• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [March] Now Voting - Post 774!

Haha, dont worry, I was planning to put up a voting procedure tomorrow (Because the last week of march starts tomorrow :p). But to answer your questions:

1. Only the games in post 1 and 2 (aka the released games).
2. We'll post here, I'll tally it up and make it a nice list for newcomers in the april thread :)

Gah! I didn't realize your list was split into released and unreleased games, since I just scroll up and down to look at the pretty pictures. @_@

Thanks for the clarifications. :) I just tried Gororoa with my girlfriend; I have my fifth game for March. If anyone here hasn't done so, PLEASE DO, it's pure art and it takes like 20 minutes to play through; 20 wonderful, delicious minutes.

I'll keep trying games for a couple of days more, in case something else cool knocks off one of my current top five. You know, it might sound stupid, but the vote is having an unintended, but really positive effect; it's forcing me to try more games now rather than "later", so that my vote is more "educated". :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gah! I didn't realize your list was split into released and unreleased games, since I just scroll up and down to look at the pretty pictures. @_@

Thanks for the clarifications. :) I just tried Gororoa with my girlfriend; I have my fifth game for March. If anyone here hasn't done so, PLEASE DO, it's pure art and it takes like 20 minutes to play through; 20 wonderful, delicious minutes.

I'll keep trying games for a couple of days more, in case something else cool knocks off one of my current top five. You know, it might sound stupid, but the vote is having an unintended, but really positive effect; it's forcing me to try more games now rather than "later", so that my vote is more "educated". :)

Well, there is a big, pretty and HUGE "FUTURE AHEAD" picture at the beginning of post three with some clarifying red words beneath :p
But yeah, I think Hofmann also mentioned that he wants to check out more games to give a proper list. GOOD!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
A Nation of Wind:
7660856110_796f4301ee_z.jpg
http://nationofwind.tumblr.com/download
Free. "A Nation of Wind" is an independently developed PC Game featuring Arena Shooter and Real Time Strategy elements."

I just tried it on Desura for a few minutes but noticed pretty fast that I'll need a bit more time for it. Anyone here tried it and could write up some impressions? Came out mid 2012. I LOVE the artstyle btw.

Toma

Shu:
http://www.secret-lunch.com/

Upcoming 2.5D platformer with a pretty and very memorable artstyle in which you run, jump and glide your way up an ancient mountain, forever pursued by a monstrous and unrelenting storm. They compare themselves to a 2D Ico a bit. Link also has a video

Wok

Haha, dont worry, I was planning to put up a voting procedure tomorrow (Because the last week of march starts tomorrow :p). But to answer your questions:

1. Only the games in post 1 and 2 (aka the released games).
2. We'll post here, I'll tally it up and make it a nice list for newcomers in the april thread :)

I would have thought I would not be able to find 5 games in the first two posts which I had already played. In fact, there are more than enough:
  1. A Slower Speed of Light
  2. Back to Bed
  3. Gorogoa
  4. Kentucky Route Zero
  5. Love+
  6. MirrorMoon
  7. Proteus
  8. Starseed Pilgrim
  9. The Bridge
  10. The Sea Will Claim Everything
  11. Thirty Flights of Loving
  12. Zineth

I already have my top 3, but I am still unsure about the top 5.

Toma

I would have thought I would not be able to find 5 games in the first two posts which I had already played. In fact, there are more than enough:
  1. A Slower Speed of Light
  2. Back to Bed
  3. Gorogoa
  4. Kentucky Route Zero
  5. Love+
  6. MirrorMoon
  7. Proteus
  8. Starseed Pilgrim
  9. The Bridge
  10. The Sea Will Claim Everything
  11. Thirty Flights of Loving
  12. Zineth

I already have my top 3. But I am still unsure about the top 5.

Your post reminds me to create an easy to read list with all the contenders from this thread for tomorrow. Also, based on the games you just mentioned you should give Kyoto and Papers,Please a try (both of which are short and free anyway) :)

Toma

Great Permutator:

http://www.desura.com/games/great-permutator
Seems a bit like SpaceChem Lite. You have boxes on top of the screen and need to transport them to the bottom by using several machines at your disposal. There is a free demo, and I think I'll get this eventually. Its not as exhaustive as Factorio or SpaceChem, but seems to be a pretty well done version of this gameplay style.

Toma

Screenshot Saturday Post #1:

Deep Space Settlement - a real-time strategy game for PC, focused on empire building and grand-scale space battles(4X RTS):

Sir, You are being Hunted - Just a guess that its from that game. Its the same company and the only game they are working on atm. Looking good!

??? - I have no clue, still looks good. Top down stealth?

Unnamed - Zelda Type game gif for the 1GAM challenge

Folk Tale - Folk Tale is a sandbox fantasy city builder strategy game in which you lead a ragtag band of peasants in growing a small settlement into a thriving market town:

Vox - Voxel Based Adventure Game

Hofmann

Folk Tale - Folk Tale is a sandbox fantasy city builder strategy game in which you lead a ragtag band of peasants in growing a small settlement into a thriving market town

Wow, we're getting more and more of these kind of games lately. I expect that not far from now we gonna get some SimCity indie equivalent, without all those game breaking problems.

Well, there is a big, pretty and HUGE "FUTURE AHEAD" picture at the beginning of post three with some clarifying red words beneath :p
But yeah, I think Hofmann also mentioned that he wants to check out more games to give a proper list. GOOD!

Yeah, I did not say I was justified in not noticing. :D

I just tried a few more:
- Back to Bed: Loved the Dali-esque references (felt a pang of price, being Spanish myself), and for some reason I loved the effect on teleporters (doors) that show what's behind them as a flat image, leading to a somewhat Sadako-esque effect when they pop out. Otherwise is not terribly exciting, it could do quite a bit more with what it has. Control is pretty bad as well, this really needs to be keyboard or controller-controlled, it's not served at all by being mouse only.
- A Nation of Wind: Lovely graphics, awesome ActRaiser vibes, but it's quite impenetrable, it needs more tutorials, and it seems like it needs to devote quite some time to it (time being the one thing I'm lacking in most). I guess, I should have expected it when Toma himself said he couldn't devote the time presently.

Of course in the time I tried those Toma posted like 10 more. :D I've entirely given up trying to catch up with the thread.

Toma

Screenshot Saturday Post #2:

Rubba Rabbit - Browser based platformer.

Subsistence - Subsistence will be a 2D sidescrolling platformer set in a science fiction world. Gif is the character creator.

Unnamed - 3D roguelike for the 1GAM challenge.

Skipping Stones - Looks like an exploration type game: I subscribed to their mailing list, so I'll let you know when it releases.

Lune - Lune is a game where you control the Moon, and therefore the tides, the gravity and the light. VERY interested in that one.

Gearscape - v0.3 out, see link for how to dl. Quote: "the best way I have to describe the game is "Super Meat Boy meets Portal" aka "Reach the chamber exit fast and without dying". I just got access to the Beta, will try later.

Hofmann

I just tried a few more:
- Back to Bed: Loved the Dali-esque references (felt a pang of price, being Spanish myself), and for some reason I loved the effect on teleporters (doors) that show what's behind them as a flat image, leading to a somewhat Sadako-esque effect when they pop out. Otherwise is not terribly exciting, it could do quite a bit more with what it has. Control is pretty bad as well, this really needs to be keyboard or controller-controlled, it's not served at all by being mouse only.

Yeah, there's something off putting about this one. I tried a few times, but just coudn't get into it.

Toma

Yeah, there's something off putting about this one. I tried a few times, but just coudn't get into it.

Yeah, I think its just not polished enough and the controls got in my way more often than not. Still a cute little game, I hope they improve upon the basics after their successful Kickstarter.

Toma

Screenshot Saturday Post #3:

Roof Runner - Mirrors Edge Parcour style game?

Distance - is a survival racing game that combines the intense action of arcade racing with the exploration of an atmospheric world. Video and "backing" possibilities at the link.

Curious Expedition - A Roguelike-strategy-puzzle-game. Venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before! The gif looks really nice.

