• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 3rd-party publisher will become the leader in downloadable games?

pswii60

I was having a think about XBLA and PSN - and from next year WiiWare. We may start to see publishers leading on the downloadable platforms which do not mirror the leaders in the retail SKU market.

So, Which third party publisher do you think will become the leader in downloadable games this generation?

Here's some food for thought:

Capcom are in my opinion, destined to become the leader this generation. This is simply because unlike other publishers, they seem to have really thought about using their suitable IP to make compelling content which ideally fits the concept of downloadable games. Street Fighter HD / Puzzle Fighter HD are early examples of this, but with rumours of Megaman and Bionic Commando getting HD remakes, along with other games like Rocketmen, I think Capcom are going to make a real early dent in the market before the end of 2007.

If you'd have asked me two years ago, I would have said SEGA, purely and simply because they have some of the biggest IPs around which are perfectly suited to the "pick-up-and-play" nature of XBLA and PSN. In particular, Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Outrun, 18 Wheeler etc. But instead, they decided to wait 18 months before even bringing retro emulated Sonic and Golden Axe to XBLA and have shown no signs of doing anything more than these 'vintage game' re-releases, mirroring Wii's Virtual Console. Unless SEGA have secretly been working away on something for the last year, I can only assume they missed the train and Capcom are 10 stations further down the track.

While EA are the leader in the retail SKU market, they've commited to nothing other than picking up a couple of titles (Wing Commander Arena was likely something else before they renamed it, Boom Boom Rocket was likely already in development). And these two titles have sucked, hard, and haven't exactly set sales records. EA definitely didn't see the potential in downloadable games as they should. And Activision? Are they doing anything?

Then we've got other third parties, like Sierra Online who have made some real effort so far, both with the decent Assault Heroes and the pretty awful 3d Mini Golf Adventures. But with Switchball, Battlestar Gallactica and the Incredible Machine on the way, I expect Sierra to also make a decent sized dent in the market, although the IP (outside of BG) is pretty weak on a commercial scale. And Eidos, D3 Publisher and Codemasters also look to be getting in to the market with some titles for 2007.

EDIT: Not to forget Konami (XBLA - retro stuff only so far), Namco (again XBLA retro only), Midway (PSN and XBLA retro), Hudson (XBLA Bomberman), Empire (Double Dragon) and of course how could I forget PopCap who have produced and published probably the most profitable XBLA games so far (high sales of Zuma, Bejeweled, Heavy Weapon, Astro Pop, Feeding Frenzy etc).

Grayman

I expect eat sleep play to make waves. They count as third party now right? As far as putting stuff on all consoles capcom seems the best off so far.

Midway has a bunch of classic games on PSN but they seem to be of questionable quality.

edit2: my mind saw developer and not publisher, that eliminates esp for now i think.

pswii60

Grayman said:
I expect eat sleep play to make waves. They count as third party now right? As far as putting stuff on all consoles capcom seems the best off so far.

Midway has a bunch of classic games on PSN but they seem to be of questionable quality.

Nope, Eat Sleep Play don't count as they aren't a publisher.

edit: oh, you noticed :)

Rlan

Digital Eclipse and Foundation 9 win purely because they're outputting so much emulated content that surely they're just raking it in, regardless of quality.

Capcom seems to have the right idea right now with the HD remix games - both games not being purely emulated [Well SF2 kinda is], but have some effort put into it - like rebalancing or additional content. Hudson with Bomberman Live is also the way to go - if they just ported over a Super Bomberman, that'd be lame.

BTW, SEGA is doing "Happy Tree Friends" on XBLA, so they're not JUST doing emulated content.

ram

Wheres UBI SOFT? with prince of persia classic and that mech shooter (both XBLA) they are putting more effort into those games, than polishing their full price stuff. :lol

BTW.

afterall, i think the indie developers are winning, because they get a real chance to become famous and maybe a big pro developer.

jarrod

Banned
Rlan said:
Hudson with Bomberman Live is also the way to go - if they just ported over a Super Bomberman, that'd be lame.
I'd have rather gotten Hi-8/Saturn Bomberman honestly.

And c'mon people... Hudson and SEGA are banking so much on their VC stuff, it's almost insane. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if VC is now making up the majority of Hudson's profits.

old gaming >>> new gaming

Capcom is a likely one. Square-Enix needs to release online multiplayer Triple Triad and Blitzball on the PSN though. I'd play those for HOURS.

Mau ®

Most people are bringing their classic titles, not many original IP's.

I think Sony is doing the best original efforts in DLC.

EDIT: OH its 3rd party only... Hudson and Capcom probably

pswii60

inthezone said:
Most people are bringing their classic titles, not many original IP's.

I think Sony is doing the best original efforts in DLC.

I absolutely agree that Sony are doing the best, stuff like EchoChrome is fantastic.

BUT THEY ARE NOT THIRD PARTY

GAF is really starting to wind me up lately. No matter what thread I enter, it is full of people who don't read

Icarus

Capcom seem to be on the right track (Talisman FTW!). Sierra (VUG) is doing some interesting stuff too.

Busty

Banned
Good question for a topic pswii60. I think, providing they get their act together with a mix of new titles and some retro ports, someone like SEGA could really make waves in the D/L games market.

Owing to the wealth of titles and IPs they have it would make sense to perhaps develop a DL game (say a new PSO game for example) that would be distributed across all three 'services' and perhaps even the PC via something like GamesTap on the same day.

