• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Far Cry 2 on 360 and PS3

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Sorry Borys.

Very short PR:
UBISOFT® ANNONCE L’ARRIVEE DE FAR CRY® 2
SUR XBOX 360® ET PLAYSTATION®3

Paris, FRANCE — le 3 Janvier 2008 — Ubisoft annonce aujourd’hui que Far Cry® 2 est actuellement en développement sur Xbox 360® de Microsoft et PLAYSTATION®3 de Sony. Far Cry 2 est un jeu de tir à la première personne développé par le studio d’Ubisoft Montréal.

Plus qu’une performance visuelle et technologique, Far Cry 2 constitue pour le joueur une expérience de jeu inédite, basée sur un moteur de jeu conçu spécifiquement pour l’occasion. Les joueurs seront plongés dans un univers de jeu totalement ouvert, au sein de somptueux paysages africains, grâce à la haute définition et à la technologie next-gen.

La sortie de Far Cry 2 est prévue pour l’année fiscale 2008-2009.
It says nothing more than Far Cry 2 is being developed on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. No mention of the PC, and that's strange though.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Who was the one saying that Far Cry 2 was looking better than Crysis?

At any rate, sweet news.

TONX said:
Who was the one saying that Far Cry 2 was looking better than Crysis?

Far Cry 2 looks insane, but the most impressive stuff is how dynamic the game world is. A fraction of which will make it into the console abortions, I'm sure. I wonder if they will be smart and use the PC content for promotions?

far-cry-2--20070822014506671.jpg

Mrbob

Poor Borys. :/

This makes me happy though. Give in like I have! :D

Now we just need to see Crysis on 360 and PS3.

This is the real Far Cry 2, right? Not some Far Cry Instincts knock off bs.

Mrbob said:
Poor Borys. :/

Now we just need to see Crysis on 360 and PS3.

This is the real Far Cry 2, right? Not some Far Cry Instincts knock off bs.

If they can get the real Far Cry 2 running on these clown platforms with everything intact, then there is either suddenly something severely wrong with the PC version, or the console dudes are geniuses. And there is evidence pointing against the latter, so hey.

KevinCow

Banned
Well, it's made by Ubisoft, so it's not really all that surprising that they're trying to put it on more than one platform.

Personally, I'm surprised they don't have a shitty, extremely downgraded, hardly recognizable PSP/PS2/Wii version with a 2D sidescroller version on the DS.

KevinCow said:
Well, it's made by Ubisoft, so it's not really all that surprising that they're trying to put it on more than one platform.

Personally, I'm surprised they don't have a shitty, extremely downgraded, hardly recognizable PSP/PS2/Wii version with a 2D sidescroller version on the DS.

I'm sure they will have one of those too. But see it this way; suddenly Far Cry 2 will be a legit point of discussion around here.

Mrbob said:

Give in to what, the lesser experience? Pfft. Either the clown platform versions are gimped, or the PC version has been gimped to irrelevance to make sure the clown platforms can run it.

:lol

If they are going to differ from the PC version they should make it by a decent amount, at least give people the incentive to double-dip or rent the alternate version for extended play.

Francias Castiglione said:
:lol

If they are going to differ from the PC version they should make it by a decent amount, at least give people the incentive to double-dip or rent the alternate version for extended play.

It would have to differ greatly from the PC version to make that PC version even worth talking about. It'd be sad if that version had been crippled for the benefit of the console versions, but it's Ubi so I'm half-expecting that anyway.

hope it turns out good

:lol at pc fans elitism...some of us have been playing pc games for 20 years, but would still prefer their experience on consoles these days

traveler

Not Wario
Well, I finally created the PC to play games like this so I'll wait and see. If the PC version is significantly superior, I'll still go with it, but if the difference is minor, I'll go with the 360 as it will probably run it better than my new laptop will.

I don't even think the game is going to run well on the PC.

Well the new cards are coming out so...but still. There is no way what they showed is going to run well on current PCs or the consoles, IMO. (The engine looks better or on par with Crysis)

traveler said:
Well, I finally created the PC to play games like this so I'll wait and see. If the PC version is significantly superior, I'll still go with it, but if the difference is minor, I'll go with the 360 as it will probably run it better than my new laptop will.

Of course it will be significantly superior. That is unless the game has been gimped, and then what's the point?

nelsonroyale said:
hope it turns out good

:lol at pc fans elitism...some of us have been playing pc games for 20 years, but would still prefer their experience on consoles these days

That's great. But you can't actually get the same experience on these clown systems. They are too weak and stupid.

snoopers

I am multitalented
AltogetherAndrews said:
It would have to differ greatly from the PC version to make that PC version even worth talking about. It'd be sad if that version had been crippled for the benefit of the console versions, but it's Ubi so I'm half-expecting that anyway.

I doubt the PC team is handling the ports. FC2 is a PC game, in the same way GRAW was a console game ported to the PC.

snoopers said:
I doubt the PC team is handling the ports. FC2 is a PC game, in the same way GRAW was a console game ported to the PC.

That's what I have assumed, or rather that's what they have at least claimed, but I don't exactly trust this company these days.

bigmit3737 said:
I don't even think the game is going to run well on the PC.

Well the new cards are coming out so...but still. There is no way what they showed is going to run well on current PCs or the consoles, IMO. (The engine looks better or on par with Crysis)

I think the demonstrations ran on a C2D and an 8800GTX, but I could be wrong.

crunker99

London, United Kingdom – 3rd January, 2008 – Today, Ubisoft announced that Far Cry® 2 is being developed for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Far Cry 2 is a next-generation first-person shooter being created by Ubisoft’s Montreal development studio.

More than just a visual and technological achievement, Far Cry 2 immerses players in an entirely new kind of gaming experience, featuring a custom-made video game engine built from the ground up. Players will discover a true open world gameplay set in one of the most beautiful environments in the world, Africa, brought to life by high-definition next-gen technology. Far Cry 2 is scheduled to ship fiscal 2008–2009.

heres the english PR

traveler said:

I am about to create a new PC and get a 360. It seems there are really no more exclusives for the PC. :(

That makes me a little sad.

Is SC2 one of the only exclusives left on the PC for 2008?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
this just made me completely hate Ubisoft ( i still like Sarkozy's new girl ..she is hot )

just a question why Crytek don't own the trademark/copyright of their games ? it's very sad that EA or Ubi could/will ruin great IPs with average console port/sequel that not done by Crytek ..

Totobeni said:
this just made me completely hate Ubisoft ( i still like Sarkozy's new girl ..she is hot )

just a question why Crytek don't own the trademark/copyright of their games ? it's very sad that EA or Ubi could/will ruin great IPs with average console port/sequel that not done by Crytek ..

Eh, this (PC version) looks to be a good deal better than Far Cry. Taking the best things from Far Cry and leaving out the sci-fi crap. And Crytek sold the IP to Ubi.

Sounds great. Probably won't have the visuals of the PC version, but it should be a great game none the less. It'll be interesting to see how the port looks.

Tieno

Totobeni said:

Crytek sold the Far Cry IP to Ubisoft to grow and build the company so they wouldn't have to do the same thing with a new IP. GFW Radio had the CEO of Crytek on a few months ago and he shed some light on that, very interesting and smart guy.

Dark FaZe said:
Sounds great. Probably won't have the visuals of the PC version, but it should be a great game none the less. It'll be interesting to see how the port looks.

I doubt it will have that either, but I think visuals might be the least of the concerns here. I doubt the console versions will be "ports" at all.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AltogetherAndrews said:
If they can get the real Far Cry 2 running on these clown platforms with everything intact, then there is either suddenly something severely wrong with the PC version, or the console dudes are geniuses. And there is evidence pointing against the latter, so hey.

Your shtick is really getting old. :/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AltogetherAndrews said:
Aren't you the dude who swore up and down that games on these consoles would totally match Crysis?

Match yes! And I still believe they will. Maybe not in a open world like Cryis, but in a game in a closed setting with less room to load like Silent Hill or Killzone size area could match Crysis some day.

Why is it impossible to believe?

syllogism

Shut up about Borys already, who cares. It seems these days we can't have a somewhat PC related thread without people going BORYS BORYS BORYS.

syllogism said:
Shut up about Borys already, who cares. It seems these days we can't have a somewhat PC related thread without people going BORYS BORYS BORYS.

Pretty much.

And if the PC is the lead platform what's the fucking problem? Everyone wins.

mckmas8808 said:
Match yes! And I still believe they will. Maybe not in a open world like Cryis, but in a game in a closed setting with less room to load like Silent Hill or Killzone size area could match Crysis some day.

But then it doesn't match it, does it? You can match anything if you selectively trim and crop in order to make it "match". Which I'm sure is what is happening with Far Cry 2 for consoles in order to make it "match" the PC version.

mckmas8808 said:
Why is it impossible to believe?

There isn't a shred of evidence to support this blind belief. What, exploding pillars in Killzone 2, that matches what Crysis does?

h3ro said:
Anyone care to link what Borys said?

He was probably just relaying this

Q: What about console ports? A game like FarCry 2 seems like you're necessarily limiting those possibilities ...

A: Yeah, I know. Our mandate, like I said, was to make Ubisoft a top-tier PC game. That's my mandate, that's what I'm doing. It's obviously Ubisoft's business if they want to do a console version.

Top Bottom