SEASON 2 FINALE - With inspirations from Contra and Gun Star Heroes, this game spans 3 large boss-centric action packed levels featuring 2 player simultaneous gameplay, joystick support, and online highscores

Renegade Sector Pilot - 3D Flight Fighting game?

Lacuna Passage - Exploration. Lacuna Passage is an open-world adventure. 25 square miles of treacherous Martian terrain littered with clues about the disappearance of the Hermes Mars Expedition. Also includes Investigation and Survival aspects.

Toma

Screenshot Saturday Post #4:

Isomer - Isomer is an isometric realtime strategy with sandbox gameplay inspired by classic XCOM and dwarf fortress style games. It's open ended, designed to be played in a variety of ways with world exploration, survival, crafting and strategy. BOUGHT! (I'll have an eye on this)

Dudebro - Haha, didnt expect to see that here.

Enemy Starfighter - This dude knows how to make awesome gifs. 3D planefighting game with rather ambitious goals. Check the link for that.

Luminesca - Luminesca is an underwater exploration game, currently available for alpha purchase at 3,99€

Tri - 3D puzzle game, you create triangles to build platforms, overcome obstacles, walk on walls, reflect light rays and lasers, and more. Free Demo on Desura, Alpha available for 3,99€.

Kitbash - Turn-based squad tactics game.

Toma

Done with Screenshot Saturday posts.

Munin

Fathom:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1302752729/fathom-2

A really, really, really, REALLY gorgeous looking 2D underwater exploration game (check the trailer in the link), which is currently on Kickstarter Lifesupport 8,000/120,000 with 6 days left. No way this will make it. I really hope they keep on trucking nonetheless :/

That's gorgeous, what a shame games like these get overlooked while the same old nostalgia pandering crap rakes in the big money...

That's gorgeous, what a shame games like these get overlooked while the same old nostalgia pandering crap rakes in the big money...

That's interesting because my perspective is exactly the opposite, i.e. I tnd to skip 3D indie games because precisely what I look for in indie games is the beautiful pixel art that's become a lost art and forgotten by virtually all "mainstream" publishers. Aside from the fact that I indeed tend to enjoy 2D art and particularly quality pixel art more than 3D visuals, there's also the fact that indie examples using the latter and achieving this kind of quality are the exception, not the norm.

Whereas this would be an interesting, symmetric paralelism between our tastes and points of view, there is a remarkable difference; I choose not to express my preferences in a way that is offensive or patronizing to the other side.

Toma

That's interesting because my perspective is exactly the opposite, i.e. I tnd to skip 3D indie games because precisely what I look for in indie games is the beautiful pixel art that's become a lost art and forgotten by virtually all "mainstream" publishers. Aside from the fact that I indeed tend to enjoy 2D art and particularly quality pixel art more than 3D visuals, there's also the fact that indie examples using the latter and achieving this kind of quality are the exception, not the norm.

Whereas this would be an interesting, symmetric paralelism between our tastes and points of view, there is a remarkable difference; I choose not to express my preferences in a way that is offensive or patronizing to the other side.

Yeah, we shouldnt only want one and deny the other. Obviously, both kind of games should be made. I am not even talking about the 2D Pixelart stuff, but "nostalgia pandering crap" is also stuff like Torment, Wasteland 2... I wouldnt want to miss those in my reference outlook for the next few years.

Anyway, still really sad that Fathom wont make it. I hope they still plan on working on that game somehow :/

Right, bought Starseed Pilgrim as part of the 'Probability 0 + Friends' bundle (which seems to be pretty good value, as it is $10 and contains Starseed Pilgrim ($6), Probability 0 ($7) and two more games). Also dowloaded OFF, Melodisle, Papers Please, Zineth, King of the Woods and Puzzle No Jelly.

I will post impressions, but probably not for a good while, since the coming three weeks are busy and I also just bought Luigi's Mansion (+ free Super Mario 3D Land). I'll do my best to keep this awesome thread bumped when I can, though.