Being a D/L game it wouldn't need to be graphically stunning and could surely look just as good on either the Wii or the PS3/360 (providing they 'up scale' the res on the graphics. Seeing as SEGA are distributing that Happy Tree Friends game it would seem that they are at least going to try and make inroads into that business.

However, in saying that, I also have a feeling that we might see someone other the 'usual suspects' emerge in the online marketplace. Though I realise that someone like NCsoft will probably have their PSN and perhaps even their Blu Ray titles published by Sony, I think that we may see a Korean developer emerge with some stand out D/L title.

Seeing as how they are churing out MMO left right and centre, it seems logical that they might port them (they aren't exactly graphical masterpieces) to the various D/L services.

pswii60 said:
I absolutely agree that Sony are doing the best, stuff like EchoChrome is fantastic.

Agreed. It's all about striking the right balance and I think that Sony have done that. With larger titles like SOCOM:Confrontation and Wipeout HD nicely compliment smaller games like Echochrome and even games that are 'smaller' again like Elefantastic.

It seems that Sony are going with a three tier structure for their PSN titles in terms of not only price but their scope and ambition. Personally, I'm all for it.

pswii60 said:
GAF is really starting to wind me up lately. No matter what thread I enter, it is full of people who don't read

Agreed. It's as if recently some posters just can't bare the thought of not being in with their views almost immediately, regardless of whether they've read the topic or not.

besada

Banned
I predict it will be someone we've barely heard of. Maybe Gamecock. EA/SEGA and like-minded publishers are having too good a time riding the rehash gravy train to spend much real effort on pushing the medium, and I can't say Sony because they aren't first party, so I predict it will either be Jaffe and crew or Gamecock, or some other group as yet unknown.

I don't really care so long as they roll out some interesting stuff.

MechDX

Hydro Thunder with online play release on XBLA with full force feedback support...Midway wins. HANDS DOWN!:D

ex0du5

Banned
:)

But seriously....noone is even close to Valve at the moment. People seemed to hate Steam when it started, but man oh man, has it ever taken off lately. I don't see an end in sight, and we even have new, big-name titles hitting Steam now. Valve will be the biggest 3rd party online publisher for quite a while to come.

ex0du5

Banned
pswii60 said:
I don't think you 'get' this thread.

The title seemed pretty clear: "Which 3rd-party publisher will become the leader in downloadable games?"

Valve is a 3rd party publisher. Do you exclude them simply because they are not multi-platform?

And is the PC not considered a platform now?

Steam even has Geometry Wars (for only $3), so it can be comparable to even XBLA.

Busty

Banned
ex0du5 said:
The title seemed pretty clear: "Which 3rd-party publisher will become the leader in downloadable games?"

Valve is a 3rd party publisher. Do you exclude them simply because they are not multi-platform?

And is the PC not considered a platform now?

Steam even has Geometry Wars (for only $3), so it can be comparable to even XBLA.

ex0du5
"Exploiting loopholes
in thread topics so you
don't have to."
(Today, 04:42 PM)
Reply | Quote

svenuce

Actually, Valve in the Steam context is largely a distributor, not a publisher. It doesn't fund or market for the third parties. In that regard, it's the same as Microsoft in the Live context.

The only way it can be looked at as a publisher (As it stands today) is for Half-Life/CS/Portal/Team Fortress. In light of those titles, they are kicking ass and taking names.

That said, I believe the intent of this thread was focused more on the console, where there actually hasn't historically been any leadership to speak of.

And oh, yeah, on that note, Capcom looks to be ahead of the curve atm. Who knows who'll catch up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Lee N said:
I was gonna say that.. Hudson have really been pushing for the downloadables.

Yea, some upcoming stuff from Hudson include Omega Five and a slew of PlayFirst (Diner Dash, Oasis) games.

Rlan

One thing that has NOT happened - which I believe would make an absolute killing - is a lot of classic Amiga and PC software. There are a whole slew of games, Amiga in particular, that I never ever got to play or were better counterparts. Games that are difficult to get a hold of outside of pirating them and throwing them on DosBox.

In particular - the Holy Trinity of Epic, ID Software, and 3D Realms/Apogee could make an absolute killing if they released some of their classic games for the Xbox Live Arcade. They would also make a fantastic start to some sort of "Windows Live Arcade" if they want Vista to expand.

Think of it: Commander Keen, Bio Menace [This is actually free now, but I'd pay just to have it playing on my TV screen], Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry, Duke Nukem II, Monster Bash, Jazz Jackrabbit, Xargon, Jill of the Jungle, Wacky Wheels, Death Rally, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Epic Pinball, Tyrian... And then you've got all the other crazy PC software like "In Search Of Dr. Riptide" and "Mr. Nutz" for the Amiga.

These guys have been sitting on these games for 10 to 15 years and were absolute blasts to play. Why not re-release these games in an official, playable form? I mean a bunch of these licenses [eg; Keen, Duke, and Jazz, Mr. Nutz] have previously been farmed out for sub-par handheld releases, or have gotten some company to create crappy Mobile phone variations. Considering these original games were usually made with a maximum of 5 people [Bio Menace was made by 1 guy using the Keen engine], it surely can't be THAT much trouble to allow the original games to be emulated or ported over to a newer console OS?

They could lead, if only they tried :(

Top Bottom