the problem :p

codecow

I hope you're right. That's what developers have kept saying about Tomb Raider and so far 0% of the game is like "classic" Tomb Raider. But you know more about the game than I do, obviously, so I'll have to take you at your word. I really like the Dead Space series and don't need to see yet another really unique franchise evaporate under growing industry trends, ya know?

If you wait for late previews/reviews I'm sure you'll see I'm not BS'ing you.

There is plenty of "classic" Dead Space to be had in the full game, hours and hours of it. As was leaked in the achievements there is even an entire game mode called "Pure Survival".

I understand the appeal of putting a demo out there that will attract attention. You want to grab people with the excitment and some of the new features, but of coures you won't blow your whole load or even show a sliver of what the full game offers. I haven't played it yet, but anyone judging the full game over the demo itself is a bit silly I think. I'll try it later tonight and give my feedback, but I won't condemned the series if I have some issues with it. Then again I enjoyed DS 1 AND 2 alot. Maybe I'm in the minority. I know another DS lover who twitted me and said I'll love the demo (not sarcasm btw).

Mupod

"Pure Survival"

If this is a mode with no item drops from enemies then I will go reinstall freaking origin just to preorder this right now.

Well I'll probably be doing that anyways but you know, whatever.

AwShucks

Hey codecow, I'm probably more forgiving than most people on here but I really want to know if there is any way to have the reticle still use the projected beams that actually collide with the environment (i.e. DS1 aiming and what was considered classic in DS2)?

nel e nel

Yeah but Dead Space didn't even do badly! And since it was a franchise, plenty of time to build up intensity of fanbase into something really profitable without resorting to un-Dead Space like gameplay/flow. I don't know... I just don't get this industry anymore. It's losing me completely with their antics.

Ehhh....DS1 hasn't even sold 5 million copies since its release, and if I recall correctly, I remember hearing a post-mortem interview with someone from EA/Visceral saying that after they looked at the numbers, DS1 sold more used copies than it did new copies.

It was a definitely a critical success.

100% (for a limited number of people).

two would be nice :)

btw i posted a question asking if the marine suit from DS1 might make a return on the facebook page awhile ago. the admin talked to me about the suit a little bit. any chances of the suit making it back in DS3?

scitek

Downloaded, played, and deleted. There was literally nothing interesting or exciting that happened. It's such a shame because Dead Space 1 and 2 were so intense and atmospheric and lonely. This just felt like a generic looking and playing third person shooter. Still going to give it a tiny chance, it could be just this demo stuff that's bad. Right? Right?!

Just wanna say that the first Dead Space had literally one of the worst demos I've ever played, and it caused me to not bother playing the game until my little brother mentioned it was good months later. I won't play the demo as I'm on PC, but there's a history of subpar demos with the franchise IMO.

Cudder

Seems like this demo could've benefited from having 2 gameplay sections, one being the demo people are playing now, and one much more fitting of the term survival horror. I've always liked demos that do this.

Duxxy3

Ehhh....DS1 hasn't even sold 5 million copies since its release, and if I recall correctly, I remember hearing a post-mortem interview with someone from EA/Visceral saying that after they looked at the numbers, DS1 sold more used copies than it did new copies.

It was a definitely a critical success.

The first game of a brand new series didn't sell 5 million copies?!

My god, the horror!

Amir0x

Banned
If you wait for late previews/reviews I'm sure you'll see I'm not BS'ing you.

It's not that I think you're BSing me, don't get me wrong. Don't want you to get that impression. It's that obviously when we're close to something, we have a different prism we view that object through. A different perspective, for example, on what the series might be all about because you're working close to the project and I'm just a fan.

So to you you might see a team developing really high octane action sequences, Uncharted-esque set pieces, and think "wow this is really amazing, gamers will love this!" and think of the few moments in Dead Space 2 that are similar to that and might feel the series is right on track, for example. And depending on the frequency/percentage of non-stop action, the sense of isolation the game brings, the times the game removes control from the player to do X, Y and Z... a person might have a dramatically different view of what is right for the series. It's about perspective, not about BSing.

