• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Screenshotter's Compendium Thread

One3rd

Hud Hide, Free Camera, Timestop, FOV

You'll need this EXE. Launch that, tick the version of the game you're running, then launch the game. You'll know it's working if you press escape while in a map and you see the developer menu option.

Dev Menu Loader

Controls:

F9 - Pauses the game
F10 - Toggle HUD
Pause key - toggles on/off FreeCam
NumLock - slow motion (very useful for free camera)
Numeric / - accelerates game time
Numpad * - brings up Developer Menu
ScrollLock key - toggles 1st/3rd person views (you're just a pair of arms in this game)
Y key - respawns you at map entry point
+ and - keys (number row) - modify FOV

Thanks for the notes on the Dev Menu Neoenigma, very useful. Not sure if this has been noted yet, so adding the below as I found it useful.

Removing black bars and black cinematic border

There is a hack available for this that includes adding some files but it seems like the developer has since added in the ability to remove the cinematic border (that I couldn't get rid of fast enough!) and also remove the black bars when in 16:9 mode.

You will need to make changes to the Video.scr file located in \Users\<user>\AppData\Local\techland\cojgunslinger\out\Settings\ so back it up before doing anything.

Add (or remove the comments from existing lines) the following lines in at the bottom of the Video.scr file.

Code:
DisableScreenBorder()
RenderViewportProportion(-1, -1)

Forcing windowed resolution higher than your screen resolution
In the same Video.scr file, remove the Fullscreen() entry from the file and set Resolution to what you want.
Code:
Resolution(3840,2160)

Getting the game to render at this resolution when my display doesn't support it is a bit tricky. As my max custom resolution is 3200x1800, I had to use both monitors to have an accumulated screen size higher than what I wanted to render...I needed to set my second display to portrait 1200x3200 and primary to 3200x1800. Do this momentarily (I apply the setting but don't save) and start up the game in the windowed resolution. After the screen changes time out, the displays go back to my normal resolution and then all that's needed is to re-size the window to your screen with the help of SRWE.

The entire Video.scr file I used with these changes is here.

I am annoyed by restrictive games. I find joy in undoing the hard work devs put in to lock this shit down.

Just bought Devil May Cry (so expensive... sheesh). We'll see what Cheat Engine can unravel... if anything.

One3rd

neoenigma, since you just bought the game this post might be useful. Hopefully you have some luck with Cheat Engine, would love to have more control over the camera in this game. There is some really interesting level design that begs to be properly screen shot.

Removing the in-game HUD
There are probably a number of ways to do this, I used the minimalist HUD mod by Steve Powell at DCM Mods. (also archived here)

I would suggest backing up the files that get modified with the batch file as a precaution. I found that the batch file failed to backup the files on my system before modifying them. (probably due to permission issues in Win7 and not the batch file itself). Backup the following files:
Code:
Steam\steamapps\common\DmC Devil May Cry\DevilGame\Config\DefaultUI.ini
Steam\steamapps\common\DmC Devil May Cry\DevilGame\Published\Content\DLCBloodyPalace\DevilUI.ini
Steam\steamapps\common\DmC Devil May Cry\DevilGame\Published\Content\DLCVergilsDownfall\DevilUI.ini

The batch file also looks like it will restore the HUD to it's original settings but I haven't done this...I like the no-HUD too much. =)

Removing intro movies
Found on the DMC Wiki.

1. Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\DmC Devil May Cry\DevilGame\Config and open the DefaultEngine.ini file.
2. Under the [FullScreenMovie] section, comment out the start up movies so they are the same as below.
Code:
;+StartupMovies=Capcom
;+StartupMovies=Ninjatheory
;+StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;+StartupMovies=AMDLogo
;+StartupMovies=Save_360
;+StartupMovies=black

Timestop and FOV.
Using antitrop's previous post on UE3 bindings, I found that the following binds worked in DmC.

1. Go to Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\DevilGame\Config and edit the DevilInput.ini file.
2. At the bottom of the [Engine.PlayerInput] section add the following lines (in code sections below).

Timestop - freezes everything but still allows the camera to be moved around. I bound this to the ThumbMouseButton so it was easily accessible but it could be bound to any key.
Code:
Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton",Command="PlayersOnly")
FOV changes - allows for some variety in positioning the camera but there are trade-offs in the fisheye effect.
Code:
Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="FOV 10")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="FOV 20")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="FOV 30")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFour",Command="FOV 40")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFive",Command="FOV 50")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadSix",Command="FOV 60")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadSeven",Command="FOV 70")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadEight",Command="FOV 75")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadNine",Command="FOV 80")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="FOV 85",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="FOV 95",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="FOV 100",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFour",Command="FOV 105",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFive",Command="FOV 110",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadSix",Command="FOV 115",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadSeven",Command="FOV 120",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadEight",Command="FOV 130",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadNine",Command="FOV 0",Alt=True)

Method to remove the player body from camera view
Unfortunately none of the bindings I tried worked but I was able to remove the player body to take some "clean" shots. The method used was the typical "wall hug". Use this method by rolling/dodging into an obstacle or wall and then press timestop while still in the roll. Now look around and frame your shot. The camera is a bit wonky though and had to be fought with as it seems to have a mind of its own.

Image Quality
1. I found that trying to use any windowed screen size greater than my max configured windows resolution didn't work. Others may have more luck. On the plus side, the game runs great at 3200x1800 with 2xSGSSAA on a 560Ti.
Code:
Go to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\DevilGame\
Open the file "QlocConfig" using Notepad. Change resolution here.
2. NVidia SGSSAA bit 0x000012C5 works very well. Minimal performance hit.
3. Ambient Occlusion compatability bit 0x00000020 works for the most part with some random AO artifacts. Major Performance hit. This works, but in the end I disabled AO.

Some shots utilizing the above methods.
9425893169_8f57469244_o.jpg
One where the AO screwed up but I liked the result!

I already have free camera, more or less. Just gotta fine-tune it.

During boss scenes, the camera rotation seems to get locked. Fixing that would probably be kinda difficult. The camera behaves rather wonky in general, really.

That would have been easier! How's the Cheat Engine coming along? Your getting some interesting viewpoints from the shots posted so far.

I think it's ok. Needs testing though. I've run into a few scenarios where I've had to modify the script. It seems like sometimes using PlayersOnly actually happens before CheatEngine stores your coordinates, and once the game is frozen, you can't store coordinates. So I might need to use another hotkey for storing, which would be a pain.

Not to completely hijack One3rd's contribution for DMC, but I figured I'd try and give a complete list of UE3 commands that work, as well as my Cheat Engine table for camera manipulation. I'll mix in some info from his post.

Removing intro movies
Found on the DMC Wiki.

1. Go to Steam\SteamApps\common\DmC Devil May Cry\DevilGame\Config and open the DefaultEngine.ini file.
2. Under the [FullScreenMovie] section, comment out the start up movies so they are the same as below.
Code:
;+StartupMovies=Capcom
;+StartupMovies=Ninjatheory
;+StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;+StartupMovies=AMDLogo
;+StartupMovies=Save_360
;+StartupMovies=black

Image Quality
1. I found that trying to use any windowed screen size greater than my max configured windows resolution didn't work. Others may have more luck. On the plus side, the game runs great at 3200x1800 with 2xSGSSAA on a 560Ti.
Code:
Go to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\DevilGame\
Open the file "QlocConfig" using Notepad. Change resolution here.
2. NVidia SGSSAA bit 0x000012C5 works very well. Minimal performance hit.
3. Ambient Occlusion compatability bit 0x00000020 works for the most part with some random AO artifacts. Major Performance hit. This works, but in the end I disabled AO.

UE3 commands available for key binding
Slomo - Slow motion. "1.0" is 100% game speed. "0.5" is 50% game speed. See below for example usage.
PlayersOnly - Pauses the game but allows you to retain control of the camera
Peace - Enemies are pacified by your sweet scent and will no longer attack you
War - Enemies will eat your brains
ToggleNTHUD - Toggles the HUD on\off
FOV ## - Sets the FOV. Set really low for close-up action shots (30-50). Set really high for tunnel vision (100+)

The following commands should be pretty obvious. I'm not going to explain them you cheating sad-sack.
UnlockAllMissions
GiveAllKeys
UnlockAllAttacks
UnlockAllUpgrades
SetInfiniteTriggerPoints

Example bindings (to show you how to set them up)
1. Go to Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\DevilGame\Config and edit the DevilInput.ini file.
2. At the bottom of the [Engine.PlayerInput] section add the following lines (in code sections below).

[Engine.PlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="Slomo 0.3", Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="Slomo 1.0", Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="Peace", Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="War", Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="FOV 60")
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="FOV 70")
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="FOV 80")
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="ToggleNTHUD")
Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="playersonly")
etc etc....

Just examples. Set them up how you want.

Controlling the camera whilst PlayersOnly is active
WHAT? YOU CAN DO THAT? Shit yeah, you can. Thanks to the heroic efforts of one such fella. Who is that fella, you ask? Well he's the totally magnificent... me. Yeah. And I'm not going to lie. It took many hours. We're almost talking double digits. Tons of blood, sweat, tea--

OK OK. I'll tell you how. Sheesh.

Here's the cheat engine table you need.

Instructions for usage
Open the table in cheat engine and attach it the game, but don't run any scripts until you actually have control of your character. Once you do, press HOME to enable all of the scripts. You'll probably see all of the scripts expand if you're keeping an eye on the table. Press it 3 times if you want, just to be sure it activates.

My hotkey setup is probably not ideal, but fuck if I don't use every damn key on the keyboard and never feel like I have enough space.

I set my playersonly is set to F12.
ALT+F12 will RESTORE your coordinates and disable PlayersOnly (assuming you bind it to F12).

Short explanation: the free camera actually moves Dante, but his player model stays put while the game is frozen. When you turn off PlayersOnly, he will teleport to wherever you've moved the camera. Using ALT+F12 will make it so that Dante and the camera move back to where you were after you exit PlayersOnly.

While PlayersOnly is active, The Numpad keys are used to control the camera. It's a wonky method that changes the camera's absolute coordinates.

Numpad 3 & 9 for Z coordinate (up and down)
Numpad 4 & 6 for X coordinate
Numpad 2 & 8 for Y coordinate

Hold CTRL to move farther.

If you use something else for PlayersOnly, you can change the hotkeys assigned loading your coordinates. Right click on "Load" in the table and edit the hotkeys. Should be easy to figure out.

Example screenshots from myself and NBNT

9457262696_8f2a8572f6_h.jpg

9454477337_b0efc9a5cf_h.jpg

9447694335_f6a7f53af7_h.jpg

NBNT has been using the table already to churn out some nice screens. Should showcase what you can do even if you're not a wiz with Cheat Engine:

9458996084_7e2d048f64_h.jpg

9478180237_776b600aee_h.jpg

Stein3x

Very detailed guide One3rd & Jim ,thanks for the info , it will come in handy sometime in the future :) . I recall DMC being a bit hard to capture especially the Limbo stages

One3rd

Not to completely hijack One3rd's contribution for DMC

Not a problem at all, I welcome the contribution. Great work on the camera fix, that will be invaluable for getting some of those interesting shots I saw but wasn't able to reach. I will definitely be trying this out soon.

Fucking Duncan is tearing it up.

There are still a lot of wonky misshaps with the camera in this game. I really wish I could disable it's tracking in and out. Especially when paused. And I want to unlock the camera during boss fights. And cut scenes (like mass effect). All that's beyond my skillset though.

One3rd

I searched high and low for a way to force DoF in that game (and many others). I don't think there's a command to force it. You can only enable\disable it.

It's weird because in 2 other UDK games I've played lately (Dream & Betrayer), DoF is basically on all the time.
I played a bit with the following command found under the [Engine.WorldInfo] section of the UDKGame.ini file and was able to get a close DoF effect to appear in the main menu where the grass is blured. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in either an online or bot match.

DefaultPostProcessSettings=(Bloom_Scale=0.2,DOF_BlurKernelSize=12.0,DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount=0.0,DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount=0.0,DOF_FocusInnerRadius=2000.0,DOF_FocusDistance=0.0,)

Changing the second DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount value to 1.0 seemed to introduce the effect. I played a bit with the other settings but wasn't able to see any difference. No idea how this value works though and it looks like it may get overridden when starting a game.

DefaultPostProcessSettings=(Bloom_Scale=0.2,DOF_BlurKernelSize=12.0,DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount=0.0,DOF_MaxNearBlurAmount=1.0,DOF_FocusInnerRadius=2000.0,DOF_FocusDistance=0.0,)

One3rd

UE3 Dev Commands
Pretty much everything we could want for screenshooting is available and just needs to be enabled. Note: make sure to backup any ini files that you are going to be modifying just in case you want to go back or have any issue.

Go to "<Install Folder>\Dark Void\nativePC\SkyGame\Config\" and remove the read only flag from "DefaultInput.ini" and edit the file. This has all of the available commands under the [SkyGame.SkyPlayerInput] section. find the ones with ".DebugBindings=" prefix and for the ones you want to enable remove "Debug" so they are now ".Bindings=". When the game is next started, any new bindings in this file will be merged into the "<Your Profile>\My Games\Airtight\Dark Void\SkyGame\Config\SkyInput.ini" file which is the working Input.ini file. The commands that I have found to work are:
.Bindings=(Name="P",Command="PlayersOnly")
.Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="tiledshot 4")
.Bindings=(Name="Delete",Command="Camera Default")
.Bindings=(Name="End",Command="Camera FirstPerson")
.Bindings=(Name="PageDown",Command="Camera ThirdPerson")
.Bindings=(Name="PageUp",Command="Camera Fixed")
.Bindings=(Name="Home",Command="Camera FixedTracking")
.Bindings=(Name="Insert",Command="Camera FreeCam")
.Bindings=(Name="U",Command="allammo")
.Bindings=(Name="L",Command="pause")
.Bindings=(Name="N",Command="Slomo 1.0")
.Bindings=(Name="M",Command="Slomo 0.6")
.Bindings=(Name="Comma",Command="Slomo 0.3")
.Bindings=(Name="Period",Command="Slomo 0.1")
.Bindings=(Name="V",Command="VTC");
.Bindings=(Name="G",Command="god")
.Bindings=(Name="I",Command="ToggleInvisible")
.Bindings=(Name="B",Command="ToggleHud")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="FOV 10")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="FOV 20")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="FOV 30")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadFour",Command="FOV 40")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadFive",Command="FOV 50")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadSix",Command="FOV 60")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadSeven",Command="FOV 70")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadEight",Command="FOV 75")
.Bindings=(Name="NumPadNine",Command="FOV 80")

Tiledshots (Tiledshot 4)
You will need to add an entry for tiledshots, I bound mine to the F5 key. One neat thing about how this is done in this game is that you actually see the tiles being rendered as it builds the screenshot. It still takes a bit of time but you know that the command has worked as you can see the shot being created.

Free Camera and Camera Default
These two commands allow you to move the camera independently of your avatar. When on the ground the freecamera works as you would expect except that your avatar is not frozen, your just now controlling the camera. When in the air though, you control the camera and your avatar at the same time. The camera is anchored to the avatar (not sure if this anchor distance can be modified) and controlled with the WASD keys while you still need to fly with the mouse and try not to run into walls/objects. Makes it interesting getting aerial shots! Use Pause...alot.

Time Stop (Playersonly and Pause)
Playersonly freezes everything in the environment but for the player and some PhysX partical effects. You can move around the environment at will and/or use the free camera. Pause stops everything incuding the player, you can use this to stop the action then set FOV, slomo, toggle hud, etc.

PhysX performance and game crashing. (NVidia GPU)
I had a lot of issues with the game crashing on start up and after cut scenes as well as abysmal performance when PhysX was actually being used. Turns out that an old PhysX engine was installed with the game. Uninstall this by doing the following:
1. In Add/Remove programs uninstall "NVIDIA game system software 2.8.1".
2. Unistall "NVIDIA PhysX".
3. Re-run your graphics driver installation file and install PhysX again.
4. Win!

Well, actually, it wasn't all win. I still had problems with the game randomly crashing after a level loaded. This was resolved by bumping the in-game PhysX setting from "High" to "Medium". I can live with medium.

Higher Resolution Rendering
You have the ability to run the game in windowed mode and set the resolution to what you want. Find the "<documents>\My Games\Airtight\Dark Void\SkyGame\Config\SkyEngine.ini" file and under [SystemSettings] are the values to change. I was able to render the game at 5000x2812 and used SRWE to fit the window, but found that this was actually resizing it back to my native desktop size. Maybe others that are able to setup higher resolutions on their monitors will have more luck.

Here are some samples of what can be done with the above tweaks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Before I posted it I wanted to be clear on peoples thoughts.

How does everyone feel about Video advice in this thread?

I just found a way to get much better quality video out of Youtube using the same source material with the end filesizes being absolutely identical in size and I'd like to make a little write-up about it.

Before I posted it I wanted to be clear on peoples thoughts.

How does everyone feel about Video advice in this thread?

I just found a way to get much better quality video out of Youtube using the same source material with the end filesizes being absolutely identical in size and I'd like to make a little write-up about it.

I'd say go for it!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Youtubes compression is usually pretty rotten. Gameplay footage is always a blurry, splotchy mess. Using this method, you can use the same source footage and get the end result to look significantly better while the file sizes stay identical.

What you need to do is simply make your source footage 2x its normal size using the "Nearest neighbor" resizing method. Here is an example of the difference and below that will be instructions on doing this on your own.

Method used for creating videos

The video was originally shot at 720p - 30fps.

Both videos were exported from Adobe Premiere using the H264 codec, the High profile with the level set to 5.1 and a bitrate of 50mbps. Both videos are 359mb.

The only difference between the two videos is that for the 1440p video, prior to importing into Adobe Premiere it was opened in VirtualDub and resized to 2x using "Nearest Neighbor" resizing. As a result, basically every pixel that was 1x1 is now 2x2.

Quality comparison

Here are the videos in question for you to compare.

720p native resolution video

1440p 2x resized video

Watch both videos in the highest available quality to compare.

Below are some frame grabs of viewing the videos on Youtube in fullscreen compared to the source 720p footage.

Source Footage said:

Youtube 720p said:

Youtube 1440p said:

Go here and mouse over the image to see the difference in quality between the 1440p and 720p upload.

Instructions

These instructions will cover how to make the video 2x size with VirtualDub. Afterwards you may use any video editing application that you please but I will give settings for exporting with Adobe Premiere as that is what I'm familiar with.

Resizing with VirtualDub

1. Open your source footage with VirtualDub
  2. Select Video > Filters from the top toolbar (alternatively, press Ctrl+F)
  3. Select Add on the right hand side of the window
  4. Scroll down to "Resize" then press OK
  5. Under Size Options > New set the relative size to "200%" and Aspect Ratio "Same as source"
  6. Under the "Filter Mode" drop down box, scroll to the top and select "Nearest Neighbor" then press OK until you're back to the main window
  7. Select File > Save as AVI and save your file as you please.
You should now have a video that is 2x the size of your source footage with quality being identical other than each 1x1 pixel now being 2x2.

