• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Dolphin said:
I realize that Harvest Moon has never been about graphics...but would it hurt them to just try a little bit harder? Not that I don't want the game, it looks fun and I'm sure I'll shell out the money around release day.

Going by memory here, but I'm pretty sure that HMWii looks better than the GC versions - they may not be pushing the hardware, but they are at least making some effort. At this stage, I'd rather see small devs make more effort to get the controls working and finding smart, fun ways to use the system. I expect more of large devs - interesting Wiimote/WiiConnect etc. usage and graphics that reflect the power of the console - but Marvellous get a pass for ramping up their 'Cube engine a bit and working on gameplay, at least for now.

Amir0x

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Going by memory here, but I'm pretty sure that HMWii looks better than the GC versions - they may not be pushing the hardware, but they are at least making some effort. At this stage, I'd rather see small devs make more effort to get the controls working and finding smart, fun ways to use the system. I expect more of large devs - interesting Wiimote/WiiConnect etc. usage and graphics that reflect the power of the console - but Marvellous get a pass for ramping up their 'Cube engine a bit and working on gameplay, at least for now.

harvest-moon-magical-melody-20051207062251448.jpg

harvest-moon-magical-melody-20051207062300681.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well considering that we haven't really seen any screenies bigger than half size we should probably wait to pass judgement on it, but it doesn't look that good to me. But like the other guy said, it's not about that for Harvest Moon.

Amir0x

Banned
I think the graphics in that one GCN Harvest Moon actually looks better than what they have in the Wii Harvest Moon.

But yeah, one can't really expect Marvelous to push graphics with the HM series... let alone on a system that's just a Gamecube

Dolphin said:
I realize that Harvest Moon has never been about graphics...but would it hurt them to just try a little bit harder? Not that I don't want the game, it looks fun and I'm sure I'll shell out the money around release day.

Really?

See I think these have a really clean look to them.

My problem is, and it hurts to admit this b/c I am an absolute HM fanatic, is im starting to get bored with the series.

Its like they have a great formula, but its always missing somthing.

Take the older style games (64, BTN, FOMT DS). These were all great games, but each one of them seemed to have a chunk of somthing missing. But instead of fixing that chuck it seems the figure its getting stale so they totally change the forumla of it, and churn out the new styles (AWL, the new wii one, RF, the 2nd DS one). But by doing this they exclude some of the best things in the older ones, and add some good and some bad ideas. After how many games, when are they finally going to get it right?

Im not sure I really like where this series is headed

Advance the series, but dont lose everything that made it in the first place.

I hope i wrote that in a understandable way.

Amir0x said:
I think the graphics in that one GCN Harvest Moon actually looks better than what they have in the Wii Harvest Moon.

Really? It's not entirely fair to compare crappy caps with the small HMWii images posted above, but I think the Wii version looks cleaner, slightly more detailed and has what seems to be better lighting. Not a massive leap, but a refinement and slight boost of the GC engine.

let alone on a system that's just a Gamecube

Colour me shocked... ;-)

Muppet345

Harvest Moon is about art style - not graphics. They're simple and clean, so that's what matters. I personally like the style for the Wii game. It's like a mix of Magical Melody and A Wonderful Life.

And while I loved Magical Melody, I think the Wii game looks better just because the main character doesn't look like a dumpy retard.

scr_014.jpg

00019.jpg

Scenery and camera angles are much better, too.

How someone can say that Harvest Moon on the GC looks better than on the Wii is absolutely beyond me. The difference (read: improvement) is obvious.

wsippel

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
How someone can say that Harvest Moon on the GC looks better than on the Wii is absolutely beyond me. The difference (read: improvement) is obvious.
People don't really remember what last-gen games looked like it seems.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Heatseeker

This looks actually pretty freaking cool.

Heatseeker video "Impact Cam"*

Please remember that the link will play at however big your browser is. Shrink it down to about 1/4 of your screen for a more accurate idea at how this game will look in motion.

*How long until we get an [embed] [/embed] option on GAF?

wsippel

Banned
Amir0x said:
Sure we remember, they look exactly like Wii games
Actually no. MP3 looks quite a bit better than MP2, PBR looks much better than Gamecube Pokemons, and even Harvest Moon looks noticeable better now. The differences might not be as huge as they are on Xbox360 or PS3, but that was expected. But well, you bought a Wii, so your trolling is justified... :)

Amir0x

Banned
wsippel said:
Actually no. MP3 looks quite a bit better than MP2, PBR looks much better than Gamecube Pokemons, and even Harvest Moon looks noticeable better now. The differences might not be as huge as they are on Xbox360 or PS3, but that was expected. But well, you bought a Wii, so your trolling is justified... :)

"might not be" :lol

Anyway, we're discussing which of the Harvest Moon games look better now so it's most certainly not "noticeable better." But though these screens be tiny, it's easy to tell they don't even remotely look better than any decent GCN title. And that's even if you thought they looked better than the last HM game on Gamecube, which is debatable in of itself. So it's not like it demonstrates any power or some shit, which is what you tried to point out with this post.

