• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

Segata Sanshiro said:
DMC3 cast Raise on the franchise. Nobody would be caring about DMC4 if DMC3 had been as bad as DMC2, I can tell you that much. :)

Are you absolutely sure about that? Most trends I see for games nowadays are showing that diminishing returns are constant; people who leave the franchise due to a bad installment won't necessarily return due to an upturn in quality. We have to ask ourselves who is anticipating DMC4; people who have left and are coming back, or people who would have stayed regardless? My money's on the latter.

Deku said:
If you're a third party right now and want an expected return on your investment that is not negative, you want to put your game on the DS or PS2.

It looks like i'm 0 for 2 today.

But for the sake of argument, what do you think will happen to the titles that have been successful on PS2? (For example..Power Pros). There is very obviously going to be a migration to another platform.

If you were a developer, which system would you choose? Would you attempt to take the title portable, or try your fortunes with another console? I ask this because it seems that devs are either trying their hand at porting yearly franchises to Wii, or in Winning Eleven's case, to the PS3.

ziran

JoshuaJSlone said:
I wonder. SMG has quite a range. There are 2D play areas that feel very familiar and oldschool, but getting used to spherical planets and controlling Mario while upside down was even a bit intimidating for a 3D Mario veteran like me. Almost as much as playing SM64 was at first.
Personally, I don't think SMG will be appealing to the casual Wii market even with these new ads, it's just too off putting or them, especially the whole spherical mechanic. However, with the attention the game has been getting amongst the hardcore and gaming media these ads will serve as a nice reminder that there is a great new 3D Mario out there, for the hardcore. Combine this with the natural seasonal increase and the game would see a good increase.

Hopefully this will turn into solid legs as we move to next year.

Afaik PS1 was not popular in the begining. Didnt it only sell 1 million consoles the first year world wide or something? Wii is mega popular, probly the most popular console ever (atleast within the 1st year).
My point is, the determining factor for big success on Wii is going to be from decisions by 3rd parties to actually develop their biggest properties with their best teams exclusively for Wii and then in turn use their best teams to create new games for the system.

While they're content with ports, spin offs and new IPs in saturated genres they run the risk of tanking. AFAIK the first big 3rd party game is going to be MH3, and I expect many developers have now shifted/shifting major resources over to Wii (as the report from the international game developers association Japan said in May of this year). So, more announcements should be seen next year.

However, I don't think we're going to see these games until late 2008 and 2009 onwards and I believe this was always Nintendo's intention, to cover the system with games for the first couple of years until 3rd parties caught up.

Deku said:
If you're a third party right now and want an expected return on your investment that is not negative, you want to put your game on the DS or PS2.
But will 3rd parties be thinking that?

I think it's more likely they'll be trying to predict where the market is going to be in one, two years time, which looks like DS and Wii majority worldwide and 360 for more western orientated hardcore gaming. The thinking you're describing seems to be from 12 to 18 months ago.

(Edit - if you meant now as in releasing now, I agree)

Jirotrom

DeaconKnowledge said:
The thing that surprises me is that people are surprised at a Wii dominated top 10. Methinks you guys are listening to Ethelred a bit too much.

Also, I would argue that considering the size of the userbase, GT5P did exceptionally well.
Ethel is just pissed that there are no big RPGs on the system yet:p

We love you Ethel:D

Jirotrom

Deku said:
don't you need to sell around 100,000 copies on Wii to make a profit, and 500,000 to a million on the 360 and ps3? Not saying anything is wrong with the ps2 and DS as I play those almost daily now.

Deku

Banned
Jirotrom said:
don't you need to sell around 100,000 copies on Wii to make a profit, and 500,000 to a million on the 360 and ps3? Not saying anything is wrong with the ps2 and DS as I play those almost daily now.

Given 3rd party performance on the Wii, it's hit and miss.

I was commenting on the 'safety' of turning a good ROI and DS/PS2 are undoubtedly the safe platforms right now.

It was also a sublte jab at the posters spazzing out at the DS and calling doom and gloom because one franchise, which has been decreasing in popularity and had a terrible premiere entry on the DS, underperformed.

Eteric Rice

I have a theory that a lot of Wii gamers are older, but not hardcore gamers. When IGN showed the LTD for some of the third party Wii games, I was surprised to see that some of them did rather well while most of us thought they bombed. SSX is a good example of this.

I think that while a lot of the Wii userbase is older, they're not hardcore, hence not many games being front loaded. I think these are the kind of poeple that walk into a store and buy something if they find it interesting. They don't read reviews, don't know release dates, etc. This is why I think the numbers on third party games are so slow to rise.

Another thing I noticed is that its usually more mature games that do well on the Wii. RE4, RE:UC, Ghost Squad, and probably a few others. I think this is because the Wii fanbase is older, but again, not the kind of people that read gaming websites.

As for Nintendo game sales, I think most of those are from the Nintendo fans that follow Nintendo.

I'll have to elaborate later on. My lack of sleep is hindering what I'm trying to say. :|

Pureauthor said:
Refresh my memory, someone - was there ever a period in which the DS was receiving 3rd party franchises and having them tank like crazy?

Nope. There was pretty much the period where the DS was getting carryover GBA franchises (which performed, er, okay) and then the period of ZOMG.

Deku said:

I was commenting on the 'safety' of turning a good ROI and DS/PS2 are undoubtedly the safe platforms right now.

It was also a sublte jab at the posters spazzing out at the DS and calling doom and gloom because one franchise, which has been decreasing in popularity and had a terrible premiere entry on the DS, underperformed.

Are they? Continuing a series already on the PS2 looks to be profitable, but starting new IP on it? How forward thinking would that be? These games have to go somewhere and the PS2 can't house them forever.

Titles bomb. Yes initially it's looking like titles are doing exceptionally poorly on the Wii right now, but it's not like the grass is greener on the PS3 (or even PS2, considering the diminishing returns YoY). We can't look at a handful of bombs and say "put everything on the DS boys!" If devs had this line of thinking PSP development outside of a few titles would have dried up months ago.

Deku

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
It looks like i'm 0 for 2 today.

But for the sake of argument, what do you think will happen to the titles that have been successful on PS2? (For example..Power Pros). There is very obviously going to be a migration to another platform.

If you were a developer, which system would you choose? Would you attempt to take the title portable, or try your fortunes with another console? I ask this because it seems that devs are either trying their hand at porting yearly franchises to Wii, or in Winning Eleven's case, to the PS3.

So far, the argument has been mistakenly blamed as casuals not buying any games, when as I've pointed out there's an endemic apathy and wholesale exit of gamers in general which led to the decline in the Japanese industry in the first place (Mingol portable 2's performance on a resugent PSP should be a wake up call).

The Wii has the potential to have a more stable ecosystem for 3rd parties in six months, especially if it does well this christmas and increase its base across the board. As for 3rd party decisions, Winnings Eleven is really not a good bellweather, it's on every system.

I think a lot of franchises will migrate to portables and only reluctantly to consoles. You'll also see more spinoffs and semi-sequels to spread the costs and risks.

Anyone know how third parties were doing on the DS at this point of it's life compared to the Wii? The Wii is extraordinarily mirroring the DS in more ways than one. It would be interesting to see the parallels.

test_account said:
Afaik PS1 was not popular in the begining. Didnt it only sell 1 million consoles the first year world wide or something? Wii is mega popular, probly the most popular console ever (atleast within the 1st year).
Both things you say here are pretty much right, but PS1 was also only available in Japan for its first 9 months, so "the first year world wide" isn't saying much extra.
Pureauthor said:
Refresh my memory, someone - was there ever a period in which the DS was receiving 3rd party franchises and having them tank like crazy?
Well, here are Famitsu DS software sales through 55 weeks. Third party sales are no more impressive than Wii's, but I'm not sure where you'd draw the line on what's a significant franchise.
Deku said:
For PS2, I think it depends on what the game is. Sequels to previous PS2 games are still doing very well, but there hasn't been much in the way of major original games on PS2 in the last year. It's hard to say how similar all-new games would do on PS2 versus Wii.

ziran

Eteric Rice said:
I have a theory that a lot of Wii gamers are older, but not hardcore gamers. When IGN showed the LTD for some of the third party Wii games, I was surprised to see that some of them did rather well while most of us thought they bombed. SSX is a good example of this.

I think that while a lot of the Wii userbase is older, they're not hardcore, hence not many games being front loaded. I think these are the kind of poeple that walk into a store and buy something if they find it interesting. They don't read reviews, don't know release dates, etc. This is why I think the numbers on third party games are so slow to rise.

Another thing I noticed is that its usually more mature games that do well on the Wii. RE4, RE:UC, Ghost Squad, and probably a few others. I think this is because the Wii fanbase is older, but again, not the kind of people that read gaming websites.

As for Nintendo game sales, I think most of those are from the Nintendo fans that follow Nintendo.

I'll have to elaborate later on. My lack of sleep is hindering what I'm trying to say. :|
Yeah, I was surprised by the successes for Wii in NA. The system's dev costs are going to be a real asset going forward.

iidesuyo

BishopLamont said:
1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 319,708
2.) Nintendo Wii - 108,237
3.) PlayStation 3 - 70,942
4.) PlayStation Portable - 48,962
5.) PlayStation 2 - 37,730
6.) Xbox 360 - 17,168
7.) Game Boy Advance SP - 1,867
8.) Game Boy micro - 1,491
9.) GameCube - 1,152
10.) Nintendo DS - 158
11.) Game Boy Advance - 42
12.) Xbox - 3

Nintendo probably will beat total hardware sales this year, but I don't think DS will set a new weekly record. There's no shortage and so far it's been tracking less then last year these past few weeks.

Thanks for the numbers. I didn't remember the PSP numbers were that low. I think that DS numbers will go down continuously from now on, because with 20m units a saturation point could be reached. 20m, that's already one DS for every sixth Japanese citizen...

Jokeropia

iidesuyo said:
Thanks for the numbers. I didn't remember the PSP numbers were that low. I think that DS numbers will go down continuously from now on, because with 20m units a saturation point could be reached. 20m, that's already one DS for every sixth Japanese citizen...
Even if 2006 was the peak year for total sales, it could easily make it to 30 million eventually as long as it follows a normal slowdown curve. (Which there is nothing suggesting that it won't.)

Cheesemeister said:
01. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 180,000 / 826,000
02. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 124,000 / 535,000
03. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Sony) - 116,000 / NEW
04. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5) - 74,000 / 444,000
05. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 74,000 / 550,000
06. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix) - 73,000 / 868,000
07. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 64,000 / 212,000
08. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 55,000 / 2,341,000
09. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 55,000 / 1,921,000
10. [WII] Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon: the Labyrinth of Forgotten Time (Square-Enix) - 41,000 / NEW

Damn!

This has to be the biggest Japan Nintendomination of all-time.

Spike said:
WTF?!?! How can the PSP be selling so much, yet have only one title in the top 30?

pirate.jpg

No6

Eteric Rice said:
You're assuming the retail price of games (like SSX) and the amount the publisher gets per copy remain constant, when the reality is that they don't. Publishers get more money per copy for the initial run of a game. Discount bin sales don't help publishers (or retailers) much, which is where a good chunk of SSX's sales came from. SSX bombed, and declaring more than a couple of those games on the IGN LTD list as doing "rather well" basically reduces the word "well" to "not selling negative copies".

The problem is that this mostly benefits 3rd party shovelware. Hell, it practically defines the shovelware audience (remember how well those PC hunting games used to sell and how many of them there were?).

Jirotrom

Deku said:

you are correct, safest place is DS/PS2.

Jirotrom

Eteric Rice said:

I agree with this due to the used section for wii at gamestops, not very large. The majority of wii gamers buy a game and don't trade it in because there isn't a rush to get a new game or to save cash using trade in value.

Eteric Rice

No6 said:
You're assuming the retail price of games (like SSX) and the amount the publisher gets per copy remain constant, when the reality is that they don't. Publishers get more money per copy for the initial run of a game. Discount bin sales don't help publishers (or retailers) much, which is where a good chunk of SSX's sales came from. SSX bombed, and declaring more than a couple of those games on the IGN LTD list as doing "rather well" basically reduces the word "well" to "not selling negative copies".

The problem is that this mostly benefits 3rd party shovelware. Hell, it practically defines the shovelware audience (remember how well those PC hunting games used to sell and how many of them there were?).

We don't really know when most of it's units were sold, or when the price dropped.

And 300k isn't bad by any means, really. Blur wasn't going to be a million seller. If anyone expected it to be, they were insane.

Jirotrom said:
I agree with this due to the used section for wii at gamestops, not very large. The majority of wii gamers buy a game and don't trade it in because there isn't a rush to get a new game or to save cash using trade in value.

