• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Major, yes. I don't get that vibe from Penello though. Only when he has to be in PR mode. Shu acts like the everyman, everyone can relate, he's a seemingly cool guy. That in itself can be PR though.

Ok... I feel sorry for Manny.

Moving on though, too much off topic non sense for me.
Go read some of Penello's meltdown posts. Guy's been in full PR mode the whole time he's been here. We've been getting pretty consistently inconsistent, irrational, and confusing messages from MS since Sony's reveal in February.

Which I guess is why people jump all over them all the time, while Sony is generally lauded. It's not just about any one point; it's also about the trend.

This was probably a shipping error on Target's side. How could he get it from that company so soon otherwise? Requesting it early would not have changed anything.

railGUN

Banned
Why the hell would you connect to Live knowing MS's history when it comes to early releases?

Or maybe he didn't know?

I'd personally assume that Microsoft would have some kind of preventative measure in place to stop the general public from wandering into their unfinished network. I mean, it's not like he hacked his way in.

Because everyone is not the same, Shu has always been very candid and open. Major Nelson is not in the same league as Shu, Panello is the guy who tried to downplay PS4 specs on this very forum. So no, they dont get treated same way as Shu because they are not Shu.

Fake Edit: Long Live Shu.

I see it as people trying to do their jobs, I guess that's why I'm not too hard or congratulatory towards anyone. They could have tried a different angle on that PS4 superiority thing though, because they can't outright say "yeah PS4 is more powerful".

wow, u mad?

Vexed.

You're the one who ASKED!!

Yeah, and the answer wasn't even related to what we were talking about which was off topic to begin with, so I'm dropping it.

teiresias

The statement he made seemed to me as if the unbanning on the 22nd would be for everyone in a similar situation. Him reaching out seemed to be the only special treatment. I dunno though, I don't think he would have gotten banned if he didn't bring so much attention to himself, though I do appreciate what he did.

You can't have it both ways. Either it's an automated banning due to the servers knowing the "legal" date a "wild Xbox One" is allowed to connect and hence the reversal of the bannings can be automated OR he was selectively banned due to bringing attention to himself and hence the banning likely can't be part of an automated reversal process set up for a contingency such as this and it would require some jumping through hoops to get it reversed.

I'm leaning towards the latter if only because they also flagged his Youtube videos at the same time.

Sydle

So... uh, can I get a summary of what happened here? I'm not reading > 60 pages.

1. Guy gets an Xbox One Friday evening, because Target fucked up
  2. He posts an unboxing video on YouTube
  3. People laugh, 'Console is useless without the day one patch!'
  4. He connects to Live and downloads the day one patch
  5. Posts a bunch of details with highly positive reaction
  6. Couple folks on Twitter advise him not post any gameplay, he agrees to wait
  7. More folks on Twitter start tweeting that he has the console and is answering questions
  8. Couple media outlets pick up that he's spewing details
  9. Microsoft takes unboxing video down with a copyright strike, asking for proof of purchase
  10. He responds to said email with proof of purchase
  11. People start tweeting to him how he was wronged
  12. Talks about suing MS
  13. Hours of people upset over unboxing video taken down
  14. Dude emails MS to see when/if the unboxing video can go back up
  15. More bitching from people about video being taken down
  16. Dude jokes he "might sue them lol"
  17. Around midnight his console gets banned from XBL, but not his account
  18. Dude contacts @Microsoft to explain, tweets @Microsoft several times with no response
  19. People get in an uproar over how he was wronged, they suggest to sue
  20. Dude stays calm, says he will go straight to MS
  21. People go back to being raged about the unboxing video being taken down
  22. Dude goes to sleep
  23. Major Nelson joins the GAF thread and says he's going to try to resolve it
  24. GAF still kind of in uproar

Demon Ice

Banned
Tell me about it. He got his own thread for replying "no" to a tweet asking if they'd ban someone for getting PS4 early. He's being treated like a god for a simple "no".

Even if they would do that, would they come right out and say it? Why say anything damaging against your company? I bet if anyone asked MS before this, the answer would have been "no".

Oh my god you're so salty because Sony wouldn't ban a legitimately bought console from their online service and MS would?

This is amazing.

Almost as amazing as Microsoft fucking over a dude who was giving them more positive reactions and impressions of the XB1 than any of their PR failures have ever managed.