Toma

Right, bought Starseed Pilgrim as part of the 'Probability 0 + Friends' bundle (which seems to be pretty good value, as it is $10 and contains Starseed Pilgrim ($6), Probability 0 ($7) and two more games). Also dowloaded OFF, Melodisle, Papers Please, King of the Woods and Puzzle No Jelly.

I will post impressions, but probably not for a good while, since the coming three weeks are busy and I also just bought Luigi's Mansion (+ free Super Mario 3D Land). I'll do my best to keep this awesome thread bumped when I can, though.

We'll switch over to the april thread in about a week. Feel free to post any impressions in the april thread then :) No use in bumping multiple threads and splitting attention, but I am sure most people will appreciate the impressions anyway!

Toma

Voting!

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 5 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 1 & 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list or a "honorable" mention if you feel that one game deserves another mention even though it wont count for your list. That way it would also make it interesting to read which games we should check out that others might have enjoyed. You dont need to "rank" the 5 games. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open for 7 days, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the month is over, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 5 games to vote for, there are plenty free and short games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:

6180 the moon
Anodyne
A Slower Speed of Light
Back to Bed
Bientot l'ete
Césure
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Cypher
Dawning
Depression Quest
Factorio
Go Beryllium!
Gorogoa
Hammerwatch
Jelly no Puzzle
Kentucky Route Zero
King of the Wood
Kyoto
Love+
Maldita Castilla
Melodisle
Micron
MirrorMoon
Molto Vivace
OFF
Papers, please!
Planet Explorers
Platformines
Proteus
Quest for Infamy
Skullface
Slave of God
Spice Road
StarDrive
Starseed Pilgrim
Steam Marines
Stream
The Bridge
The Button Affair
The Sea Will Claim Everything
Thirty Flights of Loving
Tiny Plumbers
Tower of the Gorillion
Under the Ocean
Underrail
Woodle Tree
Zineth

Toma

New thread title! Woo.

gabbo

Votes
1. Papers, Please - It's rare when saying 'no' to a sprite in a game can cause so much inner turmoil, but Papers managed to do just that.

2. Back to Bed - We all need more Escher puzzle platforming in our lives.

3. Bientot l'ete - I've only played the web version so far, but this is par for Tale of Tales course. Either a philosophical french new wave film wrapped in a 'game' or as shallow as it appears. Playing is the only way to know.

4. Cesure - Much like Bientot l'ete, there isn't much of a goal, but the soundtrack and the underlying feeling of dread pulled me in while I wandered. Oh how I did wander this possible purgatory

5. Zenith - This is your mind on games. I still don't know what exactly was going on, but my mind was assaulted by colour and roller blading up buildings. Definitely worth trying out.

These are in no particular order, so don't take the numbers to mean anything.

Raxum

Wow, we're getting more and more of these kind of games lately. I expect that not far from now we gonna get some SimCity indie equivalent, without all those game breaking problems.

I actually saw a game on kickstarter a while ago called Civitas (LINK) not really sure how far through the project has gotten now, and their website and forums are a bit bare, but it looks promising.

Oh no, voting time and still so many games to try!

Toma

I actually saw a game on kickstarter a while ago called Civitas (LINK) not really sure how far through the project has gotten now, and their website and forums are a bit bare, but it looks promising.

Oh no, voting time and still so many games to try!
That game seemed to be a scam as some in the gaf thread pointed out. Google civitas neogaf or something.Cant link atm.

Raxum

That game seemed to be a scam as some in the gaf thread pointed out. Google civitas neogaf or something.Cant link atm.

That's a bit odd, because they cancelled the kickstarter and according to their update they got private funding for the project. At least if it was a scam the people on kickstarter didn't get taken. Here's to hoping there is a decent Sim game coming in the future though.

Banished looks decent, and I love games like Gnomoria and Towns, but they just don't hit the same city-building spot as Simcity used to, even though I refuse to play the new one.

Raxum

Disclaimer: Due to monetary constraints on my person at this time I've only really been able to try games with demos and free games at this point, so my experiences are somewhat incomplete.
Top 5:
Factorio
Very interesting take on a base-building game, certainly love the mechanics and getting into it, it becomes quite a challenge to make sure everything works and is set out so that it all has power. Fun game.

