• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Elite officially announced. GameSpot Feature

Kevar said:
I have a question for you guys. Just how loud is the 360?

My XBOX is louder than my 360 while playing DVDs. During gaming, my 360 is marginally louder than my XBOX. I don't have much problem with the system's noise. It might be that my XBOX has too much dust in it, and I got used to its noise levels or something, I don't know and don't care.

GhaleonEB said:
MS should have waited until they dropped the price and slid the Elite in at the top thus:

$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite

If you have to hold off until the fall to do it, so be it. I think that would have been a much smoother transition for MS. Of course, I'm still assuming a price cut is coming this fall, and given how I've been wrong at guessing everything MS is going to do, that may not be a safe assumption. :lol

MS are milking the audiovideophile segment with the pricing for now, when that well has run dry they'll probably go for a price drop that will probably put things into a better perspective. Though I think your 100 dollar price drop idea is a tad over the top and unlikely. 450/350/250 is more likely. The 250 core would even give the Wii a run for its money, why push things down further?

Kevar said:
I have a question for you guys. Just how loud is the 360? I've listened to Youtube videos but there's not a lot of comparison in them to other stuff. I game in a very tiny, quiet room with the volume on low. The system and television are four feet away from me, and people are usually asleep in the next room over while I do so. Is the system going to significantly drown out the television and make a lot of noise, or is its noise output exaggerated? What would you compare the noise to?

I didn't think I'd have to deal with this if I waited for the Elite but apparently so.

honestly it's pretty loud if you're not using a surround sound system. it probably won't drown out the tv volume, but it will annoy you.

Barnolde said:
At least the d-pad will be usable with the black controller and actually be good like the controller S's d-pad was, right? People didn't like the Duke and they got the S fairly quickly (6-8 mos after it launched, right?), the 360 has an unfunctional d-pad (when I push down it should NOT go left) and if it was the original Xbox, it would've been fixed already. I refuse to have to sand down my otherwise perfect controller just to get one part to a functional state.

other than that survey what indication do we have that the d-pad will be any better?

Agent Icebeezy said:
Maybe I'm looking at this with my early adopter eyes and my need to have the top of the line everything.

I'm with you there. If the Elite has 65nm chips, a quiter drive, and is $400 this Fall I'll probably get it because I'm anal like that. Shame it won't be white, though...

Norse

J-Rzez said:
Read your post I quoted... You said "But as long as 360 outsells ps3 in NA each month, I am fine with whatever they do cause my 20 gig premium can play all the kickass games."... WTF does it matter just so they outsell the PS3 in NA? If they don't, is that going to upset you that your gaming experience will now be less kickass? WTF does that have to do about anything is what I want to know...

I don't even know why I'm trying to rationalize with someone that bought, what is it now, 9 PS3's?

Maybe if the PS3 sells more than the 360 then month to month, you can enjoy it more, just what are you going to do with the 360 since there's not F@H? I'll enjoy good games on my PS3 or 360 regardless...

If anything, your post shows about everything you say in PS3 threads as crap...

my 2nd ps3......and its running like a champ. Litle loud in the fan area while folding though..

what I meant about the sales thing is that 3rd party devs will contiue to look at 360 as a lead sku as long as it continues to outsell ps3....and as a huge fan of the 360 contoller layout I much rather that be the case....somebody make a 360-to-ps3 cotroller converter and it wouldnt matter as much...I do like lives communication abilities better than the current ps3 versions, but that can always change as well.....its that damn ps2/3 controller I hate so much. hehe....thats all.

oh, an 1 other thing...doesnt this elite moel just seem like something MS dreamed up for pro athletes? They can have the elite 360 in there pads now.

GhaleonEB

tahrikmili said:
MS are milking the audiovideophile segment with the pricing for now, when that well has run dry they'll probably go for a price drop that will probably put things into a better perspective. Though I think your 100 dollar price drop idea is a tad over the top and unlikely. 450/350/250 is more likely. The 250 core would even give the Wii a run for its money, why push things down further?
The system will be two years into the lifecycle by this fall, so I think a $50 price cut would be insubstantial. At any rate, sales are actually up over last year, so cutting a price in such circumstances also doesn't make sense. Whatever they do, this SKU is basically an announcement that the price isn't dropping until at least the fall.

I'm curious how the market - as opposed to GAF - will react. NPD will be interesting and really hard to predict when this SKU launches.

Fusebox

Banned
Kevar said:
This really irritates me. The 360 has a game market that I want to be apart of right now but unless I want to settle for busted hardware, I have to wait until later this year.

"Busted"?

Did the PSX become "busted" the moment the PSOne came out? Is my PS2 now "busted" because there's a slimline version? Will the PS3 as we know it be considered "busted" the day Sony inevitably release a redesign?

Thats like, the worst reason ever not to jump into a games market you yourself said you want into.

what a useless piece of crap. The price is going in the wrong direction. They better cut the price on the other models.

HDMI output isn't much of an advance when the hd-dvd is connected by unprotected USB.

As Sony pointed out, this box makes the 20gb PS3 look good since it is a mere $21 more and comes with a blu-ray player.

MSFT is becoming too arrogant.

Has anyone figured out how to upgrade your own 360 HDD? $179 for 120gb sux.

manzo

speculawyer said:
Has anyone figured out how to upgrade your own 360 HDD? $179 for 120gb sux.

I'm quite sure there will be. You can change now your own 20gb HDD via a firmware flash. I'm propably going to do this, just swap out the current 20gb HDD and add a flashed normal 120gb drive when it's possible.

DjScream3

elite222.jpg
elite333.jpg

elite444.jpg
elite555.jpg

elite666.jpg
elite777.jpg

rage1973

Stupid, stupid move Microsoft. You can try to spin this any way but this just adds marginal things and raises prices on the good. Why aren't they working to cut price to try to get the product into more hands. They can't learn a lesson from what Sony is going through. I have been a big Xbox fan for several years but the direction they are heading with 360 I am starting to wonder if I am going to support them any longer as a customer. It appears that they do not care for the consumer at all and wants to suck as much dollar as possible from reading about the GOW free download content This is someone that has Xbox, Xbox 360, HD DVD drive, wireless headset, vision camera, and 46 360 games.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Why does everybody keep talking about HD-DVD. Microsoft doesn't give a shit about the format war of Blu-ray or HD-DVD when they have their video marketplace that makes them more. They have their format there, WMVHD. Not to mention IPTV. I truly believe that the HD-DVD drive was solely for the purpose of Sony not having blue laser diodes. Since they've sorted that out, MS is like **** the HD-DVD drive. Chances are is that DVD will be the last dominant disc format. Downloadable everything is the future.

rage1973 said:
Stupid, stupid move Microsoft. You can try to spin this any way but this just adds marginal things and raises prices on the good. Why aren't they working to cut price to try to get the product into more hands. They can't learn a lesson from what Sony is going through. I have been a big Xbox fan for several years but the direction they are heading with 360 I am starting to wonder if I am going to support them any longer as a customer. It appears that they do not care for the consumer at all and wants to suck as much dollar as possible from reading about the GOW free download content This is someone that has Xbox, Xbox 360, HD DVD drive, wireless headset, vision camera, and 46 360 games.

WTF? :lol

Barnolde

Banned
Norse said:
my thoughts exactly.

For the guyssitting and waitin for the 65nm 360's...buy one now with 2 yr extended best buy warranty or wing it with ms 1 yr....my launch syste is fine still. I did buy a best buy 2 yr warranty, so I feel safe enough.

No, don't buy one now, wait for the 65nm. Why should you have to pay more, because MS released a shoddy product? Besides, many don't take solace in Best Buy. Look at all the tricks people have come up with to make the 360 work, come on, a ****ing TOWEL?!

It's crap hardware that was cheaply made and rushed to market, 65nm is right around the corner and addresses the heat issue, wait for it, don't take the risk with a shoddy product.

GhaleonEB said:
Well, just listen to the segment.

The Core is just the system and wired controller, and composite cables.

What if someone wants to buy the 360 with the bigger HDD? The options are spend $580 for the Premium plus bigger HDD, or get a Core and the 120 GB drive, but not get the headset, wireless controller and component cable with it. Pretty crappy choices. Solution? Elite SKU. It makes sense. I just think it will be detrimental without a price cut. MS should have waited until they dropped the price and slid the Elite in at the top thus:

$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite

If you have to hold off until the fall to do it, so be it. I think that would have been a much smoother transition for MS. Of course, I'm still assuming a price cut is coming this fall, and given how I've been wrong at guessing everything MS is going to do, that may not be a safe assumption. :lol

There is still a small chance they might launch it with that price structure.

MS obviously has to announce the new SKU well in advance. Everyone has seen the factory pics, and it would be ridiculous to spring a new product on consumers the day before release. BUT it would also be ridiculous to tell everyone that there will be a change in pricing.