Tell me about it. He got his own thread for replying "no" to a tweet asking if they'd ban someone for getting PS4 early. He's being treated like a god for a simple "no".

"NO"
ik0ViLnyNyeJ.gif

Even if they would do that, would they come right out and say it? Why say anything damaging against your company? I bet if anyone asked MS before this, the answer would have been "no".

Major Nelson is a PR who usually has PR responses. The fact that we keep calling him Major Nelson shows. In the past, MS has banned consoles permanently and I've yet to see a temporary ban, so his words are very ineffective compared to a far greater consesous. Its all about "I'll believe it when I see it", and as of now Sony has not banned anyone... Yet. MS on the other hand banned the very first legal owner of the console even before the console released (That's 100% track record, isnt it?). If that isn't alarming then nothing can alarm you. Fact that there are people defending this action is very alarming to me.

Regardless, its good to know that there are people in both companies looking at this matter. Your bitterness doesn't help.

Oh my god you're so salty because Sony wouldn't ban a legitimately bought console from their online service and MS would?

This is amazing.

Almost as amazing as Microsoft fucking over a dude who was giving them more positive reactions and impressions of the XB1 than any of their PR failures have ever managed.

I just don't understand some of these guys.

Barzul

He got banned from Live, not like the console is a brick. The service doesn't launch till the 22nd, he's not a beta participant. Why should he get access to it? Microsoft stated their product releases on the 22nd, it's not the 22nd. I'm glad he managed to get the Day One update, at least he can game offline till the 22nd.

It's not a production network according to the Xbox dev. At least not yet.

I think it's perfectly fair for them to say you don't have access to this portion of XBL yet. Ban is another word for access denied. Judging by the Major Nelson tweet, it will get sorted out accordingly.

We're talking about retail consoles, I'm almost sure that they are connecting to production endpoints on the Xbox network. Otherwise, they would need to have a software rule in the consoles that makes them connect to a dev network if it isn't Nov 22 yet.

From what you're saying we can suppose that the production endpoint is connecting to a dev/test/pre-production network internally, which is absolutely possible and understandable. If that's so, they really fucked up the messaging telling people they got banned.

I'm glad that it was just a message problem.

wait where did you get this info from?
"Due to a systems error, Target shipped a small number of video game consoles prior to the street date," a Target spokesperson said in their statement to Kotaku. "The vast majority of video game preorders are slated to arrive on the street date."

MIMIC

Banned
Paco: Heh, thanks for the summary

Yeah, I was wondering about the video being taken down. If it was just the unboxing, then Microsoft is just salty. If he posted the UI, then MS is still salty but has a claim (although it's unwarranted because it's fair usage)

Marvel

could never
Nice to know Nelson is going to try and get in contact and sort this out with him. Microsoft could have just ignored this but they aren't so that's good news.

Yeah, and that was from 5 hours ago. I didn't really understand the overreaction.

Console bans are almost always permanent, that's why. And this was entirely undeserved. Paying customer doing nothing wrong.

I appreciate MS PR trying to contact him, but this is merely indicative of the caustic, heavy-handed culture surrounding the Xbox brand.

He got banned from Live, not like the console is a brick. The service doesn't launch till the 22nd, he's not a beta participant. Why should he get access to it? Microsoft stated their product releases on the 22nd, it's not the 22nd. I'm glad he managed to get the Day One update, at least he can game offline till the 22nd.

Horrible post.

I feel like people here are always in detective mode, looking for something that isn't there, and twisting it so that they can pounce on some unsuspecting pray.

What I meant was that, they're both helpful but only Shu gets credit and threads etc. I'm non partisan, I follow the games, but it seems as though a lot of people follow the companies or company employees that they like.

"Due to a systems error, Target shipped a small number of video game consoles prior to the street date," a Target spokesperson said in their statement to Kotaku. "The vast majority of video game preorders are slated to arrive on the street date."

Ah ok, must have missed that from the Kotaku article

Jeels

I feel really bad for the individual. They were doing lots of good drumming up more interest for the console than MS was. Hopefully it is temporary because it would suck to lose your account and access to the Xbox One after being one of its first users.

If what you're saying is true, banning him from Live doesn't sound like a good measure.

What if he also has a 360? He can't play online or watch Netflix then? Blocking the console till the 22nd would have been a better solution IMO.

Barzul

If what you're saying is true, banning him from Live doesn't sound like a good measure.

What if he also has a 360? He can't play online or watch Netflix then? Blocking the console till the 22nd would have been a better solution IMO.

I thought it was the console specifically that was banned from Live and not his account. I might be wrong on this.

Orca

Which is exactly what they did.

Alpende

2. Posts a bunch of details with highly positive reaction
  3. Couple folks on Twitter advise him not post any gameplay, he agrees to wait
  4. More folks on Twitter start tweeting that he has the console and is answering questions
  5. Couple media outlets pick up that he's spewing details
  6. He posts an unboxing video to YouTube
  7. Microsoft takes unboxing video down with a copyright strike, asking for proof of purhcase
  8. He responds to said email with proof of purchase
  9. People start tweeting to him how his was wronged
  10. Talks about suing MS
  11. Hours of people upset over unboxing video taken down
  12. Dude emails MS to see when/if the unboxing video can go back up
  13. More bitching from people about video being taken down
  14. Dude jokes he "might sue them lol"
  15. Around midnight his console gets banned from XBL, but not his account
  16. Dude contacts @Microsoft to explain, tweets @Microsoft several times with no response
  17. People get in an uproar over how he was wronged, they suggest to sue
  18. Dude stays calm, says he will go straight to MS
  19. People go back to being raged about the unboxing video being taken down
  20. Dude goes to sleep
  21. Major Nelson joins the GAF thread and says he's going to try to resolve it
  22. GAF still kind of in uproar

Thanks for this. Good to see that Major Nelson replied at least. I doubt it's going to help though.

Mokubba

Wow, 150 Xbone's in the wild.

If they unban this guy's console, surely they won't ban anyone else who posts some videos.

Bsigg12

I think everything will turn out fine for him. Microsoft must understand the excitement coursing through the guy, hell they probably watched the unboxing video. I'm sure they'll contact him, ask him to not post anything else and they'll whitelist his box for use. It's not his fault Target fucked up and there is no NDA for retail units shipped from a retailer so he's not really in the wrong, Microsoft probably just wants to show off everything he did in their own way.

I will say though, the way he did was pretty great. It was an exciting night haha

4. More folks on Twitter start tweeting that he has the console and is answering questions
  7. Microsoft takes unboxing video down with a copyright strike, asking for proof of purhcase
  10. Talks about suing MS
  16. Dude contacts @Microsoft to explain, tweets @Microsoft several times with no response
  20. Dude goes to sleep

I juts woke up so thanks.

Christ Microsoft completely bungled this one. I would be completely pissed if I spend $500 bucks for a Xbone just for Microsoft to band it because I happened get it early. Dude never signed any NDA's.

"NO"
ik0ViLnyNyeJ.gif

xboners sure are mad that sony is doing it the right way.

good stuff.

kaskade

10. Talks about suing MS
  20. Dude goes to sleep
Thanks for this. Pretty crazy, they really shouldn't have banned his console. If anything they should be going after target.

Why would people assume he'd get unbanned? remember the gaffer who got halo 4 early? 343 said they'd fix it but he ended up SOL and had to buy a new console. Looking at prior incidents there's really no reason to believe this will get resolved.

The only reason I could think why he would get unbanned is because this story really blew up compared to the Halo 4 story.

Sydle

How could MS take down a youtube unboxing video on copyright grounds?

That's where things took a turn and that's what most of the response has been around, because it didn't make any sense.

The console being banned from XBL got a very small response in comparison.

Gahadmor

Neo Member
Talking about an NDA is irrelevant. When he signs in to the console, he accepts the EULA that goes with it. If the EULA does not allow you to sign in before the release date, that's all that is needed to prevent him for doing just that.

I hate your avatar, he looks like a dude I know named Manny. fake @$$ Hawaiian.

lol. His avatar is Avatar Wan (lol) from a show called Legend of Korra. Not that you necessarily care.

10. Talks about suing MS
  20. Dude goes to sleep

Okay, this is a much better summary. Thanks.

Bsigg12

Why would people assume he'd get unbanned? remember the gaffer who got halo 4 early? 343 said they'd fix it but he ended up SOL and had to buy a new console. Looking at prior incidents there's really no reason to believe this will get resolved.

He has proof that its from Target. The guy with Halo 4 failed to produce a receipt to Stinkles (Frankie, from 343) to prove it was a legit copy so he remained banned.

Top Bottom