• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

donny2112

schuelma said:
So we won't get MC or Famitsu numbers next week correct?

Well, I expect to not see an official Famitsu chart for the week of Dec 17-23 (just a combined Dec 17-30), but we got leaked data. It's possible we might get leaked data for the week of Dec 24-30, as well.

As suggested last week, I changed how the charts are copied to make them longer and (hopefully) more readable/less cluttered. Please, let me know if you like them this way or would rather the more squished version.

JPNConsoles-19.png

JPNHandhelds-21.png

If past years' trends follow, this week is the highest hardware totals for the year and next week should be down some.

A Link to the Snitch said:
MPDS really shows how popular Nintendo games can become when on the DS.

Really, HAL has to make an SSBDS. It's not even like Sakurai would have to direct it (although he'd obviously have to supervise and develop parts of it). Take the original SSB engine, all 12 originals, add some from Melee and Brawl, new levels, returning/new items, Assist Trophies, Final Smashes, and some handheld-oriented characters.

true i'd love to see a ds version as well.. it could be awesome.. However we've been saying that nintendo should make a full blown pokemon rpg on a console and they've yet to do tht as well.. 2 versions of a console pokemon would sell in the millions as well.

i know smash brothers for ds would be easier to do more than likely with a much smaller budget vs a console game..

but still nintendo needs to get on this shit.

however i do like the fact of getting 1 kickass version of smash brothers every 4-5 years or so.. vs say 1 every year or 2 years.

Zelda a series i love and final fantasy a series i loved.. kinda lost it's appeal after the same thing being released year after year with minor changes.

kbear

Busaiku said:
20,954,157 for the DS; 20,901,468 for the PS2. Unless my addition is off...:lol
The DS is a handheld, though. I'm just saying... it's a little odd to compare them as they're different markets, portable and home console. Didn't the original GameBoy sell like a zillion units?

Busaiku

Using the Famitsu data (thanks donny2112), it seems ToI's drop may not have been that big from the previous week.

According to sinobi, TC4 is at 20k, and MC has ToI above it, so, that'd mean it dropped about 7k at most. Though, this is assuming Famitsu has it above TC4 as well.

That's not saying it's much of a success, but it may pull out something decent. Though, it probably had gone through a couple of price collapses right (can anyone clarify, it hadn't dropped on AmazonJP)?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
Well, I expect to not see an official Famitsu chart for the week of Dec 17-23 (just a combined Dec 17-30), but we got leaked data. It's possible we might get leaked data for the week of Dec 24-30, as well.

Cool, thanks

Jirotrom

ok... im going to be blunt, Sony's numbers are just bad... also they need to figure out how to solve the piracy problem for the hardware that does sell.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
itxaka said:
Probably I´m asking too much but I found the DS mindblowing and I´m empty on what could it do next year.

If you mean hardware-sales-wise, a console's fourth year is generally smaller than its third year but I also can't think of a product that went into year four without a substantial price drop. Also, since it's a handheld, there's the individual versus household difference in terms of who it's selling to. Plus, with new colors and models, it's possible to drive sales (I personally own 2 DS Lites and 1 DS Phat)

In terms of software, there's still a ton of ground to cover. Let me quote A Link to the Past/Snitch:

A Link to the Snitch said:
Really, HAL has to make an SSBDS. It's not even like Sakurai would have to direct it (although he'd obviously have to supervise and develop parts of it). Take the original SSB engine, all 12 originals, add some from Melee and Brawl, new levels, returning/new items, Assist Trophies, Final Smashes, and some handheld-oriented characters.

I wouldn't say "has to", but it's certainly a major Nintendo franchise that has never gone handheld and could technically for the first time with the DS.

