• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Dolphin

Banned
The photographic skybox stands out too much to me. If they painted one or used a 3D one it would look more natural. It's nothing new, they've always used photographic skyboxes, I'm just saying I think it would look better made from scratch like the rest of the art in the game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dolphin said:
The photographic skybox stands out too much to me. If they painted one or used a 3D one it would look more natural. It's nothing new, they've always used photographic skyboxes, I'm just saying I think it would look better made from scratch like the rest of the art in the game.

I was saying what to the cartoony comment. You played SSX before? This has been a consistent style that works extremely well. Watch the video d00d. It isn't jarring at all, nor is it even slightly cartoony, except for the giant yellow star.

Speaking of which, did anybody catch that it says UBER RIFFIC? I thought that was funny.

stealth edit! :|

Dolphin

Banned
I was saying what to the cartoony comment. You played SSX before? This has been a consistent style that works extremely well. Watch the video d00d. It isn't jarring at all, nor is it even slightly cartoony, except for the giant yellow star.

Speaking of which, did anybody catch that it says UBER RIFFIC? I thought that was funny.

stealth edit! :|
I own SSX Tricky and SSX3, and I don't mean cartoony like WW, I just mean non-photorealistic. They're using a photorealistic background against a non-photorealistic rendering which is a little jarring, and I'm saying that a 3D skybox or a painted skybox would probably look better. I did watch the video, pay more attention to the background and try to imagine that they haven't always done this. It would look better if the background was more similar in style to the foreground.

Pud

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
Splinter Cell looks like absolute shit.

Worse than last gen.

Yeah, it's a PS1 game! *rolleyes*

It's a direct port of the PS2 version, likely with a couple extra effects tacked on. What do you expect? Oh... and in case your memory is fuzzy, the PS2 *was* last gen - not a part of the gen before that. Though, Chaos Theory did look better on the Cube - but that's what happens with more dev time!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mahjong Taikai Wii

Wow?

scr_004.jpg

scr_005.jpg

scr_006.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This was at the end of the last page, but nobody has commented on it yet. It looks awesome. Reposting so more people actually see it.

SSX Blur

Screen Captures from Video. This game looks freaking awesome.

ssxblur-1.jpg

ssxblur-2.jpg

ssxblur-3.jpg

ssxblur-4.jpg

ssxblur-5.jpg

ssxblur-6.jpg

ssxblur-7.jpg

ssxblur-8.jpg

ssxblur-9.jpg

ssxblur-10.jpg

ssxblur-11.jpg

ssxblur-12.jpg

ssxblur-13.jpg

ssxblur-14.jpg

ssxblur-15.jpg

ssxblur-16.jpg

ssxblur-17.jpg

ssxblur-18.jpg

ssxblur-19.jpg

ssxblur-20.jpg

ssxblur-21.jpg

ssxblur-22.jpg

ssxblur-23.jpg

ssxblur-24.jpg

ssxblur-25.jpg

ssxblur-26.jpg

ssxblur-27.jpg

ssxblur-28.jpg

ssxblur-29.jpg

Notes:
This post also appears in SSX Wii Thread. If you use these caps for your own sites, please be courteous and give credit to gamevideos.com, rather than slapping your own ugly logos on it, k?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
:lol I thought it was a photoshop joke at first because the screens were blurry.

PantherLotus said:
This was at the end of the last page, but nobody has commented on it yet. It looks awesome. Reposting so more people actually see it.

*SSX pix*

Well there is a 7 page thread on it. I think we got it all out of our systems already.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Elebits

From 1up. And thanks for nothing, ****ers. You make it impossible to link to your screens. How about making it easier and get free advertising from your giant plastered logo everywhere?

And they're screen captures.

elebits-25.jpg

elebits-26.jpg

elebits-27.jpg

elebits-28.jpg

elebits-29.jpg

elebits-30.jpg

elebits-31.jpg

elebits-34.jpg

elebits-36.jpg

elebits-37.jpg

elebits-38.jpg

elebits-39.jpg

elebits-40.jpg

elebits-41.jpg

elebits-42.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ranger X said:
What the hell with the ****ed up resize on the lastest Elebits screens and the horrible dithering? :(

They're off-screen (non direct) captures. Like, somebody snapped a photograph of a television and then posted that.

Again, THANKS A LOT 1UP. GREAT WORK!

jarosh

PantherLotus said:
They're off-screen (non direct) captures. Like, somebody snapped a photograph of a television and then posted that.

Again, THANKS A LOT 1UP. GREAT WORK!
nope. they're absolutely positively NOT off-screen captures. they're direct feed but they've been resized with a terrible TERRIBLE algorithm - maybe multiple times even. it looks like there was some sort of nasty de-interlacing going on too. that's also why the dithering looks extra bad - the pattern gets immediately noticeable (similar to what you sometimes see with magazine scans). even shrinking them back to their supposed native res (640x480) won't help. let's just say that whoever took those screenshots ****ed up.

Ranger X

jarosh said:
nope. they're absolutely positively NOT off-screen captures. they're direct feed but they've been resized with a terrible TERRIBLE algorithm - maybe multiple times even. it looks like there was some sort of nasty de-interlacing going on too. that's also why the dithering looks extra bad - the pattern gets immediately noticeable (similar to what you sometimes see with magazine scans). even shrinking them back to their supposed native res (640x480) won't help. let's just say that whoever took those screenshots ****ed up.

