• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The front-facing camera never fails to make me look like a serial killer. When I show up in the sun it's always a jolt.

Skyzard

Banned
^ lol

Really nice shots Toma!

Wow toma. How does this game look this good on vita?

Really nice lighting and artstyle, everything looks so good. Even better when walking around with a camera and a filter!

Just took a shot now:
Dhs3lMD.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
^ you sure you didn't print that out and set it up? Looks so good!

-The Modern Age Pokemon Snap :p

It sort of feels like it. Only thing missing would be a photo album to categorize photos of every object and animal.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Speaking of that guy, I just used a picture of a vita and it turned out pretty funny:

2013-11-23-025916.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
The front-facing camera never fails to make me look like a serial killer. When I show up in the sun it's always a jolt.

Every time someone talks about how charming this game is, I think of my mug in headphones in the sky and get really self conscious. Some fourth walls weren't meant to be broken

First thought was like, "Jesus, so that's what happened to the Teletubbies baby"

Rizob

Fair enough, I'd probably be inclined to do the same if I hadn't gone to so much effort to collect the delivery (which was at least partially Zavvi's fault for sending a different item that was much bigger than what I'd expected). I would love to get the game quickly (it's one of my most anticipated games this year), but I've also got lots of work to do that it would distract me from, so I can live without it for the time being.

Have they got back you yet confirming the collection date? I've had to deal with their customer service before and they can be pretty slow, it would be good if they are dealing with this issue more quickly than usual and responding to messages over the weekend.
Yeah they've got back to me. They are going to refund me when they receive the Vita back, as apparently Tearaway is out of stock now. Guess i will just go digital and buy it on the PS Store instead to save waiting.

Rizob

^ they charged you for the Vita that they sent by mistake?? ... surely not?

Get tearaway digitally anyway, it's awesome to have a nice copy of and it's not too big a size tbh

That's a posh viking! Needs a hairy chest

Nah they only charged me for the game so they will be refunding my £19.99 when they get their Vita back.

Skyzard

Banned
Nah they only charged me for the game so they will be refunding my £19.99 when they get their Vita back.

Ah not quite as terrible :) But yeah bit lame to not offer further compensation for the inconvenience although I can understand them not wanting to send out another £20 when they can't force you to send it back (I assume).

vladdamad

Finished it this morning, last hour was trippy as hell. Thought it was super enjoyable and arguably the best game on the Vita
although I still prefer Gravity Rush
. I think the pacing was a little too slow during the middle of the game
crash site chapter
but other than that, really great. Some awesome diverse environments. Art style is, of course, spectacular. The atmosphere reminds me of a cross between Loco Roco and Psychonauts. Highly recommended to everyone with a Vita

Rizob

Ah not quite as terrible :) But yeah bit lame to not offer further compensation for the inconvenience although I can understand them not wanting to send out another £20 when they can't force you to send it back (I assume).
Yeah i'm just hoping i actually receive the PS4 i pre-ordered from them next friday and not just a copy of Knack or something.

Nakayumi

Played the demo yesterday and it made me do an 180 on this game. The trailers did nothing for me but playing it was so good. MM finally nailed platforming controls and jumping (something I hated about LBP), it's incredibly creative but not obnoxious in the way LBP was, and it's so cute and fun to play and look at. I just had a stupid grin on my face the entire time. The reviews weren't kidding when they said the first must-have Vita exclusive has finally arrived.

Now if only they had released this on another day... Zelda is taking up my precious game time right now, and with Mario and all the next-gen stuff around, they couldn't have picked a worse moment to release it.

I played the demo, knowing that I was interested in the game, but not ready to plunk $35.00 down just yet.

That all changed when I put the little crown on the chimpmunk. Media Molecule are just geniuses and know exactly how to pull at my heart strings.

I instantly bought the game and have no regrets. I would have liked to get the physical copy, but buying digital on a game like this makes sense because it's directly to the devs in a sense.

jacobeid

Banned
I instantly bought the game and have no regrets. I would have liked to get the physical copy, but buying digital on a game like this makes sense because it's directly to the devs in a sense.

And MM is first party so all of the money is really going to Sony at large :p

alice

Downloaded the demo, played until the game asked me if I wanted to buy. I was going to go physical copy, but nope... I had to download to keep playing. What a charming game! I haven't enjoyed a platformer this much in a long time. Is anyone else going to actually make the papercraft creations, or is that just me? I require all these characters on my mantel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Crossposting from another thread:

Tearaway is awesome.

Basic impressions is that this is not like LBP at all. I don't like LBP because there's always more emphasis placed on Play/Create/Share and presentation above all as opposed to basic gameplay mechanics and the nature/momentum of the character's speed or jumps.

It's very nicely executed in terms of its level design. It does the thing where you're presented with an initial situation, makes you figure it out, and then tests your abilities with various obstructions and issues in the level design for you to overcome without outright telling you what to do, which is what a lot of platformers have issues with these days. Mm's own other platformers have this issue, so it seems like they've learned a lot from LBP. There isn't that much of an emphasis on Play/Create/Share and the game emphasizes the platformer aspect instead, as it should. The presentation is certainly there, but again, that isn't the focus-- again, curious because it's Mm. You are also encouraged to replay various areas because there are so many secrets in the game. If you're not exploring and looking around while you're playing, you can miss a lot of stuff. Don't just keep traveling on the path they lay out for you because there's a lot of stuff to look around for. It consistently incorporates and introduces new mechanics at a fair rate and utterly encourages you to interact with your game environment to find out every single secret they've included. It's a very decent exploratory 3D platformer. Even collectathoning isn't necessarily forced onto the player.

