• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2013 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
From the top of my head

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Phantasy Star Nova
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Freedom Wars
Samurai Warriors 4
Project Diva f2
Over My Dead Body 2
Gravity Rush 2
Dangan-Ronpa Another Chapter
Disgaea 4

FF is 2013, right? PS3 easily beats that list.

Metallix87

about Wii U, sales wise Yoshi, DK, Kart and Smash could sell well, while probably FExSMT, Bayonetta 2 and X...it depends (now they would sell poorly imho). But I agree with those who see the Wii U lineup stronger than the Vita one listed above, sales-wise.

Wii U has games coming that could potentially sell systems. Vita does not. Wii U has major first party support coming. Vita does not.

Again, it all goes back to Sony not caring enough to try to fix things. Vita is a solid handheld being doomed by Sony's mismanagement.

sörine

Banned
I know 3DS doesn't have a lot of stuff announced for 2014 yet so I'll pass on that.
Off the top of my head it has A Link Between Worlds, Mario Golf, Yoshi's Island 3, Super Smash Bros, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, DQ Monsters 2, Layton 7, Hero Bank and Game Center CX-3.

Wii U has games coming that could potentially sell systems. Vita does not. Wii U has major first party support coming. Vita does not.

Again, it all goes back to Sony not caring enough to try to fix things. Vita is a solid handheld being doomed by Sony's mismanagement.

I keep hearing this but what did Sony do specifically with the PSP that they're failing to do this time with the Vita currently? The Vita is suffering more from the vastly different market conditions of its release, the lessened strength of the Playstation brand as opposed to when the PSP was launched and the loss of MH (in Japan) than it is from Sony's so called 'neglect'.

BriBri

Nice to see Kuma Tomo chugging along nicely. Can't wait to hear for the sequel (and knowing Namco Bandai it WON'T be on iOS/Android).

Speaking of Namco Bandai and regarding LIST WARZ, have people forgotten Super Smash Bros. on 3DS as well as the aforementioned DQM2, Curtain Call (I can't spell the T word!) plus all kinds of elf boys, green dinosaurs, fat plumbers and
pink marshmallows
!

Edit: I was beaten to the Smash Bros. Damn iOS device!

What's the PS3 got right now for 2013?

Off the top of my head Dark Souls II, Yakuza: Ishin, other stuff that was announced that's cross-gen with PS4 that I don't remember.

Spiegel

I'm not really trying to get into a list war, but I would say if you are talking about games with the ability to move hardware, I would put Wii U comfortably ahead of that lineup. I would say SW4 could be a good title if it's a Vita exclusive, but I really doubt that honestly. That list for the most part reads
like a literal retread of this year.

I would also comfortably probably put PS3 ahead of that list as well

I know 3DS doesn't have a lot of stuff announced for 2014 yet so I'll pass on that.

Opinions and all, I think the Vita lineup is (probably) the best because it has a good amount of games, the majority announced in these last few months and many of them coming in Q1/Q2. The list is missing games from other developers, but I didn't want to start a list war.

And don't you mean that the WiiU list is a literal retread of the 2013 list? Because it does have the same exact games as the ones people have been listing since January. :p

I keep hearing this but what did Sony do specifically with the PSP that they're failing to do this time with the Vita currently? The Vita is suffering more from the vastly different market conditions of its release, the lessened strength of the Playstation brand as opposed to when the PSP was launched and the loss of MH (in Japan) than it is from Sony's so called 'neglect'.

And I would say Freedom Wars, Over My Dead Body 2, Gravity Rush 2 and Soul Sacrifice Delta can be considered major Sony support. The only thing bigger that they have is Gran Turismo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

well, they didn't seal any deal for MH with capcom, basically.
considering the different market situations you mentioned, this is the biggest difference in mismanagement between PSP and Vita (because even PSP was literally turned down-upside by MH back in the days)
Plus, I've the impression that with Vita Sony is pushing too much into the PS3/4 integrations (cannibalizing the weakest link of the chain, so Vita)

sörine

Banned
What's the PS3 got right now for 2013?