That's what i thought...
I think the person who took those screens should be fired. lol

neoanarch

jarosh said:

1up has the worst screenshots, it has to be something with the website because all picture from 1up have the same problem

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Elebits

These look a little better that the shit 1UP puts out... And they come from the IGN Review, too, so this will be the last of the Elebits screens. Enjoy them.

IGN: 8.3 Overall

I might actually have to give this a go!

meet-the-elebits-20061208053527237.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053526675.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053526097.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053525284.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053524659.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053524081.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053523409.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053338300.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053337691.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053337097.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053336504.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053335925.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053334222.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053332597.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053330879.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053329738.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053329176.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053328597.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053327988.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053327316.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053325910.jpg

meet-the-elebits-20061208053323722.jpg

Bert

PantherLotus said:
Mercury Meltdown Revolution

The full set.

Wow. I loved the PSP Mercury, but what a change in art style! I like it though, if this controls half as well as it should I'll pick this up.

Does anyone have an EU release date for Elebits?

where are all the new and big games?
Most of the wii games look like small budget or are games which are on platforms from this generation (ps2/xbx).
No troll intended, but devs have seen the success of the NDS, why aren't they jumping on the wii?

hirokazu

Bert said:
Wow. I loved the PSP Mercury, but what a change in art style! I like it though, if this controls half as well as it should I'll pick this up.

Does anyone have an EU release date for Elebits?

that's also how Mercury Meltdown 2 looks on PSP. i tried the demo and hated it though. hated the cel-shaded art - just didn't seem to fit, hated the crap analog nub controls.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Legend Of the Dragon

The assumption is that this is just artwork. Sorry...I was looking at thumbs when I posted them, but they're interesting at least.

1e632a29193872f3ac97bc1ccfed1edd.jpg

e3ff1d954a1457c07661926255bd023f.jpg

5ae10adf90dc4b43773f909ce73e4f03.jpg

Rimshot

The legend of the dragon artwork looks sweet. Would only hope they released games in that artstyle. Taking cellshading in that direction making use of the consoles weaker power.

Shinobix

PantherLotus said:
Legend Of the Dragon

The assumption is that this is just artwork. Sorry...I was looking at thumbs when I posted them, but they're interesting at least.

Argh I read Legend of Dragoon instead of Legend of the Dragon :(

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
Please do not quote whole posts when replying to this thread.

INDEX I (pages 1-30+) <-- Clicky
(screen releases/captures, E3-06 to November 06)

INDEX II (pages 40+)
(post-launch and future games, Dec 06 - present)

Alien Syndrome - 1
Bomberman Land - 1
Bust-A-Move Bash! - 1
Densha de GO - 1
Dragon Quest Swords - 1, 2 , 3
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles -
Fire Emblem -
G1 Jockey 4 - 1
Gottlieb Pinball Classics - 1
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting Revolution - 1, 2, 3
Legend Of the Dragon - 1
Mahjong Taikai Wii - 1
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - 1, 2
Metroid Prime 3 - (coming soon)
Mario Party 8 - 1
Mario Galaxy - (coming soon)
No More Heroes - 1, 2, 3
Pinball Hall of Fame - 1
Pokémon Battle Revolution - 1, 2
SD Gundam Scad Hammers - 1, 2
Sims Wii, The - 1, 2
SSX Blur - 1
Super Fruit Fall - 1
Super Smash Brothers Brawl - 1, 2
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - 1

Updated from the front page. Moved the original index. The new index starts after all the launch hype died down a bit and we finally started getting new screens again. There are a several place holders for expected 2007 games for which we are expecting new media soon. I did not include new screens from just-after-launch games (Elebits, Bleach, etc) after page 40.

Thanks for making this one of the most viewed threads ever, and thanks to the many media sites that I've been direct linking to since E3! I would especially like to recognize IGN, Blakguy & JeuxFrance, and NGC France. A special mention to GoNintendo! and ZogDog for helping me make sure I don't miss anything.

Here's to another 40+ pages!
~PL~

volmer

woxel1 said:
re: Pokemon. This is something that has been bothering me about the game, and about the Wii in general. If these are real shots, they are truly indicative of Wii's next-gen potential from a graphical standpoint. However, it's my understanding that the game has very little motion sensing. Is it possible that the more a game has motion sensing, the more crippled its graphics become? I'd be very curious if this connection existed.
I don't think the difference in graphics you see now is because of lack of CPU cycles to push better graphics. Motion sensing should not be that taxing in itself as it's basically lots of matrix math => vector ops, for which Wii's CPU has a vector unit (basically allows the programmer to, in parallel, do operations on a vector of values rather than just a single value - now apply that idea to coordinate transforms and you get the idea) similar to Altivec in the G4, or an SPE in the Cell.

I think the difference in graphics in this point comes mainly from engine capabilities. It seems likely that some, if not most, current (launch window) game engines aren't enginered from ground-up on the Wii, and thus we do not yet see the added capabilities of the Wii GPU in use in most titles. Mario Galaxy and the Pokemon game are pretty good examples of how things may look in general when developers get around to making Wii-specific engines, I'd say.

volmer said:
Motion sensing should not be that taxing in itself as it's basically lots of matrix math => vector ops, for which Wii's CPU has a vector unit (basically allows the programmer to, in parallel, do operations on a vector of values rather than just a single value - now apply that idea to coordinate transforms and you get the idea) similar to Altivec in the G4, or an SPE in the Cell.

:lol God damn did that go over my head.

Eric_S

@volmer

Except that the FPU on the Wii CPU is responsible for vector operations, as opposed to Altivec ops on a "G4" CPU or (of course) vector ops being sent to the SPE's on a CELL, yes?

Top Bottom