I never really looked, but I suppose it's possible.

One other problem I think the Wii has is an overabundance of shovelware compared to the size of the player base. It's a lot harder to find a good game on the Wii than it is to find one on the PS3 or 360, mainly because third parties really can't afford to put out shovelware on the 360 or PS3.

This wouldn't be an issue if we have a huge abundance of good games coming to the Wii. But while we do have a good flow going now, compared to the shovelware it's nothing.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that good titles have to compete with shitty ones. And with a playerbase who doesn't read reviews or anything to know the difference, the shitty software has a good chance of selling instead of the good software.

This is a problem. :|

Deku

Banned
A curiosity: What's the sales-age consensus on Galaxy. Did the legs come after launch or was it there all along?

Deku said:
A curiosity: What's the sales-age consensus on Galaxy. Did the legs come after launch or was it there all along?
don't think so

two months into 2008 with sales like this would be legs to me
right now not sure...next week's charts could say a lot though

Deku said:

I`m thinking legs after launch. I don`t buy the holiday season propping up demand to this degree and Galaxy dropped quite a ways before coming back. Those awareness commercials are working.

To me the Wii in Japan looks like things are destined to get worse before they get better.

donny2112

Deku said:

Legs always come after launch. :/

If you're asking if it was a foregone conclusion that Galaxy was going to do as well as it has after the first week, the answer, for me, is "no." Word of mouth and Nintendo's renewed marketing efforts have saved Galaxy from a fate worse than death Sunshine.

31./46. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
32./34. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
33./45. [NDS] Dinosaur King: The Seven Fragments (Sega)
34./25. [NDS] MySims (EA)
35./00. [NDS] Big Pitch: I Think I Can Become an Ace (Marvelous Entertainment)
36./43. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
37./42. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
38./37. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
39./50. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
40./48. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Music Channel (Capcom)
41./32. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (Konami)
42./40. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
43./26. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
44./41. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Dinosaur (Capcom)
45./17. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaiki da (Sony)
46./49. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
47./44. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Shinobi (Capcom)
48./00. [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (Taito)
49./00. [NDS] Yes! Precure 5 (Bandai-Namco)
50./07. [360] Lost Odyssey (Microsoft)

NDS - 28
WII - 10
PS2 - 4
PSP - 3
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   222,144 |   168,267 | 6,668,915 | 20,674,594
2. PSP   -   184,610 |    91,481 | 2,736,291 |  7,268,420
3. WII   -   170,558 |   115,057 | 3,311,401 |  4,231,044
4. PS3   -    63,720 |    38,123 | 1,073,245 |  1,530,803
5. PS2   -    18,025 |    11,987 |   726,218 | 20,881,077
6. 360   -     8,561 |     8,876 |   226,427 |    491,129
7. GBA   -       140 |       114 |    50,534 | 15,348,613
8. NGC   -        32 |        46 |    10,495 |  4,179,963
GBA = 9 GBA + 103 SP + 28 Micro
NDS = 12 DS + 222,132 Lite

s_20071210.png

Loudninja

Cheesemeister said:
31./46. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
32./34. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
33./45. [NDS] Dinosaur King: The Seven Fragments (Sega)
34./25. [NDS] MySims (EA)
35./00. [NDS] Big Pitch: I Think I Can Become an Ace (Marvelous Entertainment)
36./43. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
37./42. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
38./37. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
39./50. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
40./48. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Music Channel (Capcom)
41./32. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (Konami)
42./40. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
43./26. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
44./41. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Dinosaur (Capcom)
45./17. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaiki da (Sony)
46./49. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
47./44. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Shinobi (Capcom)
48./00. [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (Taito)
49./00. [NDS] Yes! Precure 5 (Bandai-Namco)
50./07. [360] Lost Odyssey (Microsoft)