Off the top of my head Dark Souls II, Yakuza: Ishin, other stuff that was announced that's cross-gen with PS4 that I don't remember.
Samurai Warriors 4, Sengoku Basara 3, Project Diva F2, Gundam Extreme Versus Full Boost, MGSV off the top of my head for bigger titles.

Yeah. They are using same strategy as with PSP but with the problems you listed. Sure they could put more resources to develop Vita games but that would be away from PS4 and we know which one is more important to Sony. It kinda feels that they launched Vita out of obligation. The day MH4 went 3DS exclusive I knew that Sony really doesn't care about Vita that much.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Opinions and all, I think the Vita lineup is (probably) the best because it has a good amount of games, the majority announced in these last few months and many of them coming in Q1/Q2. The list is missing games from other developers, but I didn't want to start a list war.

And don't you mean that the WiiU list is a literal retread of the 2013 list? Because it does have the same exact games as the ones people have been listing since January. :p

I just don't see any title on that list that could really move the needle. It has better quantity than Wii U, sure, but as far as big sellers go that list seems pretty limp.

And as others have stated better than me, PS3 and 3DS easily beat that (thanks to the poster who posted the 3DS list)

guek

Banned
I keep hearing this but what did Sony do specifically with the PSP that they're failing to do this time with the Vita currently? The Vita is suffering more from the vastly different market conditions of its release, the lessened strength Playstation brand power as opposed to when the PSP was launched and the loss of MH (in Japan) than it is from Sony's so called 'neglect'.
yeah I agree. it's just the lack of success that's making it stand out

From the top of my head

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Phantasy Star Nova

Soul Sacrifice Delta
Freedom Wars
Samurai Warriors 4
Project Diva f2
Over My Dead Body 2
Gravity Rush 2
Dangan-Ronpa Another Chapter
Disgaea 4

Definitely interested in the bold titles. Vita Tv better be here by next year.

Spiegel

I just don't see any title on that list that could really move the needle. It has better quantity than Wii U, sure, but as far as big sellers go that list seems pretty limp.

And as others have stated better than me, PS3 and 3DS easily beat that (thanks to the poster who posted the 3DS list)

You are too fixated on wanting a potential huge game that will change everything.

Vita doesn't need that game to start selling 25k weekly. It needs games released each week and yes, I think it needs VitaTV. The former is getting there if the recent trend of announcements continues and the latter is coming in November.

But hey, if I'm wrong I'm wrong. We'll see in a few months.

And I would say Freedom Wars, Over My Dead Body 2, Gravity Rush 2 and Soul Sacrifice Delta can be considered major Sony support. The only thing bigger that they have is Gran Turismo.
Definitely. While it probably won't cover up the obvious loss of Monster Hunter and Square-Enix's less emphasis on dedicated handheld support this go around, they're at least trying which is more than people seem to want to give them credit for. I'm just not seeing what much more they can do given the strengths of their first party studios. Games like The Last of Us, Killzone and Uncharted are simply better served on consoles, and the latter two have already graced the Vita in some form.

Yeah. They are using same strategy as with PSP but with the problems you listed. Sure they could put more resources to develop Vita games but that would be away from PS4 and we know which one is more important to Sony. It kinda feels that they launched Vita out of obligation. The day MH4 went 3DS exclusive I knew that Sony really doesn't care about Vita that much.
The Vita isn't their priority but they do care. MH was a big loss no doubt, but it's erroneous to think they had it in their grip when it's a third party franchise in the first place. PS3 lost a lot of exclusives the PS2 had, but we didn't attribute those loses to Sony not caring about the PS3. Sometimes the market trends just take over, we can see the effects even on the 3DS.

BlackJace

Regarding Smash, would it have been a better idea to just show the Wii U version at its reveal? They could have been working on the 3DS version like they have been doing, but only make the Wii U version known. The Wii U version would retail for a year or two, and then, once they believe they've squeezed as much adoption as they can, they would reveal the 3DS version.