Adobe Premiere export settings

• Output Name: Be sure to click this to set your video name and location
  • Format: H.264
  • Preset: Custom
  • Width & Height: *set to video resolution*
  • Frame rate: *Set to video frame rate*
  • Aspect: Square Pixels
  • Profile: High
  • Level: 5.1
  • Render at Maximum Depth: Checked
  • Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 2 pass
  • Target Bitrate: 50Mbps
  • Maximum Bitrate: 50Mbps
  • Keyframe Distance: 60

As for why I use that bitrate, it is Youtubes recommended bitrate.

youtube_bitrate_by_alo81-d6edpta.png

If you've got any questions send them my way and I'll try and answer em.

Youtubes...

Interesting stuff man! And yeah, all video game capture and I guess.. video game art discussion is promoted :)

It seems strange that this is a necessary workaround considering i have seen many youtube videos that are actually compressed well enough, but they are usually more professional 'sponsored' uploads. The 1440 one definitely looks much better though.

The only things I'd add is that you might want to lower the key frame interval by alot. 60 seems very strange to me actually. Youtube says 'half the refresh rate', so I suppose 30 if you are uploading 60. I'm not sure how important that is considering the videos were smooth though, I know very little about GOP and keyframe interval, and just did a search to learn a bit more. One thing said 'under 5'.
And, the bitrate you're outputting is cranked way up. It suggest 50,000 kbps, not kBps, so you divide by 8. Its actually suggesting 6.25 Mbps as an output. That said, more is always better, as you have a higher quality master, but I am sure 50 Mbps is overkill. Try 12 or 20 and see if there's a quality difference. (and if you don't mind the upload time with 50, meh stick with it haha).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Interesting stuff man! And yeah, all video game capture and I guess.. video game art discussion is promoted :)

It seems strange that this is a necessary workaround considering i have seen many youtube videos that are actually compressed well enough, but they are usually more professional 'sponsored' uploads. The 1440 one definitely looks much better though.

The only things I'd add is that you might want to lower the key frame interval by alot. 60 seems very strange to me actually. Youtube says 'half the refresh rate', so I suppose 30 if you are uploading 60. I'm not sure how important that is considering the videos were smooth though, I know very little about GOP and keyframe interval, and just did a search to learn a bit more. One thing said 'under 5'.
And, the bitrate you're outputting is cranked way up. It suggest 50,000 kbps, not kBps, so you divide by 8. Its actually suggesting 6.25 Mbps as an output. That said, more is always better, as you have a higher quality master, but I am sure 50 Mbps is overkill. Try 12 or 20 and see if there's a quality difference. (and if you don't mind the upload time with 50, meh stick with it haha).

Ohhhh man you're totally right about that mbps/kbps thing! That's my bad, oops.

As for the keyframe thing, if I'm correct on this, with it being set to 60 then every 60 frames it'll use that new frame as the base, and then for every other frame it'll just be an alpha of the difference per pixel. I actually set it to 60 for my 60fps videos but since Youtube maxes out at 30fps I should have set it down to 30fps.

I mean, I guess I could lower the keyframe but it's not really a huge difference.

I'm gonna test lowering the bitrate and see what I end up with.

I gave it a test and using the max recommended bitrate did output a lower quality end result on youtube than using the 50000Mbps, but I also think 50,000Mbps is probably also a bit excessive.

I guess if you're uploading you should find a middle ground, but I don't know exactly what the max middle ground is.

No HUD, Free Camera, Timestop, etc etc

TocaEdit's cam mod.

Download that and place the version.dll in your installation directory (easiest method).

The HUD toggle removes the menu when you pause the game, so you can control the camera while the game is paused!

Here's how I use it:
Press escape to pause game.
Press Numpad * to enable mod
Press Numoad 9 to enable free look
Press Numpad 0 to enable mouse control
Press Numpad 7 to disable HUD

When you're done screenshotting a scene, Press Numpad 9 to disable the free cam and return to the normal game cam. You won't need to press Numpad * or Numpad 0 again.

Changing time of day

My very own Cheat Engine table with time of day script

This script disables the game's gradual time of day cycle and allows you to control it manually.

Instructions:
1. Start game and wait until you have control of your car.
2. Point table to game executable
3. Press F4 to enable script
4. (-) and (+) keys to change time of day (the ones next to backspace). Hold ctrl to advance time further.

Shift + F4 to disable script and restore the game's natural time of day cycle.

Example screens (it can be pretty, but it's no Project Cars)

9391472408_b198ee30fb_h.jpg

9380552915_ca26247cbf_h.jpg

A Few Tricks:

Pseudo-DoF or Motion Blur
The game does not, unfortunately, allow you to access its pretty nice DoF effect. To help make the cars stand out, you can use the motion blur to create a similar quality in the background. This will also allow you to greatly emphasize the motion blur if you like.

Simply flick the camera stick (using a controller, I assume the camera is the mouse otherwise) right before pausing. Depending on how far and quickly you move the stick, as well as when you press pause, you will get different sorts of motion blur, big or small. I find smaller blur to be nice, as it does a good job of emulating DoF, and poses less likelihood of making the road directly beneath the tires blurry (which makes things strange lookin). Here's an example:

Note two things:
A. The other cars are not blurred out. In most instances this looks okay, but for say, traffic, it looks strange. Depends on the angle.
B. The FOV is zoomed in, and if you were to see the same shot zoomed further out, the motion blur on the back wall would be less exaggerated. This both makes sense, and is very nice, since it is accurate for DoF as well as motion blur.

Very Shallow DoF

There is a way to get the actual DoF shader though, but the drawback is that it is incredibly shallow, with a razor edge and no transition. The focal point is about a foot away. To get it, freecam way off into the distance, or under the map, and things will get blurry. Then reset the camera. When you return things will still be blurry.
Example:

Exposure

The game has adaptive (HDR?), thus making things dark when viewing bright areas, and brighter for dark areas. The transition is quite slow though, but does occur during the pause screen, so you can use this to 'trick' the exposure, but you have to say, stare at something bright, then reframe very quickly. Headlights are useful for this, as well as the shadows under cars.

Thorgal

from steam : http://steamcommunity.com/app/238320/discussions/0/846963710902292389/

Go to documents/My games/outlast/Olegame/config.

----------------------------------------- How to Change FOV -----------------------------------------

Go to "OLGame.ini", open it, look for "DefaultFOV=" and "RunningFOV=", defaultfov is by default at 90 but is not the 90 that all we now, it is like 65, so to get like 90 you have to write:

DefaultFOV=110.0
RunningFOV=120.0

This is like FOV 90 in other games (like Battlefield, etc)
.....................................................................................................

IMPORTANT: When you look through your camera you have the old defalut FOV, so to change the default Camera FOV, change this parameters:

---- (CHANGE CAMCORDER/ CAMERA FOV) ----

CamcorderNVMaxFOV=83.0
CamcorderMaxFOV=83.0

TO this:

CamcorderNVMaxFOV=110.0
CamcorderMaxFOV=110.0

(Note: 110.0 is my favourite but you can go higher or lower if you want (of course)

--------------------------- How to Change FPS limit (Uncap FPS) -----------------------------

So, to uncap fps open "OLEngine.ini" and look for:
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

So change it to:

bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=0

(0 means UNLIMITED! LOL)

------------------------------------ Better Textures Resolution --------------------------------

In "OLEngine.ini" change this:

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=1024
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=256

To this:

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=2048
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=1024

----------------------------------------- Remove Motion Blur -----------------------------------------

Open "OLSystemSettings.ini", change this:

MotionBlur=True
MotionBlurPause=True
MotionBlurSkinning=1

to this:

MotionBlur=False
MotionBlurPause=False
MotionBlurSkinning=0

-------------------- Antialiasing (MSAA) [Working fine on my AMD GPU] ----------------------

In "OLSystemSettings.ini", change this:

MaxMultiSamples=1
bAllowD3D9MSAA=False

to this:

MaxMultiSamples=2
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True

(In "MaxMultiSamples=" you can use 2, 4, or 8 I think)

----------- [nVidia Users Only] Antialiasing (SGSSAA) (CalinTM) -------------

Origineel geplaatst door CalinTM:

To use SGSSAA, you need a nvidia GPU and follow these steps from here:

This does require a powerful system!

- Download Nvidia Inspector
- Open up the program
- Open up the Profile settings ( Tool button on the right side of driver version )
- Open the Outlast profile ( if you havn't created it yet, look in the previous section )
- Paste 0x000010C1 in the "Antialiasing Combatibility" section
- Set "Antialiasing - Mode" to: Override any application setting
- Set "Antialiasing - Setting" to: 2x [2x Multisampling]
- Set "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" to: 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling
- Set "Lod Bias" to: -0.500 for 2x
- -1.000 for 4x
- -1.500 for 8x

Note: you can set it to 4x or even 8x if your system is powerful enough, always be sure that the values in multisampling and supersampling match up.

Should look like this:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wXxQY5OF4Ic/UieZZ_OSnHI/AAAAAAAAAc4/305PasjIkFc/s919/AA.png

"Taken from my thread...

Also if you want to enable Physx on the GPU instead of CPU, modify this to False
bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False (found in OLEngine.ini)"

----------------------------------------- Change Resolution -----------------------------------------
In the same file, look for:
ResX=
ResY=

Change it to whatever you want (800x600, 1920x1080, etc)

For Example:

ResX=1920
ResY=1080

----------------------------------------- Change Battery Life -----------------------------------------

Go to "OlGame.ini" and change this: BatteryDuration=150.0
to the desired value. I think it is measured in seconds, so 150 seconds.

For Example: BatteryDuration=300.0
for 300 seconds of battery life (I THINK)

----------------------------------------- Modify Grain Filter -----------------------------------------

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Outlast\Engine\Config

Then open "ConsoleVariables.ini" and underneath "[Startups]" write: "ImageGrain = 0.0" or the desired value.

So it looks like:

[Startup]
ImageGrain = 0.0

YOU MAY HAVE TO SET -READ ONLY IN MOST OF FILES
ALSO MAKE SURE YOU MAKE BACKUPS OF ALL YOUR .INI FILES.

Part 2 UE3 commands

Credit goes to Midhras.

Quoting from here, I use:

Code:
Bindings=(Name="Multiply",Command="Tiledshot 5")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="Camera Freecam")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="Camera Default")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="Show FOG")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFour",Command="Show POSTPROCESS")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFive",Command="Show LEVELCOLORATION")
Bindings=(Name="PageUp",Command="SET MATERIALEFFECT bShowInGame FALSE")
Bindings=(Name="PageDown",Command="SET MATERIALEFFECT bShowInGame TRUE")

You can also edit OLGame.ini (make it readonly afterwards). For example:
Code:
DefaultFOV=120.0
RunningFOV=100.0
CamcorderMinFOV=10.0
CamcorderNVMaxFOV=130.0
CamcorderMaxFOV=130.0

And if you need some time to set up screenshots you may want to edit:
Code:
MaxNumBatteries=10
BatteryDuration=150.0

I've messed with shadows a bit, but didn't see any clear improvement. The opposite in fact.

It's a pity, but the UE3 debug commands seem pretty much locked down, or the guys at Red Barrels are using another system to control FOV and the camera.

Edit : fixed the link .

Betrayer leaves most UE3 commands intact. So I'll throw in a nice suite of commands and add in a little explanation for some.

No-HUD, no weapon, free camera\fly, timestop, and custom FOV

In your "/Documents/My Games/Betrayer/UDKGame/Config/" folder, you'll find "UDKInput.ini"

You can add the following under [Engine.PlayerInput] - these are just example bindings. You can use whatever hotkeys you want.

Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="ghost",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="fly",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="walk")
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="Slomo 0.3", Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="Slomo 1.0", Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="notarget", Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="god", Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="ShowHUD")
Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="ToggleHUD")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="togglescreenshotmode")
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="playersonly")
Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="tiledshot 4")

Let's discuss what some of those do, as well as how I set up some bindings.
Ghost - Lets you go through walls and other obstructions. Typically you want to use this with Fly
Fly - Lets you fly in the air. No gravity.
Walk - Disables the above commands and lets you resume normal walking about on the ground.

For these examples, I put Ghost and Fly on the same hotkey with the ALT modifier for FLY. That means:
F1 = ghost
ALT + F1 = Fly

Slomo 0.3 - This will make the game run at 30% speed. Useful for getting the exact moment right to stop time
Slomo 1.0 - Resumes normal game speed
Playersonly - Pauses the game but lets you move around.
ToggleHUD & ShowHUD - Both commands toggle the HUD. Nice for Hudless gameplay
togglescreenshotmode - Removes the HUD and your weapon - perfect for screenshots, as it says
tiledshot 4 - Takes a screenshot at 4x your current resolution.

If your gameplay resolution is 1600x900, "tiledshot 10" will produce a 16000x9000 resolution screenshot. The higher you set it, the higher the screenshot resolution will be. It also increases the filesize and the time it take to create the screenshot though... so expect a long pause after pressing the hotkey.

Below is a pretty decent setup for custom field of view commands:

Bindings=(Name="NumPadOne",Command="FOV 20",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="FOV 30",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="FOV 40",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFour",Command="FOV 50",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadFive",Command="FOV 60",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadSix",Command="FOV 70",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadSeven",Command="FOV 80",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadEight",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadNine",Command="FOV 100",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

You can get more precise bindings (if need be) by using the same hotkeys with the alt\shift\control modifiers.

Just some examples of Betrayer via Midhras:

And here are 2 from DeadEndThrills for good measure

Both of them did more portrait screenshots than anything else, but I'm partial to the normal\wide ratios :)

Achieving Free Camera in Brothers
* You need to use the Debug Camera
* You need to remove the vignette and debug cam frustums drawn on the screen
* To get clean shots, you need to take screenshots with TiledShot

When you use the debug camera, you get additional elements drawn on screen that get in the way of screenshots (game info in top left, camera frustums, and a white line that does who knows what in the middle of the screen). Using Tiledshot with an overlap parameter will remove some of those elements. Additionally, you need to remove the game's vignette for tiledshot to give you normal screenshots.

Add bindings for normal gameplay and for the debug camera, as shown below:

File for bindings: ...\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\P13\Config\P13Input.ini

Code:
[Engine.PlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="FOV 10")
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="FOV 20")
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="FOV 35")
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="FOV 50")
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="FOV 60")
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="FOV 70")
Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="FOV 80")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="FOV 90")
Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="FOV 100")
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="ToggleDebugCamera",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="TiledShot 6 500")
Bindings=(Name="PageUp",Command="SET MATERIALEFFECT bShowInGame FALSE | show camfrustums")
Bindings=(Name="PageDown",Command="PlayersOnly")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="fly",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="ghost",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="walk",Control=False,Shift=True,Alt=True)

Code:
[Engine.DebugCameraInput]
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="FOV 10")
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="FOV 20")
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="FOV 35")
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="FOV 50")
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="FOV 60")
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="FOV 70")
Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="FOV 80")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="FOV 90")
Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="FOV 100")
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="ToggleDebugCamera",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="TiledShot 6 500")
Bindings=(Name="PageUp",Command="SET MATERIALEFFECT bShowInGame FALSE | show camfrustums")
Bindings=(Name="PageDown",Command="PlayersOnly")
Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="fly",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="ghost",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="NumPadZero",Command="walk",Control=False,Shift=True,Alt=True)

* The commands bound to PageUp are required to remove the vignette and cam frustums from the screen.

Example screenshots:

One3rd

Higher Rendering Resolution
Modify the system.txt file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 3\ folder to change the resolution to a higher windowed resolution. I modified the following to enable 3840x2160. The nice thing about this is that it actually down samples it to your current desktop resolution so SRWE was not required to fit the window. I used SweetFX to take screenshots as it grabbed the whole 4k image.

Code:
Window.Border = false
Window.FOVScale = 1.05999899
Window.Fullscreen = false
Window.Height = 2160
Window.Width = 3840

Camera, Time Slow, Zero G.
Use LinGon's trainer for Deadspace 3 (DS3-21+Tr-LNG_v1.1), it's been updated to work with v1.1 of Deadspace 3.

Make sure that you start up Deadspace 3 first before starting the trainer. When the trainer starts you will hear a small beep letting you know that it's loaded. You will then need to press "Home" to enable the trainer and then the features are available. Have a look at the Info button to see what the key bindings are for each, the ones I used were:

F3 - Infinite Air
F6 - Slow motion enemies
F10 - camera OTP. This pulls the camera back to a fixed distance (much better than default) without having to modify the FOV. Unfortunately we can't set this distance but it does open things up a bit. After pressing F10 you will need to zoom in with your weapon to enable the new camera view.
Page Dn - Little Isaac. This shrinks Isaac down to a mini size. Allows for easier hiding of the player body by wall/object hugging.
number 7 - Enables Zero-G

Some methods to position the camera.
1. Wall hug + crouch + little Isaac
2. Zero G + little Isaac - You can use zero G in lots of different places (mostly indoors) where it isn't normally available. This can be used to get to places you wouldn't normally be able to get to or to position the camera into places or orientation that you can't do on the ground. In some places you may even be able to land on the ceiling or walls of a room.

Using little Isaac you can back up to walls or objects and "push" against them to temporarily remove Isaac from the scene. He will float back into view though so position and shoot quickly. Also remember that you can use the "Z" key to re-orient Isacc to the floor when in Zero G.

Some images taken using the methods above
camera OTP
9676458801_771e2510fe_o.jpg

camera OTP, small Isaac, time slow, zero G
9715381794_15df8b4330_o.jpg

camera OTP, small Isaac, time slow
9694128328_851ee21e1d_o.jpg

I really need to put out my Cheat Engine table for Dead Space 3. That trainer is awful. The table includes a lot more control over the camera. Sadly the 0-gravity anywhere script seems to only work for... not so legit versions. But I really hate Lingons trainers.

In light of Stein3x's latest discovery with SoftTH + D3D looking glass, I want to compile a list of games that can be played at ANY resolution, along with the method used to achieve it. For example, the list could look like this:

Alan Wake - SRWE + multi-monitor \ SoftTH + D3D Looking Glass
Borderlands 2 - SoftTH + D3D Looking Glass
Dark Souls - DSFix
Dead Space 1\2\3 - SRWE
Dishonored - SoftTH + D3D Looking Glass

In the same post, I could provide step by step instructions for each method. The SRWE multi-monitor setup I used for Alan Wake is a pain and I hope SoftTH makes it so we don't need it anymore.

One3rd

I really need to put out my Cheat Engine table for Dead Space 3. That trainer is awful. The table includes a lot more control over the camera. Sadly the 0-gravity anywhere script seems to only work for... not so legit versions. But I really hate Lingons trainers.

In light of Stein3x's latest discovery with SoftTH + D3D looking glass, I want to compile a list of games that can be played at ANY resolution, along with the method used to achieve it. For example, the list could look like this:

Alan Wake - SRWE + multi-monitor \ SoftTH + D3D Looking Glass
Borderlands 2 - SoftTH + D3D Looking Glass
Dark Souls - DSFix
Dead Space 1\2\3 - SRWE
Dishonored - SoftTH + D3D Looking Glass

In the same post, I could provide step by step instructions for each method. The SRWE multi-monitor setup I used for Alan Wake is a pain and I hope SoftTH makes it so we don't need it anymore.
I did ask about the cheat tables. I tried using the DS1 tables as a basis as suggested but wasn't able to get anything working. The trainer seemed like the next best thing. Didn't seem all that bad actually, as trainers go it was pretty easy to use and actually had something useful other than the generic cheats that most trainers have. It was worth it just to get the camera off Isaac's shoulder. =)

Compiling a list sounds like a good idea. This SoftTH sounds very interesting.

That would be great. I suppose a general post on 'How to exceed Downsampling resolutions'.

Or: 'How to expedite the death of your GPU'.

Stein3x

Yeah that's interesting.I think we should make a list with games and all the possible methods of exceeding 4k resolutions for each one ,categorized in one post ,adding new ones as we experiment

Alan wake with the use of SoftHT actually makes things MUCH easier, no need for SRWE except to only to align the window, couldn't run it higher than 2880p ,the game engine is quite demanding -_-

Yeah that's interesting.I think we should make a list with games and all the possible methods of exceeding 4k resolutions for each one ,categorized in one post ,adding new ones as we experiment

Alan wake with the use of SoftHT actually makes things MUCH easier, no need for SRWE except to only to align the window, couldn't run it higher than 2880p ,the game engine is quite demanding -_-

I was squeezing some pretty crazy resolutions out of Alan Wake but I think 2880p is high enough.

For some reason, I can't get SweetFX to work in Dishonored at the same time as SoftTH. Works fine in Borderlands 2 but not Dishonored :(

Stein3x

I was squeezing some pretty crazy resolutions out of Alan Wake but I think 2880p is high enough.

For some reason, I can't get SweetFX to work in Dishonored at the same time as SoftTH. Works fine in Borderlands 2 but not Dishonored :(

I gave it a try and it worked after 2-3 tries.Although at first the game crashed when i pressed the screenshot key in SweetFX (sweetfx was working properly) and again when i used MSI AB.

Stein3x

So you think that 4K isn't enough for you?Well you've come to the right place!

The secret behind this method

SoftTH is a program that allows you to run games using 2/3 or more monitors without special hardware. You can see a diagram here to understand how it works.But even though the program's main purpose is to run games in multi-monitor setups you can use it to run games at resolutions above 4K with one monitor only , think of it as Internal Rendering Resolution.

Wait, what?That's CRAZY, what do i need?

Here's the tricky part ,if you try to run a game at crazy resolutions most of the image will be out of your monitor borders when you apply that resolution much like when you view a 4K image on an 1080p monitor without shrinking it to fit in.Here's when the program D3D Looking Glass comes in handy ,this forces games not only to run in window mode even if there's no ingame/ini option to run but also FAKES fullscreen.D3D Looking Glass along with SRWE/Windowed Borderless Gaming will be your best friends here.

So to sum up you will need the following:

1) SoftTH | Download here , latest version is SoftTH v2.08b
2) D3D Looking Glass | Download here
3) SRWE/Windowed Borderless Gaming | Download SRWE here (make sure to read Neoenigmas guide here) & Windowed Borderless Gaming here
4) Patience | Can't do anything about that

IMPORTANT INFO

1) This method doesn't work with ALL games and even with the help of the guide you'll need some basic info for each game.For that part there will be a post & a list with all the games that work plus instructions for each one.

2) Games that work best are the ones that have an option for window mode or they can be forced with a program (Unreal Engine 3 games seem to be the most successful) so you can use Extreme resolutions while shrinking the game to fit your monitor

3) Sometimes the game may crash if you have MSI Afterburner running in the background so make sure you've enabled compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries for each game or close it completely if it keeps crashing.In addition disable Steam Overlay (thanks Neoenigma)

4) If you have two or more monitors make sure to disable them and keep only the primary ,this method works for one monitor only

5) Only DX9 games work , although older versions supported DX8. A DX11 update may come in the near future

Ok ,now GIVE ME the damn guide

Follow the instructions

A) Download SoftTH and extract the d3d9.dll in the same folder where the game executable is (Same rules as with SweetFX)

B) Run the game and the program will ask you to create the default configuration ,the game then launches.CHANGE to Window mode from the ingame menu if it's available.

-B1) The program auto detects how many monitors are available and the resolution of each one.Sometimes it helps if you change your desktop resolution to the maximum resolution you can downsample from.

C) Exit the game and then open SOFTTHCONFIG File with a text editor (like notepad). The only thing you want to change is the "renderResolution" ,change it to whatever your gpu/s can handdle ,save it. (i tested resolutions up to 5120x2880 (5K) & 7680x4320 (8K)

The tricky Part (The BIG IF)

C1) IF the game has a window mode option which you applied in step "B" then you must use D3D Looking Glass.Extract the two files in the folder where the executable is and run the Loader with Administrator rights.Select a resolution (1920x1200 works) and press "Install Hook".

You can then open the game and CHANGE from Window Mode to Fullscreen.The game will still be in Window mode thanks to D3D Looking Glass.You can then select/change resolutions like you normally do from the game options

C2) IF the game does not have a window mode option you must still use D3D Looking Glass and pray that it will work.Extract the two files in the folder where the executable is and run the Loader with Administrator rights.Select a resolution (1920x1200 works) and press "Install Hook".

Then open the game and hopefully it will be in window mode.Try and change resolutions and see if it works properly (Mirror's Edge works that way)

C3) Some games don't require the use of D3D Looking Glass when they have an ingame window option ,Alan's Wake & Hard reset works that way.

C4)You can always use SRWE to align the window with H.center/V.center or even use Fake Fullscreen if the game window is either small or slightly left/right to your screen.

F) Capture some screens with MSI Afterburner (FRAPS doesn't work correctly most of the time) to ensure that the image is indeed the resolution you used.

G) You can also use SweetFX ,it works only with the Boulotaur2024 version since it supports external wrappers. Rename the d3d9.dll from the SoftTH into something else (like SoftTH.dll) ,extract SweetFX to the same folder ,open SweetFX settings and at the bottom change the "external_d3d9_wrapper = none" to "external_d3d9_wrapper = SoftTH.dll" or whatever you named the dll.

H) You're Done!!

That's fantastic! but i can barely run games in 4K, what's the point doing this?

Well this is clearly not for everyone ,BUT It can come in handy for people that cannot downsample from 4K but have the GPU power to use it (that applies to AMD's GPUs as well)

Also this is a solution for people that are into screenshootting games with crazy hardware setups and are bound with the 4K Downsampling restriction on 1080p/1200p monitors.

Until the post with the games list is made i'll temporary keep here the following games that are working great:

- Mirror's Edge (requires D3D Looking Glass)
- Remember Me (requires D3D Looking Glass)
- Hard Reset (ingame option for Window mode)
- Alan's Wake (ingame option for Window mode)
- Lost Planet Extreme Conditions (ingame option for Window mode)
- Condemned: Criminal Origins (requires D3D Looking Glass)
- Dishonored (requires D3D Looking Glass)
- Borderlands 2 (requires D3D Looking Glass) - Thanks Neoenigma
- Kane & Lynch 2 (requires D3D Looking Glass & disable ingame Ambient Occlusion)
- Half Life² (ingame option for Window mode , can go up to 6400x3600 ,higher resolutions causes mouse problems)
- Deadlight (requires D3D Looking Glass)
- Bioshock DX9 only (requires D3D Looking Glass)
- GTA IV (requires D3D Looking Glass) - Thanks Nic Clapper

It's weird that Dishonored and Borderlands 2 have an in-game windowed mode but still require D3D Looking Glass for the higher resolution to register. In normal windowed mode, I an set 7000x3500 (for example), but that's not the resolution the game is actually running at. I have to set the game to full screen while using Looking Glass. The screenshot results are great, but in every game I can click outside the game window very easily. The game loses focus and I end up clicking on something on my 2nd monitor. The solution to that is to probably use a single monitor (i always use both my monitors) and set "fake fullscreen" with srwe.

I also can't use SweetFX with Dishonored. The external wrapper is ignored. Works fine in Borderlands 2 though. If anyone gets both working for Dishonored, let me know.

Anyways, it's still a great method for screenshots higher than 4K. It's definitely not a good gameplay solution. But that's not what this thread is about.

Here is a Dishonored screen downsampled from 8000x4000 -> 2560x1280.

About the closest thing you'll get to TiledShot in UE3 games that don't allow it.

Stein3x

Yeah ,that's the same if you have your desktop resolution at 1080p, play a game in window mode and set your resolution in 4k (driver downsampling) , most of the time the resolution won't work due to the window size.With the new ability to set higher resolutions you always have to trick the game (with D3D Looking Glass) thinking that it's in fullscreen but in reality it's running in window mode.

Sure this method is not suitable for general gameplay ,especially since the HUD in some games is veeery tiny, but it's great to have some option.The mouse problem is almost eliminated if you disable your second monitor and use SRWE to fake full screen

Also i don't know if i posted the thing about Dishonored and SweetFX but it's working for me after 2-3 attempts ,although the game crashed most of the time when i pressed the screenshot key in SweetFX

No biggy if it's too much of a bother but can you package up your SoftTH + SweetFX settings and everything relevant? I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when I use SweetFX to load SoftTH's DLL, it doesn't work :(

Stein3x

No problem :) The file is here.

Also a quick shot of the menu with SweetFX monochrome (to notice easily) with the resolution set

In the softTH ini i've changed some settings in the bottom,

[head_primary]
sourceRect=0,0,6400,3200 <= the resolution of the game (same as with renderResolution)
screenMode=3840x1920 <the resolution the monitor runs) ,since your dishonored shots are in that aspect ratio

A small general tip:

Since the custom resolutions can also be different aspect ratios and the D3D Looking Glass usually stretches the image if the desktop is in different aspect ratio, make sure to change the desktop before you start the game.SRWE fake fullscreen is also useful to prevent clicking outside of the window ;)

Nic Clapper has had success in GTA IV using this method! That game is full of aliasing even at 4K so it's nice to see there's a solution for that.

No problem :) The file is here.

Also a quick shot of the menu with SweetFX monochrome (to notice easily) with the resolution set

Thanks :) Will definitely give this a try before I finish out the Dishonored DLC I'm on.

EDIT: nooooooooope. Still doesn't work for me. Strangest thing. The SoftTH DLL doesn't get loaded. As soon as I take out SweetFX's DLL and rename SoftTH's, I see the resolution just fine.

Just proof that every PC is different. Was hoping this would be more reliable PC to PC though :(

Like most older Id Tech games, the configuration file is not encrypted, so all you need to do is edit the Preyconfig.cfg file in the base folder, and add these bindings:

bind "," "toggle ui_showGun"
bind "-" "toggle g_showHud"
bind "." "noclip"
obviously, you may change the keys used to whatever you desire :p

Until the post with the games list is made i'll temporary keep here the following games that are working great:

- Half Life² (ingame option for Window mode , can go up to 6400x3600 ,higher resolutions causes mouse problems)

I had to do some weird stuff to get Portal 2 to work.

SoftTH DLL goes in the bin folder. I set my windowed resolution and forced windowed mode via a shoftcut with launch options:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Portal 2\portal2.exe" -novid -window 1 -width 6400 -height 2700

My relevant softTH settings:
[main]
renderResolution=6400x2700

[overrides]
forceResolution=1

[head_primary]
sourceRect=0,0,6400,2700
screenMode=3840x1620

Then I just use SRWE to shrink the window back down.

Waku

Short question concerning Bioshock Infinite: Is there a way to assign different FOV Settings to Hotkeys like in Dishonored or Mirror's Edge, or at least to change them without exiting the game. Tried a few different was but no luck so far.

One3rd

Short question concerning Bioshock Infinite: Is there a way to assign different FOV Settings to Hotkeys like in Dishonored or Mirror's Edge, or at least to change them without exiting the game. Tried a few different was but no luck so far.

There is a FOV slider in-game that you can use. If the range is too narrow (was originally 15deg but I thought this was changed in later updates), you can change this with an ini setting for the max FOV offset. Found a reference on RPS.

Top Bottom