What choice does MS have here.....if they say the elite will be $399 then eveyone knows there's a price drop coming....and if they don't announce a price everyone will speculate that a price drop is coming.

Well I doubt that they will actualy launch it at $399, but it's worth noting that if they WERE going to launch it at that price, the wisest thing to do would be to say it will be $479.

Norse

Barnolde said:
No, don't buy one now, wait for the 65nm. Why should you have to pay more, because MS released a shoddy product? Besides, many don't take solace in Best Buy. Look at all the tricks people have come up with to make the 360 work, come on, a ****ing TOWEL?!

It's crap hardware that was cheaply made and rushed to market, 65nm is right around the corner and addresses the heat issue, wait for it, don't take the risk with a shoddy product.

I would saythe launch systems were rushed and shoddy.....the new ones right now arent....and the large majority of dead 360's came from launch or the refurbs sent back to them from ms.

About this towel trick...exactly how does going to 65nm change how things are soldered in the system? Yeah, thats what I thought....it doesnt.

Norse said:
I would saythe launch systems were rushed and shoddy.....the new ones right now arent....and the large majority of dead 360's came from launch or the refurbs sent back to them from ms.

About this towel trick...exactly how does going to 65nm change how things are soldered in the system? Yeah, thats what I thought....it doesnt.

As much as I hate to admit, eliminating some thermal issues may eliminate the need of such a huge cooler, which will strain the mainboard, and hence the solders, less.

My unit never had a single ****up, the only time I got some red lights was when I was trying to change my component cables for a 3rd party VGA cable, which I couldn't manage to plug in completely, because it was very bad quality. Every light i see is green :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Has there been any indication of when this will come to Europe? Later in the year doesn't sound very encouraging.

Uff..I feel paralysed right now. I want to get a 360 before the Halo3 beta, but now I can't bring myself to get a 20GB premium. I know I'll at least want a bigger HDD later (whatever about a quieter, cooler system), and I don't want to be paying for seperates. If this were available, 120GB would cost me $80 more than the premium, not $180.

vdo

Many posts are concentrating on the number of SKUs from a consumer's perspective, but there is also the logisitcs to consider. MS now has to decide how to allocate the 3 SKUs and fill the channel appropriately. Having more variations of a product gives you more visibility, but in the case of technology, this means more inventory and means MS is paying for more parts in the present when they are more expensive than down the line. That is why computer manufacturers try to have as little inventory in the pipeline as possible and do "just in time" inventory and build to order as much as possible.

Not only that but I also wonder what happens as they actually do introduce the 65nm chips. Are they going to have a 65nm version for all 3 SKUs? If so, they will have to figure out how clear 3 SKUs out of inventory as much as possible to be able to introduct the 65nm ones without causing everyone to switch to buying the 65nm and have a bunch of unsold 90nm ones. Normally console manufacturers phase out one SKU and replace it with another. But this would theoretically leave them with 6 SKUs for a certain period of time since SKUs overlap when introduced in this way. Even if they decide not to introduce a 65nm core and do price drops and have only premium and elite versions, that will still leave 5 SKUs at a certain point. And do they price them differently to help move the 90nm (thus adding more confusion) or keep them the same price? Again, I know that other consoles have faced these issues of revisions, but not to the level of all these different SKUs to replace. To me those future possible problems could cause more confusion and retailer headaches.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So $479, would probably tranlate into £350 in the UK (Going by Prem current price of £270), and the HD at £125ish, no buy, if anything it may encourage people to buy PS3 instead because the perceived price jump between 360/PS3 would be significantly reduced.

Anyway, for $479 they couldn't add wi-fi (something Nintendo managed for their $250 Wii), and wont add any link cables etc? shoddy, it's almost like they want to let Sony back in the console wars, madness.

FredFish

gofreak said:
Has there been any indication of when this will come to Europe? Later in the year doesn't sound very encouraging.

Uff..I feel paralysed right now. I want to get a 360 before the Halo3 beta, but now I can't bring myself to get a 20GB premium. I know I'll at least want a bigger HDD later (whatever about a quieter, cooler system), and I don't want to be paying for seperates. If this were available, 120GB would cost me $80 more than the premium, not $180.

If you don't care about HDMI buy a Core now and get the big hdd when available. The head-spinning thing about this new sku is that it makes the Premium the new 'tard pack.

