• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beje

Banned
I don't know about NTSC consoles, but you can do a trick in a PAL Wii to force a VC game to change the video mode and work through component cables:

- Open the game
- Press Home button
- Go to Instructions Booklet (don't know the exact name of the option in English)
- Once inside the instructions, connect a nunchuck and press Z+A+2 at the same time (Z+A+1 undoes the change)
- You will hear a "clinc" sound
- Go back to the game and it should work

Though I think it doesn't work with all the games. If that's the case, you'll have to switch to Composite, RGB or S-Video to make it work. Also, as I have stated above, I don't know if this works in NTSC consoles.

beje said:
I don't know about NTSC consoles, but you can do a trick in a PAL Wii to force a VC game to change the video mode and work through component cables:

- Open the game
- Press Home button
- Go to Instructions Booklet (don't know the exact name of the option in English)
- Once inside the instructions, connect a nunchuck and press Z+A+2 at the same time (Z+A+1 undoes the change)

Though I think it doesn't work with all the games. If that's the case, you'll have to switch to Composite, RGB or S-Video to make it work. Also, as I have stated above, I don't know if this works in NTSC consoles.

I've already enabled this, but the game has to be compatible with the "Component Cable Interlace Mode" for it to have any effect - all new ones should be by default, but all the older ones aren't and have to be updated. The ones I have that I can't play are:

Excite Bike (NES)
Gradius (NES)
Kid Icarus (NES)
R-Type III The Third Lightning (SNES)
Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES)

It's a pain in the arse, and not really feasible or practical to have to keep changing cables and settings when I want a quick go at one of the above. Anyone know how I can start complaining about this? There's no point in bugging CodeStorm as they're just the UK contracted repair peeps.

I know that me sending a few emails won't change much anytime soon, but there's no point bitching about such things if I'm not prepared to at least make some kind of effort towards getting this rectified.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Neo Samus said:
Huelen has been banned.

Wait, really?

If he's not unbanned by the time Sonic and the Black Knight comes out I call the official thread.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm not bailing on the OP. I just started trying to get things together to update the Japanese and European stuff but it seems the Japanese site has been updated with February's stuff. So now I don't know what was new from two days ago. -_- Did anyone save that, is there a compendium somewhere? Damnit to hell.

Anyway, if Huelen is banned, I'm going to put the old banner up there. Well, it'll be slightly changed from the old banner in order to put DSiWare in there. Huelen only updated his banner a couple times anyway, which was kind of annoying to me.

Since a friend of mine just bailed on me for hanging out tonight, it looks like I'll have all the time in the world to get this thread in order! Just give me some time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Lee N said:
I wouldn't call Chotto Suujin Taisen a puzzle game.. it's a board game (think Scrabble, Go, etc). Though there is a puzzle mode (comparable to Chess problems) in the game.

I've played the original game since it was released back in 2007 and it's definitely one of my all time favorite DS games. Re-releasing it on DSiWare is awesome, and I rebought the game there immediately.
I want the single player game, damn you NoA. :(

Capndrake

Danthrax said:
I'm not bailing on the OP. I just started trying to get things together to update the Japanese and European stuff but it seems the Japanese site has been updated with February's stuff. So now I don't know what was new from two days ago. -_- Did anyone save that, is there a compendium somewhere? Damnit to hell.
Getsu Fuuma Den (FC) and Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (PCE CD). Just click the button at the bottom of a system's upcoming games list on the Japanese site to see a full list of games on that system in order of release.

BikoBiko

Monkeylord said:
I've already enabled this, but the game has to be compatible with the "Component Cable Interlace Mode" for it to have any effect - all new ones should be by default, but all the older ones aren't and have to be updated. The ones I have that I can't play are:

Excite Bike (NES)
Gradius (NES)
Kid Icarus (NES)
R-Type III The Third Lightning (SNES)
Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES)

It's a pain in the arse, and not really feasible or practical to have to keep changing cables and settings when I want a quick go at one of the above. Anyone know how I can start complaining about this? There's no point in bugging CodeStorm as they're just the UK contracted repair peeps.

