• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Nov 11-17 | EVO Champions Not Guaranteed

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just realized Thunder reminds me of the main character in Brotherhood of the Wolf when he goes beserk Native Indian mode after his brother died.

Combo breakers prevent me from having any interest in the neutral game of KI.

The music in KI is fucking INCREDIBLE though. God. Damn. Still fucking amazing.

Counter Breaker is your friend. Do it while someone tries to combo break you, and you will punish that person badly lol.

yo glacius' reach and speed at which his attacks come out makes me think we're going to have a SF4 vanilla sagat situation

EDIT

Guys am i crazy or is Thunder's Torso bigger than his lower body?

Silky

Banned
Combo breakers prevent me from having any interest in the neutral game of KI.

The music in KI is fucking INCREDIBLE though. God. Damn. Still fucking amazing.

Counter breakers and shadow linkers. It's not just one singular combo breaker breaking everything. You have to match the right one (light breaker, medium breaker and heavy breaker). Hence the different colored lock-out icons.

The music is cool, but man, those combos are boring to watch after a while. I streamed it today to see how things were progressing, and it didn't take long for me to get bored. Part of it might be that everyone was picking the same few characters, though...not that they can do anything else. ;-)

Yeah casual play's p. boring to watch. that's w/ every fighter tho.

Killer Instinct always looks like that fake video game you see in a 90s movie, complete with craaaaaazy combos, an xtremeeeeeee announcer, a generic ninja, and a werewolf.

Sheroking

It drives me nuts when TV shows still talk like every video game has "levels" and "scores". You will have some kid playing Final Fantasy working on a high score, or, in that video, the patient is on "level 7" in Killer Instinct.

My favorite is when they just mash every button and shake the controller.

Flowchart Ken's

It drives me nuts when TV shows still talk like every video game has "levels" and "scores". You will have some kid playing Final Fantasy working on a high score, or, in that video, the patient is on "level 7" in Killer Instinct.

How do you get to level 7 with only 6 characters kappa

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Killer Instinct always looks like that fake video game you see in a 90s movie, complete with craaaaaazy combos, an xtremeeeeeee announcer, a generic ninja, and a werewolf.

It's funny this is being pointed out now as a joke. Since that's what it WAS when we all played it 18 years ago.

Some permutation of this needs to be next week's thread title.

FGW | Buy me Killer Instinct or go to hell

capturepxs4i.png

Actually very similar to bonestorm in a lot of ways. Huge marketing campaign, your friends telling you how awesome it is when you can't play it and then nobody playing it after the first couple of days of release.

casperOne

So why does NY consistently get snubbed when it comes to location tests?

Because of how packed everything is; space to get the proper number of people for a loctest comes at a premium.

Additionally, we have very good players here, but I've always felt that NYC and the East coast are a bit top heavy, whereas the average level of WC players is higher than the average East coast player (mind you, I have zero empirical evidence to support this, this is based solely on my observation).

Those things, and a generally unfavorable winter season compared to more stable temperatures, more accessible space and a generally better player base (which would ideally lead to better feedback) are why I think we don't get loctests often (if at all).

Who is on mic with Sp00ky? Never heard his voice before.

You mean Filthierich? Rich Bantegui, Community Strategist at Double Helix Games. Was the community manager at Namco for a while before working at Double Helix.

Tried Big Band for the first time today on the SG beta and he rocks. Dude's normals and specials put in that work. I can see myself playing him more than squigs despite her being la blue zombie. Big body characters and mobility are a match made in heaven.
These should be the KI commercials lol.

FGW | Buy me Killer Instinct or go to hell

capturepxs4i.png

Actually very similar to bonestorm in a lot of ways. Huge marketing campaign, your friends telling you how awesome it is when you can't play it and then nobody playing it after the first couple of days of release.

FGW | WELCOME THRILLHO

My favorite is when they just mash every button and shake the controller.

Flowchart Ken's
If they mash buttons and shake the controller, there is a 9/10 chance that someone will talk to them soon, the controller will be set down, and the game will go on playing... -_-

Oh my god. That whole thing makes me angry. >:-(

It's like chess games in movies. The pieces are always in random places, someone moves a pawn over in the corner, and says "checkmate" even though there isn't even a king. Alternatively, a bishop moves straight forward, a rook goes diagonally...GAH! How can these people be so dumb?

Clawww

If they mash buttons and shake the controller, there is a 9/10 chance that someone will talk to them soon, the controller will be set down, and the game will go on playing... -_-

It's like chess games in movies. The pieces are always in random places, someone moves a pawn over in the corner, and says "checkmate" even though there isn't even a king. Alternatively, a bishop moves straight forward, a rook goes diagonally...GAH! How can these people be so dumb?

Part of me think it's a running joke at this point. If I were penning such a scene, I'd make it stupid as hell, too. The non-sense Chess sounds hilarious.

Maybe they're playing with Sirlin's Chess 2 rules.

Some really interesting tech found by MrHoppus44. He is doing an ultra OS with crouch fierce and it activates when a move is whiffed closed to cody. It seems to be activated by the proximity blocking.

It might be just a training mode dummy glitch. More testing is required.

Some tweets from James Chen about it:

It's like if you press the buttons for the Ultra right before your move ends, nothing happens UNLESS the enemy whiffs an attack near you.

But it ONLY works if the move you do WHIFFS on the opponent. If it reaches, it'll still hit. I have no clue what's going on here!!!

It only works if your character reaches an Active Frame, is seems, that whiffs. Then proximity blocking cancels the end of the move...

And the Ultra cancels the proximity blocking? I've confirmed this works with ANY Special, not just Ultras, with Cammy (I did EX DP).

Tried checking SRK's forum for more info on that ultra OS and there's absolutely nothing about it. I remember when SRK had all the new SF4 info. :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You mean Filthierich? Rich Bantegui, Community Strategist at Double Helix Games. Was the community manager at Namco for a while before working at Double Helix.

It's not Rich. I know who Rich is. Somebody who was commentating with Sp00ky while Rich was playing.

USD

A bit late, but Round 9:

3rd TOPANGA LEAGUE (A) ROUND 9

Dashio (Seth) vs. Fuudo (Fei Long)
3-7 ☆ ●●●●●○●○●
Bonchan (Sagat) vs. sako (Ibuki)
7-5 ☆ ○●○●●●○○●○○
Uryo (Sakura) vs. Dashio (Seth)
7-5 ☆ ●○○●●○●●○○○
sako (Evil Ryu) vs. Fuudo (Fei Long)
5-7 ☆ ●○●○●●○●●○●
Kazunoko (Seth) vs. Bonchan (Sagat)
7-3 ☆ ●○○○●●○○○

Kazunoko and Bonchan advance to the finals league. sako drops to B League. Fuudo and Dashio must play in the A-B League switch matches after next season's B League.

Got it to work with Cammy but the timing is very tricky. You have to do the Ultra during the recovery of the whiffed normal. Normal OS would be c.HP, qcfx2 HP but this OS you have to hit HP, wait till her arm retracts then qcfx2 HP. Too fast and nothing happens, too slow and ultra comes out after c.HP. My guess it's probably 1 to 3 frames before the recovery ends.

The opponent also have to press a button at a specific time to get the ultra to come out. I tried mashing c.lk during the OS didn't trigger the ultra. Was not in range to trigger block.

edit: you might have to be holding block during the recovery for it to work too

Top Bottom