• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManeKast

I'm listening to every Slayer vinyl tonight in his honor from start to finish. I have signed by him on vinyl : when I met them in 1994 : Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven and Divine Intervention.

Drinking beers in honor of a metal LORD.

/m\

Reign forever.........

cacophony

Such shitty news. Slayer and Jeff were such a huge inspiration on me starting guitar.

Is anyone watch the Golden Gods? this kids face during the Dillinger performance was priceless

Just saw Dillinger Esc Plan on Golden Gods. Holy shit they are so fucking awful. The singer was trying waaaaaaay to hard

^ lol you mean the kids in his dad's back?

edit: I want whatever Manson is on lol

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Danzig looks as though he's bloated and melting at the same time. His actual performance is just... jesus. Says he hasn't been on tv since 1994, but it sounds more like he hasn't performed live since 1994.

That album in general is ridiculous. Seeing Gorguts live during the Obscura tour is even more ridiculous. Seeing the touring guitarist that is a fat hobo pig performing that stuff live is more ridiculous than everything combined.

I caught them on the Death across America tour shortly after Obscura was released. Steeve Hurdle was not only a mountain of a man but he had the most ridiculous rat tail dreadlock I've ever seen. Super nice guy. Tought me a crazy handshake thing.

Still one of the best shows I've ever seen some 15 years or so later. Nile, Cryptopsy and Gorguts. FFFUUUUU

Found out this morning before Jeff Hanneman that he died from surgical complications last May.

Really appalling how many of my heroes are dead :/

bart jr

Neo Member
You know, I've always found it pays to pay attention when Southern Lord signs new bands. I'm digging both of their new releases from Hessian and Agrimonia. And their next release is the highly anticipated Power Trip.

Southern Lord are killing it in 2013 with these newly signed bands.

Just played with Power Trip again last weekend in Chicago, and they are one of the tightest live bands that I've seen. Have you had a chance to check out their previous releases?

http://powertriptx.bandcamp.com/

And a link to a song off their upcoming Southern Lord release is here - http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15272-power-trip-manifest-decimation/

Duji

1. Megadeth - Rust in Peace (11 picks, 1 honorable mention)
593.jpg

2. Judas Priest - Painkiller (5 picks, 2 hms)

3. Sleep - Dopesmoker (5 picks)

4. Opeth - Ghost Reveries (4 picks, 1 hm)

5. (all with exactly 4 picks)
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, Metallica - Master of Puppets, Metallica - Ride the Lightning, Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth, Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

10. (all with exactly 3 picks)
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare, Opeth - Still Life, Opeth - Blackwater Park, Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East,
Judas Priest - Stained Class, In Flames - Jester Race, Entombed - Left Hand Path, Anthrax - Among the Living

18. (all with exactly 2 picks and 1 hm)
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains, Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell, Autopsy - Mental Funeral, At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Favorite bands:
1. Black Sabbath (14 picks, 1 hm)
2. Judas Priest (11 picks, 4 hms)
3. Megadeth (12 picks, 1 hm)
4. Opeth (11 picks, 1 hm)
5. Metallica (11 picks)
6. Iron Maiden (7 picks, 3 hms)
7. Blind Guardian (8 picks)
8. Dark Tranquility (7 picks)
9. In Flames (6 picks)
10. Death (5 picks, 1 hm)
11. Sleep, Morbid Angel (5 picks)
13. Entombed (4 picks, 1 hm)
14. Agalloch, Sonata Arctica (4 picks)

Some extra stats:
35 users voted
25 albums had 2 picks and no honorable mentions
Dio - Holy Diver had the most honorable mentions (3) but no picks

Vio-Lence

Banned
I'll be honest, I don't see the appeal in Nightfall in Middle Earth. If you like bombastic Blind Guardian Imaginations from the Other Side is a lot better, and neither are as much fun as speed metal era Blind Guardian from Tokyo Tales.

Why is Nightfall so frequently listed as a favorite? All the lame spoken word and melodic passages plus filler?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The songwriting on Nightfall is amazing, dude. I don't even care for the spoken word filler at all, but songs like Into the Storm, Nightfall, Mirror Mirror, or Time Stands Still, are among BG's best.

Kaladin

Just played with Power Trip again last weekend in Chicago, and they are one of the tightest live bands that I've seen. Have you had a chance to check out their previous releases?

http://powertriptx.bandcamp.com/

And a link to a song off their upcoming Southern Lord release is here - http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15272-power-trip-manifest-decimation/

Thanks for the link to the new track. Yeah, I've checked out some of their old stuff and this album has been the release I've been looking forward to this year.