Jelly No Puzzle
This is a huge props to the dev on this one, the puzzles in this game really take a while to figure out. Love games that challenge me to think outside the box. Simple mechanics, complex game, certainly well designed.

Planet Explorers
This is somewhat of the builder I've been trying to find for some time now. I haven't gotten overly far in the short time I've had with, and also been distracted by everything else, but certainly loving it so far.

Maldita Castilla
This game is an awesome throw-back to arcade games. Somewhat difficult, and the items system is interesting. Will be spending much more time with this.

Zineth
This game actually surprised me, I thought I'd only enjoy it a little bit, but it's just so much fun. Challenging in twitch reflexes and the ability to rewind time just makes it so good. Also the phone game with the little monsters adds something else for you to look for as you are skating around.

Honourables:
Spice Road - While I enjoyed the game, it definitely feels too early to make a final decision on the game. Also, I would like a free-build mode that I couldn't find in my time with it.
Platformines - This game is interesting in that I just keep wanting to explore everywhere, and not necessarily where I'm supposed to be going. Anyway, had fun with this one.
Kyoto - Wow, really simple game, but no tutorial, no talking nothing, just a sense of curiosity and puzzles to figure out. Enjoyed it but just didn't hit top 5.
Steam Marines - Very interesting concept for a squad rogue-like, I'd like to spend more time getting used to how it plays. Seems to take quite a bit to get a grasp on everything

I would honestly like to do larger impressions but I don't want to take up too much space in the thread. If you'd like I can edit in some more detailed impressions to help people get a feel for the games more before they try them.

Voting, woohoo.

1. Jelly no Puzzle
There is generally this level of redundancy in puzzle games. The best games have rules so simple you can explain them in 2 minutes, but spend about 45% of the game on levels that tutorial you over and over how to play them. Jelly throws that out the window and I respect and love it for it.

2. Factorio
The hard logic of Spacechem mixed in with C&C RTS base building and a bit of Minecraft and tower defense thrown in. Odd beast, but works fantastically.

3. 6180 the Moon
Enjoyable, novel and relaxing platformer. Can't ask for much more.

4. Césure
An amazing experience effortlessly told.

5. Slave of God
Hits way way way too close to home with this one. Recommend playing it highly, but if you have ever been in the situation it is simulating then prepare to be disturbed.

And the almost made its....
Papers, Please!
Skullface
Stardrive

Toma

Glad people are posting some impressions too :) Really cool to see some less likely contenders on these lists too.

Toma

Votes:

1. Factorio
This game swallowed about 15 hours of my time and considering the upcoming updates, no end in sight. The combination of SpaceChem like optimisation for a factory setup in an open world is just way too fun to mess around with. This game is currently in v0.2.10 and I can already guarantee that it will land in my GOTY list.

2. Gorogoa
This game is a celebration of creativity and imagination. Its lovely, intelligent, interesting, thoughtful and most of all blurs the line between interactive storytelling and videogames. The game clearly has adventure like puzzles to push the story forward, but at the same time it employs some mechanics that are so "unvideogame-y" that people can just view it as a toy to play around with and be amazed.

3. Starseed Pilgrim
Considering this game singlehandedly restored my faith in games, I am probably not giving it enough attention. The idea of starting a game where the first part of the game is to explore the mechanics was so damn refreshing and rewarding. This game was a throwback to 10 year old me, first dabbling into videogames again, where everything was new and exciting. It showed me that my "curiosity" isnt gone, its just not provoked by most 'AAA' games anymore due to lack of everything that can make videogames so special.

4. Papers, please
Fantastic concept and how it represents dealing with a rather monotonous task that changes lives is just plain amazing. I also enjoyed the detective work at work here, but this game deserves recognition for its setting and the implication the depicted work provokes. The game is not fully fleshed out yet, but this will be a game many people will enjoy and love. Hail to Arstotzka!

5. The Sea Will Claim Everything
These games seem "childish" due to their simple looking nature, but they are actually highly interesting games. A reviewer put it like this. "This game seems to be made by a 5 year old that read Nietzsche", which kinda hits the mark. There are so many interesting and thoughtful jokes,puns and references in here, that its just a blast to go through this game and read about these. It also doesnt hurt that its actually a capable adventure game too, but the real star of the show is the intelligent and fun use of references. A delight to play.

Honorable mentions:

Maldita Castle - I think this game got a bit too late into the thread, but its a FANTASTIC 2D ghost and goblins type game. It looks great, plays great and is just a perfect throwback to those days. In a not so busy month, this could have landed in my top 5 as well.

Zineth - Fantastic sense of speed and exploration. Very, very, very well executed game. More people should give it a whirl (especially since its free)

Underrail - Its 2D Fallout! It ALMOST made my top 5. They have branching dialogue trees, quirkiness and everything that made the 2D Fallouts fun. This game would have gotten a thread from me, but I notice someone else already did one.

Kentucky Route Zero - Its a bit too expensive, but its a very well made adventure game. The style is plain awesome and the story and meaningful player interaction caught me off guard completely. If more people get to play it (50% steam sale), this game will be considered a classic by many.

Toma

Looking the lists above again, this thread sure had an amazingly big list of great games. Pretty awesome for our first shot at this kind of thread.

Toma

Sneak peak into the Adom 2 monster designs:
Versions.png

Yum!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fantastic thread Toma, is there a February version as well?
Can't wait for La~Mulana reaching Steam next month, hopefully more people will give it a shot since it's amazing.

Toma

Fantastic thread Toma, is there a February version as well?
Can't wait for La~Mulana reaching Steam next month, hopefully more people will give it a shot since it's amazing.

Its going to be a monthly thread and from april onwards, I will link every previous thread. But this is actually the first entry in the thread series, so no february thread ;) I just had this idea of how this thread might play out about a month ago, and I am VERY glad that we developed a small community in here that actually plays these recommended games and also posts suggestions, so that I dont need to do ALL the work.

When La-Mulana releases someone should post their impressions/appreciation in the next thread, so that I can add it to the OP. I am also looking for games and trying them myself, but its rather impossible to try everything and I am not trying to go for the "big" Indie releases right away. (Like I havent put Kentucky in the thread for quite a while until someone mentioned it).

Raxum

Its going to be a monthly thread and from april onwards, I will link every previous thread. But this is actually the first entry in the thread series, so no february thread ;) I just had this idea of how this thread might play out about a month ago, and I am VERY glad that we developed a small community in here that actually plays these recommended games and also posts suggestions, so that I dont need to do ALL the work.

When La-Mulana releases someone should post their impressions/appreciation in the next thread, so that I can add it to the OP. I am also looking for games and trying them myself, but its rather impossible to try everything and I am not trying to go for the "big" Indie releases right away. (Like I havent put Kentucky in the thread for quite a while until someone mentioned it).

I'd be quite happy to help you with trying out games and giving impressions for the OPs.

Toma

I'd be quite happy to help you with trying out games and giving impressions for the OPs.

Sure, sometimes people just throw random stuff in here which they might not have tried personally, like my Desura posts:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49108800&postcount=166
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49113705&postcount=168

I havent tried most of these myself yet, and will only put them into the OP once someone thinks the game is actually interesting enough to put it there. Same thing with A Nation of Wind, Bloomfairy, Order of Twilight etc.

Here are my current top five:

Maldita Castilla: The best Ghost and Goblins game this side of the originals; perfectly balanced and beautiful visuals make this highly recommendable even without taking into account it's FREE. Capcom, learn from this, please. Has a lot of replayability if you intend to see the final stage and true ending. I did discover one secret which I loved. Really great pixel art and charismatic character sprites.
Factorio: Awesome SpaceChem-like where you hand-craft and automate an entire factory the way you like it. Insanely deep tech tree and addicting gameplay.
Gorogoa: Defies description; it's beautifully handcrafted surreal art in movement. Must have taken ages to make; a game to show people who don't consider games "art".
Papers, please!: Harrowing experience that has you racing against the clock to cross-check and validate immigrants' documents, so you can make enough money to feed your family.
Tower of the Gorillion: Charming two-plane (foregrond/background) game that is by far best played cooperatively with another player. Has asymmetric gameplay, which is kind of rare for indie games.

If I had any budget to spend I would have tried Starseed Pilgrim; I might yet buy the pack with Probability 0 and the other two games before the voting ends.

Sneak peak into the Adom 2 monster designs:
Versions.png

Yum!

That looks AMAZING. It's a shame I'm not that much into pure roguelikes, although with art like that I might make an exception.

Edit: Found more:

I simply can't not play a game with those graphics. Yes, I know what that makes me...

I actually have it for Desura, got it in that build-a-bundle a bit back (that I got solely for it). It's an amazing game, an unforgiving Metroidvania which makes you work quite a lot, and the new visuals are really great. Of course, I got it for like 5$ with four other games, I think.

Toma

That looks AMAZING. It's a shame I'm not that much into pure roguelikes, although with art like that I might make an exception.

I really like the variations on the enemy types. Like the different Goblin types with different hair or weapons. Thats really cool and allows for lots of different enemies.

Toma

IndieGamestand has Luminesca currently:
https://indiegamestand.com/

I posted about it a few days ago and just snatched it up for the IGS price. Its really pretty, but the current alpha is still VERY short and doesnt have much gameplay. The concepts in place are already nicely coming together though. If you have any sort of interest in under water exploration type game with nice visuals, I'd recommend buying it for the IGS price ($1). I dont think that its currently worth the 50% off price of $4,50, but for $1 and you getting the whole game (5 chapters) eventually, its a good deal.

Moobabe

Votes and Indies and lots of stuff like that!

Toma's list has demonstrated that I haven't played enough of this month's games..

Luckily the three games I have played happen to be fantastic, though I think they might all fall into the indie stereotype of being "artsy" or "hipster" - but don't think that friends! Get these games!

Kentucky Route Zero

It's a little expensive at the moment - though maybe when all the episodes are out I won't feel the same way. The art is wonderful - but the overall atmosphere of the game is the standout reason to pick this one up. It's wholly unnerving; and the constant feeling of being watched adds to the awkwardness. There's a prologue or demo section online that isn't quite as good as that first episode.

Proteus

These are getting more and more artsy. I can't add much more that isn't in this wonderful piece by Robert Florence on Eurogamer. It didn't quite hit me as much as it did for him, but it's a beautiful game.

Thirty Flights of Loving

This is my favourite game of the three; and unfortunately the shortest. So much intrigue, so much mystery, so many possibilities and no exposition. It's a perfectly crafted experience. Buy this game. Right now. Seriously.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun said so!

Toma

Votes and Indies and lots of stuff like that!

Toma's list has demonstrated that I haven't played enough of this month's games..

You still have a week to check out some of the free Indies to see whether one or two fit your taste ;)

Moobabe

You still have a week to check out some of the free Indies to see whether one or two fit your taste ;)

Well I've picked up... Cart Life, Gnomoria, Bientot l'ete, Lunnye Devitsy, Prison Architect and Wake this month - but I'm having a really hard time getting into games at the moment. Cart Life in particular completely baffles my mind.

Indies are, on occasion, a little obtuse and my frame of mind, as frustrating as it is, won't allow me "get into" things at the moment. I'm hoping Bioshock will change that tomorrow though.

Toma

Well I've picked up... Cart Life, Gnomoria, Bientot l'ete, Lunnye Devitsy, Prison Architect and Wake this month - but I'm having a really hard time getting into games at the moment. Cart Life in particular completely baffles my mind.

Indies are, on occasion, a little obtuse and my frame of mind, as frustrating as it is, won't allow me "get into" things at the moment. I'm hoping Bioshock will change that tomorrow though.

Cart Life was a bit tricky to pick up and play, I highly recommend checking out Gorogoa at least. It was a very refreshing and short experience. :)

Top Bottom