Barnolde

Banned
Norse said:

The towel trick was an example of all the bullshit that's needed to get your $400 system working again. Why Xbox fans continuously allow MS to rape them is beyond me, but they just keep putting up with their crap. Products like the Intercooler (which is actually bad for your system) didn't exist until the 360, there was no Xbox or PS2 intercooler. What I'm saying is that there shouldn't be a need for all these user-fixes and workarounds. If MS just made a decent product from the start, there wouldn't be these issues.

How are the new systems not shoddy, it's the same tech, they may not be as poorly made, but I certainly wouldn't gamble $400 when I know a definite fix is coming in a couple months.

tahrikmili said:
As much as I hate to admit, eliminating some thermal issues may eliminate the need of such a huge cooler, which will strain the mainboard, and hence the solders, less.

Pretty much. Heat is an issue, 65nm runs cooler, thus heat wouldn't be as much of an issue. 65nm will only help the 360, not hurt it.

vdo said:
Many posts are concentrating on the number of SKUs from a consumer's perspective, but there is also the logisitcs to consider. MS now has to decide how to allocate the 3 SKUs and fill the channel appropriately. Having more variations of a product gives you more visibility, but in the case of technology, this means more inventory and means MS is paying for more parts in the present when they are more expensive than down the line. That is why computer manufacturers try to have as little inventory in the pipeline as possible and do "just in time" inventory and build to order as much as possible.

Not only that but I also wonder what happens as they actually do introduce the 65nm chips. Are they going to have a 65nm version for all 3 SKUs? If so, they will have to figure out how clear 3 SKUs out of inventory as much as possible to be able to introduct the 65nm ones without causing everyone to switch to buying the 65nm and have a bunch of unsold 90nm ones. Normally console manufacturers phase out one SKU and replace it with another. But this would theoretically leave them with 6 SKUs for a certain period of time since SKUs overlap when introduced in this way. Even if they decide not to introduce a 65nm core and do price drops and have only premium and elite versions, that will still leave 5 SKUs at a certain point. And do they price them differently to help move the 90nm (thus adding more confusion) or keep them the same price? Again, I know that other consoles have faced these issues of revisions, but not to the level of all these different SKUs to replace. To me those future possible problems could cause more confusion and retailer headaches.

65nm is not a new SKU, it's just smaller, cooler, less expensive, etc. It's something that all consoles get over time as costs go down and new tech comes out, 360 would've had it already had it not been delayed again from spring until summer.

65nm is not something that the average consumer will ever know about and shouldn't have to care about, but the 360's shoddy hardware is clearly a special circumstance. Don't think of 65nm as a change, but as a refinement.

Muppet345

Fusebox said:
"Busted"?

Did the PSX become "busted" the moment the PSOne came out? Is my PS2 now "busted" because there's a slimline version? Will the PS3 as we know it be considered "busted" the day Sony inevitably release a redesign?

Thats like, the worst reason ever not to jump into a games market you yourself said you want into.
Busted as in the amount of people who have it break on them, not that it'll be outdated. I don't like feeling forced to buy extended warranties.

Fredrik

Stop It said:
if anything it may encourage people to buy PS3 instead because the perceived price jump between 360/PS3 would be significantly reduced.
That's exactly what I think will happen. This is a stupid move in my opinion. They should've announced some kind of HDD shell that we could install any regular HDD into and lowered the price on the current models instead.

Agent Icebeezy

Stop It said:
So $479, would probably tranlate into £350 in the UK (Going by Prem current price of £270), and the HD at £125ish, no buy, if anything it may encourage people to buy PS3 instead because the perceived price jump between 360/PS3 would be significantly reduced.

Anyway, for $479 they couldn't add wi-fi (something Nintendo managed for their $250 Wii), and wont add any link cables etc? shoddy, it's almost like they want to let Sony back in the console wars, madness.

Nintendo Wi-fi is shit, please dont mention it. I still can't connect online.

arne

Fredrik said:
That's exactly what I think will happen. This is a stupid move in my opinion. They should've announced some kind of HDD shell that we could install any regular HDD into and lowered the price on the current models instead.

Wait, wait. You are all saying that basically people are settling for an Xbox 360 when they what they really want is a PS3?

And that people aren't buying the PS3 because it's a lot more expensive than the X360?

People aren't buying the PS3 presumably because it's expensive, not because it's $x more expensive. Let's add that maybe there's no library of compelling software to justify the price point yet, which is what everyone here also points at when looking at Feb NPD, etc., etc.

Sure that would be rational, but most everybody here says the video game consumer is an irrational consumer.

I bet you that consumers that go to buy a X360 these days, are Xbox 360 intenders, not PS3 switchers. That substitution crap maybe only happens during the holidays.

make up your minds.