Power Trip sounds like that band out of the 80s you never heard of that was just as good as Metallica or any other thrash bands coming out of that era. They have potential to be big.

Why is Nightfall so frequently listed as a favorite? All the lame spoken word and melodic passages plus filler?

Yea, i don't completely understand either. Feels like an entire filler album, but I guess it was the complete transformation towards the over the top style.

Great list of picks though, I own all of those albums except Ghost Reveries.

I'll be honest, I don't see the appeal in Nightfall in Middle Earth. If you like bombastic Blind Guardian Imaginations from the Other Side is a lot better, and neither are as much fun as speed metal era Blind Guardian from Tokyo Tales.

A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time comes with an special edition of Nightfall in Middle-Earth that has no spoken passages and is 75% better as a result. However it remains nowhere near as good as Imaginations.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Yea, i don't completely understand either. Feels like an entire filler album, but I guess it was the complete transformation towards the over the top style.

Great list of picks though, I own all of those albums except Ghost Reveries.

ya same here, minus Shitwater Park.

blahness

Three weeks until MDF. Super-hyped mode starts now!

Friday:
Convulse - 5:05 - 5:50
Benediction - 6:15 - 7:05
Pig Destroyer - 7:10 - 7:55
Repulsion - 8:00 - 8:45
Righteous Pigs - 8:50 - 9:40
Carcass - 9:50 - 11:00

ShaneB

Nightfall in Middle Earth rules.

I've never understood the Opeth love either, but tracks like Credence, To Bid You Farewell, and Windowpane are fantastic. I just hate their death metal stuff.

I'm surprised to see no mention of Symphony X on any of those favourite lists. :(

jmdajr

Hmm, we had a poll?

Anyhow, Golden Gods show wasn't bad at all. Made my want to try and find some new stuff to listen to, as well as digg up my old tunes.

Greg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS.

images
Excellent CD. I've always been a fan of all their releases, but people who haven't enjoyed them since A Celebration of Guilt should check it out because it's a return to that sound.

And the fact that they put the Sunglasses at Night cover right in the middle of the CD is great.

Just saw Dillinger Esc Plan on Golden Gods. Holy shit they are so fucking awful. The singer was trying waaaaaaay to hard
You're crazy. I didn't see the performance in question, but they put on great live shows. Puciato is one of the best live vocalists because his energy is on another level.

I can understand if you just aren't a fan of that style of music, but that doesn't make them awful.

jmdajr

Excellent CD. I've always been a fan of all their releases, but people who haven't enjoyed them since A Celebration of Guilt should check it out because it's a return to that sound.

And the fact that they put the Sunglasses at Night cover right in the middle of the CD is great.

You're crazy. I didn't see the performance in question, but they put on great live shows. Puciato is one of the best live vocalists because his energy is on another level.

I can understand if you just aren't a fan of that style of music, but that doesn't make them awful.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that sub genre, but that performance was pretty intense.

choodi

Banned
I'll never understand the hate people have for Opeth but different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think it is less about hating the band and more about hating some of the overzealous "fans" that will hijack any conversation about metal and inject some garbage about Opeth being better than whatever band happens to be the subject of the conversation.

I haven't seen it much here, but it is similar to how Radiohead fans will hijack any conversation about rock/pop music with the same crap.

There is nothing wrong with Opeth, or most of their fans, but there is definitely something wrong with a small minority of Opeth fans that makes many people hate the band and the rest of the sane Opeth fans just on principle.

The conversation normally goes something like this:

person 1: Hey man, have you heard the new Immortal album?
person 2: Hell yeah, I loved it. It's probably my favourite album of the year.
person 1: Yeah, I love it too.
Opeth fan: Excuse me, I heard you talking about the new Immortal album. It's ok, but Opeth are better.
person 2: Dude, we're not talking about Opeth...
Opeth fan: Yeah, but Opeth are better
person 1: They are not even in the same sub-genre man
Opeth fan: Yeah, but if Opeth were in the same sub-genre, they would make Immortal their bitch. They are such better musicians and Mikael Akerfeldt is a much better songwriter
person 1 and person 2: Look mate, fuck off, Opeth are shit, we hate them.
Opeth fan: You just don't get Opeth, they are too complicated for your tastes
person 1 and person 2 proceed to beat the living shit out of the Opeth fan and vow to never listen to anything Opeth ever release ever again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom