• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One details: Power consumption, HW changes, price, orientation (4Players.de)

ekim

Source:http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/XboxOne/34518/2133929/Xbox_One|Microsoft_ueber_Hardwareaenderungen_den_Preis_und_den_Stromverbrauch.html

According to the article 4Players.de was able to directly talk to MS after the 53MHZ GPU bump.

The questions (questions with answers ala "wait for details" were removed)
Q: Are there still any of the other parts of the hardware, e.g. RAM, HDD, CPU clock speed etc., potentially subject to change or are the specs more or less set in stone with the tweak of the GPU ?

A: The changes Marc detailed regarding the clock speed of the GPU were software changes to the OS. Building a console like Xbox One entails years of planning, supply chain management, purchasing agreements for components, etc and is for the most part locked at the time you start to put development kits into the hands of developers.

Q: Can Microsoft rule out changes to the price point that was announced at E3? ($/€ 499)

A: We are very confident with the value we provide at $/€ 499 and the unparalleled, all in one games and entertainment experience that Xbox One offers.

Q: Are there any details Microsoft is willing to provide regarding the power consumption? What about the low-powered state?

A: When it’s ready to respond to “Xbox On” it uses about 14 watts, which is about five US cents (or about four Euro cents) per day. In its lowest power state, Xbox One uses only a ½-watt, which is less than about a half a U.S. cent or one-third of a Euro cent per day.

Q: Is the Xbox One required to stand horizontally or is a vertical position possible, too?

A: Designed as a premium entertainment system that is aesthetically at home in the living room, the console is intended to sit horizontally. Additionally, the airflow and venting system was optimized for this horizontal orientation.

Some more tidbits:
Detailfragen zur Hardware - z.B. Taktrate der CPU, Nutzung der CPU-Kerne und weitere Details zum Grafikchip - wollte Microsoft zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt noch nicht beantworten.
-->
Microsoft won't just yet answer questions about hardware details like CPU clock and CPU core usage.

MarkusRJR

I still don't understand they're so confident in the pricing. Releasing at a full hundred dollars above the competition instantly turns off lots of consumers who aren't aligned one way or another.

TheJCAbr

Banned
A: When it’s ready to respond to “Xbox On” it uses about 14 watts, which is about five US cents (or about four Euro cents) per day. In its lowest power state, Xbox One uses only a ½-watt, which is less than about a half a U.S. cent or one-third of a Euro cent per day.
What about power consumption while gaming?

Bundy

Banned
I still don't understand they're so confident in the pricing. Releasing at a full hundred dollars above the competition instantly turns off lots of consumers who aren't aligned one way or another.
They are "confident" because they don't want to sell each unit with a ~100$ loss.
The investors are already pissed off (regarding the Xbox devision)

StiLt

So nothing new really. Seriously though, gamescom cant come soon enough. The only place it seems we'll actually get some shiny new intel on anything next gen related.

It's just groundhog day on the news morsel front of late.

Acheteedo

S¡mon;75134983 said:
In Europe, you forget VAT + additional 'green taxes'. It's gonna cost you more than 1.20.

Pre-order cancelled.

(when you factor in tax plus exchange rate, should work out to about £1.20 or not far from it).

Durante

14 watts in "Xbox on" standby mode? That's much higher than I expected. I would have thought that they'd optimize that more.

You can up the GPU without hardware changes.
Do you really believe they have changed the hardware for that little 53MHz GPU "boost"?

no but with the wording "software changes to the OS" I thought they were referring to it as if it affects only the OS (or one of the three OS's), and wouldn't/couldn't affect games.

derFeef

That's €35 per year here in Germany, just for listening to "Xbox on". No thanks.

Teose things are magical, I tell ya - all of my entertainment system and PC is on one of those.

31cKMTLwByL.jpg

14 watts in "Xbox on" standby mode? That's much higher than I expected. I would have thought that they'd optimize that more.

My guess is it's the power brick again.

MarkusRJR

They are "confident" because they don't want to sell each unit with a ~100$ loss.
The investors are already pissed off (regarding the Xbox devision)
Those same investors are going to be more pissed off when PS4 sells better due to price advantage. I still think MS is going to eventually make a Kinect-less sku. It's the only reason I'm not pre-ordering as I have no need or desire for Kinect 2.0.

Also, 14 watts just in stand by mode? Fuuuck that's really high.

Bundy

Banned
Those same investors are going to be more pissed off when PS4 sells better due to price advantage. I still think MS is going to eventually make a Kinect-less sku. It's the only reason I'm not pre-ordering as I have no need or desire for Kinect 2.0.
Uhm, no.
XboxOne/MS doesn't need to be the Nr.1 seller / market leader in sales,
to make profit.
See Nintendo / Game Cube, etc.
It's not about sales numbers. It's about $$$

GobFather

I agree, I would only buy xbox1 kinect-less.

gruenel

Disabling the feature won't save you money though :)

It was my understanding that when the "Xbox on" feature is disabled, the console uses only 0.5W in standby.

That actually makes sense, because there are EU standby power regulations which would not allow a 14W standby electronics device to be sold in the EU.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Sounds like they have an active standby mode that will listen for your commands, maybe download updates etc that uses 14W as well as a traditional standby mode that uses 1/2W.

Hopefully you can just choose what one you want to use.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wait, does this read to anyone else as tacit confirmation that the Xbone can be out into a state where the Kinect isn't listening for 'Xbox on'?

Acheteedo

Hmm, does it need to be in the 14 watt state to do automatic updates or to obey instructions from xbox.com (e.g. if you buy a game on xbox.com at work)?

Suddenly it's no longer 1€=$1, eh?

Thanks for posting ekim.

Taxes and oher things to add.

The 1 US$ = 1 € aproximation works because:

499 € may equal 658 US$ today (Today's exchange rate is 1:1.32), but in the European countries this includes a Vat between 18 and 20%.

Let's take Germany as example, because it was a German article. Germany has a 19% Vat.

499 / 1.19 = 419 € base price without VAT.

With a current Exchange rate from Euro to Dollar: 1 € = 1.32 US$

419* 1.32 = 553 US$

Yes there is still a difference, but European consumer and work laws are very different to US, as well as twentyeight completly different laws and regulations. The differences in income in different EU countries has to be included in every comparision, as well as economic power found in the specific countries but it's not comparable to the US at all... (mean income in most EU countries is lower than in the US, but instead provides it's citizens with a large amount fo benefits like social security, pension plans, specified holiday and vacation procetions, unemployment procection etc.).

nico1982

Yes, it is quite high considering that a Kabini system idles at 5W and manages 15W under Prime95. The Xbox does have twice the cores, but still...

That's €35 per year here in Germany, just for listening to "Xbox on". No thanks.

Pretty much the same here in Holland.

€35,- for a single hardware unit is way too much for the average consumer. I am fine with my energy bill of around €170,- and I seriously do not want to spend over €200,-

Mindwipe

14w on standby???

Well, I was never going to leave it plugged in the mains when not in use anyway, but that goes triple now.

Black-Box

14w on standby???

Well, I was never going to leave it plugged in the mains when not in use anyway, but that goes triple now.

Why couldn't you finish reading the whole post?

Top Bottom