• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: ACIV: Black Flag is sub-1080p on Xbox One

Damian.

Banned
This is bullshit. I despise the mandatory Kinect, the ridiculous pricing for the inferior hardware, the lies and deception on every step of the PR, the direction Microsoft wants to take gaming with their policies.

I absolutely do want them to fail and it's mostly because I don't want anyone to get behind what Microsoft stands for these days in the industry. If they fail, the market will be a bit more monopolized by Sony for a while, sure. It might even be a little bit smaller, some people might choose to get out of gaming instead of getting a PS4 or WiiU - but I don't think this would be much of an issue.

If they don't fail, everyone will see how much bullshit you can get away with, and Microsoft's vision of the future will be one step closer to becoming a reality. To me, that's a much worse outcome for the industry than a turbulence of a failure of Xbone.

Exactly. It's amazing what people will allow MS to get away with. They have been feeding on the ignorance of the general population for over a decade and it has gotten worse and worse year after year. They need to fail so the industry as a whole can get back on track.

erawsd

Consoles are on their way out, and all of this is just the beginning of the massacre that is about to take place. It is very true that everyone should get a PC, as that is the only platform that has a definite future. I am just laughing at all the people that are tricked into buying an XBone due to misinformation by ignorant parties loyal to the XBox brand.

To your failure argument, it's not 1993 anymore. There is no need for competing consoles when the PC has by far the lowest prices on games, the most competition on the singular platform and the best experience possible. Exclusives for consoles are keeping competition at bay and prices artificially high for everyone, that is a fact. Competing consoles in 2013 are bad for everyone. Sad that you and others still have a mindset that is 2 decades old. Try and get a clue before attempting to make an argument, don't make yourself look silly.

PCs are being buried in the same grave. Tablets are taking over, they are the future of PCs, consoles, TVs, books.... In 10 years we will drive tablets to work.

Loomer

iAbUFwQE4FYzx.gif

Banderas keeps on gifing... I mean, giving.

I think the Sony Fanboys are polarized by the X1 because they have no real AAA exclusive beside KZ coming to their platform at launch. They literally have no games to talk about

Demon Ice

Banned
The real question though is... is the lighting aggressive? Does it...does it POP? That's what matters.

Play the game, not the resolution guys.

On a more serious note, I'd like to make a prediction right now. Halo 5 will not be 1080p. It will be 720p if 343i choose to return to proper Halo gameplay of wide open engagements with hordes of AI involved and high detail lighting and particle effects. Or it will be 900p if they choose to follow Halo 4's linear corridor gameplay with few AI at a time and generally gimped lighting and effects.

I still have XP so I would need a new OS to take advantage of the new RAM, in addition to buying a new motherboard and CPU. My 768 MB GTX 460 GPU would also need upgrading to run modern games at 1080p. At that point, it would make sense to also get an SSD. The only thing worth keeping is the case.

get a new case as well. A modern case for $50 or so will already be vastly superior to your old one in terms of air circulation and ease of installing shit.

Also, I'm gonna guess that you might need a bigger case as well with how much longer cards are vs your 460 (I had to do that recently lol)

Steel

Banned
Is this really in question?

People actually think a PS4 is some day going to perform like a card that is 2x more powerful?

How, exactly? Magic? Does the PS4 feature nano technology that creates compute cores out fo the dust in your lvingroom?

'cause that would be killer.

I think you misinterpreted what he said. He's saying that instead of buying a new ps4, you could buy a $400 gpu that's more powerful in a couple years.

Z3M0G

Marcus must be foaming at the mouth due to this thread... the whole point of his video is to tell people they need to stop these campaigns about resolution, etc... yet here we are, starting a damaging rumor based upon a few select words he spoke which really don't tell us anything concrete at all.

Ocaso

wellt he original post was just asking for gpus.

with the gap between pc and next gen closer than ever before, I really can't see why a 290 won't be able to play ps4 quality games at medium- high at 1080p.

Closed system and all that. It happens time and time again.

And by then people would be on there 2nd ps4 because the first one died... and i can't imagine what kind of monstrosity of a gpu you can buy with $400 in 5 years.

Rampant speculation which, even if true, is misleading since replacing the console won't cost $400 in 5 years. Right now replacing a PS3 only costs $100 through Sony.

But we get it, the PC upgrades fairly easily; you throw money at it, tweak drivers, and you get better visuals. And with Steam sales and the public's general apathy towards PC games, software prices drop quickly and you can have an insanely large library of games you'll never play. That's cool. Most people care about that less than they do resolutiongate.

stevil

I think the Sony Fanboys are polarized by the X1 because they have no real AAA exclusive beside KZ coming to their platform at launch. They literally have no games to talk about

I thinks so to, but there will be games for the ps4, but no 1080p for the X1 ;)

curb

Banned

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Curufinwe

get a new case as well. A modern case for $50 or so will already be vastly superior to your old one in terms of air circulation and ease of installing shit.

