• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War demand is high: second only to Halo2?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ejab said:
gearav6.jpg

Yes, HMMM
Learn to Google.

Ejab

Banned
JB1981 said:
COD 3 on 360 edges out Gears of War in sales. 360 fans can't get enough of the WWII shooter and it's partially more appealing to people of all ages. Gears' ultra-violence will prevent it from becoming the Halo-esque hit people are predicting.
:lol No, the only reason COD2 sold so well is because it was the best thing at launch, gears will outsell it by millions, and out of the top 20 xbox games sold in the us only 1 of them was a WW2 shooter.

Syb

Of course the phrase "Gears of War" will turn up a ka-zillion results in Google, its got err... "War" in it. Duh.

Still cant wait though. :D

Mrbob

Ejab said:
:lol No, the only reason COD2 sold so well is because it was the best thing at launch, gears will outsell it by millions, and out of the top 20 xbox games sold in the us only 1 of them was a WW2 shooter.

No, it won't. Gears should do better on 360 than CoD3, but overall CoD3 will sell more.

The ultraviolence in Gears is going to keep gears from doing Halo numbers. I know people look at Saints Row and Dead Rising sales and think Gears will squash those numbers, but those two games came out at slow times. November is pretty stacked for 360. Raw vs smackdown 2007, tony hawk project 8, rainbow six vegas, call of duty 3, and gears. Gears should do well overall. I'll say 400,000 in November and another 550,000 in December.

DaddyZ said:
Has the game shipped early and retailers are holding it?
No

COD 3 on 360 edges out Gears of War in sales. 360 fans can't get enough of the WWII shooter and it's partially more appealing to people of all ages. Gears' ultra-violence will prevent it from becoming the Halo-esque hit people are predicting.

COD3 will sell well I bet.. but hell no it wont outsell GoW..

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
DaddyZ said:
Has the game shipped early and retailers are holding it?

It was stated a while ago that the game will be sold once shipped, not "real" street date, so...

...but, maybe if it's TOO far ahead of schedule they'll end up holding it? I dunno.

DaddyZ said:
Only asked because it's my nickname in RL! I thought you were another Zep :(

This is actually my whole plan.. You have gained the first piece of the puzzle.. Now I will send you on a worldwide chase to find me.. Beginning... NOW!

Syb

Gears (360) will outsell COD3 (360) easily.

COD3 (360/PS3/Wii/PS2/XBX/PSP) will outsell Gears though. Duh.

JB1981 said:

heh.. ultra violence? 3 words.. grand. theft. auto. (and 4 more words, killing hookers and cops).

rage1973

Mrbob said:
No, it won't. Gears should do better on 360 than CoD3, but overall CoD3 will sell more.

The ultraviolence in Gears is going to keep gears from doing Halo numbers. I know people look at Saints Row and Dead Rising sales and think Gears will squash those numbers, but those two games came out at slow times. November is pretty stacked for 360. Raw vs smackdown 2007, tony hawk project 8, rainbow six vegas, call of duty 3, and gears. Gears should do well overall. I'll say 400,000 in November and another 550,000 in December.
You wanna bet that GoW will outsell all COD3?

VALIS said:
I've always thought people were over-estimating GoW's potential sales, and that belief got reinforced tonight as I was talking to a friend of mine who just got a 360 and is a Halo nut and fits the mold of a casual gamer to a tee.

"Gonna get Gears of War next week?"
"I think I've heard about that. What is it, an FPS?"
"Yeah, it should be amazing. Big, cinematic type production values, supposedly great multiplayer, much like Halo."
"Nah. I'm really just waiting for Halo 3."

*shrug*
It's not an FPS.

Borys

Banned
Tieno said:
What was that like? (I wasn't here yet)

TheGreenGiant said:
I'll bet you $20 bucks. No way Halo2 will OUTSELL Halo. Are you on drugs? The numbers and reality are against it. HALO is cheaper. Halo is already out there and impossible to surpass (if anything, new gamers will also buy HALO after playing 2 or before playing 2)

and finally there wasn't modchips when HALO was released :ZING!:

you paypal me the money.

OKTHXUBYE

"You paypal me the money" :lol :lol :lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Gears will have HUGE numbers. It will be the best selling 360 game in no time at all.

The only inside news I have is that Blockbuster in Canada is sold out already. We have been doing pre-orders for a month now and not only can we not take anymore preorders but we wont have a single copy for retail on day 1 because they are all sold already.

I know Blockbuster doesn't do the same numbers as EBgames or Future Shop, but it's still a considerable amount when you consider that Blockbuster isn't exactly thought of as your first stop to buy games.

Truelize said:
Gears will have HUGE numbers. It will be the best selling 360 game in no time at all.

The only inside news I have is that Blockbuster in Canada is sold out already. We have been doing pre-orders for a month now and not only can we not take anymore preorders but we wont have a single copy for retail on day 1 because they are all sold already.

I know Blockbuster doesn't do the same numbers as EBgames or Future Shop, but it's still a considerable amount when you consider that Blockbuster isn't exactly thought of as your first stop to buy games.

The best selling 360 game up to date and Halo 2ish type of #s are not in the same realm. Im sure it will do well, considering there are 2 other consoles launching pretty soon. But using Halo 2 as some kind of "staple" is desperation.

Tieno

I do wonder why they're not giving the numbers? Either they don't have them or it's a distant second to Halo 2 or ....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, I know this is a whole other kettle of fish, but I dunno if Halo 3 will even sell the way Halo 2 did at first. It's pretty rare to see a sequel to a game sell even higher on the next console. Also, 360s are more expensive than Xbox 1's, and all.

Ejab

Banned
Tieno said:
I do wonder why they're not giving the numbers? Either they don't have them or it's a distant second to Halo 2 or ....

To be second to Halo 2 it would have to beat Fable, which sold about 2.5 million.

Ejab

Banned
Tieno said:
They're talking pre-orders, if I'm not mistaken.
Oh, but it cant be that distant from halo 2, I had to go to 4 different gamestops till I could find an available pre-order.

Ejab said:
Oh, but it cant be that distant from halo 2, I had to go to 4 different gamestops till I could find an available pre-order.

What? You had to go to 4 different stores to find an available preorder for Gears of War?

That isn't possible. Reserves are open company wide and not closed in "Specific Stores"

Striek

Zepking said:
What? You had to go to 4 different stores to find an available preorder for Gears of War?

That isn't possible. Reserves are open company wide and not closed in "Specific Stores"
Oh man. I seriously thought to myself when I read that earlier, "sounds like bullshit, but what do I know, sure do hope Zepking comes in and calls him out though":)

Gears cannot do Halo 2 number because there aren`t enough consoles out yet. If it does a million in pre-orders that would be great. I think that might be achievable

If MS are saying that Gears is only tracking behind Halo 2, then one could assume that it will do better numbers than Fable in it's first month...

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/fable/news.html?sid=6111138

Fable was 600,000

Halo2 was 2.5 mil or some such craziness

I would reasonably suggest that Gears of War will do more than 600,000 in November, extrapolating from the preorder story.

It won't do anywhere near Halo 2 tho :lol

I'll say around 800k.

600k >>>> Gears <<<< 1 million

bud

GhaleonEB said:
And on it not crossing 500k in December.

And Odysseus really, really hopes the 360 does not cross 5m by the end of the year. :lol

I didn't bet my account on it but a one week-ban and I said that GoW won't sell more than 500k in november.

Top Bottom