There's also F-Zero, which had 3 GBA installments and has not yet had a DS installment. Pikmin is a frequently rumored/speculated on piece of software. Fire Emblem DS is already confirmed. Kirby is good for another outing, which will be Superstar Remake. 3rd Pokemon game of the DP Cycle. Obviously Kid Icarus is the perennial candidate for a revival. 2d Metroid. Another 3d Metroid. Another Wario platformer (this time, not shitty?). If they can think of a gimmick, another WarioWare with some sort of peripheral. Stafy could use another installment. Golden Sun is a frequently rumored candidate for a revival. More Mario sports games; Mario Party DS has a soccer minigame that isn't too bad. Tennis and Golf are probably more obvious candidates. A first-party snowboarding game (SBK is the only snowboarding title for the DS, and it was 1st gen DS title).

That's just old franchises that still have breathing room. If you count third party stuff or potential new IP, I think the 2008 could be very rich software-wise. We know that Nintendo withdrew a tad from 2006 to 2007 to allow third parties to fill out the DS library. Whether they will continue to tone down releases in 2008 or pump it back up, who knows.

Link

The Autumn Wind
kbear said:
The DS is a handheld, though. I'm just saying... it's a little odd to compare them as they're different markets, portable and home console. Didn't the original GameBoy sell like a zillion units?
Still insane when you consider it did it in less than half the time.

Talamius

Jirotrom said:
ok... im going to be blunt, Sony's numbers are just bad... also they need to figure out how to solve the piracy problem for the hardware that does sell.

That cat is pretty much out of the bag with Pandora. No stopping it now.

barchartweekly.php

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 61.9 / 38.1, bringing total sh ares to 73.8 / 26.2. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate it would catch up in 78.7 weeks (June 26, 2009).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 20.0 / 80.0, Wii's strongest week versus PS3 since July. This brings total shares to 26.3 / 73.7.

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 48.7 weeks (November 28, 2008).

DS vs PS2: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in -0.2 weeks (December 21, 2007) at ~20.9 million units. But I think you've noticed.

At week 51, total hardware sales for the year passed 15 million. It should pass 16 million in the remaining week easily.

Scum said:
I want to meet the 4 people who bought GBAs.
The DS Lite plays GBAs games, people! ¬_¬
They're playing Super Mario Land 2.

Satter said:
Someone before said that Famitsu and MC numbers eventually washout. I'd sure like to know when this'll happen because I believe this trend has been going on for a little while now.
This IS evening out. At least for Wii, after week 56 MC and Famitsu are closer than they've been since April. Other than that single week in April when their Wii totals were within 2K, this is the closest week.

The PS3 difference is stil pretty noticeable, but at ~35K the difference is smaller than it was in the previous 5 weeks.
Stumpokapow said:
If you mean hardware-sales-wise, a console's fourth year is generally smaller than its third year but I also can't think of a product that went into year four without a substantial price drop. Also, since it's a handheld, there's the individual versus household difference in terms of who it's selling to. Plus, with new colors and models, it's possible to drive sales (I personally own 2 DS Lites and 1 DS Phat)
And even aside from historical comparisons, the latter part of 2007 for DS was weaker than the early part. Unless (until?) something kicks it up like a price drop, new model, or unexpectedly hot game, we shouldn't expect to see many more 100+K weeks outside of holidays.

test_account

XP-39C²
Link said:
Still insane when you consider it did it in less than half the time.

When it comes to consoles its usually 1 unit pr. household, but with handhelds it usually 1 unit pr. person. I have no idea what the average person pr. household is in Japan, but if its 2, it means that 40 million got a PS2. Of course, this comparision is exactly 100% "correct" or what i shall say, but i guess you know what i mean.

But nevertheless, the DS sale is insane indeed :)

Stumpokapow said:
I don't know the breakdown of GB versus GBC in the 31 million number that's kicked around for the two together. It's possible it's not, and it's possible it is. I think it's safe to say that six months from now, it is guaranteed that the DS will be the top selling system in Japan ever.
I can't get exact, but I can provide these yearly shipment numbers for GB+GBC in Japan from their Japanese investor relations site.