I know that me sending a few emails won't change much anytime soon, but there's no point bitching about such things if I'm not prepared to at least make some kind of effort towards getting this rectified.
Kid Icarus and Comix Zone were among the first games I bought on the VC. I was pretty pissed when I found out they didn't work with my component cables. Especially since I left the other cables at my parents home so I wasn't even able to finish them. I still haven't D:

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Capndrake said:
Getsu Fuuma Den (FC) and Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (PCE CD). Just click the button at the bottom of a system's upcoming games list on the Japanese site to see a full list of games on that system in order of release.

Thank you.

European stuff updated and the banner is changed temporarily.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Okay, Japanese VC updated. I need help with the names and stuff of the four WiiWare games that came out on Tuesday, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Japanese WiiWare section finished, complete with screenshots, which is what took so long.

Could use some translations on the names, though.

On to DSiWare! @_@

[edit] oh dear God there are eight of them?!

Dave Long

Banned
beje said:

- Open the game
- Press Home button

This does work with NTSC consoles as I could not play Baseball Stars 2 without doing this. Of course after doing it, some of my other games don't work right. So it has to be undone for certain games, too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
omigosh is it over? i think it's over!!*

DSiWare update finished, the OP is completely up to date!

It's not really over, I still have to make a new banner, but that can wait until after I eat something. I'll BBL.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Neomoto said:
Japan sure is getting a lot of WiiWare and DSiWare games..

It's only been 8 so far this month, and most of them are not new but rehashes or compilations of old ones.

Capndrake

OFLC update: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II.

That means there's now 5 imports rated for EU/AU, so there must be a Hanabi Festival coming up.

Lee N

Membre
VOOK said:
It's only been 8 so far this month, and most of them are not new but rehashes or compilations of old ones.
Eh, three out of eight were released previously. The other five were completely new.

Capndrake said:
OFLC update: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II.

That means there's now 5 imports rated for EU/AU, so there must be a Hanabi Festival coming up.

So which ones are they (I know there`s Startropics 1 and 2 but what are the rest?)

Jiggy

NOA's three for three on getting me to buy their VC releases in the past weeks, so hopefully tomorrow and the next Monday will bring Super Smash Bros. and Ogre Battle in some order to keep up the pace.

Others welcome, of course, but those are the just-showed-up-in-Japan game and the ESRB-rated game respectively.

Capndrake

Nuclear Muffin said:
So which ones are they (I know there`s Startropics 1 and 2 but what are the rest?)
Smash Ping Pong (FDS), TwinBee (NES), MUSHA (MD), Bomberman '94 (TG16) and of course StarTropics II.

StarTropics isn't an import, it was released in Europe originally and on VC in January 2008.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy said:
NOA's three for three on getting me to buy their VC releases in the past weeks, so hopefully tomorrow and the next Monday will bring Super Smash Bros. and Ogre Battle in some order to keep up the pace.

Others welcome, of course, but those are the just-showed-up-in-Japan game and the ESRB-rated game respectively.

Both of those would be fine by me, but somehow I'm feeling something different.

Something long forgotten.

Yes Boss!

Jiggy said:

This.

I would not mind a dramatically slowed down pace if we get rare things like M.U.S.H.A and SMS Wonder Boy. It seems like the next year or two would be ideal to really role out the rare titles/imports.

Jiggy

jarrod said:
I'm hoping for Ogre Battle or Fantasy Zone II on VC. Gradius ReBirth on WiiWare.
Fantasy Zone II would also be a definite buy for me. As for WiiWare, I really want Bit.Trip: Beat after seeing that latest trailer, but I'm guessing it's not ready just yet.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, they downgraded the LONPOS price to 800 points... that's SOMETHING, I guess. The Hudson Snowboarding game is 1000 points.

I'm not entirely sure why NOA doesn't update their Virtual Console titles on the Nintendo Channel...

Somnid

I just updated my scanner once again to include DSiWare. Unsurprisingly there's not really anything interesting.

Rlan said:
Oh damn, the Nintendo pressroom user/pass has expired. Any help?

The ones I used -
(golin/harris, guest/nintendo and crecenteb/rocky (heh) )
are all expired, so I'm in the same boat. Anyone able to share?

Capndrake

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 2, 2009

If you've got a taste for the eclectic, check out this lively lineup of additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel. One new WiiWare™ title combines brisk winter sports with pulverizing power-ups, while another blends intuitive puzzle dynamics with various multiplayer options. Meanwhile, a classic Virtual Console™ game invites you to assume the role of a certain adventurous hedgehog. With diverse releases like these, players of all stripes are sure to find something they'll love.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Snowboard Riot™ (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): This snowboard racing and battle game can be enjoyed by multiple players and is compatible with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory. In an intense scramble for first place, guide your character down the slopes while snatching up items to attack and defend against rivals along the way. Up to four players can battle and participate in various ranking modes via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection.

LONPOS (Nintendo, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Looking for a puzzle game that anyone can play, but still offers plenty to master? Look no further than LONPOS, with its straightforward premise and large variety of puzzles to solve. Each puzzle revolves around a rectangular playing field of 55 spaces. Using a set of 12 pieces, the goal is to place every piece into the playing field, filling it completely. The higher the level, the more pieces you'll need to fit correctly into the playing field. Challenge yourself with two single-player modes or bring a friend to compete against or cooperate with. When you think your skills are worthy, use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to check out how you compare with other LONPOS players or download additional puzzles and backgrounds. (Router and broadband access required for online play. For more info, go to www.nintendo.com.)

Virtual Console

Sonic Chaos™ (SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Play as Sonic or Tails in Sonic Chaos, which was originally made for the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM. Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) has stolen the Red Chaos Emerald to create nuclear weapons. This has thrown the remaining Chaos Emeralds off balance, causing them to transport to a parallel universe. As a result, Sonic's home, South Island, is sinking into the ocean. Speed through various levels in your crusade for the six Chaos Emeralds. Perform Strike Dashes and Super-Peel Outs as Sonic, or Spin Dash and Fly as Tails, and restore order in Sonic Chaos.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
doesn't look like a good week. lonpos looks like a flash puzzler, snowboard riot looks very basic and repetitive, and sonic chaos.. well admittedly I've never heard of it, but the SMS gems are few and far between...

edit - and I can't believe they didn't even jump on Groundhog's Day??!!!

Wilsongt said:
Another shitty week. Oh well.

Sarcasm?

The past few weeks have been awesome. :/

But yeah this week isn't anything special, Sonic Chaos is FAAAAAAAAR too easy. I remember wanting it so much as a child, but then when I completely finished it with Sonic and Tails in a couple of hours I was like. :(

Conrad Link said:
Sarcasm?

The past few weeks have been awesome. :/

But yeah this week isn't anything special, Sonic Chaos is FAAAAAAAAR too easy. I remember wanting it so much as a child, but then when I completely finished it with Sonic and Tails in a couple of hours I was like. :(
At this point, I think it's safe to assume that statements like that are more about the general feeling of malaise that surrounds the VC rather than a condemnation on the previous week's game.

And, at least I don't have to worry about spending money I don't have.

Edit: I wonder if we'll ever get Flashback: The Quest for Identity. That game was so awesome.

jarrod

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Wow, we actually got a VC release! I was expecting NOA to skip this week since it's so unmemorable!
They might a swell have.

Ugh, so many good possible SMS games (Phantasy Star, Zillion, Psycho Fox, Golden Axe Warrior, Wonderboy III, Fantasy Zone 2, Golvellius, Power Strike, Double Dragon, New Zealand Story, etc) and we have mediocre Sonics accounting for a third the US releases so far. We'll probably get Spinball and Blast before Zillion or Golvellius at this rate. :/

Neo Samus

Sonic Chaos is one of the better SMS/GG sonic from what I remember. I used to play it all the time when I was younger, but that might be nostalgia talking. I was really hoping for Smash this week.... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom