• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

FyreWulff

I more meant "version 2" as an entirely new software platform. What upgrades that entails I think would be unique to each hardware platform, but I'd say at a minimum there's things like core engine improvements, physics and obviously the menu navigation and general aesthetic... that sort of thing (as an educated guess). So each hardware platform has it's own strengths and weaknesses, but the ones they can upgrade, they will (depending on how flexible X platform is on patching/updating). I believe there was talk of the first/next 360 release to be using this base, but they weren't sure on the PS3 getting it because of how PSN handles updates (I believe).

If that makes sense :)

No problemo. Sadly it means I have to wait as well, but it's all for the best. Such a shame we still have no definitive version, with the 360 being the closest (but never updated), PS3 experiencing flipper lag compared to the 360 one, the PC one nowhere to be found and the handheld devices obviously severely hardware limited.

I don't think it's just your luck, remember ST:TNG is a cunt of a table ;) Glad to hear there's no lag detected... have you played both the PS3 and 360 versions? Would you say it's as responsive as the latter?

Responsive as the 360 version. I remembered the complaints from this thread as I was playing it and spammed the buttons, they kept instantly reacting no matter what was going on.

Shaneus

Responsive as the 360 version. I remembered the complaints from this thread as I was playing it and spammed the buttons, they kept instantly reacting no matter what was going on.
Fantastic, thanks! I realise it can seem all too pedantic, especially when we're talking microseconds... but that delay, my brain just can't adjust to it at all. Glad the PS4 version is hitting the ground running, then!

Shaneus

Zaccaria Pinball update is out. New table (Hot Wheels) and the following features:
*New IAP, "Used Table". Includes dirty playfield textures, as well as it gets dirtier and dirtier as balls roll over it (I also suspect it slows down the ball slightly as well, depending on wear level)
*Call Attendant
*Touch Nudge (yay!)
*New physics variables: ball velocity (max sspeed of ball) and slingshot power.
and shitloads of fixes for various tables.

Default physics have been tweaked and fixed as well. Props to these guys, they're really nailing the hell out of this title and making Farsight look decidedly average by comparison.

you can do it. I've been holding off for about ten months. I can last another five, and so can you.

You sure about that? Champion Pub should be coming out this month. Champion Fuckin' Pub. Don't you want in on that? All of us having tons of fun playing an amazingly awesome table, and you sitting there like some kind of Debbie Downer waiting on a PS4 version?

joeblow

Heh, I think I will wait too. The tables I have are plenty until the next gen touches down. Then perhaps I can buy what I'm missing and play it "new".

jvm

Gamasutra.
Do we know if all the current tables will be available with PS4 at launch? That would seal the deal for me, probably, especially if they're available in bulk for a per-table discount.

You sure about that? Champion Pub should be coming out this month. Champion Fuckin' Pub. Don't you want in on that? All of us having tons of fun playing an amazingly awesome table, and you sitting there like some kind of Debbie Downer waiting on a PS4 version?

I've sat on Twilight Zone, Firepower, ST:TNG, Creature (a personal favorite) and more. I can keep waiting.

I can't get through my evenings anymore without Medieval Madness and Scared Stiff.

I've bought a buttload of tables I love though, I can last for now. Trying to get even remotely competent with STTNG and Creature atm.

thefro

Got the base tables on PS+ and Theatre of Magic is really a fantastic table.

I think I may vaguely remember playing it once somewhere, but I usually would just play pinball on the 1990 Simpsons pinball machine that the hotel we stayed at in Florida for several years had in its little arcade.

But anyway I have the urge to play this more than The Last of Us or Sleeping Dogs.

I think I may vaguely remember playing it once somewhere, but I usually would just play pinball on the 1990 Simpsons pinball machine that the hotel we stayed at in Florida for several years had in its little arcade.

But anyway I have the urge to play this more than The Last of Us or Sleeping Dogs.

'one of us' and all of that.

I still play this game regularly, even though I don't buy DLC anymore. I hope people get that in this thread. I'm not some crazy guy just hanging around here yelling at clouds.

Shaneus

It's damned awesome... because whilst it's definitely a score chasing thing that is the flavour of the month, it's wholly dependent on your level of skill, so there's absolutely no score ceiling other than what your skill level dictates.

The amount of time I've put into it on iOS is borderline ridiculous. I'd have to say it's my most played game this generation, or maybe second only to Lumines Live on 360 (played the hell out of that, too). And with PS4 and PC versions around the corner, it's not going to let up, I guarantee you. Because everyone always feels like a hit of pinball now and then :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Since I'm ditching the PS4 for an Xbox One now, I'll double dip on the PC version now. It'll give me an incentive to build a virtual pinball machine once I get the time, space and money.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My local FEC really needs to fix up their pin tables. Twilight Zone has a few issues regarding ball drains, Attack from Mars has a slight delay on the right flipper, and Revenge From Mars is unplayable because the flash lights don't work an I can't see shit.

Vyse24

From their Facebook:

Hello everyone! Here’s a long post to start your weekend with an update on the status of our platform releases.

Xbox 360: As most of you know, we have been unable to release new table packs for the Xbox 360 since our Microsoft publisher declared bankruptcy last year. We finally have some good news to report- the publisher (Fillpoint/Crave Entertainment) has now filed a reorganization plan with the court and is scheduled to emerge from bankruptcy this summer. When this occurs we will submit all of the unreleased table packs to Microsoft for approval and release. We plan to offer discounted Season Packs on the 360 to make it easy for our 360 customers to get caught up on tables. Thank you for your patience as we’ve worked to get this issue resolved- it’s been as frustrating for us as it’s been for you!

Wii-U: The Beta build of our Wii-U Pinball Arcade release will enter internal test next week. It is scheduled for final submission to Nintendo in late July, and for release to customers in September. All of the tables in Table Packs 1 through 16 will be available on the Wii-U at launch.

Ouya: The official June 25th launch of the Ouya console is fast approaching, and the Pinball Arcade will be ready! We will be a launch title for Ouya with all of the current table packs available.

PC/Steam: Since our Steam Greenlight several months ago, we’ve been hard at work creating a Steam version of the Pinball Arcade. We’re happy to announce that the first Beta build of the Steam platform was released to internal test this week! We will be conducting a closed public Beta of the Steam version in July- if you are one of our Kickstarter backers entitled to Beta access on the PC platform, watch your email for information on how to get access! We are targeting an August release for the Pinball Arcade on Steam with all of the current table packs available.

PlayStation 4: Our fans got an early look at the PlayStation4 version of the Pinball Arcade at the E3 show in Los Angeles last week. We were part of the Sony booth, and the game was amazingly well-received by pinball aficionados and novices alike. Our new PS4 lighting technology allows us to model individual lights for each of the 100+ lamps on the typical pinball table (complete with attenuation, blooms, and reflections). The result so far is a level of graphical realism never before seen in a video pinball game and it's going to get even better as we continue to improve the technology! Check out the video below for a sneak peek. In more good news, Sony has announced a Cross Discount feature for the PS4. This will allow us to offer customers who have previously purchased Pinball Arcade content on other Sony platforms a discount when they buy that content on PS4.

Thank you again for supporting us! Fans like you are what makes pinball great.

Shaneus

August for PC? No beta release for people who just picked a game for PC (as opposed to paying shitloads to access the base pack as well especially for the beta)? Fuuuucking hell. They concentrated way too much on PS4 and nowhere near enough on PC. Ugh.

And it STILL hasn't updated on iOS yet. Jesus christ.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
August seems fair for the PC version. I was really pessimistic and thinking it would come out in Octoberish.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Cross Discount is great news.

I originally started buying on PS3 in order to get the Vita versions to have portable tables. (Sadly, the Vita version got treated like crap.) So I don't really see the investment as a big waste.

Helps knowing buying PS4 versions will be discounted.

