• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY ANNOUNCED NEW PSP!!! (more changes than you thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So I have it on good authority that the new PSP screen is better and has much, much less (if any) ghosting!

It's time to celebrate!

Marconelly said:
So I have it on good authority that the new PSP screen is better and has much, much less (if any) ghosting!

It's time to celebrate!

nice, very nice.

time to finish Liberty City Stories in september.

you guys really think the "cache" functionality will make that much of a difference?

....enough for us Custom FW folks, running off a memstick, to give a dam?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
His graphics whore word

:D

Bleeding is clearly much less pronounced on the new model.

Funny thing is no Sony guy I talked to was aware of it. They were like "O'rly?" when I pointed that out.

I did a side by side comparison with the new Syphon Filter game. Much much better looking on the new PSP. Yes, brightness levels were the same when I tested it. Showed it to other two guys and they both noticed the difference immediately. Like it was night and day.

I told that to Chris Deering (er.. I ment David Reeves). Hopefully he will check Japan and report back with an official press release.

Mmmkay

Don't know if they're hot linkable but the new PSP is listed on the FCC website now:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...='AK8PSP2001'

If not, just search for FCC ID: AK8PSP2001

Quick Reference Manual pt1 (pdf)
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=814751&native_or_pdf=pdf
Quick Reference Manual pt2 (pdf)
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=814752&native_or_pdf=pdf

Safety and Support pt1 (pdf)
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=814753&native_or_pdf=pdf
Safety and Support pt2 (pdf)
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=814754&native_or_pdf=pdf

Doesn't seem like there's much different operationally. Old headset interface/remote control is incompatible. Tests were conducted at the end of May.
batterypsp.png

Someone want to compare the mainboard to the old one?
pspinternals1.jpg

They also have an example of what the unit looks like with the old PSP battery in it:
pspinternals2.jpg

Cdammen

Marconelly said:

It's time to celebrate!
So it's finally confirmed? Much less ghosting?! YES!!! *gives monies to Sony*

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
:D

Bleeding is clearly much less pronounced on the new model.

Funny thing is no Sony guy I talked to was aware of it. They were like "O'rly?" when I pointed that out.

I did a side by side comparison with the new Syphon Filter game. Much much better looking on the new PSP. Yes, brightness levels were the same when I tested it. Showed it to other two guys and they both noticed the difference immediately. Like it was night and day.

I told that to Chris Deering. Hopefully he will check Japan and report back with an official press release.

Great, it will make a tons of games (the new Castlevania compilation, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, etc...) even more impressive thanks to the screen darkening much less if at all when you scroll around the level.

Time to sell my Japanese PSP and get the new one in September... (hopefully a unit without dead pixels :p)... it still has FW 3.50 and I do have a Japanese copy of Lumines which I could use to sweeten the deal (it would make me a bit sad as I do like Lumines :( and finding a copy of the game with the downgrading craze going on is not going to be as easy as I would want it to be).

I am not looking forward to the TV output feature, but instead I cannot wait for the charge-battery-through-USB feature :D.

I might also throw in Spider-man 2 UMD if people want...

... if you want to make offers... ahem... please do (only one dead pixel [white] on the bottom right of the screen and the [ ] button is not stuck) ;).

Lionheart

Great news about the screen. :D

I sold my PSP literally one day before the announcement, because a new PSP was expected, but I didn't really care for most of the new features until this news. :) I'm really glad I sold it now.

spwolf

what was previous battery duration according to feds? If they can do that with smaller battery, then 2200 one should be wow. Nice!

tanod

when is my burrito
With the USB charger, does that mean it still comes with the adapter accessory? I guess t doesn't matter since I have an old model PSP but that would be interesting to know for sure.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
awesome. was waiting to hear about the screen -- thanks marco and ttp. definitely buying the redesign. and installing custom firmware on my old psp RIGHT NOW

TV output with gaming = Must buy component cable and get a 480x272 progressive scan output in the middle of your TV.

UMD video and the rest will work through composite or component.

Don't you just hate these "surprises" they keep quiet...

spwolf

replicashooter said:
TV output with gaming = Must buy component cable and get a 480x272 progressive scan output in the middle of your TV.

UMD video and the rest will work through composite or component.

Don't you just hate these "surprises" they keep quiet...

what is the suprise there exactly?

Kuran

Banned
Marconelly said:

It's time to celebrate!

If thats true, why didn't Sony make a bulletpoint out of that during the presentation?

Will it have the 'hidden' brightness mode also unlocked, the way custom firmware does? I am used to that level of brightness. I'm also not really bothered with the ghosting of the current iteration..

One more thing.. I believe Sony should've really made that 'mute' button into an official 'take a screenshot' button. People love being able to do that.. so why not give it to them? Its harmless and works great on custom firmware.

Tobor

Dave1988 said:
What is this "ghosting"? First time I'm hearing about it.

Turn on your PSP. Play a 3D game. Look at the screen. That's ghosting.

Awesome news that they fixed the screen. I'm buying the redesign at launch.

Avalon

RumpledForeskin said:
I have never experienced ghosting on the PSP and I damn near play with the thing everyday.

You must not know what it is or don't really care. It's a big problem for a lot of people.

Tobor

RumpledForeskin said:
I have never experienced ghosting on the PSP and I damn near play with the thing everyday.

You either don't know what ghosting is or need to take the fanboy goggles off and look again.

This isn't up for debate. The old screen has unacceptable ghosting. I sold mine because of it and have held off buying another one until it was fixed, which it now apparently is.

bengraven

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm kind of excited to buy another PSP. I sold mine about six months after the original system came out because I just couldn't stand the dry period with no games. It reminded me then what the current state of the Wii is now. It was literally depressing that I spent 300 dollars on a portable Lumines/GTA machine, especially since I waited in line on launch day for it.

But after seeing this, the new battery life and TV cables really make me want one. Plus, there are enough games out there to get me excited. AND most of them are $20 or less! I should buy them NOW before Walmart pulls them from their 2 For $30 bin.

spwolf said:
i know i asked it before, but cant find the answer - how much is battery improved?
I would also like to know this. The posted specs for the new rev don't make it seem like the life is any different at all. Anyone have the federal specifications for the original PSP's battery life handy?

Tobor said:
Turn on your PSP. Play a 3D game. Look at the screen. That's ghosting.
It's just as apparent with 2D games if not moreso. Playing games using scrolling square tiles, it seems like rectangles of off-color trail the squares.
spwolf said:
i know i asked it before, but cant find the answer - how much is battery improved?
The battery is improved by -33%, but it doesn't seem the run time is much affected.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's just as apparent with 2D games if not moreso. Playing games using scrolling square tiles, it seems like rectangles of off-color trail the squares.

The battery is improved by -33%, but it doesn't seem the run time is much affected.
That certainly seems to point to a nicer screen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dave1988 said:
What is this "ghosting"? First time I'm hearing about it.

Play Ridge Racer PSP, look at the cars moving on the road...

Do you like the awesome motion blur ?

Well, there you go... an example of ghosting which was used in a game to improve the game's visuals :D.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'll wait to see if the loading times actually improve with this new PSP. If they are, then I'll get one and Sakura Taisens 1+2 (which were apparently horrid 'cause of constant loading times...)

Lain

I found playing ToE showed the ghosting even better when walking around on the world map.
Improved screen = must buy.

NomarTyme

RurouniZel said:
I'll wait to see if the loading times actually improve with this new PSP. If they are, then I'll get one and Sakura Taisens 1+2 (which were apparently horrid 'cause of constant loading times...)
It only for NEW games only I think.

Link316

Banned
Pallaris said:
Who on earth would want to play with composhite vision anyway?

the games are only 480x272, it makes no sense not to support it, hopefully they'll change that in some firmware update

spwolf

Link316 said:
the games are only 480x272, it makes no sense not to support it, hopefully they'll change that in some firmware update

but progressive... it obviously made a lot of sense for them, otherwise they wouldnt have done it :D

spwolf said:
but progressive... it obviously made a lot of sense for them, otherwise they wouldnt have done it :D

No, they did it because it was the cheapest option. This is why the PSP2TV chops the resolution in half and interlaces it to work on composite and they eneded up scrapping the composite/direct option.

But based on resolution and the majority of TVs that people will be using not having component (esp. in my case) composite would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

spwolf

replicashooter said:
No, they did it because it was the cheapest option. This is why the PSP2TV chops the resolution in half and interlaces it to work on composite and they eneded up scrapping the composite/direct option.

But based on resolution and the majority of TVs that people will be using not having component (esp. in my case) composite would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

wait, now majority of TV's dont even have component inputs? :lol

MoxManiac

spwolf said:
wait, now majority of TV's dont even have component inputs? :lol

I guarantee anything that most tvs out there in homes don't have component inputs.

Though it would seem more likely to me that someone who would buy a PSP would be more likely to have a TV with component jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom