• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

This x1000. I don't know why they won't put games like Earthbound or LTTP on the 3DS shop. SNES games on the go would be a huge selling point for me. I would buy a ton. I really don't want to use my consoles and big TV to play retro games.

Exactly. Honestly, I would buy SO many SNES games on the 3DS if they were on there. Not just Nintendo games, but stuff like Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger...etc. I don't know how hard it is to port them over, but I would buy every single one.

Finished the game yesterday. Loved every minute of it, definitely a GOTY contender for sure. The music, the dungeon designs, the bosses....everything was A+. Definitely the best Zelda I've played since Link to the Past. Plus the 3D was absolutely fantastic. The only 3DS game where I've been able to play the whole game with the 3D on.

Nintendo really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Just beat it, game of the year, I almost shed a man tear at the post credits scene.

I hope the Wii U Zelda team learns some lessons from this game.

Near the end and can say I really have enjoyed it. That being said, Hyrule is beginning to feel a little "small" to me. It be nice to get a game in this style taking place in a world as large, multiple towns etc like that of Zelda II.

Megasoum

Banned
I finished the game last night. Really enjoyed it and brought back a ton of memories from my numerous LTTP playthroughs.

Only thing that annoyed me is that I managed to miss the
red mail
in the last dungeon. By the time I realized I missed it I was already coming in the bossfight so it was too late to get it. Good thing I didn't really need it tho.

ZwbWUMQ.png
#thuglife.

Anteo

Yeah this game goes to my top 3 Zelda games, top 2 maybe. I need to revisit this in a few months to be sure.

In the meantime, hero mode!

I have three heart pieces and the skull woods left before the end game. Finding these last three heart pieces is killing me. Also, the
empty item slot
is the most annoying thing in the world to me. I'm not missing something there am I?

KarmaCow

I have three heart pieces and the skull woods left before the end game. Finding these last three heart pieces is killing me. Also, the
empty item slot
is the most annoying thing in the world to me. I'm not missing something there am I?

You should have
a single empty slot after buying both fruit

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ice ruins was awesome

Now to find that dark palace

Poyunch

Endgame spoilers

The introduction of another Triforce and another Sacred Realm is going to really fuck up the timeline right after it just got "fixed" due to Hyrule Historia.

Anteo

Endgame spoilers

The introduction of another Triforce and another Sacred Realm is going to really fuck up the timeline right after it just got "fixed" due to Hyrule Historia.

Not really, the fact that there are other parallel worlds that work on their own without the intervention of Hyrule's Triforce wont have any impact on the timeline, other than having one more possible explanation for stuff that make no sense

R.I.P

Beat the Ice Ruins (best dungeon!) today and finished all the side stuff I had left (maiamais, all the heart pieces, Treacherous Tower), only the final dungeon to go now! Love the new version of the Lorule theme that plays
after getting the triforce of courage
, too bad I don't have anything more to do in the overworld so I could listen to it more.

The Great Spin is broken as fuck.
This, I absolutely destroyed the Treacherous Tower with it, was quite fun though :)

I need to send my 3ds for repair. Y button isn't working properly and have to press it down really hard for it to work. Will nintendo charge me extra if my 3ds has small cosmetic damage? I know its still in warranty. Also the cosmetic damage is scratches only.

Can someone redirect me to nintendo web form to fill In?

If someone can throw me a hint about how to get the chest in the middle of the map on the top floor of the Dark Palace, that would be amazing. I hope I'm not missing something too obvious...

DaBoss

If someone can throw me a hint about how to get the chest in the middle of the map on the top floor of the Dark Palace, that would be amazing. I hope I'm not missing something too obvious...
Play with the switches using the item required for the dungeon.

Sendou

Walls turn when you do something. Hitting a switch with a bomb might be the bomb. Watch what happens further away from a switch rather than right next to it.

NolbertoS

Hey guys I've been looking for hours. Can someone tell me where the cave is for throwing rupees at rhe water fountain for luck?? I've been trying to find it again without success :(. Have alot of money to throw. If you guys can tell me if its in which world and where, thanks

Hey guys I've been looking for hours. Can someone tell me where the cave is for throwing rupees at rhe water fountain for luck?? I've been trying to find it again without success :(. Have alot of money to throw. If you guys can tell me if its in which world and where, thanks

If you're talking about
the rupee fairy
then it's
in the west of Lorule, in a cave just to the left of the bomb flower spot, south of the thieves town.

soultron

Banned
Question about 1F Dark Palace:
There's a room on 1F that I cannot seem to access on the west side. It looks like there's a doorway at the top of that room connected it to the northwest-most room in the northwest corner of the floor; the connecting room that I can get into has the 2 timed switch orbs but they're used to turn on a vertical elevator platform. The compass says there's no chests or anything in there, but I want to check it out anyway.
How the heck do I get in that room? I've already finished the dungeon.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds

The original Link to the Past is much like Goldfinger in the James Bond franchise, the third entry that established the traditions the series would continue to iterate on. Instead of guns, gadgets, and babes, its heart pieces, themed dungeons, and the Master Sword. There’s something about this original game design that resonates with gamers for so many years, and A Link Between Worlds is Nintendo’s big science experiment trying to figure that out. In doing so, they’ve stripped away so much of the fat and bluster that’s accumulated around the waist of the franchise. The game-padding fetch quests, the long story sequences, the boring overworld traversal, the talkative redundant helper AIs; erased in an instant.

Take these away and you see the core of Zelda shining through, an action-adventure game par excellence, that works just as well now as it did twenty years ago.

The first thing you notice when you start playing in the first dungeon(which is an exceptionally short amount of time compared to recent installments) is just how fast everything else. The 60fps is readily apparent not just to the eyes, but the fingers; every sword swing is smooth and punchy, every animation that much cleaner and faster, and Link moves at an arcadey zip through the world’s many perilous areas. The game has been granted a 360 analog control thanks to the 3DS’ layout that makes the simple act of moving around easier and smoother than its ever been in the top-down Zelda series. There’s a new recharging magic meter that cuts down on the micro-management (no more bomb bags and farming broken pots for arrows!) and encourages experimentation. The bottom screen has an always handy map on display, as well as a touch screen inventory that makes switching tools a snap. There’s even a fast-travel system that quickly whips you around the overworld. There are so many various improvements that make Link Between Worlds the most downright fun to play Zelda on a moment-to-moment basis.

This streamlining hasn’t just made it way into the controls, but the game design proper. Link Between Worlds’ overworlds are more or less the Light and Dark Worlds from Link to the Past given a modern sheen. Some may quibble at the cribbing, but personally I don’t mind. LttP is not a favorite Zelda of mine and its overworlds are mostly unfamiliar to me, so its very much like exploring them all anew. And you’ll want to explore them, as not only are your controls fast and snappy, but the overworld is very densely populated. This isn’t like Wind Waker’s endless oceans with sparsely located islands or the large faceless landmass of Twilight Princess. Almost every square of land in Link Between Worlds has something interesting to do, from combat, puzzles, secrets, and just figuring out where to go. Its actually quite possible to get stuck or lost in this one, as I have been I’m afraid to admit. In a refreshing turn of events, many of the game’s items like the Pegasus Boots are completely missable, with no AI helper pointing you in the right direction. When the game opens up in the Lorule dark world section, there’s are several different dungeons and areas to explore and its almost entirely up to you to figure which ones to tackle in what order, and how you go about figuring it out. There’s a level of freedom thats unprecedented in a modern Zelda title, and a real sense of mystery and adventure I feel was missing has returned.

Of course, the game isn’t set fit to just rest on LttP’s laurels and add nothing of its own. The overworld has seen a number of new additions, such as Treasure Rooms with some of the trickiest puzzles in the game, new minigames to try and conqueror, and maybe the best game-wide side quest the series has seen yet in the Maimais. There a 100 of these little buggers spread across the game that requires a good knowledge of the land and your abilities to find. Collecting 10 upgrades your tools making your adventuring more efficient. It’s a good incentive, and because of the condensed overworld and the quick traversal, they’re a joy to find.

The dungeons have seen a complete overhaul as well. These are short but sharp levels, ones that expect you to come in with the item in hand, instead of teasing with you until the halfway mark. Each one makes effective use of its main item and theme, along with a decent mix of combat and hidden secrets. The Desert Palace and Ice Ruins are the two particular standouts with strong atmosphere and tricky traversal, but none of them actively bad. The compact nature speaks well to the overall game design; making lean, efficient Zelda levels that leave you satisfied and are over before they ever begin to drag. It makes for a very breezy, highly addictive experience.

Perhaps too breezy. If there’s one major complaint to be thrown LBW’s way(outside the aesthetics which are…well, they look better in motion) is how easy the game is overall. Not that much easier than most modern Zeldas, mind, but it does have an effect on the game’s core ideas. One of the big ones is the rental system, which gives you most of the tools from the very beginning of the game for a fee. In theory, this would allow you to explore more of the world from the beginning, but the danger of dying or running out of money would make it a challenging game. Well you’ll never have to worry about that(at least on the default difficulty, the only available option). The game showers you with rupees everywhere from hidden chests to minigame completions, and between the myriad of healing potions, armor, Master Sword upgrades, and heart pieces, you’re almost never in any real danger of dying. The rental system seems a bit pointless here, and I’m not quite sure if that’s something they should take into future installments. Compounding this issue are things like the Maimai upgrades, which just make an easy game even easier. You want to make everyone in the Treachous Tower challenge arena your bitch, get the upgraded fire rod or the Great Spin upgrade and watch the magic happen.