MCD

Ripoff?

this is business, they are expanding their market further for new people...etc...whatever.

it's a smart move in my own opinion, it's all in the choices.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Agent Icebeezy said:
Nintendo Wi-fi is shit, please dont mention it. I still can't connect online.

*Massive OT segway*

Funnily enough mine got a better signal than my old Belkin USB wireless adaptor on one of my computers (It has since been replaced).

Haunted

Three thoughts:

An HDMI cable is included? I didn't expect that - good choice, Microsoft.

479$ is definitely too much.

The black 360 does not look better than the white version.

Agent Icebeezy

arne said:
Wait, wait. You are all saying that basically people are settling for an Xbox 360 when they what they really want is a PS3?

And that people aren't buying the PS3 because it's a lot more expensive than the X360?

People aren't buying the PS3 presumably because it's expensive, not because it's $x more expensive. Let's add that maybe there's no library of compelling software to justify the price point yet, which is what everyone here also points at when looking at Feb NPD, etc., etc.

Sure that would be rational, but most everybody here says the video game consumer is an irrational consumer.

I bet you that consumers that go to buy a X360 these days, are Xbox 360 intenders, not PS3 switchers. That substitution crap maybe only happens during the holidays.

make up your minds.

I don't think that, not by a long shot, but the price point was one of the biggest advantages Microsoft appeared to have. I think that they should have gone for a price drop and then introduced this around Halo 3 or Christmas. I think the Elite is a must, but I just question the timing. Userbase penetration should be on the goal and you do that with lower prices. If I were at Microsoft, I wouldn't even give Sony the time to gain traction. Blu-Ray is still in it's infancy, none of the games people associate with PS staples are here yet. This was go for the fatality time and it seems as if they've let it slip away. I know that there is a pressure for the Xbox business to make money, but I hope the bean counters didn't mess up with this. For the techie in me, I'm happy because this means I'm going to get a new toy in a year when I can utilize it. I just hope that price doesn't remain that way for long.

arne

Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't think that, not by a long shot, but the price point was one of the biggest advantages Microsoft appeared to have. I think that they should have gone for a price drop and then introduced this around Halo 3 or Christmas. I think the Elite is a must, but I just question the timing. Userbase penetration should be on the goal and you do that with lower prices. If I were at Microsoft, I wouldn't even give Sony the time to gain traction. Blu-Ray is still in it's infancy, none of the games people associate with PS staples are here yet. This was go for the fatality time and it seems as if they've let it slip away. I know that there is a pressure for the Xbox business to make money, but I hope the bean counters didn't mess up with this. For the techie in me, I'm happy because this means I'm going to get a new toy in a year when I can utilize it. I just hope that price doesn't remain that way for long.

aha, very good points and that is indeed the unknown here.

i personally believe there's nothing to lose here at the time. and this is a good time to try something risky and different with the console varieties. you don't **** around at holiday time because then that's flirting with disaster.

again, good points, we'll see how this works out then.

Aaron

Barnolde said:
The towel trick was an example of all the bullshit that's needed to get your $400 system working again. Why Xbox fans continuously allow MS to rape them is beyond me, but they just keep putting up with their crap. Products like the Intercooler (which is actually bad for your system) didn't exist until the 360, there was no Xbox or PS2 intercooler. What I'm saying is that there shouldn't be a need for all these user-fixes and workarounds. If MS just made a decent product from the start, there wouldn't be these issues.
There was a system cooler for the Dreamcast, and I'm pretty sure there actually was one for the PS2. They just weren't that popular because they were useless, much like the intercooler. 360 is more complex hardware, so it needs to be treated better. Got mine in May and not a single problem. The thing barely gets warm after an extended play session.

Can someone explain to me what SKUs are and why people are complaining about them? Aren't they the bar code on every item that tracks what's been sold? If so, what's the problem with all different versions of the 360 having different SKUs? Isn't that just saying x number of Cores were sold, y number of Premiums were sold, etc.?

xabre

Banned
I like the 360, I like the interface, it has a good library of games, XBLA is cool....

but.....

Anyone who buys this is DUMB.

D.U.M.B

Don't get ripped off...don't encourage this sort of shit by buying their product.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FredFish said:
If you don't care about HDMI buy a Core now and get the big hdd when available.

That's a thought. I'll have to do some research, there's also the issue of retail deals and how they compare across skus (although that'll be the same with the Elite..but I think it'll be the one stores are pushing as they do with premium now).

