• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Wallpapers, Fan Art & Hi-Res Artwork Thread of Eternal August

Cyrano

Honestly. If you think, that Ubisoft, Activision, EA, or every other top-tier bigger companies letting this amount of risk in their investments wide open to be happen (where we talking about hundreds of millions of dollars or euros), then you must be more naive then you look. They just can't afford or let any room for mistake, or disaster to happen. It's not just a business sense, but common sense as well. Backups are made EVERY DAY. So, I don't know what kind of survey was this, but this is simply bullshit.
Just... a note. Those Earthbound images I posted on the last page are reproductions of scans Nintendo took. They're not originals (and the Earthbound logo is not the original nor a reproduction, but an entirely new logo).

-BLITZ-

Well, this kind of discussion or political debate over gaming industry can go on for ever to nowhere because it will not change that; Much. Like I said before, this is a trend and is our own way of doing something different with our free time.

Is ideal that we should keep the thread to his roots because this can go off way out from what this main thread intended to be in the first place.

I know your concern and I know what your trying to apply Cyrano, but if the past was so harsh with these materials, let us at least begin with the present. Let's not forget that we are standing between this decade of current gen and at least to me, I did manage to have the benefit to pick materials that are much older than my current Gaf account.

I have my own backup twice, plus other locations so I don't see any problems.

Cyrano

Well, this kind of discussion or political debate over gaming industry can go on for ever to nowhere because it will not change that; Much. Like I said before, this is a trend and is our own way of doing something different with our free time.

Is ideal that we should keep the thread to his roots because this can go off way out from what this main thread intended to be in the first place.

I know your concern and I know what your trying to apply Cyrano, but if the past was so harsh with these materials, let us at least begin with the present. Let's not forget that we are standing between this decade of current gen and at least to me, I did manage to have the benefit to pick materials that are much older than my current Gaf account.
I agree that there's no time like the present, but awareness is not just how we begin this process, but also how others, including those in the industry, begin it as well.

I have my own backup twice, plus other locations so I don't see any problems.
While I'm glad for this, I hope that someday you will give this to an artistic or educational institution which can also provide it with longer-term preservation. I'm very glad that you are taking such care with what you have acquired, but while we have some responsibility towards the things we keep, we also have a responsibility towards our cultural heritage and the public welfare.

Preservation is not so much about the here and now, but where we were and where we want to be. Things are transient in the hands of an individual.

edit: really liked this paragraph

Agrippa reminds us that preservation sometimes courts moderate (and even extreme) loss as a hedge against total extinctive loss. It also indirectly shows us the importance of distributing the burden of preservation among the past, present, and future, with posterity enlisted as a preservation partner. However weak the information signal we send down the conductor of history, it may one day be amplified by a later age.

While I'm glad for this, I hope that someday you will give this to an artistic or educational institution which can also provide it with longer-term preservation. I'm very glad that you are taking such care with what you have acquired, but while we have some responsibility towards the things we keep, we also have a responsibility towards our cultural heritage and the public welfare.

I also hope, that you are aware, that these things you are "aquiring" via various, and often not so official channels, are copyrighted, and trademarked, and in some cases you have zero rights to even have them, or use them for any reason. Just for the record...

But if we are getting over this, and you REALLY want to do something about arts, and education, and something like this, why don't you try to start to organize and discuss something OFFICIALLY with the copyright holders, and the authors? I think that should be the way, rather than this "underground movement"...

Cyrano

I also hope, that you are aware, that these things you are "aquiring" via various, and often not so official channels, are copyrighted, and trademarked, and in some cases you have zero rights to even have them, or use them for any reason. Just for the record...

But if we are getting over this, and you REALLY want to do something about arts, and education, and something like this, why don't you try to start to organize and discuss something OFFICIALLY with the copyright holders, and the authors? I think that should be the way, rather than this "underground movement"...
I am...? I already said I was working towards a Ph.D. in Information Studies right? Well, I'm studying this. The thing is, I can't say a whole lot about who I'm working with, because NDAs typically prevent me from saying a whole lot about it. Still, in the next two years or so, I will be able to talk about it more and who I'm working with. That said, The Library of Congress recently took 30TB of tweets right? Well, they can't speak much to the content of those tweets, because even though they have the information, the information is still owned by Twitter, and to a lesser extent, the people who created the information (end-users).

Still, even the paper I just quoted stated that there is a great deal of importance in end-users keeping old stuff and preserving it. Even if they are amateurs, they will likely be a very real group from which academic institutions acquire old things in the future (because temporality suggests that most stuff created by corporations will be lost in time, either due to break-ups or mergers, or simply a lack of care). And the end-user is very important in keeping cultural heritage, in fact they are often the progenitors of its appreciation. See http://themade.org as an example.

Archiving current information, rather than old information, is a much more complicated process than I think most people imagine. More complicated still when a lot of that information can often disappear into ephemera. A big reason why Good Old Games doesn't release a lot of old games is often because the source code is lost, and therefore the game would have to be recoded or hacked in order to work on modern systems.

As Blitz has mentioned, though this may be a smaller movement here, it's clear that certain Russian/Persian and other sites do a lot more trading in this stuff than occurs in the English-speaking world. Though it also seems like a lot of this is done illegally, it's probably better that it's at least being done.