But whats important to remember that it could be even easier, even more linear, and much slower than it is. This is a game unlike any other Zelda of the past decade in that has no bad parts. No sections that make you groan and think, “Ugh, this intro is going to take forever!” “Why do I have to watch this slow-ass animation EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to turn my boat around!?” “Who thought this fetch quest was fun!?””My goodness, is this text speed slow, I frigging get it already, Nintendo!” By going back to the source, Nintendo has crafted the purest form of Zelda. Its a laser-focused adventure filled with humorous NPCs, a wonderful soundtrack, a renewed faith in the player’s intelligence, and a laundry list of refinements that make the fast-paced mix of combat and exploration more enjoyable than its been in many a year. If its not the best Zelda, its clearly top 3 for me, and I can only pray that the Wii U installment takes some serious lessons from A Link Between Worlds.

9/10

protonion

Question about 1F Dark Palace:
There's a room on 1F that I cannot seem to access on the west side. It looks like there's a doorway at the top of that room connected it to the northwest-most room in the northwest corner of the floor; the connecting room that I can get into has the 2 timed switch orbs but they're used to turn on a vertical elevator platform. The compass says there's no chests or anything in there, but I want to check it out anyway.
How the heck do I get in that room? I've already finished the dungeon.

IIRC
Behind the elevator is a cracked wall you cannot see. Place a bomb on the elevator when it is at the highest point.

NolbertoS

You have to place a bomb on the lower crystal, while being on the platform with the face on the wall, than change into a picture and the wall will rotate to the other side and you'll get the iron ore

Flare

Just finished this game last night, wanted to 100% it but holy fuck the cuccos and the baseball game... I'm bad.

Aside from my failures, this game was an absolute pleasure to play (I don't want to think about about death mountain in hero mode, that must be the stuff of nightmares).

Just finished this game last night, wanted to 100% it but holy fuck the cuccos and the baseball game... I'm bad.

Aside from my failures, this game was an absolute pleasure to play (I don't want to think about about death mountain in hero mode, that must be the stuff of nightmares).

For the baseball game,
you might get a different bat if you set certain items to X before you start playing ;//

sphinx

the piano man
one thing I don't see mentioned enough is how this game looks so fucking epic and spectacular.

it effectively is a 3D world with a 2D view (unless inside a wall) links design is still ugly but it is admitedly the only so-so ho-hum design in the whole game.

Everything oozes style, charm and vibrant colors,

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds

The original Link to the Past is much like Goldfinger in the James Bond franchise, the third entry that established the traditions the series would continue to iterate on. Instead of guns, gadgets, and babes, its heart pieces, themed dungeons, and the Master Sword. There’s something about this original game design that resonates with gamers for so many years, and A Link Between Worlds is Nintendo’s big science experiment trying to figure that out. In doing so, they’ve stripped away so much of the fat and bluster that’s accumulated around the waist of the franchise. The game-padding fetch quests, the long story sequences, the boring overworld traversal, the talkative redundant helper AIs; erased in an instant.

Take these away and you see the core of Zelda shining through, an action-adventure game par excellence, that works just as well now as it did twenty years ago.

The first thing you notice when you start playing in the first dungeon(which is an exceptionally short amount of time compared to recent installments) is just how fast everything else. The 60fps is readily apparent not just to the eyes, but the fingers; every sword swing is smooth and punchy, every animation that much cleaner and faster, and Link moves at an arcadey zip through the world’s many perilous areas. The game has been granted a 360 analog control thanks to the 3DS’ layout that makes the simple act of moving around easier and smoother than its ever been in the top-down Zelda series. There’s a new recharging magic meter that cuts down on the micro-management (no more bomb bags and farming broken pots for arrows!) and encourages experimentation. The bottom screen has an always handy map on display, as well as a touch screen inventory that makes switching tools a snap. There’s even a fast-travel system that quickly whips you around the overworld. There are so many various improvements that make Link Between Worlds the most downright fun to play Zelda on a moment-to-moment basis.

This streamlining hasn’t just made it way into the controls, but the game design proper. Link Between Worlds’ overworlds are more or less the Light and Dark Worlds from Link to the Past given a modern sheen. Some may quibble at the cribbing, but personally I don’t mind. LttP is not a favorite Zelda of mine and its overworlds are mostly unfamiliar to me, so its very much like exploring them all anew. And you’ll want to explore them, as not only are your controls fast and snappy, but the overworld is very densely populated. This isn’t like Wind Waker’s endless oceans with sparsely located islands or the large faceless landmass of Twilight Princess. Almost every square of land in Link Between Worlds has something interesting to do, from combat, puzzles, secrets, and just figuring out where to go. Its actually quite possible to get stuck or lost in this one, as I have been I’m afraid to admit. In a refreshing turn of events, many of the game’s items like the Pegasus Boots are completely missable, with no AI helper pointing you in the right direction. When the game opens up in the Lorule dark world section, there’s are several different dungeons and areas to explore and its almost entirely up to you to figure which ones to tackle in what order, and how you go about figuring it out. There’s a level of freedom thats unprecedented in a modern Zelda title, and a real sense of mystery and adventure I feel was missing has returned.

Of course, the game isn’t set fit to just rest on LttP’s laurels and add nothing of its own. The overworld has seen a number of new additions, such as Treasure Rooms with some of the trickiest puzzles in the game, new minigames to try and conqueror, and maybe the best game-wide side quest the series has seen yet in the Maimais. There a 100 of these little buggers spread across the game that requires a good knowledge of the land and your abilities to find. Collecting 10 upgrades your tools making your adventuring more efficient. It’s a good incentive, and because of the condensed overworld and the quick traversal, they’re a joy to find.

The dungeons have seen a complete overhaul as well. These are short but sharp levels, ones that expect you to come in with the item in hand, instead of teasing with you until the halfway mark. Each one makes effective use of its main item and theme, along with a decent mix of combat and hidden secrets. The Desert Palace and Ice Ruins are the two particular standouts with strong atmosphere and tricky traversal, but none of them actively bad. The compact nature speaks well to the overall game design; making lean, efficient Zelda levels that leave you satisfied and are over before they ever begin to drag. It makes for a very breezy, highly addictive experience.

Perhaps too breezy. If there’s one major complaint to be thrown LBW’s way(outside the aesthetics which are…well, they look better in motion) is how easy the game is overall. Not that much easier than most modern Zeldas, mind, but it does have an effect on the game’s core ideas. One of the big ones is the rental system, which gives you most of the tools from the very beginning of the game for a fee. In theory, this would allow you to explore more of the world from the beginning, but the danger of dying or running out of money would make it a challenging game. Well you’ll never have to worry about that(at least on the default difficulty, the only available option). The game showers you with rupees everywhere from hidden chests to minigame completions, and between the myriad of healing potions, armor, Master Sword upgrades, and heart pieces, you’re almost never in any real danger of dying. The rental system seems a bit pointless here, and I’m not quite sure if that’s something they should take into future installments. Compounding this issue are things like the Maimai upgrades, which just make an easy game even easier. You want to make everyone in the Treachous Tower challenge arena your bitch, get the upgraded fire rod or the Great Spin upgrade and watch the magic happen.

But whats important to remember that it could be even easier, even more linear, and much slower than it is. This is a game unlike any other Zelda of the past decade in that has no bad parts. No sections that make you groan and think, “Ugh, this intro is going to take forever!” “Why do I have to watch this slow-ass animation EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to turn my boat around!?” “Who thought this fetch quest was fun!?””My goodness, is this text speed slow, I frigging get it already, Nintendo!” By going back to the source, Nintendo has crafted the purest form of Zelda. Its a laser-focused adventure filled with humorous NPCs, a wonderful soundtrack, a renewed faith in the player’s intelligence, and a laundry list of refinements that make the fast-paced mix of combat and exploration more enjoyable than its been in many a year. If its not the best Zelda, its clearly top 3 for me, and I can only pray that the Wii U installment takes some serious lessons from A Link Between Worlds.

9/10
Another great review, bravo.

About 10 hours in, this is one of the best games I've ever played. Perfectly captures and modernizes the essence of classic Zelda by bringing the emphasis back to exploration and away from dungeon hopping.

It also struck me at how no one can pull off "moments" with just the right touch the way Nintendo can. In particular, when you (early game plot point)
get the Master Sword, they play the classic "getting the Master Sword" musical theme, and you're rewarded with a remixed Hyrule overworld theme. I had chills when I heard the fanfare leading into it.

Can't wait to finish this game.

Busaiku

Man, the Swamp Palace boss was pathetic, didn't even touch me.
Funny that
you get the Blue Mail, an item that reduces damage, on the dungeon where the boss is easiest to dodge

Garcia

fuck that baseball minigame. holy shit. fuck it.

You'll eventually figure it out and get above-100-scores in no time. It took me at least 6 tries to finally grasp the mechanics of the game, and 10 more to reach 100 rupees.

Tip: Always go for 3 in a row, and then hit the bird. The game helps you a big deal in order to hit that bird.

Top Bottom