Through 1997-03-31: 15.01m
Through 1998-03-31: 19.23m
Game Boy Color launches here
Through 1999-03-31: 23.96m

GBC probably dominated old GB in shipments once it launched (sales sure did), so 20-23 million is probably a safe (but still large) range as to where the original Game Boy ended up.

donny2112

Cheesemeister,

Assuming we get leaked Famitsu data for the week of Dec 24-30 and the Media-Create data is delayed, can you do an official thread with the Famitsu data next Wednesday? "Famitsu Sales 12/24 - 12/30" We would still have the Media-Create thread for that period on the following Tuesday/Wednesday when the data is posted, though.

Edit:
Or we could just call it "Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/30" and add the Media-Create data when it comes out.

Link

The Autumn Wind
test_account said:
When it comes to consoles its usually 1 unit pr. household, but with handhelds it usually 1 unit pr. person. I have no idea what the average person pr. household is in Japan, but if its 2, it means that 40 million got a PS2. Of course, this comparision is exactly 100% "correct" or what i shall say, but i guess you know what i mean.

Yeah, I get what you mean in that most houses won't have more than one of each console, but can have 2+ handhelds. It's still impressive when you think about it, though. The DS did in 3 years what took the PS2 - the best-selling console of all time - almost 8 years.

Deku

Banned
test_account said:

So that means PSP still hasn't beat GC's LTD? :)

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Cheesemeister,

Assuming we get leaked Famitsu data for the week of Dec 24-30 and the Media-Create data is delayed, can you do an official thread with the Famitsu data next Wednesday? "Famitsu Sales 12/24 - 12/30" We would still have the Media-Create thread for that period on the following Tuesday/Wednesday when the data is posted, though.

Edit:
Or we could just call it "Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/30" and add the Media-Create data when it comes out.

I vote for what you edited in. One week of change won't hurt, especially when sales are this huge. :p

Jirotrom said:

That ship has long sailed. I would say prohibiting piracy at this point would do more to hurt the hardware sales then spur software sales.

Jokeropia

DS will have completely demolished the PS2 by the time it's done selling. I really doubt the amount of multiple DS households/multiple gamers in PS2 households are enough to make up for that difference.

test_account

XP-39C²
Link said:
Yeah, I get what you mean in that most houses won't have more than one of each console, but can have 2+ handhelds. It's still impressive when you think about it, though. The DS did in 3 years what took the PS2 - the best-selling console of all time - almost 8 years.

Indeed, its no doubt an amazing achievemt. Its been sold about 13 DS systems every single minute since launch. Thats pretty crazy :)

Deku said:
So that means PSP still hasn't beat GC's LTD? :)

Of course it has, just like DS have beaten PS2's LTD now. You cant argue with the sale numbers. LTD is based on total sold units, it doesnt have anything to do with with console owners pr. household as i mentioned, thats a different thing from the LTD. There is however a chance that there are more people who have "access" to a GC than there are people who have "access" to a PSP based on people pr. household if you know what i mean.

There is a bigger chance to have a higher LTD with handhelds than with consoles, due to there usually is only 1 console pr. household while with handhelds there can be several of units pr. household, that was my point. This doesnt change the fact that the DS is selling like crazy of course. The DS is still an amazing achievment by Nintendo :)

justchris

test_account said:
Of course it has, just like DS have beaten PS2's LTD now. You cant argue with the sale numbers. LTD is based on total sold units, it doesnt have anything to do with with console owners pr. household as i mentioned, thats a different thing from the LTD. There is however a chance that there are more people who have "access" to a GC than there are people who have "access" to a PSP based on people pr. household if you know what i mean.

There is a bigger chance to have a higher LTD with handhelds than with consoles, due to there usually is only 1 console pr. household while with handhelds there can be several of units pr. household, that was my point. This doesnt change the fact that the DS is selling like crazy of course. The DS is still an amazing achievment by Nintendo :)

Not to invalidate you point, because it is a good point, but for the original Gameboy, my brother and I had to share. There were the same number of GBs in our household as there were NESes. It is possible to share a handheld, so it'd be a very difficult comparison/calculation to make as to how many people have access.