Shaneus

About to sign up now... god damn, straight into my veins. Reckon this warrants a new thread? I think so.

August seems fair for the PC version. I was really pessimistic and thinking it would come out in Octoberish.
If they've announced August, it probably will be Octoberish :(

PS. Perhaps this was missed, but the biggest news from that Kickstarter:
If we don't reach our goal no credit cards will be charged, but if we raise more then the goal we’ll be able to digitize other licensed tables as well, including the next table we'd really like to pursue- Bally's incredible classic The Addams Family!
Sounds like the only barrier now is just funding and that licensing itself is just a matter of money and not legal b/s. Yay!

Shaneus

Do what I do. I'm contributing because I want to see it get released, not necessarily because I want to get a copy of the game. It's easier to justify throwing more cash at it ;)

When they say "we'd like to pursue" in regards to Addams Family to me indicates that they haven't necessarily worked out the licensing issues there, which I think has been the big sticking point.

Yay, even though I was never going to back another after having dealt with their ridiculous punctuality with codes (and a lack of X360 support in over a year), I'm down once again.

I really hope that X1 gets a version announced soon, but I can totally dig Sony's cross-discount offer for previous purchases since I do own all of the tables for PS3. MS better step it up and offer the same, especially if I like the controller better vid-pin for whatever reason.

Shaneus

When they say "we'd like to pursue" in regards to Addams Family to me indicates that they haven't necessarily worked out the licensing issues there, which I think has been the big sticking point.
From how I read it, they're saying there are a lot of tables they'd like to pursue, one of them being Addams Family, and the extra money can go towards that. I doubt they'd mention it if they were still having licensing issues that money couldn't resolve.

vg260

Cross-discount is nice, but what happens to cross-buy on new tables once the PS4 is out?
If you buy on PS4, can you still get the Vita version? I have a Vita, and that was one of the main reasons I bought almost all of them on PS3/Vita. I'm gonna move to the PS4 and/or PC.

Also will the PC version have all the new features/lighting of the PS4?

How is the Vita version? I plan to buy a Vita soon (if for anything, for Spelunky, yay!) and would love to get some pinball on there too.

I like it.

Seconded. My feeling is that it's a bit easier than the PS3 version. Not sure why.

Awesome, that's great to hear. Pinball on the go would be fantastic! Do they share trophies? I'm hoping the season one bundle, or at least some table packs, go on sale soon -- enjoying the base 4 but ready for some more. Oh -- can you play it on the Vita vertically? (Though I imagine the flippers would be awkward).

Ah, found a video of the Vita being used vertically with touch used to do the flippers -- seems like just sticking with horizontal and the shoulders is easier.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm catching up on the PS3 version now, have the standard goals for Big Shot, Party Monsters, Twilight Zone, and Bride of PinBot. I still have a ways to go, but I have 7/26 standard goals now.

It also seems like we may get the next table pack on PSN next week, the PS3 version got patched for more trophies.

I am glad to hear of progress on Xbox version. Microsoft really need to do away with their outdated and last gen policy. May be by middle of next gen with Sony have completely obliterated their marketshare in the US and UK they will wake up from their fantasy world.

Cross-discount is nice, but what happens to cross-buy on new tables once the PS4 is out?
If you buy on PS4, can you still get the Vita version? I have a Vita, and that was one of the main reasons I bought almost all of them on PS3/Vita. I'm gonna move to the PS4 and/or PC.

Also will the PC version have all the new features/lighting of the PS4?

Cross buy discount? Argh! I need to know more about this.

Yeah, I really hope Steam does a big cross-buy discount. TPA is the only game I play on a mobile device and it'll probably still be my "primary" platform, but I'd still like to dabble with it on PC.

Shaneus

What happened with the legal case from last week or whenever? I thought that was going to be the last time we heard of it :/

Vyse24

Not sure. The websites where I view the case dockets didn't list anything for 2 weeks ago. That might be the reason why they're in court again.

Top Bottom