• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2013 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9

jakncoke

Banned
GameBoy last year is #1. Sold nothing. What a failure! ;)

Got to put some kind of limiter on that. Worst November in first 5 years or something. :)

Worst Novembers when the console wasnt declared dead or massively constrained by launch quantity ? Curious what it'd take for Vita/Wii U to escape that or is that a far gone conclusion they'll take 2 of those spots.

Lumyst

Apparently Pachter is predicting Wii U being 65% down, so....that would put it around 157,500.

Reaaaaally don't want to be that number, because holy shit.

EDIT: Beaten by Aquamarine, gotdamn.

What that would tell me is that Nintendo cannot lose the interest of those many new 3DS owners by shifting too many resources to making WiiU software. I predicted around 190K for the WiiU on the basis that games such as Wii Party and Mario and Sonic, previous million sellers on the Wii, both bombed, meaning that "family fun" audience's interest wouldn't be strong enough to save the WiiU.

I was slightly optimistic for Wii U's November: reports of sell-outs at Target, the bundles, praise for Mario, ramped-up advertizing... but the lack of Black Friday PR and the fact that Nintendo's press has only gotten worse since then, as if the people in the know know that the numbers were bad and that's the general talk of the industry, gives me an extremely bad feeling. At this point the 150k number wouldn't really surprise me.

donny2112

Worst Novembers when the console wasnt declared dead or massively constrained by launch quantity ?

Needs to be an objective determination. "Dead" wouldn't work, as there's a good number who would declare the Vita (and maybe even Wii U) "dead" this November, which would exclude them from comparison. Also, at what point is low November numbers indicative of a console already being "dead" vs. "on life support"? :p

Anyways, just to move this forward, here are some numbers.

GameCube in 2004 sold 350K.
Xbox in 2005 sold 188K.
GBA sold ~640K in its last "lively" November, but it was at 30K by the next December. Sucker dropped off the map in a hurry! :lol

jakncoke

Banned
Needs to be an objective determination. "Dead" wouldn't work, as there's a good number who would declare the Vita (and maybe even Wii U) "dead" this November, which would exclude them from comparison. Also, at what point is low November numbers indicative of a console already being "dead" vs. "on life support"? :p

Anyways, just to move this forward, here are some numbers.

GameCube in 2004 sold 350K.
Xbox in 2005 sold 188K.
GBA sold ~640K in its last "lively" November, but it was at 30K by the next December. Sucker dropped off the map in a hurry! :lol

So basically if both sell under 200k which is seeming very likely at this point, they'll be historically low end of the spectrum on known sales? Crazy how things have settled.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
[PS4] 1200K
[PS3] 600K
[XB1] 700K
[360] 600K
[3DS] 700K
[PSV] 200K
[WiiU] 200K

Strike

[360] 570k
[3DS] 1150k
[PS3] 420k
[PS4] 1200k
[PSV] 120k
[WIU] 290k
[XB1] 1000k

Been a while. It's a new gen. Let's see how close I can get.

In the U.S? Not really surprising.
It should be. We know they only shipped 1 mil. total for their "worldwide" launch across NA and the EU, which is what Sony shipped to the US + Canada alone.

This combined with the Xbone launching a weak later and poor yields means that the PS4 should sell more units, and that's without even taking the difference in public opinion of the two into account, not to mention the price difference. I will be very surprised if the Xbone manages to outsell the PS4 any time soon.

Not trying to be a fanboy, and I'm totally willing to eat crow if it turns out that I'm wrong, but just based on the number of units we've seen Sony and MS output per month so far, and the price, I'm confident in saying that the PS4 will have sold just about a million more than the Xbone by the end of FY13.

At least WW, but I don't think the number for NA will be in Microsoft's favour either.

donny2112

So, is this the biggest prediction thread already (in number of entrants)?

Will compare once collating the entries. Biggest in a while, but Cheesemeister got a lot of entrants when he was doing the thread back in 2007, too.

From what I've seen (wasn't here back then), November 2006 was when they started to threaten GAF.

sonycowboy had to delete some old posts back in 2005 from NPD crackdowns. 2006 was when they jumped the shark and discussed things with (and, um, directly misled?) NeoGAF directly. If you go back to the thread where EviLore announced the change, NPD had said they'd provide data to GAF that they never did as a way to soothe the loss of full NPD releases on the site (and garner NeoGAF support in that crackdown, I think).

While it's past the deadline for changes, I wonder what the 2M number released implies for our predictions? Too low?

I imagine the bulk of those sales will be in the US, but only 7 of the 18 days they're referring to would have been in November NPD tracking?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
While it's past the deadline for changes, I wonder what the 2M number released implies for our predictions? Too low?

I imagine the bulk of those sales will be in the US, but only 7 of the 18 days they're referring to would have been in November NPD tracking?

I think it's right in line with November predictions but a higher sell through in December than I thought.

Road

9 days for NPD.

I thought I had changed it from 1.1 million to 998k, but I changed to 889k... That is the worst case scenario now, I think.

Also, I sense pre-emptive damage control PRs are back. November: PS4 > XBO and Microsoft won't say anything tomorrow.

December will probably be XBO > PS4, though.

9 days for NPD.

I thought I had changed it from 1.1 million to 998k, but I changed to 889k... That is the worst case scenario now, I think.

Also, I sense pre-emptive damage control PRs are back. November: PS4 > XBO and Microsoft won't say anything tomorrow.

Oh, oops, calendar/math fail.

Hmm, December will be interesting, in that we have an inkling of what MS have sold in the first third of it already - which I'd peg at about 400-500K perhaps; are you expecting XB1>PS4 due to supply or demand?

Yeah I think it'll likely be this

XB1 stock seemed far more prevalent in December so could totally see it selling more in December

Think PS4 > XB1 for November though

Bruno MB

I predicted 825k for Xbox One, but that's not bad news because it makes XBO > 360 more likely for the correct hardware raking. Now the question is 3DS, I have it between XBO and PS4.

jblqtZQWr2oc2E.jpg

Top Bottom