Hell, I lend out my DS Phat fairly regularly to friends who are deciding if they want to purchase one or not. 6 times out of 7 it's ended up in the purchase of a DS Lite, but that's one extra person who has/had access to a DS who doesn't own one. On that note, people borrow (and rent) consoles on a regular basis. I don't think there's any possible way to make this calculation at all.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JoshuaJSlone said:
I can't get exact, but I can provide these yearly shipment numbers for GB+GBC in Japan from their Japanese investor relations site.

Through 1997-03-31: 15.01m
Through 1998-03-31: 19.23m
Game Boy Color launches here
Through 1999-03-31: 23.96m

GBC probably dominated old GB in shipments once it launched (sales sure did), so 20-23 million is probably a safe (but still large) range as to where the original Game Boy ended up.
Yeah, ioi and I worked out a rough estimate a long time ago of 21.64 million in Japan. A million higher or lower doesn't make a big difference though.

itxaka said:
awesome. Wich console is the all time winner LTD in japan? nes/snes? How many units?
The GB/GBC situation has already been addressed so I'll move on to your question. The Japanese shipment data for those are as follows.

NES 19.2
SNES 17.15

EDIT: I just realized I didn't actually answer the question, PS2 is still the all time console champ.

Link

The Autumn Wind
justchris said:
Not to invalidate you point, because it is a good point, but for the original Gameboy, my brother and I had to share. There were the same number of GBs in our household as there were NESes. It is possible to share a handheld, so it'd be a very difficult comparison/calculation to make as to how many people have access.

Hell, I lend out my DS Phat fairly regularly to friends who are deciding if they want to purchase one or not. 6 times out of 7 it's ended up in the purchase of a DS Lite, but that's one extra person who has/had access to a DS who doesn't own one. On that note, people borrow (and rent) consoles on a regular basis. I don't think there's any possible way to make this calculation at all.
He already said there's no real way to determine the numbers, but his point is valid. A household is much more likely to have multiple units of a handheld over multiple units of a console. Doesn't really take a scientific study to realize that.

donny2112 said:
Cheesemeister,

Edit:

Hmm, not sure. The New Year's holiday in Japan goes from 1/1 to 1/3, smack dab in the middle of the week for 2008. Media Create may post hardware and the top 50 as normal on Friday morning in Japan, Thursday night here.

Mods?

jgwhiteus

OK, I always think these are cute, if harsh (I think the 2ch author's been updating the image each week) - formatting's messed up from copy and paste, but you can see the original at link:

http://namidame.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1198676308/359@

359 :名無しさん必死だな:2007/12/28(金) 10:20:44 ID:0rg9FTXC0
     ∩_∩ ∧_∧
    (    )∩;;)3゙゚').・:;←PS3(笑)
   Oゝ   ノ、  O)
    / Wii )  (   \
    ( / ̄∪  ∪ ̄\)
    74,764   37,092

∩_∩  ∧_∧
   ( ・ x・) :);)ε゙゚' )←PS3(笑)
   (O  つ ⊂ ⊂ヽ
    ( Wii 二フ)  ノ
    ( / ̄  ∪ ̄∪
   115,057  38,123

∩_∩ ∩ .・:;_ ∩.・:;
     ( ・ x・) !⊂/  ノ )←PS3(笑)
    O    _ノ /   /ノV
    ./ Wii ヽ し'⌒∪
    (_/ ̄ Lノ
    170,558   63,720

∩_∩
       ( ・ x・)つ
      (O Wii/´
      /  '⌒||
232,907,,( / ̄l l|i .・:;  ,,
     ⊂⌒;・⊃ 。Д(;;)⊃←PS3(笑)

I can see where the whole thing about a console being "worth more users" is coming from, but supposing a console would be worth twice as many users as a portable seems to be much too far. Through 159 weeks, Famitsu has DS hardware at 20.6 million and PS2 hardware at 10.9 million. If a console was worth twice as many users as a portable, they'd be available to a similar number of users; PS2 would even have a slight advantage. That being the case, though, it would seem pretty strange that DS software through 159 weeks completely trashes PS2 software through 159 weeks.