All I am saying is that if the focus/flow of the game is like the demo, it'd be troublesome to me as a Dead Space fan. It's really off in atmosphere, flow and even with some gameplay nuances. But I also believe that you believe the rest of the game is more even-handed and more Dead Space-esque, so I'll remain hopeful.

Is there any reason for this? Namely, why so many game demos simply start in the middle of the game with little context or with just seemingly custom made stuff for the demo? I'd guess its to better show off certain gameplay mechanics, which makes sense. But outside of maybe the demo for Arkham Asylum back in the day, I always find myself more engaged by demos that simply start at the beginning of the game and let you play for a little bit of time. It feels a bit more honest that way in terms of having a demo that I can judge as a means of feeling out if I want to buy this game or not. Kind of like how the past couple Batman movies had the IMAX prologues in theaters which was basically the first 10 minutes or so of the movie- those are great for hype since they give you some context of everything thats happening.

Demos that just start in the middle with little context of whats going on rarely get me enthusiastic about a game unless the gameplay is just incredible or there is some other incredible feature at play (like maybe the demos for Arkham Asylum or Just Cause 2).

codecow

Hey codecow, I'm probably more forgiving than most people on here but I really want to know if there is any way to have the reticle still use the projected beams that actually collide with the environment (i.e. DS1 aiming and what was considered classic in DS2)?

Yes, I believe even the demo has this feature. You should be able to access it via the pause menu, it is called "classic" aiming.

nel e nel

The first game of a brand new series didn't sell 5 million copies?!

My god, the horror!

If the majority of your hype is coming from used sales - or discounted prices years later - then yes, that is pretty horrific from a business model standpoint.

If this were the music industry, Visceral would have been dropped from their label and they would be doing local tours in a rented van right now.

AwShucks

Yes, I believe even the demo has this feature. You should be able to access it via the pause menu, it is called "classic" aiming.

Great thanks. I'm avoiding the demo as I'll be picking it up anyway (love the Dead Space world too much no matter what people say about this maybe being too heavy on the action) otherwise I would have just looked.

Thanks again.

codecow

So to you you might see a team developing really high octane action sequences, Uncharted-esque set pieces, and think "wow this is really amazing, gamers will love this!".

Oh I had no such illusions about the GAF response to the demo content. I read posts here every day for games I am interested in as well as games that I work on and I also play games, a lot, and have done for 30 years. If I can't predict the GAF response by now I should probably go work on browsers or something.

What I do hope is some folks who maybe avoided Dead Space in the past try out this demo with a friend and maybe decide to pick up the game.

Mupod

Is there any reason for this? Namely, why so many game demos simply start in the middle of the game with little context or with just seemingly custom made stuff for the demo? I'd guess its to better show off certain gameplay mechanics, which makes sense. But outside of maybe the demo for Arkham Asylum back in the day, I always find myself more engaged by demos that simply start at the beginning of the game and let you play for a little bit of time. It feels a bit more honest that way in terms of having a demo that I can judge as a means of feeling out if I want to buy this game or not. Kind of like how the past couple Batman movies had the IMAX prologues in theaters which was basically the first 10 minutes or so of the movie- those are great for hype since they give you some context of everything thats happening.

Demos that just start in the middle with little context of whats going on rarely get me enthusiastic about a game unless the gameplay is just incredible or there is some other incredible feature at play (like maybe the demos for Arkham Asylum or Just Cause 2).

Well I can't speak for Dead Space but if Darksiders' demo was the first hour of the game I never would have bought Darksiders (well, not for a while at least). Instead they give you something that's actually representative of the main game (a whole dungeon!), and a nice little pile of abilities to work with. It's great.

I honestly prefer if a demo tries hard not to spoil anything storywise as well (even from the start of the game), which the past dead space demos did a good job of.

Duxxy3

If the majority of your hype is coming from used sales - or discounted prices years later - then yes, that is pretty horrific from a business model standpoint.

If this were the music industry, Visceral would have been dropped from their label and they would be doing local tours in a rented van right now.

Capcom would have picked them up in minutes to fix Resident Evil (or at least i hope they would).