Also, I'm gonna guess that you might need a bigger case as well with how much longer cards are vs your 460 (I had to do that recently lol)

Yeah, I guess I would need a new case as well.

I definitely want to get a new gaming PC, just not right now.

Damian.

Banned
PCs are being buried in the same grave. Tablets are taking over, they are the future of PCs, consoles, TVs, books.... In 10 years we will drive tablets to work.

The future is "personal computing devices". Not a hard concept to understand.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Makes you think whats gonna happen when the real nextgen games come and the future when even the PS4 has to do sub-1080p

Nethaniah

And by then people would be on there 2nd ps4 because the first one died... and i can't imagine what kind of monstrosity of a gpu you can buy with $400 in 5 years.

Rampant speculation which, even if true, is misleading since replacing the console won't cost $400 in 5 years. Right now replacing a PS3 only costs $100 through Sony.

But we get it, the PC upgrades fairly easily; you throw money at it, tweak drivers, and you get better visuals. And with Steam sales and the public's general apathy towards PC games, software prices drop quickly and you can have an insanely large library of games you'll never play. That's cool. Most people care about that less than they do resolutiongate.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, sure showed him.

Kimawolf

You have to define "real" pc gaming. R9 290 that you linked needs a 500w psu alone. If that is "real" pc gaming to you than barely anyone is gaming on a pc. With that card alone I need to upgrade my mobo and psu. And why would anyone go through all that if they're goal is simply 1080p on high with stable framerates? Barely exceeding console settings defeats the whole purpose.

Well the 290 is the top end of the original post's dollar figure of what GPU easily outclasses a PS4 and you could play at ultra settings with everything maxed with a 290 so it'd do more than just that. And yes i acknowledged some people would need to upgrade their PSU but again I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of people who game on their PCs have a powerful enough PSU to handle a good discrete card like a 280x which still easily beats down a PS4. but i'll take this discussion to another thread to not further derail this thread.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What does “strained” even mean relative to console graphics?

Has it ever occurred to you that most people buying a PS4 aren't fanboys? Just mull that idea over. Or you know, check some of our post histories. I bought about 20 retail multiplatform titles on my 360. until I traded one of my 360s in a couple of weeks ago, I had two. I bought 2 multiplatform titles on PS3 (Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat).

Maybe, just maybe, some of us are buying the PS4 because it's cheaper and its better at playing the multiplatform titles.

The Xbox One desperately needs AAA exclusives, because it isn't the console for people who care more about multiplatform titles than exclusives. I can't be the only person who buys more multiplatform titles than exclusives.

SJRB

Gold Member

This is amazing.

The next few weeks are going to be one big laugh riot.

Yeah, but that's because you're a Liar/Shill/Intentional AIDS spreader/Fuck your opinion/"Mainstream media" apologist asshole.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SHUT UP AND BE AS UNHAPPY AS I WANT YOU TO BE?!?!

Makes me sick I tell you...

I can't believe I missed this gem. The first meltdown of the thread?

900p I am guessing... if true

nothing lower, it can't be 720p

Dark10x is pegging it at 900p based on the footage released. I trust his judgement, and other people who have pixel counted that same footage have come to the same conclusion.

Edit: Oh, and, this is a game I'm actually thinking of picking up. So my fucks given here are higher than with BF4 and COD: Ghosts.

Has it ever occurred to you that most people buying a PS4 aren't fanboys? Just mull that idea over. Or you know, check some of our post histories. I bought about 20 retail multiplatform titles on my 360. until I traded one of my 360s in a couple of weeks ago, I had two. I bought 2 multiplatform titles on PS3 (Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat).

Maybe, just maybe, some of us are buying the PS4 because it's cheaper and its better at playing the multiplatform titles.

The Xbox One desperately needs AAA exclusives, because it isn't the console for people who care more about multiplatform titles than exclusives. I can't be the only person who buys more multiplatform titles than exclusives.

Nope but the gameplay is the same. so it doesn't really make a big difference at the end. I find it curious though why people are grabbing on for dear life with 1080p like kitten will die if a game doesn't meet that standard. Its not the freaking end of the world. Who said the standard was 1080p60fps for next gen ? I bet we will see many games in this generation that won't meet that standard and they will still be good games.

But we get it, the PC upgrades fairly easily; you throw money at it, tweak drivers, and you get better visuals. And with Steam sales and the public's general apathy towards PC games, software prices drop quickly and you can have an insanely large library of games you'll never play. That's cool. Most people care about that less than they do resolutiongate.

oh is that true for out of warranty ones? hmmm. Only got into ps3 train 2 years ago so never had one broke.

Always find it fascinating that gaffers would spend soo much sweat and blood arguing over meaningless resolution stuff yet could not spend 1/10 of the effort to figure out how to slap together a gaming rig, which is easier than LEGOs these days.

Top Bottom