Without Top 500 lists for PS2's early years its total software number is at a disadvantage, but from what I have gathered it's DS software 78.7 million to PS2 software 53.5 million. Maybe with all the missing data, and being generous to PS2, it would be more like 80 million to 60 million.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JoshuaJSlone said:
I can see where the whole thing about a console being "worth more users" is coming from, but supposing a console would be worth twice as many users as a portable seems to be much too far. Through 159 weeks, Famitsu has DS hardware at 20.6 million and PS2 hardware at 10.9 million. If a console was worth twice as many users as a portable, they'd be available to a similar number of users; PS2 would even have a slight advantage. That being the case, though, it would seem pretty strange that DS software through 159 weeks completely trashes PS2 software through 159 weeks.

Without Top 500 lists for PS2's early years its total software number is at a disadvantage, but from what I have gathered it's DS software 78.7 million to PS2 software 53.5 million. Maybe with all the missing data, and being generous to PS2, it would be more like 80 million to 60 million.
Some might argue that console games are longer and take more time to beat so people would buy less. But then when you look at tie-ratios we realize that those people are morons.

Ok, so I was curious to see how both wii and ps3 have fared year over year thus far, now that both systems are heading into their second year. Excluding launch week, this is the ltd for both the wii and ps3 in the same, approximate time period for 2006 and 2007.

wii

12/4/06 - 12/24/06 = 472,953
12/3/07 - 12/23/07 = 518,522

ps3

11/13/06 - 12/24/06 = 304,192
11/12/07 - 12/23/07 = 286,844

ps3 launch - 11/11/06
wii launch - 12/2/06

Link

The Autumn Wind
*Guaraná said:
wow only 9 pages for a sales thread? Sales-Age am dommed!

I blame wiifit!!!

:D
It will grow as we get first day numbers, then reports on sales for next week before the official numbers are out. This is pretty standard.

schuelma

Link said:
It will grow as we get first day numbers, then reports on sales for next week before the official numbers are out. This is pretty standard.

Also the Sony fans are nowhere to be seen.

itxaka

Defeatist
Fuzzy said:
Yeah, ioi and I worked out a rough estimate a long time ago of 21.64 million in Japan. A million higher or lower doesn't make a big difference though.

The GB/GBC situation has already been addressed so I'll move on to your question. The Japanese shipment data for those are as follows.

NES 19.2
SNES 17.15

EDIT: I just realized I didn't actually answer the question, PS2 is still the all time console champ.

No problem. I was really interested on the sales data for both of them!

Thanks!

Look, I know the DS is the DS, and it seems dumb to say this the week it passes the juggernaut PS2 LTD. But does anyone think some collars might be getting a bit tight at NoJ over the resurgence and subsequent steadying of PSP sales to a high level that borders on nipping at the heels of the DS? Sure we :lol and post GIFs, but is it possible that Iwata is not bathing in a pool of gold coins, but rather sitting at the top of his fortress of bone, pounding his desk and shouting, "Damn! I thought we took care of this thing two years ago!" I can't imagine him being satisfied with Sony occupying one bit of the handheld sector, let alone grabbing nearly 40% of weekly sales.

Mario Party DS is killing, and I know the focus right now is on establishing the Wii, but overall it feels like Nintendo has eased up -- maybe too much for their own good. One thing is for sure, the era of mass shortages and ravenous demand is over. I'm surprised we haven't heard about NSMB 2, BT 3, and a slew of new colors in an attempt to squash this uprising. Maybe there is a redesign coming, maybe they believe DQIX will be a gamebreaker.