NDS - 28
WII - 10
PS2 - 4
PSP - 3
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   222,144 |   168,267 | 6,668,915 | 20,674,594
2. PSP   -   184,610 |    91,481 | 2,736,291 |  7,268,420
3. WII   -   170,558 |   115,057 | 3,311,401 |  4,231,044
4. PS3   -    63,720 |    38,123 | 1,073,245 |  1,530,803
5. PS2   -    18,025 |    11,987 |   726,218 | 20,881,077
6. 360   -     8,561 |     8,876 |   226,427 |    491,129
7. GBA   -       140 |       114 |    50,534 | 15,348,613
8. NGC   -        32 |        46 |    10,495 |  4,179,963
GBA = 9 GBA + 103 SP + 28 Micro
NDS = 12 DS + 222,132 Lite

s_20071210.png

Holy shit at the Wii ,DS and the PSP :0

donny2112

Famitsu Dec 3-9

1. WII Wii Fit 153219 / 407228
2. NDS Tales of Innocence 106733 / NEW
3. NDS Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box 100898 / 408669
4. PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 85866 / NEW
5. NDS Mario Party DS 81460 / 602465
6. 360 Lost Odyssey 60376 / NEW
7. PS2 SD Gundam G Generation Spirits 52077 / 283165
8. WII Super Mario Galaxy 48750 / 500595
9. NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 47207 / NEW
10. PS2 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 44440 / 439069
11. NDS Dragon Quest IV 42498 / 776136
12. WII Wii Sports 41174 / 2193547
13. WII Wii Play 40105 / 1747237
14. WII Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 39249 / 148721
15. PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes 31885 / 125398
16. NDS Gintama Gin-Oh Quest: Gin-san ga Tenshoku shitari Sekai wo Sukuttari 31007 / NEW
17. PSP Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida 28558 / NEW
18. NDS Mega Man Star Force 2: Beserk x Shinobi/Dinosaur 20914 / 133304
19. PSP Silent Hill Origins 19784 / NEW
20. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 19603 / 1095989
21. NDS Nep League DS 18204 / NEW
22. PS2 Yakuza 2 (BEST) 17659 / NEW
23. PS3 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 17130 / 192825
24. PS3 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 16914 / NEW
25. NDS Mario Kart DS 15676 / 2581404
26. PSP Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 15300 / NEW
27. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 14449 / 710035
28. NDS My Sims 14370 / NEW
29. WII Mario Party 8 13914 / 918449
30. WII Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles 13735 / 160660

*. 360 Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena 13000 / NEW
*. PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 13000 / NEW
*. WII No More Heroes 13000 / NEW
*. NDS Haneru no Tobira DS: Tanshuku Tetsudou no Yoru 10000 / NEW
*. PS2 Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force Evolution 7300 / NEW
*. PS2 Shoukan Shoujo: Elemental Girl Calling 6300 / NEW
*. WII Haneru no Tobira Wii: Girigirissu 6100 / NEW
*. PSP Chronicle of Dungeon Maker 2 3100 / NEW
*. WII Doraemon Wii: Himitsu Douguou Ketteisen! 3000 / NEW
*. PS2 Yakuza (BEST Reprint) 1800 / NEW
*. WII Namco Museum Remix 1700 / NEW
*. PS3 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End 1500 / NEW
*. WII Tamagotchi no Furifuri Kagekidan 1500 / NEW
*. 360 Momotarou Dentetsu 16 Gold 1400 / NEW
*. PS3 Conan 1400 / NEW
*. 360 Conan 740 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Nov 5-11, 2007
Nov 12-18, 2007
Nov 19-25, 2007
Nov 26-Dec 2, 2007

Dear god, I just noticed something:

PSP only 40k behind the DS. :O :O :O

Good christ, to think the DS sold like 8 times the amount of the PSP last year, and now they're neck and neck.

HANDHELD DOMINATION TOTAL

mj1108

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 222,144 | 168,267 | 6,668,915 | 20,674,594
2. PSP - 184,610 | 91,481 | 2,736,291 | 7,268,420
3. WII - 170,558 | 115,057 | 3,311,401 | 4,231,044
4. PS3 - 63,720 | 38,123 | 1,073,245 | 1,530,803
5. PS2 - 18,025 | 11,987 | 726,218 | 20,881,077
6. 360 - 8,561 | 8,876 | 226,427 | 491,129
7. GBA - 140 | 114 | 50,534 | 15,348,613
8. NGC - 32 | 46 | 10,495 | 4,179,963

Wow @ Wii.

Souldriver said:
Dear god, I just noticed something:

PSP only 40k behind the DS. :O :O :O

Good christ, to think the DS sold like 8 times the amount of the PSP last year, and now they're neck and neck.

HANDHELD DOMINATION TOTAL

PSPbump only due to Red PSP bump.

Top Bottom