Amir0x

Banned
Oh I had no such illusions about the GAF response to the demo content. I read posts here every day for games I am interested in as well as games that I work on and I also play games, a lot, and have done for 30 years. If I can't predict the GAF response by now I should probably go work on browsers or something.

What I do hope is some folks who maybe avoided Dead Space in the past try out this demo with a friend and maybe decide to pick up the game.

Makes sense. I'm not doubting the motivations here; tons of games have shitty (or unrepresentative) demos because they want to showcase a "hook" that draws players in. I just was a little worried at all. I'll definitely still keep anticipating it, then, if it's truly not like the demo and retains the Dead Space DNA in a move obvious fashion.

Maybe the game is supposed to be horror in a meta sense. Like a "oh-my-god-what-have-they-done-with-this-series" kind of scary.

Duxxy3

See that's the thing that worries us.

That Dead Space 3 is going so far off the path of Dead Space 1 and 2 that it's no longer a game for Dead Space fans.

It's the same problem we have with Resident evil now.

AHA-Lambda

But it's AAAA man! Need to sell those 5m copies!

So EA has got what 4 shooters in Q1? And 3 of them are co-op cover based 3rd person shooters? -_-

Vamphuntr

Just beat the demo. Overall I felt it was okay but it's hard to judge everything from a demo.

I'm not sure if you can unlock more weapon slots in the full game but here you only have two (dpad left/dpad right). I wouldn't say it's a step back as the weapon customization system more or less allow you to have two differents weapon in one. For instance, you can switch the rotatory cuff that allow you to rotate the plasma cutter by a tool that shoots lightning, or some kind of punching melee add on.

You can also add various "attachments" to them. In the demo you can add one that also heals your partner when you use an healing item, one that adds a small stasis effect to your bullets, one that protects you against splash damages from explosion and so on. You can have up to two on a weapon it seems.

The big change is that you now mostly get components from crushing enemies instead of money and ammo like the previous Dead Space games. Components can be combined into weapons parts and attachments like discussed above or into medpacks, ammo clips and some kind of lockpick.

I think the crafting is definitely going to be interesting and you can play with it in a separate part of the demo dedicated to crafting weapons and trying them out.

I didn't like the cover system at all but I'm not sure it's really working well in that build. Pop up says to hold LT near a crate or a wall and what it basically does is to change your camera while aiming behind the object and you're not really "in cover" AFAIK. You can also crouch by pressing RS but be careful as holding RS is the guiding light objective marker thingie too.

There was also a RE6 moment in there. You know those "fights waves of enemies until you can progress" part. Hopefully there isn't much of those.

Oh and enemies with guns in an horror game is something I really hate but I don't have much to add about it here outside of the fact that at first I was forgiving about it a bit since it appeared they weren't simply "evil" humans but well, later on I couldn't simply say the same.

I enjoyed the fact that those small little monsters that infects bodies can actually run away with items crate :O.

Oh and you can actually find component boxes which appear to contain random weapon parts and components with different rarities and that you can only redeem at a bench. Wanna bet EA will be selling some as "booster pack" DLC?

For those wondering, Carver appears in some areas and in cutscenes in Single Player mode.

See that's the thing that worries us.

That Dead Space 3 is going so far off the path of Dead Space 1 and 2 that it's no longer a game for Dead Space fans.

It's the same problem we have with Resident evil now.

I think he was specifically talking about the demo, not the game.

delta25

Banned
"Pure Survival"

codecow I wouldn't spend PR time trying to convince the pessimist, most people see a few changes and assume the worse(some people don't like change). I have no doubts that DS3 will retain all the great aspects and atmosphere in what made DS1 and DS2 so great while adding a few changes here and there to help keep things fresh, which contrary to the mass consensus is never a bad thing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Haven't tried the demo since it's not on the pc. I will however chime in and say that neither of the other games' demos were indicative of either game. DS1's demo was especially deceiving and non-representative of the final product.

sarcoa

I'm taking part in a roundtable interview with someone from Visceral tomorrow. Would reeaally like to play Dead Space 3 beforehand if anyone has a code :]

Top Bottom