• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Batongen

Banned
Wow, I hate to say it, but this is actually quite good graphics for the Wii. At least you can look at it and see that it didn't originate from a GC port.

Amir0x

Banned
Batongen said:
Wow, I hate to say it, but this is actually quite good graphics for the Wii. At least you can look at it and see that it didn't originate from a GC port.

yeah you say 'it originate from a PS2 port'

(ok ok, sorry, had to)

Pimpbaa

Chao said:
55861520070111_210457_2_big.jpg

Wow at that dithering,

16-bit color FTL. I really hope developers find a way around this. Why didn't you increase the framebuffer memory nintendo?! UGH!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dewey's Adventure

dewey-banner2.jpg

This game looks freaking brilliant. And it actually looks good too. Developer said something about "normal mapping" or something, but my eyes only lie when I'm drunk. This thing looks great and like a blast to play. The platformer has returned ladies and gentlemen.

Official Screens from IGN:

Unofficial captures from video (Gameplay - pardon the blur):

dewey-movie-1.jpg

dewey-movie-2.jpg

dewey-movie-3.jpg

dewey-movie-4.jpg

dewey-movie-5.jpg

dewey-movie-6.jpg

dewey-movie-7.jpg

dewey-movie-8.jpg

dewey-movie-9.jpg

dewey-movie-10.jpg

dewey-movie-11.jpg

dewey-movie-13.jpg

dewey-movie-14.jpg

dewey-movie-15.jpg

dewey-movie-16.jpg

dewey-movie-17.jpg

dewey-movie-18.jpg

dewey-movie-19.jpg

dewey-movie-20.jpg

dewey-movie-21.jpg

dewey-movie-22.jpg

dewey-movie-23.jpg

dewey-movie-24.jpg

dewey-movie-25.jpg

dewey-movie-26.jpg

dewey-movie-27.jpg

dewey-movie-28.jpg

dewey-movie-29.jpg

dewey-movie-30.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pud said:
(old matt quote)

IGN Article - Matt said:
IGN Wii: Dewy's Adventure looks to use a top-down perspective and appears very different from Elebits. Elebits was all about manipulation of objects in the environment. Does Dewy's Adventure use heavy physics in the way that Elebits did?

Mukaitoge: For Elebits, we placed a great degree of emphasis on physics. We did not focus much of our energies on the graphical presentation of the game. For Dewy's Adventure, we spent all lot of time on perfecting our graphics technology. We worked hard on our textures. We are very proud to say that we have implemented normal mapping in Dewy's Adventure.

IGN Wii: This may be the first game that we have seen with normal mapping. We weren't really sure if the Wii supported it.

Mukaitoge: REALLY? We used normal mapping for some of the bosses in the game. If you look closely at the trailer, you can see normal mapping on the boss character at the end.

Oh matt. How you have hurt your own cause.

Laurent

Branduil said:
I heard somewhere that the word for orgasm in French means "the little death." Perhaps what Vong was awkwardly trying to say was that when he saw those screens he died a little inside.
B.S.

Orgasm in french is orgasme, which only means what it means...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ipukespiders said:

The question now is whether it is software side or hardware side. Apparently the 360 was the first console to allow it from the hardware side. I'm assuming that the PS3 has it too, but if the Wii was able to do it directly from the hardware that would be a major breakthrough for this level of hardware. We should be seeing some great things coming from the developers that spend the most time with it (Nintendo, Ubisoft, EA, Konami).

I'm kinda pumped up in a geeky sort of way.

volmer

Baiano19 said:
soooo...

What is normal mapping again??
I'll give it a try:

The process of normal mapping is technically nearly identical to the process of texture mapping, but while texture mapping maps texel colors onto pixel colors (pre-lighting), normal mapping maps texel gradients onto pixel gradients.

Typically when a pixel is drawn on the screen, the intensity of that pixel is a function of lighting applied to the corresponding texel. Lighting is often based on the angles between the camera vector and the surface gradient (or polygon gradient), and the surface gradient and the light source. Thus, the more surface gradients you have over a surface, the more detailed lighting you will get.

If you have only one surface gradient you will have similar lighting over the entire surface. Older games used this form of lighting a lot. If you interpolate your surface gradients across the surface (f.ex. between vertices => vertex lighting) you get gouraud shading, which is a linear form of lighting. With normal maps however, because a normal map is used to obtain a predefined gradient per-pixel, it is possible to more correctly calculate light across any given surface, providing that a normal map has been assigned to that surface.

In an ideal world, with an unlimited number of polygons for our models, there would be no need for normal mapping. The smaller your polygons are on the screen, the better lighting you get from simple flat shading. Meanwhile, the more polygons you have on the screen, the longer it takes to draw them. Normal mapping is a really good compromise because it allows the developer to present models with detailed lighting, without having to set the polygon count so high that it hurts performace.

