• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2014 (Jan 13 - Jan 19)

SmokyDave

Weren't we all laughing at the Vita way back when it was skirting 20k? Suddenly it's not only acceptable but actually encouraging that it doesn't freefall past 20k.
I still remember the week when the 3DS outsold the Vita 47 to 1. I remember when 15k was a pipe dream.

Given that, I'll happily pop champagne for every week it's over 20k. As for it being the only system showing any growth this year, well that's just the cherry on the cake.

I'm sticking to my prediction too, it'll be up YoY this year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here's a thought: Are Japanese gamers more inclined to buy big western titles now because they are western games, or simply because of the declining blockbuster output by Japanese developers on consoles?

Yeah but I don't think we have any numbers of the standalone X-2. So it's kinda pointless right now. :(

"Kind of both" is an acceptable answer?

Go vita! Live just like your name means.

In more serious note, I think 3ds has peaked already. They might need to release 2ds there to appeal to more budget conscious gamers. And LOL at WIIU.

Shengar

That GTA V still going strong. I hope Rockstar don't mind having Japan as their next game location ;)
"Japanese gamers will have to lose their interest in Western games eventually." It was something like that, right?
Dragon's Dogma was also very successful there, perhaps taste for open-world games is growing.

How much Dragon's Dogma copies sold on its first week? LTD numbers?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Weren't we all laughing at the Vita way back when it was skirting 20k? Suddenly it's not only acceptable but actually encouraging that it doesn't freefall past 20k.

It's a different world man. You think "2007 salesage-Gaf" would be impressed with the 47k 3DS? They would be like: wtf happened?

Japan is going down down down...

Well every plattform but the Vita at least:

week30ush5.png

*and that's the third week in a row it's looking that way...

lol, i know that X360 sales is very bad in Japan but this is...

L Thammy

Here's a thought: Are Japanese gamers more inclined to buy big western titles now because they are western games, or simply because of the declining blockbuster output by Japanese developers on consoles?

The latter can lead to the former somewhat. I don't think anyone buys western games because they are western games, but they'll start developing an interest if there's little else available. Actually, this might be interesting to watch on the PS4 now that I think about.

How much Dragon's Dogma copies sold on its first week? LTD numbers?

300K first week. I'm seeing 460K LTD in Garaph, but that might be outdated.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Vita posts don't even make sense anymore

When did SmokyDave ever make sense, my friend?

@metalslimer: Eh, it already sold 15 millions, it's not so worrying to see these numbers. Still, Q1 lineup could help in making the drop less important (I feel it's better than last year's). And, probably, 2DS will come this year in Japan, and that should help.

Yeah but I don't think we have any numbers of the standalone X-2. So it's kinda pointless right now. :(

You know what, I don't think its because there are a lack of blockbusters because the western titles that seem to do well are different genre's to "Japanese blockbusters". I mean its weird for a consumer just to buy a game because it has high production values without caring for the gameplay.

I think the Western titles had given more variety to the Japanese industry and filled in genre gaps like FPS MP games.

I think rpgs like Dragons Dogma and Souls are doing so well though because of a lack of big console jrpgs even though there is a clear audience.

Shengar

300K first week. I'm seeing 460K LTD in Garaph, but that might be outdated.

What a strong first week. Guess that's coming from Capcom's brand name eh? Though the leg seems weak. Good perfomance nonetheless. Here's hoping for
no sequel as I don't want them taint the game :(

Seems pretty clear the WiiU is back to sub-10k by next week already; I'm wondering if it'll dip below 5k before the next big release. When is it, March?

Vita being up YoY is encouraging for the platform, so hopefully it can sustain itself this year.

3DS is hella down YoY. What happened to make it relatively crater so badly? Everything is in a post-holiday slump, but it's in 6 digit discrepancy territory.

Occam

The launch of PS4 in Japan is going to be VERY interesting.
Nintendo on the other hand saddens me; it certainly looks like 3DS has passed its peak and hardware sales are in decline.

Go_Ly_Dow

Japan is going down down down...

Well every plattform but the Vita at least:

week30ush5.png

*and that's the third week in a row it's looking that way...

Well all those systems are ageing now and the Wii-u...nothing needs to be said anymore.

Perhaps there is room for the PS4 over the course of several years to make some headway.

The 360 ate away at its sales early on in its life with several big exclusives and a price advantage and its other direct competitor the Wii was a bit of a revelation. These aren't issues now.

Expecting decent launch sales and then a drop of, however just like the PS3 3rd parties won't abandon the platform with the big sellers so it will eventually pick up when those games release.

liger05

Well all those systems are ageing now and the Wii-u...nothing needs to be said anymore.

Perhaps there is room for the PS4 over the course of several years to make some headway.

The 360 ate away at its sales early on in its life with several big exclusives and a price advantage and its other direct competitor the Wii was a bit of a revelation. These aren't issues now.

Expecting decent launch sales and then a drop of, however just like the PS3 3rd parties won't abandon the platform with the big sellers so it will eventually pick up when those games release.

A platform that sold 9k this time last year sells a wopping 24k this year. Is it just me who doesnt think thats too impressive?

duckroll

You know what, I don't think its because there are a lack of blockbusters because the western titles that seem to do well are different genre's to "Japanese blockbusters". I mean its weird for a consumer just to buy a game because it has high production values without caring for the gameplay.

I think the Western titles had given more variety to the Japanese industry and filled in genre gaps like FPS MP games.

I think rpgs like Dragons Dogma and Souls are doing so well though because of a lack of big console jrpgs even though there is a clear audience.

I don't think it matters if the gameplay is different though. If people looking for a steady stream of big console titles are underserved, then they will look for alternatives. That's precisely my point though. In the past, the console audience might not have paid as much attention to big western games, because they were content enough with games which catered to their existing taste. Now that there is less and less of that, it makes sense that if they're looking for more things to play they might go "hey, let's check that out instead" when they might not have done so previously.

Why was 3DS doing better at the start of last year? The software situation now seems a lot more enticing to new owners

Animal Crossing was an astonishing and unexpected driver of hardware.

The huge Mon Hun and Pokémon boost burnt itself out before the holidays, whereas Animal Crossing was released at a time where it could really stretch its legs.

What a strong first week. Guess that's coming from Capcom's brand name eh? Though the leg seems weak. Good perfomance nonetheless. Here's hoping for
no sequel as I don't want them taint the game :(

[PS3] Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) - 302.040 / 467.375
[PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Capcom) - 125.363 / NEW

Probably 600k LTD. Pretty amazing for a new IP.

MadLukas

Banned
Expected numbers all around.

All the ever-selling 3DS games are really cool, also seeing Super Mario World for a few now is also very assuring.

But lets be honest, except the 3DS software sales nobody will be content with their numbers.

Orgen

Why was 3DS doing better at the start of last year? The software situation now seems a lot more enticing to new owners

Wasn't something like the week schedules from the trackers? Something like the last week for 2013 included some January days and the last week for 2012 didn't or something like that...

(Maybe I'm not remembering well).

And Animal Crossing, yeah.

The launch of PS4 in Japan is going to be VERY interesting.
Nintendo on the other hand saddens me; it certainly looks like 3DS has passed its peak and hardware sales are in decline.
Yep. I reckon this was pretty clear when Pokemon and MH couldn't help 3DS beat the previous year's Japanese total. Unless a good price cut or a price cut and new model hit, I expect the system to remain in decline year on year.

3DS Lite please, Nintendo. Better battery life, cheaper and take out the horrible two-toned colours.

Wasn't something like the week schedules from the trackers? Something like the last week for 2013 included some January days and the last week for 2012 didn't or something like that...

(Maybe I'm not remembering well).

And Animal Crossing, yeah.

January 2013 was huge due to permanent lack of Animal Crossing in shops earlier.

Can you imagine if PS4 makes no impact in Japan? The HW sales will be terrible with 3DS plummeting.

Need that next Nintendo handheld 2015.

javac

I'm sticking to my prediction too, it'll be up YoY this year.

It's not even the end of January but I think it's a shoo-in for being the best performing Year for Vita or at least better than last year unless Nintendo do some next level shit lol. Vita is getting some great games this year and I think a lot of people who bought a 3ds over the years will pick up a Vita as a second handheld if 3DS goes through a drought.

Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing was an astonishing and unexpected driver of hardware.

The huge Mon Hun and Pokémon boost burnt itself out before the holidays, whereas Animal Crossing was released at a time where it could really stretch its legs.

Oh right. I forgot that Animal Crossing was a November title. That makes a lot of sense. Still, Pokemon was only out a month longer and its Pokemon. Surprised it couldn't continue to drive for a bit longer than it did.

Shengar

I don't think it matters if the gameplay is different though. If people looking for a steady stream of big console titles are underserved, then they will look for alternatives. That's precisely my point though. In the past, the console audience might not have paid as much attention to big western games, because they were content enough with games which catered to their existing taste. Now that there is less and less of that, it makes sense that if they're looking for more things to play they might go "hey, let's check that out instead" when they might not have done so previously.
Western console games seems indeed begin to fill the gap that the Japanese developers have made. We could take a cue how Watch_Dog made into Famitsu top 20 most wanted game there. I want to say Evil Within, but I guess that don't count since it made by Shinji Mikami. But still, I want to see want influence these western games will bring to the Japanese console industry to come.
Probably 600k LTD. Pretty amazing for a new IP.

Amazing numbers indeed. I thought Dark Arisen will be quite lower than that.

Top Bottom