Agent Icebeezy

McDragon said:
No, apparently, Microsoft doesn't believe in built in wifis.

I wouldn't either when I can make charge 100 bucks on a 15 dollar item. However, I do understand their stance about choice, I just wish they didn't make everyone pay out the ass for it. Once you throw something into the system, it becomes locked in.

xabre said:
I like the 360, I like the interface, it has a good library of games, XBLA is cool....

but.....

D.U.M.B

Don't get ripped off...don't encourage this sort of shit by buying their product.

If I were a first time 360 buyer, I would buy this. With the options that are given for the 360, I would get this, especially of the 65nm cpu were in it

MCD

xabre said:

but.....

D.U.M.B

Some people ain't interested in games, they bought the PS3 for Blu-Ray, movies..hi def..hdmi..etc...

it is the same here with Elite, and down the road when it gets cheaper, everyone gonna get this...after like 3 more years, lulz.

So, I guess it's been mentioned allready, but...

I think MS is making a mistake here by setting the price to PS3 levels. By doing that they basically confess that the core & normal X360 are basically "less good" than the PS3. They're trowing away their only (big!) advantage against Sony.
Also, the price for the Hard Drive is insane. :lol

And also, I don't like the black color. Now it really is starting to look like a normal computer.

Odysseus

Banned
arne said:

make up your minds.

there's no doubt in my mind that most people that only owned a ps2 would rather get a ps3. that's just human nature, stick with what you know. all their favorite games will be there, that's not an issue. the only issue is how much they are willing to spend for it. if it turns out xbox 360 is also getting all their favorite games and at a price much lower (and, besides, they don't get all those hd, blu-ray mumbo jumbo), then maybe xbox 360 actually is a viable alternative.

microsoft right now should be thinking of a way to solidify that switchover. january and february npds are clear indicators that sony is going to have a hard time, microsoft should be in a position right now to make that hard time much worse. but then they go and announce a new sku that carries a higher price, and you are left to wonder, does microsoft even care about getting to the mainstream? or are they completely oblivious how to get to it? or maybe do they expect halo 3 and grand theft auto iv to do all that work for them?

for whatever reason, consumers are rejecting the core, arne. there's no denying it. the rationale has been that sometime down the line when it's at a lower price, then people will start to buy it. that'd be easier to swallow if a sizable percentage were actually buying it now. since they aren't, we can only hypothesize why people aren't going for it even now. is it because they recognize the lack of functionality? or is it because they don't want to settle for a lesser version? or maybe somewhere in between? for microsoft's sake, it better be the functionality. if the major reason is due to the lesser image, the elite is basically what many in this thread, myself included, say it is: a price increase in the eyes of the average consumer. and that is precisely the opposite of what the 360 needs if it is to be the dominant force of the industry.

which, again, brings us back to something i asked earlier, does microsoft actually care about the mainstream? or is it just about becoming the media hub and appealing to the ultra-hardcore techies, and if you aren't interested in that then screw you.

bill0527 said:
Microsoft Xbox 360 elite - $479 + wifi adapter $99 + HD-DVD drive $199 = $777

Playstation 3 60GB - $599 and if you want to make the hard drives equal, throw in another $82 for a 120gb ATA notebook drive = $681 oh wait.. forgot to add the $7 HDMI cable you can get from monoprice so your new total is $688

Both prices f'n suck.

I'm almost ready to do a goat sacrifice and pray to the gods that this industry crashes.
samreach_sm.jpg
:lol

Kosma

Banned
With the Elite and the bigger HDD now announced will Microsoft finally release the Video Marketplace in Europe?

What's the point of releasing the bigger HDD here if there's nothing to put on it?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
dummmmmmmmmb

Made sense as a limited edition that got made white and set as the premium sku in 3 or 4 months but **** paying that much extra for features they've been telling us we dont need for the last 8 months.

iamblades

I don't really get what MS is thinking with their pricing/release strategy here.

I am looking to buy a 360 soon, but want the 65 nm revision mostly, the HDMI and bigger HD were of lesser importance to me.

What is the purpose of launching a new SKU at a higher price without the 65 nm revision? All it does is cause confusion and lessen their perceived price advantage.

I would've waited till the 65 nm revision was ready(cant be more than a few months off, right?) and launched it with HDMI and the bigger HD at $400, and dropped the premium to $300 and eliminate the core SKU. This way you cap the number of HD-less 360s so software can utilize the HD without worrying about compatibility.

65 nm, HDMI, $400, you got me MS.

Top Bottom