Some of my friends have been saying that they are holding out for the 3DS version first. I've also seen similar opinions around here, too. The 3DS version cannibalizing the Wii U one is really becoming a serious possibility.

Haha, the 3DS is really what is killing the Wii U isn't it?

schuelma

You are too fixated on wanting a potential huge game that will change everything.

Vita doesn't need that game to start selling 25k weekly. It needs games released each week and yes, I think it needs VitaTV. The former is getting there if the recent trend of announcements continues and the latter is coming in November.

Yeah let's just agree to disagree. Maybe if Vita TV is a smash, but that lineup leading to 25k weekly sales strikes me as extremely unlikely (and for the record, Wii U sales reaching that level are just as unlikely).

Regarding Smash, would it have been a better idea to just show the Wii U version at its reveal? They could have been working on the 3DS version like they have been doing, but only make the Wii U version known. The Wii U version would retail for a year or two, and then, once they believe they've squeezed as much adoption as they can, they would reveal the 3DS version.

Some of my friends have been saying that they are holding out for the 3DS version first. I've also seen similar opinions around here, too.

No its Nintendo and their bad decisions. Smash would of been a massive system seller for WiiU but now theres a 3DS option.

Some of my friends have been saying that they are holding out for the 3DS version first. I've also seen similar opinions around here, too.

Agreed. The 3DS version being handled concurrently with the WiiU version is really an odd strategic decision.

That said the WiiU's problems are a bit more fundamental than the existence of a 3DS Smash.

z0m3le

Banned

Some of my friends have been saying that they are holding out for the 3DS version first. I've also seen similar opinions around here, too. The 3DS version cannibalizing the Wii U one is really becoming a serious possibility.

Smash on the 3DS's slide pad would be challenging I think, I would figure that it will be bad for competition, while the Wii U's version would allow pro controller and I'm sure gamecube through Wiimote adapters would work (uses the classic controller configuration) Honestly I don't really think it matters which game people buy, but I would love if cross play was an option at some point.

Metallix87

Sony got lucky with the PSP, that's all. It would've suffered the same fate as the Vita if third parties hadn't cone along and put a massive quantity of content on it. Today, though, things have changed. 3DS is powerful enough to handle those games, and Nintendo actually supports their platform. Sony can't sit back again and just hope for a miracle. They need to be proactive, and they need to utilize their top developers on the platform, to show consumers and publishers that Vita is more than a PS4 controller. That's why I keep saying Sony has to do more. It's up to them to prove their system is a must-have, much like it's up to Nintendo to do the same for Wii U. The difference? Nintendo seems to get it, even if it's taking them a long time to fix the matter. Sony seems oblivious to the problems, and it almost seems like they just don't care enough to help the Vita out.

Opiate

Identifying the reasons for Vita's struggles seem very challenging for most because it's such a hardcore focused device that very few people like to find fault with it.

Nobody wants to blame the hardware, but few want to blame the software, either. Many people want to argue that the hardware is amazing and the lineup is great, but one of those things has to be untrue for the system to be selling like it is. From an objective perspective of course; you're perfectly allowed to subjectively love the Virtua Boy's lineup, if you so desire.

In these sorts of situations, people tend to place all the blame on advertising, because it allows the product to escape unscathed; it isn't the system or the game's fault, it's just that Sony (or Nintendo or Microsoft) aren't properly communicating how amazing and awesome this system and its games are. I don't mean to suggest advertising never matters at all, but people disproportionately rely on this explanation because it allows them to avoid blaming the system. In the case of Vita, the sales have been so terrible that something else must be going on.

The Vita isn't their priority but they do care. MH was a big loss no doubt, but it's erroneous to think they had it in their grip when it's a third party franchise in the first place. PS3 lost a lot of exclusives the PS2 had, but we didn't attribute those loses to Sony not caring about the PS3. Sometimes the market trends just take over, we can see the effects even on the 3DS.

After the launch hype of PSP died off imo it was the MH that kept the platform healthy and brought a lot of other publishers and games to the platform. Sure the same happened to PS3 but I don't see any single game as important for PS3 in any territory as MH was to PSP in Japan. Its whole ecosystem was build around the game. They should have tried to keep it no matter the costs. Sure the market trends are also major reason and nothing could have saved Vita in west as even with huge support from Nintendo 3DS is barely pulling decent numbers.

Metallix87

As I said, it's not advertising (or, at least, not "just" advertising), it's Sony's lineup being poorly focused for the handheld demographics, and Sony refusing to put their top teams to work on Vita content.

BlackJace

I recall that the 3DS version was to be released after the Wii U version, actually.
But that wouldn't be as effective as not acknowledging it exists until a good while after the console version drops.

As I said, it's not advertising (or, at least, not "just" advertising), it's Sony's lineup being poorly focused for the handheld demographics, and Sony refusing to put their top teams to work on Vita content.

Just like how Nintendo prioritises their handheld department Sony prioritises their home console department.

Tripon

Just like how Nintendo prioritises their handheld department Sony prioritises their home console department.

Just goes to show how hard it is to support two different systems with quality software lineups. Makes sense why Microsoft doesn't want to get into the dedicated handheld sector.

saichi

Final fantasy is still a strong name. not talking out of bias here but it is a system seller (except on the xbox)

Final Fantasy is still a strong name but it's not as strong as you think it is. And that's for the new entries and not a 10 yr old port. The strong name of Final Fantasy doesn't do much for Lighting Returns.

It might if the game gets delayed out of the holiday season and the Vita gets a price drop that week...maybe.

and during a slow season when 3DS is selling near it's baseline 45K. then maybe.

By the way on the vita front, now that the console is out since... 2 years is that correct?
We can say the transition havn't gone very well.
Maybe here the lack of backward compatibility has been underestimated.
It has been a long time since we have seen a hardware without backward compatibility, what was the previous one? The Dreamcast?

Isn't PS3 not backward compatible? PS4 is also gonna be one. Personally I think it would be a factor in Japan.

So in your option, Vita probably has the best (announced) line up of all consoles for next year. What's so funny about it if it's only your opinion?

Isn't it already here for this year? VITA has 50K titles released on a regular base and occasionally 150-200K ones.

Metallix87

Yeah, but Nintendo never ignores their consoles right out of the gates. Even with Wii U, Nintendo quickly moved to announce a bunch of big, system-selling titles for the system, despite being pretty unprepared for the transition.

Meanwhile, Sony was outsourcing high profile exclusives to Nihilistic.

sörine

Banned
I would say Nintendo seems pretty evenhanded with development priority. Their top teams make both handheld and console games these days, they just tend to refocus on each early in it's lifecycle. Right now it seems Wii U is getting a lot more internal attention than 3DS.

schuelma

sörine;83784511 said:
I would say Nintendo seems pretty evenhanded with development priority. Their top teams make both handheld and console games these days, they just tend to refocus on each early in it's lifecycle. Right now it seems Wii U is getting a lot more internal attention than 3DS.

Agree. I think sometimes it looks like Nintendo focuses on handhelds because it's just such a contrast to Sony, but now that 3DS is relatively established I think you will see more Wii U focus.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think as a whole yes.

That they're unifying the platforms' libraries is one of the most painful parts.

NSMB2 -> NSMBU
SM3DL -> SM3DW
MK7 -> MK8
SSB 3DS/SSB WiiU
Zelda OoT Remake -> Zelda WW Remake
Mario Party: Island Tour -> Wii Party U

The system's biggest titles are all games that you can get a similar replacement product for on 3DS.

They even bothered to go port Donkey Kong Returns to 3DS in the lead up to the new game, but at least that was something most people already played on Wii.

The 3DS's exclusive first party support currently consists of games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing. The Wii U primarily has faded casual series, Pikmin 3, and niche core titles like X and Bayonetta 2.

RM8

Nobody wants to blame the hardware, but few want to blame the software, either. Many people want to argue that the hardware is amazing and the lineup is great, but one of those things has to be untrue for the system to be selling like it is. From an objective perspective of course; you're perfectly allowed to subjectively love the Virtua Boy's lineup, if you so desire.
So true. Personally, I wouldn't blame the hardware do much (even though it was a factor, 3DS had shown that $250 handhelds are not a great idea), but even if you adore Vita's lineup it's undeniable that it severely lacks an appealing exclusive library, and that as much as indie games are awesome, they are not selling a system that was conceived as a "console experience on the go".

SmokyDave

Identifying the reasons for Vita's struggles seem very challenging for most because it's such a hardcore focused device that very few people like to find fault with it.

In these sorts of situations, people tend to place all the blame on advertising, because it allows the product to escape unscathed; it isn't the system or the game's fault, it's just that Sony (or Nintendo or Microsoft) aren't properly communicating how amazing and awesome this system and its games are. I don't mean to suggest advertising never matters at all, but people disproportionately rely on this explanation because it allows them to avoid blaming the system. In the case of Vita, the sales have been so terrible that something else must be going on.
I think 'it's the software' has been screamed from the rooftops since the device launched. No matter how many games with middling appeal there are, people want those big franchises that will sell the system (even though they're all exclusive to the 3DS). The reception of KZ: M / Uncharted / WipEout etc.. in the west has me convinced that there's literally nothing Sony could put on the system that would sell the device to people outside of the niche that already have one, or intend to buy one.

It isn't just the software though. It's the whole package. It simply doesn't appeal to the masses, at all. The device has pretty much everything going against it, and it's a fucking miracle that it's lived this long.

sörine

Banned

This is a really good post and I think very true. It's also very applicable to Wii U I'd say which tended to get similar messaging/advertising focus as the reasoning for it's bad performance in the early going. Not that they aren't a problem too though.

Sony got lucky with the PSP, that's all. It would've suffered the same fate as the Vita if third parties hadn't cone along and put a massive quantity of content on it. Today, though, things have changed. 3DS is powerful enough to handle those games, and Nintendo actually supports their platform. Sony can't sit back again and just hope for a miracle. They need to be proactive, and they need to utilize their top developers on the platform, to show consumers and publishers that Vita is more than a PS4 controller. That's why I keep saying Sony has to do more. It's up to them to prove their system is a must-have, much like it's up to Nintendo to do the same for Wii U. The difference? Nintendo seems to get it, even if it's taking them a long time to fix the matter. Sony seems oblivious to the problems, and it almost seems like they just don't care enough to help the Vita out.

Luck played a bit of a role for the PSP I agree, but the solution isn't as simple as putting their top teams on Vita. Their top teams are AAA teams - teams that work with insanely high budgets + have a strong focus on cinematic/visuals - these are titles that must sell in the multi-millions to justify being green-lit, and is why many of their top teams stick to consoles because that's the proven ground for such titles. This is a fundamental difference from the strengths of Nintendo's top teams and the nature of their franchises which lend themselves better to a portable environment. Sony is instead focusing their development on quirkier titles, proven genre for the portable environment (hunting action for example) and a strong indie focus. It's about the best they can do given their current resources, imo.

Tripon

I think as a whole yes.

That they're unifying the platforms' libraries is one of the most painful parts.

NSMB2 -> NSMBU
SM3DL -> SM3DW
MK7 -> MK8
SSB 3DS/SSB WiiU
Zelda OoT Remake -> Zelda WW Remake
Mario Party 9 -> Wii Party U

The system's biggest titles are all games that you can get a similar replacement product for on 3DS.

They even bothered to go port Donkey Kong Returns to 3DS in the lead up to the new game, but at least that was something most people already played on Wii.

The 3DS's exclusive first party support currently consists of games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing. The Wii U primarily has faded casual series, Pikmin 3, and niche core titles like X and Bayonetta 2.

Aren't the Mario Party 9 people doing Mario Party 3DS? Thought Wii Party U is being handled by a different dev team.

Sorry vitas lineup is not even remotely close to being good enough to be classified as best nei year unless talking about from a list of games you want to play and then I don't really see the relevance. Some people think it had the best lineup last year. Zelda and dragon quest will outsell everything else on vita in q1 combined

sörine

Banned
Agree. I think sometimes it looks like Nintendo focuses on handhelds because it's just such a contrast to Sony, but now that 3DS is relatively established I think you will see more Wii U focus.
Yes, I totally agree. It's very easy to track Nintendo's internal focus going back from GC to DS to Wii to 3DS to now Wii U. Usually each gets a lot of 1st party effort it's first several years and then Nintendo's teams move on to the next hardware and let the previous one coast on mainly 3rd party and catalog games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Why can't it be something other than any of the things you listed? When people blame advertising they're missing the bigger point, the Vita was a system that never had a chance.

The PSP was the 2nd place handheld in Japan and worldwide. The only real difference between the Vita and the PSP is that its now the 3rd place handheld device. The 3DS is 2nd place and mobile has taken over as the primary "handheld" device. The Vita took a higher price point on both hardware and the cost of games which made it an even worse proposition for the market.

Basically the market that the Vita was going for was already gone and taken up by 2 different things. I feel the same way about the Wii U. Nintendo didn't beat next gen to the punch, they were 7 years late to last gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aren't the Mario Party 9 people doing Mario Party 3DS? Thought Wii Party U is being handled by a different dev team.

Sorry I lost count of Mario Parties and thought 9 was the 3DS game.

My intention with that comparison was that instead of buying a Wii U for Wii Party U, you could wait one month and pick up Mario Party: Island Tour instead.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I don't think that N priorities handheld, honestly. The priority comes just from the timings of Hardware releases.

Btw, I agree at least partially with Nirolak's Wii U-3DS analysis and I absolutely agree with Opiate's Vita analysis.

sörine;83785111 said:
This is a really good post and I think very true. It's also very applicable to Wii U I'd say which tended to get similar messaging/advertising focus as the reasoning for it's bad performance in the early going. Not that they aren't a problem too though.

I haven't seen a Wii U ad on TV since 2012, so it's definitely a factor. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen a Vita ad on TV at all, although I have seen one in the movie theater a few times.

Why can't it be something other than any of the things you listed? When people blame advertising they're missing the bigger point, the Vita was a system that never had a chance.

The PSP was the 2nd place handheld in Japan and worldwide. The only real difference between the Vita and the PSP is that its now the 3rd place handheld device. The 3DS is 2nd place and mobile has taken over as the primary "handheld" device. The Vita took a higher price point on both hardware and the cost of games which made it an even worse proposition for the market.

Basically the market that the Vita was going for was already gone and taken up by 2 different things. I feel the same way about the Wii U. Nintendo didn't beat next gen to the punch, they were 7 years late to last gen.
I don't think what your saying is really contradicting what Opiate's saying, which is basically that products fail because they're simply not a good product for the wider market.

Market validation is probably one of the most fundamentally important things about launching a product/venture, and it really seems like both of these currently ailing products were sorely lacking in that regard.

jwhit28

I haven't seen a Wii U ad on TV since 2012, so it's definitely a factor. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen a Vita ad on TV at all, although I have seen one in the movie theater a few times.

In the US Pikmin 3 got a lot of commercials on the stations like Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel. Vita had a ton of TV ads with Call of Duty and MLB the Show.

sörine

Banned
Nintendo until recently prioritized their big teams on console not handheld development
That really changed a decade ago when Iwata reorganized their internal teams. DS was the first handheld we saw Nintendo unify their internal development around entirely, before that though it was more delineated between EAD on consoles and what's now SPD on Game Boy.

Top Bottom