It's exactly what the Vita needed in order to showcase its features as a game system, rear touchpad included. After a little bit, it begins to feel very natural, more natural than LBP Vita made it feel. The second bit where you're tapping on the rear touchpad to jump better is very nicely executed because the jumps don't feel stupid. If anything, it almost feels like Mm should just concentrate on 3D platformers as opposed to 2D Create-a-Platformers. The music is nicely composed and adequately used in the game, and the NPC characters don't feel like they get in the way most of the time since they aren't being narrated half the time. I don't feel like the Vita inputs with the camera/touchpad feel forced and hackneyed (which is actually what I felt of LBP Vita despite feeling as though that game used the Vita's features in an okay sort of way), so that's a huge step-up. It feels far more cohesively-developed than any other Media Molecule game to date. I know that isn't saying much, especially if you don't like LBP just like me, but it's absolutely true.

The minuses I can take away now is that the camera can sometimes be locked, and that it does take time to at least unlock jump. Combat is also fairly shallow, but I think more of the point is platform around with the techniques given to you.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Hey guys i have a problem, i played the demo(awesome) now i want my syster to play it, is tear a way to replay from the beginning(without deleting and redownloading)?

It's gotten into your head! or
i see what you did there...

Anyway, I have no idea.

This game is excellent. I played a little bit more on the bus to work, and I just love it to pieces. So charming, and fun to play. It has really great level design.

Burbeting

Banned
This game is just full of charm. Smiling all the time while playing it, which is a huge accomplishment :D. The music is top-notch and I really like the art-style ^___^.

How far am I into the game atm?
Right now at the laboratory.

Philly40

I'm normally not the most photogenic of people - I hate seeing screenshots/videos of myself - but the smile on my face superimposed on the sun as I've played this game has greatly amused my wife and children

I played the demo last night and fell in love with the game, but can't justify shelling out the $36 after laying down $520 for the PS4+2 games this past week. =/

But man, what a lovely game. Aside from the visuals and the music, which are top notch, I was really pleasantly surprised by how well paced all the segments in the demo were. If the quality of the demo is representative of the rest of the game, I wouldn't be too shy to say that Tearaway is a higher-quality game than most console games out there. If this game was honestly made by a team of about 15, I am floored. It absolutely oozes thoughtful design and charm.

Tiktaalik

Throwing away decades of gaming convention, this game uses the Square button as the ok/accept button. What a bizarre and arrogant decision by the developers.

Is this modifiable in the full game? I'm just playing the demo right now.

I recognize this is a small issue, and it certainly wouldn't halt me from buying the game, but at the same time it's a bewildering decision to me.

Peff

Crossposting from another thread:

Tearaway is awesome.

Basic impressions is that this is not like LBP at all. I don't like LBP because there's always more emphasis placed on Play/Create/Share and presentation above all as opposed to basic gameplay mechanics and the nature/momentum of the character's speed or jumps.

It's very nicely executed in terms of its level design. It does the thing where you're presented with an initial situation, makes you figure it out, and then tests your abilities with various obstructions and issues in the level design for you to overcome without outright telling you what to do, which is what a lot of platformers have issues with these days. Mm's own other platformers have this issue, so it seems like they've learned a lot from LBP. There isn't that much of an emphasis on Play/Create/Share and the game emphasizes the platformer aspect instead, as it should. The presentation is certainly there, but again, that isn't the focus-- again, curious because it's Mm. You are also encouraged to replay various areas because there are so many secrets in the game. If you're not exploring and looking around while you're playing, you can miss a lot of stuff. Don't just keep traveling on the path they lay out for you because there's a lot of stuff to look around for. It consistently incorporates and introduces new mechanics at a fair rate and utterly encourages you to interact with your game environment to find out every single secret they've included. It's a very decent exploratory 3D platformer. Even collectathoning isn't necessarily forced onto the player.

It's exactly what the Vita needed in order to showcase its features as a game system, rear touchpad included. After a little bit, it begins to feel very natural, more natural than LBP Vita made it feel. The second bit where you're tapping on the rear touchpad to jump better is very nicely executed because the jumps don't feel stupid. If anything, it almost feels like Mm should just concentrate on 3D platformers as opposed to 2D Create-a-Platformers. The music is nicely composed and adequately used in the game, and the NPC characters don't feel like they get in the way most of the time since they aren't being narrated half the time. I don't feel like the Vita inputs with the camera/touchpad feel forced and hackneyed (which is actually what I felt of LBP Vita despite feeling as though that game used the Vita's features in an okay sort of way), so that's a huge step-up. It feels far more cohesively-developed than any other Media Molecule game to date. I know that isn't saying much, especially if you don't like LBP just like me, but it's absolutely true.

The minuses I can take away now is that the camera can sometimes be locked, and that it does take time to at least unlock jump. Combat is also fairly shallow, but I think more of the point is platform around with the techniques given to you.

Yeah, pretty much my take so far. I went in expecting some sort of too-open-for-its-own-good fetch-quest fest, but I've been consistently impressed by how on point and focused the levels are, even if there isn't much challenge to be found. Even the more sandbox-y environments are still manageable enough to make finding everything fun, not to mention varied and gorgeous to look at. Really happy I got it.

Servbot24

Banned
Don't really get the criticisms of the combat tbh. That would be like criticizing a random side-quest in a Zelda game as not being important enough. It's just a minor tool to shake things up and it works great for that. Might have been better for the game to just avoid combat scenarios altogether, because when most players see combat they go into a mode of thinking involving a lot of unsuitable expectations.

I am missing one single confetti in
Maypole Fields
and the
mouse paper craft and one red present in The Barn
. Does anyone have an idea where these things ought to be? I have scoured both these levels inside and out three times and am clueless as to their whereabouts. In the second level I mentioned I did find the
red present where you turn the chute to the left side of the screen, rather than the right

Top Bottom