Or maybe I'm just talkin' crazy.

So I took my code for listing a single platform's sales and modified it to combine X360/PS3/Wii while ignoring publishers with names like "Microsoft" and "Pokémon". Tada, an overview of third party console performance. Having made that it seemed silly not to change a few characters to make a portable version, so I did. I notice Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is currently the best-selling portable third party game of the generation, though DQM Joker might really still be in the lead if it's sold a few dozen thousand more beneath the charts.

Here's the portable third-party situation two years ago. Slightly worse numbers than the present-day console numbers, though obviously with lower production budgets.

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I took my code for listing a single platform's sales and modified it to combine X360/PS3/Wii while ignoring publishers with names like "Microsoft" and "Pokémon". Tada, an overview of third party console performance. Having made that it seemed silly not to change a few characters to make a portable version, so I did.

Here's the portable third-party situation two years ago. Slightly worse numbers than the present-day console numbers, though obviously with lower production budgets.

Wow, great stuff Josh.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
pretend my charts are in this post.

Thoughts for the year:
1. Let us all say "wow" at how much of a lead the Wii is getting on the competition. It's really unprecedented how dominant the Wii has been. I expect and project this to continue throughout 2008.

2. Let us also say holy shit that sucks at the lack of announced REAL 3rd party content for the Wii. It's getting a lot of spin-offs, party games, and random original nintendo-inspired original IPs, but rarely any front line hardcore gaming announcements. Fighting games (non DBZ or Nintendo), Racing games (non kart), RPGs/sRPGs/aRPGs (non spinoff), and extreme sports (Skating/Snowboarding) are few and far between and those that do fit the criteria aren't cutting it. Nintendo consoles' stigma of being a 1st party machine has not been changed. One might point to the emergence of 3rd party success on the DS as a blueprint for how it may change. Hopefully it does. I expect the Wii to average around 55-65k per week this year.

3. Ok, the PS3 and 360 are done in Japan. We'll see a huge boost to the PS3 if MGS4/FFXIII/etc ever come out, but until then, Sony will have to hope that HD ever takes root in Japan. I don't suspect that it will. I expect/project the PS3 to average about 28-38k per week this year.

4. Software - Nintendo sells. DS kills. PSP pirates. Wii 1st party amazes, 3rd parties shit in our cereal bowls. PS2 is done. PS3 has a couple bright spots but phails. 360 is deader than dead.

schuelma

Agent Icebeezy said:
The wait for 2008 campaigning makes no sense for Japan. That war is over.

Well so far sales don't seem to have materially affected big budget games besides MH3, so the "war" hasn't had much of a bottomline impact.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
So I took my code for listing a single platform's sales and modified it to combine X360/PS3/Wii while ignoring publishers with names like "Microsoft" and "Pokémon". Tada, an overview of third party console performance. Having made that it seemed silly not to change a few characters to make a portable version, so I did. I notice Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is currently the best-selling portable third party game of the generation, though DQM Joker might really still be in the lead if it's sold a few dozen thousand more beneath the charts.

1. What's the deal with the "as of the week of" column? Shouldn't they all be the same, or is that when they dropped out of trackable range?

2. Holy crap. NAMCO BANDAI had 5 of the top 10 in 3rd party sales (2 on Wii, 3 on PS3).

3. PS3 had 6 out of ten in top 3rd party sales. KOEI had 2 titles up in the top 10 -- both on the PS3.

4. The 360 has 26 (out of 102) titles on this list.
5. The Wii has 48/102 (47%) of the titles on this list.
6. The PS3 has 28.

PantherLotus said:
pretend my charts are in this post.

Thoughts for the year:
1. Let us all say "wow" at how much of a lead the Wii is getting on the competition. It's really unprecedented how dominant the Wii has been. I expect and project this to continue throughout 2008.

Isn't this pretty much how every gen goes in Japan?

Top Bottom