Everybody's Golf

TL;DR - Anyway, I'll move back to our regularly scheduled programming.

icaro9

Banned
Hello,

A little off-topic somewhat, but I went on ettugamer earlier today and couldn't manage to download any of the original file size images on that site... Usually there is a save image icon in the upper-right corner when you preview an image to do so. Has anyone else noticed/experienced this issue lately as well? :(

Has anyone found a way to download HQ pictures from ettugamer.com? any help would be very appreciated

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Honestly. If you think, that Ubisoft, Activision, EA, or every other top-tier bigger companies letting this amount of risk in their investments wide open to be happen (where we talking about hundreds of millions of dollars or euros), then you must be more naive then you look. They just can't afford or let any room for mistake, or disaster to happen. It's not just a business sense, but common sense as well. Backups are made EVERY DAY. So, I don't know what kind of survey was this, but this is simply bullshit.

I think you misunderstand some stuffs a litle. This article is not talking about everyday backups here, but archieving them after the game is shipped. There are stories of game codes and stuffs being destroyed or lost forever for one reason or another. Digital Leisure also ended up working with outside personnel and fans to help recreate Mad Dog McCree and Dragon's Lair as the original source code was lost. Individual backups can come handy at times too when needed.

This specific artwork is one of the examples that was on the brink of being lost forever once.

Sr55F3q.jpg

-BLITZ-

Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine

Measurements:
- 12000 x 8313
- 9462 x 12000
- 9462 x 12000
- 7200 x 1911

The second one is non existent, at least the internet doesn't acknowledge the art not even as wallpaper or sample of how far I went, but after Relic & THQ fall I decided to post it eventually. Don't know for sure where it is now, excluding me or someone else who has it. The art fits this place now.

Muzzy

The second one is non existent, at least the internet doesn't acknowledge the art not even as wallpaper or sample of how far I went, but after Relic & THQ fall I decided to post it eventually. Don't know for sure where it is now, excluding me or someone else who has it. The art fits this place now.

I'm pretty sure print press received it back at the time besides it's been used for the japanese box art:

512bhs0vsxdl._tvub6.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• 3300x4400

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

• 2551x3300
• 5100x3300

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Don't know for sure where it is now, excluding me or someone else who has it. The art fits this place now.
Well, I have it in original PSD for a very long time already, and they actually used this marketing art for online banners, print ads etc. back in the day ^_^
But there is no magazine covers on which you can see this cool art, yes.

Hmm.... since you have posted this artwork already, I think that I have a wallpapers which I made a long time ago.... oh, here they are:

* 2560x1536 (x2)

Lime

Did some amateur photoshopping with the cover art for Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2. I guess it won't count as official, but I think it's a nice cover deserving of a version without logos.

iNvid02

was wondering if there was anything from metro last light. some of the marketing stuff was really great

im a sucker for really dark apocalyptic artwork

Lime

I'm all for preservation of art and code of games, Cyrano, but there simply are some things that aren't worthy of preservation ;)
just kidding of course, the design is just atrocious

Cyrano

Resident Evil: Revelations

* 3600x4500 PNG

;)
Danke.

Also, Lime, I agree that the design is horrendous, but I'm also oddly fascinated with terrible things. Maybe I'm just a consummate lover of trainwrecks?

Speaking of terrible, I came across this the other day, and I'm gonna post it here totally unironically.

Douche Defender

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Dead Rising 2

dzZF2Pj.jpg

* 3508x4843 (x6) from PSD

Full set

Sorry guys, but I need to protect these artworks so for this archive there is a password which all of you can easily find In my profile right here (Biography). I hate to do that right now but there is no other way to share these artworks with all of you.

Moviefan2k4

Neo Member
Hey, all. I've been browsing this place for the last two weeks, but my account wasn't approved until now. I look forward to being an active member of this community; thanks for having me. Would someone please repost the images from "Zero Mission"? Omnibus' old links don't work anymore.

~Josh~

Ceej

Hey guys, this has been brought up and unacknowledged, but what is going on with Ettugamer? I haven't had time until recently, so when I went through there I discovered you can't download full-size images anymore.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
hey guys, we recently made a quite cool BioShock Infinite Songbird wallpaper ... but I wasn't sure if it's allowed to post a link to our website (we've got quite a few screen sizes for it there). Let me know if I can do that, please. Thanks in advance!

here's how it looks (if you're interested):

BioShock.png

ignaciogc

Does anyone knows how to download from et tu gamer? I would appreciate your help.... thank you!

There's a little trick to it, if you want send me a PM and I'll let you know there, since I'm not sure it should be posted openly in the forum...

Edit:
Trick closed off - I knew I shouldn't have said anything... Oh well :(

There's a little trick to it, if you want send me a PM and I'll let you know there, since I'm not sure it should be posted openly in the forum...

Edit:
Trick closed off - I knew I shouldn't have said anything... Oh well :(

Oh man, sorry I saw your post too late :(

The owner said on his twitter account "Gallery Locked: The gallery will be locked indefinitely..." so no downloads for now :(

Thank you Icaro, I didn't know that it was locked...so I will wait then! :(

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Anyone have Kid Icarus Uprising? The links seem to not work.

hey guys, we recently made a quite cool BioShock Infinite Songbird wallpaper ... but I wasn't sure if it's allowed to post a link to our website (we've got quite a few screen sizes for it there). Let me know if I can do that, please. Thanks in advance!

here's how it looks (if you're interested):

BioShock.png

Looks brilliant. Good work.

Top Bottom