I'll end my ramblings here. :)

Somnid

Pimpbaa said:
16-bit color FTL. I really hope developers find a way around this. Why didn't you increase the framebuffer memory nintendo?! UGH!

It's faking transparency in the muzzle flash, real trasparency and color blending is more costly and in many cases it's hard to see this in motion anyway. It's an unfortunate screenshot, showing the flaws of a common technique. I wouldn't blame this one on Nintendo.

Apenheul

Dolphin said:
And some normal mapping.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Wii is capable of normal mapping, but is it capable of parallax mapping?

Parallax mapping requires dependent texture lookups (it looks up the intensity of the heightmap and uses the viewvector in tangentspace to offset texture-coordinates). Because of this reason it can't be done in one renderpass afaik. I don't know if some developers think it's worth spending another renderpass for an effect which only looks good on very specific surfaces anyway.

It does look nicer but still not good enough for my liking. quite blurry with average textures and geometry. However, HOTP was a great flight game and I'm confident that quality gameplay will be found in Heatseeker (with new and improved waggle!).

Sonic looks really nice.

japtor

why does the f22 have a cartoony virus infection representation as a paint job? does the game have a story line like stealth or something?

Haunted

japtor said:
why does the f22 have a cartoony virus infection representation as a paint job? does the game have a story line like stealth or something?
Personally, it reminds me of the MGS2 menu
port confirmed for Wii?
thingie.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Index updated (first post/front page).

PantherLotus said:
Please do not quote whole posts when replying to this thread.

*Please note that as games are released they will be removed from the index. This will make a more manageable list and make this thread worth coming back to as new games are revealed. Games that made this list but are removed will be found in the appropriate month they were released in (at the bottom). All release dates are US only.*

Month-to-month releases at the bottom!!

INDEX I (pages 1-30+) <-- Clicky
(screen releases/captures, E3-06 to November 06)

INDEX II (pages 40+)
(post-launch and future games, Dec 06 - present)

Alien Syndrome - 1, 2
Bionicle Heroes - 1
Bomberman Land - 1
Bust-A-Move Bash! - 1, 2, 3
Case Closed Wii - 1
Cooking Mama: Cook Off - 1, 2, 3
Compile Heart - 1
Cosmic Family, The - 1
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party - 1
Densha de GO - 1, 2
Dewey's Adventure - 1
Dragon Quest Swords - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Driver: Parallel Lines - 1
Eyeshield 21 - 1
Fire Emblem: Dawn of the Goddess - 1, 2, 3
G1 Jockey 4 - 1
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition 1, 2
Gottlieb Pinball Classics - 1
Godzilla: Unleashed - 1
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting Revolution - 1, 2, 3
Harvest Moon Heroes - 1
Heatseeker - 1. 2
Legend Of the Dragon - 1
Looney Tunes Acme Arsenal - 1
Mahjong Taikai Wii - 1
Mario Party 8 - 1, 2, 3
Mario Galaxy - (coming soon)
Medal of Honor Vanguard - 1, 2
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - 1, 2, 3, 4
Metroid Prime 3 - 1
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - 1
Naruto - 1, 2
No More Heroes - 1, 2, 3
Pinball Hall of Fame - 1
Pokémon Battle Revolution - 1, 2
Prince of Persia: Rival Swords - 1, 2
Ratatouille - 1
SD Gundam Scad Hammers - 1, 2
Sims Wii, The - 1, 2
Sonic and the Secret Rings - 1, 2, 3
SSX Blur - 1, 2, 3, 4
Sudoku - 1
Super Fruit Fall - 1
Super Smash Brothers Brawl - 1, 2
Tamagotchi Party On! - 1
Tiger Woods - 1

=================
January 2007 Releases - (1 title)
February 2007 Releases - (2 titles)
March 2007 Releases - Coming soon!

Shoho

Banned
Wii really needs some more good single player games. I have no friends and since there is no online games, its pretty much a no no for me, as far as most of these games go.

Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy... And that Resident Evil compilation. I don't really wanna do the hole ports of past gen games like Prince of Persia and Godfather and Medal of Honor. All that is just crap.

Fire Emblem... That looks like sh1t. But I have never liked Strategy RPGs(aside from Guild Wars)!

DQ Swords looks like a stupid mini game too... The hole first person view slash the slims, just blows. What a way to destroy a good opportunity. I understand that Wii needs to appeal to casuals but I would appreciate more normal games.

I just sacked my 360(no interesting games for it... too bad cause the achievement system rules) and I dont really see the point of getting a ps3 unless blue-ray kicks ass...

______

Wii is cool... but they should get stuff like DVD playback, an HDD, and better online capabilities aswell as more cool games.

Lobster

Banned
Shoho said:
Wii really needs some more good single player games. I have no friends and since there is no online games, its pretty much a no no for me, as far as most of these games go.

Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy... And that Resident Evil compilation. I don't really wanna do the hole ports of past gen games like Prince of Persia and Godfather and Medal of Honor. All that is just crap.

Fire Emblem... That looks like sh1t. But I have never liked Strategy RPGs(aside from Guild Wars)!

DQ Swords looks like a stupid mini game too... The hole first person view slash the slims, just blows. What a way to destroy a good opportunity. I understand that Wii needs to appeal to casuals but I would appreciate more normal games.

I just sacked my 360(no interesting games for it... too bad cause the achievement system rules) and I dont really see the point of getting a ps3 unless blue-ray kicks ass...

______

Wii is cool... but they should get stuff like DVD playback, an HDD, and better online capabilities aswell as more cool games.

The Wii really isn't the console for you :\ especially how you described some of its big games.

[Nintex]

Shoho said:

Wow, no interesting games for 360 what about:
Lost Planet
Oblivion
Geometry wars
Gears of War
Rainbow Six
Ghost Recon Adv Warfighter
etc.

You forgot to list alot of wii stuff. but since none of these consoles seem to have games you like... just quit gaming alltogether.

Shoho

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Wow, no interesting games for 360 what about:
Lost Planet
Oblivion
Geometry wars
Gears of War
Rainbow Six
Ghost Recon Adv Warfighter
etc.

You forgot to list alot of wii stuff. but since none of these consoles seem to have games you like... just quit gaming alltogether.

yes your list of generic third person shooter is obviously going to convince me that 360 truly is the best thing since, N-Cage.

thank you so much for your wonderful enlightenment.

ivysaur12

Banned
Shoho said:
yes your list of generic third person shooter is obviously going to convince me that 360 truly is the best thing since, N-Cage.

I predict this won't end well.

jvalioli

Shoho said:

You are obviously not interested in nest-gen at all. Just stick with your PS2, Xbox, or Cube til games come out for the new systems that interest you.

Shoho

Banned
jvalioli said:
You are obviously not interested in nest-gen at all. Just stick with your PS2, Xbox, or Cube til games come out for the new systems that interest you.

No does games are fine, but I do want to use my wii more than my 360. Obviously because I don't got an HDTV, but a crappy 20 inch LCD..

I dont feel that games like crackdown and graw2 and all the other "up-coming" games will be worth it on anything less than 40 inch plasma or something. You really do need to utilise does HD systems right. standard def is not the same, I can see that.

but of course I am interested in Next gen. I would rape my own mother to get mass effect or mgs4. god does games look awesome.

All I am saying, is that 360 needs more alternative stuff - stuff like viva. stuff like shadow of the colossus. too many tacked on 8-10 hour action gamers with lackluster story and a crappy online mode with lame features, that cant compare to the average pc online enabled action game.
Live is a great service, but the quality of the online games themself blow...(hint - 16 player max in most games, ranked GoW matches, leader boards, lack of clan support, non unified gaming service...). People are better of with xfire on pc.

Thats at least what I think. So no.. I fail to see 360s merits on quite a few levels. I see the potential, but I like my wii. It's the most pretty box, it does not make as much noise as a lawnmower and it requires less accessories and stuff(like wireless headsets, subscription fees)...

granted, wii really needs some kind of rechargeable battery pack.

It's funny because I was always xbox -> gamecube. damn... I havent seen anything on 360 that impressed me as much as Jet Set Radio Future, GunValkyrie, Halo, Otogi or Panzer Dragoon Orta did back in the day.

so my lack of HDTV is why I am using my wii. despite the fact that I cant make myself complete zelda or make myself buy VC games.

Am I evil because I dont want to play stuff like COD3, NFS, PoP, FarCry or Medal of Honor on my wii? that crap just does not belong. It needs to happen like the DS.. but not be the DS. Trauma center and brain training for wii and warioware can all go to hell. keep that stuff on DS. Find on uniqe stuff on Wii...

Think about how they could make more interesting games like no more heroes on wii? We need more of that...

dragon quest swords is a giant waste. We need a new animal crossing... online. we need some more casual player friendly, almost sadistic mature games. something that will oze of coolness.

like a new berserk game, like the one we had on DC - But with all the nast unpolitical correct stuff that will make jack thompson turn over in his grave, and with competitive online.

skip all the wii code BS and make a good gaming service. ms did it right... besides the actual game quality.

And make me the new President of America. Reggie is cool but he is a controlled puppet and he needs to be contained.

[Nintex]

Shoho said:
but of course I am interested in Next gen. I would rape my own mother
WTF

Shoho said:
Think about how they could make more interesting games like no more heroes on wii? We need more of that...
Dewy's adventure, Elebits, Rayman RR unique stuff and there's more on the way.

Shoho said:
We need a new animal crossing... online.
Wat do you think Nintendo is working on?
It just isn't coming in a 3 month timespan, it takes alot of time to develop games...
And make me the new President of America. Reggie is cool but he is a controlled puppet and he needs to be contained.
Reggie is not the US president.Holy shit you would break bonds with the U.N. and nuke the planet...
Contained, like some Resident Evil experiment.. wtf...

Top Bottom