And I'm not trying to troll, your comment before was just an easy target for a joke

Amir0x

Banned
Kevar said:
Harvest Moon didn't exactly push the Cube to begin with.

Naturally. That's what I'm trying to say, it's no use trying to use HM to prove Wii has demonstrated power over last-gen (which is what he was trying to do there). Use Super Mario Galaxy, really... that's the best Wii got.

Cherubae

HAL_Laboratory said:
Big fan of the new Harvest Moon art-style. Much improved.

It may be because there is a different designer for this version of the series. The normal guy is working on 2 other games at the moment, so someone new was given the reins for the Wii game.

The new DS game coming out in a few days in Japan uses Magical Melody-like graphics, plumpy cows and all.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
Naturally. That's what I'm trying to say, it's no use trying to use HM to prove Wii has demonstrated power over last-gen (which is what he was trying to do there). Use Super Mario Galaxy, really... that's the best Wii got.

One of the best, sure. Metroid Prime does look a lot improved over the last-gen stuff, though, and DQS looks better than DQVIII (which was quite visually impressive itself). It's not like Galaxy is the only game that's showing a hint of the system's potential.

You're right that it's silly to use Harvest Moon as an example of anything; while Harvest Moon Wii may look better than Harvest Moon did on GameCube, it didn't look all that impressive from a technical perspective to begin with and still doesn't stand out as in any way better than some of the great looking last-gen stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
One of the best, sure. Metroid Prime does look a lot improved over the last-gen stuff, though, and DQS looks better than DQVIII (which was quite visually impressive itself). It's not like Galaxy is the only game that's showing a hint of the system's potential.

DQS doesn't impress me, as it's like DQVIII but with a significantly smaller scale. I don't doubt for a moment they would be able to achieve extremely similar results if they made this game on Gamecube (instead of PS2).

ethelred

Amir0x said:
DQS doesn't impress me, as it's like DQVIII but with a significantly smaller scale. I don't doubt for a moment they would be able to achieve extremely similar results if they made this game on Gamecube (instead of PS2).

Scale doesn't matter. That's an element of gameplay; we were talking about graphics. And it's pointless to engage in hypotheticals such as "I wonder what DQVIII would look like if it was on the GameCube instead of the PS2" -- DQS is more technically impressive on its visuals than the last DQ game which was considered one of the more visually impressive games on the PS2.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Scale doesn't matter. That's an element of gameplay; we were talking about graphics. And it's pointless to engage in hypotheticals -- it is more technically impressive on its visuals than the last DQ game which was considered one of the more visually impressive games on the PS2.

uh, no scale matters. When making a graphic engine for any system, the detail you can put into something diminishes the greater the scale (DQVIII's huge 3D free roaming overworld vs. DQS restrained 'on rails' passageways). That's one reason why Grand Theft Auto doesn't look like Metal Gear Solid 3 in gameplay. That's common sense, I don't even know why you'd try to debate that. So if they made DQS on Gamecube, I think the results would have been astonishingly similar. You're right it's pointless to engage in hypotheticals, but there it is.

ethelred

Amir0x said:
uh, no scale matters. When making a graphic engine for any system, the detail you can put into something diminishes the greater the scale (DQVIII's huge 3D free roaming overworld vs. DQS restrained 'on rails' passageways). That's common sense, I don't even know why you'd try to debate that.

I'd debate it because it's wrong. DQS has more impressive (better details, texturing, etc.) environments and character/monster models than DQVIII's. If we're arguing about the scope of the game, that's one thing, but this was simply a discussion of games' graphics and the only way to effectively gauge those is to make comparisons to previous games' graphics.

Scope is a factor in how developers are able to make something look better. Hey, there's a lot fewer stuff to show in Mario Galaxy as it's using mostly space environments, so that's one way they're able to make the stuff that is there more impressive. But there it is -- whatever the developers use in terms of their techniques, the end result is still what matters when you're making graphical comparisons.

Amir0x said:
Of course it did, it was also on PS2. That's the second half of the equation. However, the diminished scale and added horsepower of GCN would easily put it in the range of where DQS is now. I honestly don't know why people use it as some sort of post mark, technically it's not magic whatsoever.

Well, okay, if you want to keep yourself planted in Candy Land, that's fine. Here in reality all we can do is make comparisons from game to game to gauge graphical improvements.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
I'd debate it because it's wrong. DQS has more impressive (better details, texturing, etc.) environments and character/monster models than DQVIII's. If we're arguing about the scope of the game, that's one thing, but this was simply a discussion of games' graphics and the only way to effectively gauge those is to make comparisons to previous games' graphics.

Of course it did, it was also on PS2. That's the second half of the equation. However, the diminished scale and added horsepower of GCN would easily put it in the range of where DQS is now. I honestly don't know why people use it as some sort of post mark, technically it's not magic whatsoever.

ethelred said:
Well, okay, if you want to keep yourself planted in Candy Land, that's fine. Here in reality all we can do is make comparisons from game to game to gauge graphical improvements.

You can try to use that out if it's to your pleasure, but in an argument where you're trying to demonstrate Wii's power over GCN it is fair game to dissect titles as they need be. You have failed to demonstrate it's something GCN can't do, which is the whole point of this discussion.

Lobster

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Heatseeker

This looks actually pretty freaking cool.

Heatseeker video "Impact Cam"*

Please remember that the link will play at however big your browser is. Shrink it down to about 1/4 of your screen for a more accurate idea at how this game will look in motion.

*How long until we get an [embed] [/embed] option on GAF?

I resized and I resized. I can't resize no more. Looks bad...Seriously..PS1 can do those graphics. It really can. Check out those water effects.

Dolphin

Banned
PS1 can't get anywhere near those graphics, but the game does look bad. It was first made for the PS2, and they probably didn't change the graphics much for the Wii version.

Actually I agree with Amirox when he says that the simplicity of DQS due to its on-rails mechanics has played a big part in why it looks so nice for a Wii game.

That said, I do Ami is underrating the power of the Wii a little. It's not a repackaged gamecube - the specs aren't great but they're still decently superior to the Gamecube. Metroid Prime 3 for example looks quite a bit better than Metroid Prime 2, which was one of GC's best looking games.

Lobster

Banned
Alkaliine said:
Actually I agree with Amirox when he says that the simplicity of DQS due to its on-rails mechanics has played a big part in why it looks so nice for a Wii game.

That said, I do Ami is underrating the power of the Wii a little. It's not a repackaged gamecube - the specs aren't great but they're still decently superior to the Gamecube. Metroid Prime 3 for example looks quite a bit better than Metroid Prime 2, which was one of GC's best looking games.

How come you say that when Nintendo themselves stated it is a boosted Gamecube? Amir0x isn't underrating the System at all...No matter how you put it...Wii is a repackaged Gamecube with boosted specs...

Im not saying this to get on Amir0x good side (I think I hate him anyway.) but some people should come to the fact that Wii is a repackaged Gamecube with boosted specs. Like a boost of steriods or adrenaline.
Its not bad for the Wii though.

Amir0x

Banned
actually all i was saying, joke above aside, was that people are really using the wrong games to try to show Wii is more powerful. I think Mario Galaxy is really the one that goes above and beyond something possible in this generation (PS2, GCN, Xbox) up to this point and shows it's slightly more powerful.

Lobster

Banned
Doesn't change the fact that Wii is a souped up Gamecube.

Mario Galaxy is a great looking game though.Shows exactly how 2nd gen Wii games should look. (considering if its not delayed till 2008.

BlindN-Fan said:
How come you say that when Nintendo themselves stated it is a boosted Gamecube? Amir0x isn't underrating the System at all...No matter how you put it...Wii is a repackaged Gamecube with boosted specs...

Im not saying this to get on Amir0x good side (I think I hate him anyway.) but some people should come to the fact that Wii is a repackaged Gamecube with boosted specs. Like a boost of steriods or adrenaline.
Its not bad for the Wii though.

When I say repackaged Gamecube I mean, literally, a repackaged gamecube.

The leap in specs may not be much but the difference is still there.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I hope they allow for vertical splitscreen with widescreen. Cooking Mama.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I hate this thread. As much as I enjoy the three Wii games I own, I can't help but laugh at the console I bought when looking at screens.

Imagine if the Gamecube had N64 graphics the entire generation...

OH WELL, I'll stay out of this thread, and just play the games :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
McBacon said:
I hate this thread. As much as I enjoy the three Wii games I own, I can't help but laugh at the console I bought when looking at screens.

Imagine if the Gamecube had N64 graphics the entire generation...

OH WELL, I'll stay out of this thread, and just play the games :p

However, I'm quite impressed with Ratatouille. I don't even know what that game is (movie license ?), but the graphics are really not too shabby !

Saoh

we need Capcom and Square Enix game screens in this thread :(

i cant believe a game about a mouse has some of the best light effects on Wii.

Coen

Kilrogg said:
However, I'm quite impressed with Ratatouille. I don't even know what that game is (movie license ?), but the graphics are really not too shabby !

It's the next big Pixar movie.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Infernal Monkey said:
Amir0x stumbles into a Wii thread and it goes to hell, what a shock!

It is like clockwork or something. Well, always best to remember that he hates all Wii games with the fire of a thousand suns despite owning one and leave it at that.

Dolphin

Banned
Saoh said:
we need Capcom and Square Enix game screens in this thread :(

i cant believe a game about a mouse has some of the best light effects on Wii.
I think it's just because someone's making an actual effort.

Top Bottom